Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Rest In Peace

Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

What a loss. I'm old enough to remember her singing Proud Mary when she was with Ike.
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

A true legend has passed. Tina Turner has died at the age of 83. She was our River Deep and our Mountain High, the Private Dancer in our hearts. She showed us that love really does has everything to do with it, and that we really did need another hero. And she was it. Rest now, Proud Mary. Raise your voice high in the heavens. You were always simply The Best.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Proud Mary, worth a click, so much energy :brokenheart:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Phoenix520 »

:crying: Her legend remains.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Rest In Peace

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:crying: :crying:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
John Thomas8

Rest In Peace

Post by John Thomas8 »

I hope she healed and found peace.
RVInit

Rest In Peace

Post by RVInit »

She put on the best live concert show I ever attended. I saw her years ago, Cyndi Lauper opened for her, and she also amazed me with her live performance.

Godspeed, Tina Turner.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Rest In Peace

Post by Luke »

RV, was at that tour too, there was nobody, just nobody, live like Tina.

This is a profound hit for me and I didn't need another big loss.

I revered Tina and she was a mentor, it was spiritual just being in her presence. I'm in tears thinking of memories with her.

In 2021, BMG acquired rights to Turner's name, image, and likeness for future merchandising and sponsorship deals. It was rumored to be over $50M.

Her last book in 2020, Happiness Becomes You, is a wonderful legacy. I recommend the audiobook because she narrates it.

Here's a 2-hour chant of Tina Turner - Nam Myoho Renge Kyo (2H Buddhist Mantra). I'm about to unplug and listen to it, first time I heard the chant was from Tina.

An incredible life, an incredible talent. I love you, Anna Mae.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Slim Cognito »

Simply the best.

:crying:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

https:// www.facebook.com/watch?v=206874425039119

Another version of Proud Mary. Link won't embed, go watch on FB. Simple the best as Slim says.
John Thomas8

Rest In Peace

Post by John Thomas8 »

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Rest In Peace

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:50 pm https:// www.facebook.com/watch?v=206874425039119

Another version of Proud Mary. Link won't embed, go watch on FB. Simple the best as Slim says.
Here is that one from YouTube
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

Thank you Keith for getting that link. I was too lazy :bag:
John Thomas8

Rest In Peace

Post by John Thomas8 »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Rest In Peace

Post by RTH10260 »

Very long bio in The Guardian
Tina Turner: legendary rock’n’roll singer dies aged 83
Turner who initially found fame in a turbulent musical partnership, became one of the biggest acts in the world as a solo artist and one of the defining

Laura Snapes
Wed 24 May 2023 19.40 BST

Tina Turner, the pioneering rock’n’roll star who became a pop behemoth in the 1980s, has died aged 83 after a long illness.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... es-aged-83
Obituary
Tina Turner obituary
Rock’n’roll singer whose comeback after her turbulent early career made her one of the great superstars of the 1980s and 90s

Adam Sweeting
Thu 25 May 2023 00.26 BST

When Tina Turner, who has died aged 83, walked out on her abusive husband Ike in Dallas, Texas, she feared it would spell the end of her showbusiness career. It was 1976, and she had been performing with Ike for two decades, since she had first jumped onstage and sang with his band at the Manhattan club in East St Louis, Missouri. Yet, although she was desperate and had only 36 cents in her pocket, she was on her way to a renaissance as one of the most successful performers in popular music during the 1980s and 90s.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... r-obituary
chancery
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/lesliemolson/status ... 6008501248
Leslie Molson
@lesliemolson
I have a story about Tina Turner. I worked for CBS News in the 1990s, and one assignment I had at "60 Minutes" was to watch old raw (unedited) interview footage, for some reason I can't recall. So I watched the raw footage of a 1996 Mike Wallace interview with Tina Turner.

Wallace interviewed her at her estate in Nice, and it starts in the usual way with b-roll of them walking the grounds. Then they're sitting across from each other in her sitting room, and right out of the gate— immediately—he's leering, telling her how *sexy* she is.

By this time I'd heard the stories about Wallace's sex-pestery at "60 Minutes" (e.g., snapping women's bras in the hallways). My interactions were only intimidating. I was in charge of booking camera crews and Don Hewitt himself told me to ignore his direct requests and so I did.

Anyway, as they talk Wallace has a confident smirk on his face and goes on about her performances, how *sexual* they are, why are they so sexual, how sexual is she, and so on....

Turner looks at the camera, mimes "cut" and the footage ends abruptly.

When filming resumes, Mike is PROFUSELY apologizing to Tina with a sheepish, serious look on his face, and promising to stick to questions about her career. It's obvious that she gave him what for when the camera stopped rolling and it was glorious! Few people had done that.

It was great to see Tina Turner call him out like that, but to think that she had to deal with that shit from an overpaid, predatory former game show host, despite her being one of the most brilliant talents of the 20th century, is appalling.

The interview as it aired is bad enough, actually—Mike Wallace belittled Tina Turner's talent and also thought nothing of treating her with zero respect, until she threatened to kick him out of her house. Wallace was an asshole of the highest order.
RVInit

Rest In Peace

Post by RVInit »

Off Topic
I was a huge fan of Tina Turner and didn't think I could be more "wowed" or impressed than I already was with her. But reading that story about Wallace and her putting him in his place makes me admire her even more.

I will never forget Bryant Gumbel interviewing Michelle Pfeiffer after Batman Returns where she played Catwoman. Similar to Wallace, he was leering and totally focused on sexuality and all he wanted to talk about was the whip. She turned it on him to the point where he completely lost his composure. On camera. He could barely speak. It was glorious.

Hurrah for Tina Turner and Michelle Pfeiffer.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
keith

Rest In Peace

Post by keith »

Ed Ames, Ames Brothers' Singer And 'Daniel Boone' Star, Dies At 95
Ed Ames, the youngest member of the popular 1950s singing group the Ames Brothers, who later became a successful actor in television and musical theater, has died. He was 95.

The last survivor of the four singing brothers, Ames died May 21 from Alzheimer’s disease, his wife, Jeanne Ames, said Saturday.
On television, Ames was likely best known for his role as Mingo, the Oxford-educated Native American in the 1960s adventure series “Daniel Boone” that starred Fess Parker as the famous frontiersman. He also was the center of a bit on “The Tonight Show” that — thanks to his painfully uncanny aim with a hatchet — became one of the show’s most memorable surprise moments.
As part of the 1950s music scene, he and his brothers were one of numerous pop quartets that included the Four Aces, Four Lads, Gaylords, Hilltoppers, Lancers, Four Knights, Ink Spots and, still around from a previous era, the Mills Brothers. But the Ames Brothers — Ed, Joe, Gene and Vic — had a unique tone: they were basses and baritones, not tenors.

Their recordings of “Rag Mop,” “Sentimental Me” and “Undecided” became big hits, and they launched a busy career appearing on TV variety shows, recording 40 albums and playing in night clubs and auditoriums across the country.
This was my solo for my Senior High School Chorus Concert.

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Kriselda Gray »

It wasn't until they mentioned the Tomahawk bit that I realized I knew who he was. What a way to be remembered though. "Oh yeah, he was the guy who showed Johnny Carson how to do circumcision with a Tomahawk!"

Yes, I feel ashamed of myself.
Volkonski
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Volkonski »

I remember him well from "Daniel Boone" which was on Thursday evenings before "Star Trek".

I thought it was interesting that Ed Ames' character was half native American and half English while Leonard Nimoy's character was half Vulcan and half human.

Hey, I was young. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

RIP
George Maharis, the ruggedly handsome New York-born stage actor who went on to become a 1960s television heartthrob as a star of the series “Route 66,” died on Wednesday at his home in Beverly Hills, Calif. He was 94.

His longtime friend and caretaker, Marc Bahan, confirmed his death.

Mr. Maharis’s greatest fame arose from the role of Buz Murdock, one of two young men who traveled the country in a Corvette convertible, finding a new adventure and drama (and usually a new young woman) each week on CBS’s “Route 66.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/28/arts ... -dead.html
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Rest In Peace

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Good riddance.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Rest In Peace

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Rest In Peace

Post by RTH10260 »

Jim Hines, the first man to break 10 seconds in 100m sprint, dies aged 76
American clocked 9.95 seconds to win 1968 Olympic final
Hines also had NFL career and world record stood for 15 years

PA Media
Mon 5 Jun 2023 23.52 BST

American sprinter Jim Hines, the first man to break the 10-second barrier for the 100 metres, has died aged 76.

Hines clocked 9.95 seconds when winning gold in the 100m at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico, a new world record which stood for 15 years. He also won gold for the USA in the 4x100m relay, while his winning time in the individual event remained an Olympic record until 1988. His death was announced on the Olympic Games’ official website on Monday.

Calvin Smith broke Hines’ 100m world record when running a time of 9.93secs in Colorado in 1983, while Carl Lewis clocked 9.92secs to set a new Olympic best at the Seoul Games in 1988.

Less than a week after his Olympic triumph in Mexico, Hines signed for NFL side Miami Dolphins, but he played only a handful of games before moving on to Kansas City Chiefs, for whom he made just one appearance.

Hines, who also set a world record at 100 yards with a time of 9.1secs in 1967, was born in Arkansas and grew up in California before his sprinting talents earned him a scholarship at Texas Southern University.

Soon after the Olympics, thieves stole Hines’ Olympic medals, his wife’s jewellery and his television from his home in Houston, but the medals were returned in a brown envelope after the sprinter had placed an advert in his local newspaper.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... es-aged-76
keith

Rest In Peace

Post by keith »

Astrud, now that you've passed, we'll all say 'Ahhhhh'

Return to “General Stuff”