Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Media Moves

Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/27/media/cn ... index.html
John King will take on a new role at CNN and step down as the anchor of “Inside Politics,” handing the torch to Dana Bash, who will take over as anchor of the esteemed program later this year, the news network announced Thursday.

King, who also serves as CNN’s chief national correspondent, will take on a new role focused on voters in battleground states during the 2024 presidential election.

“This is my ‘back to the future’ dream assignment,” King said in a statement. “It is my tenth presidential cycle and, given the stakes, I felt it was time to get back to my roots reporting across the country.”

King, who requested the new assignment, will continue to play a key role in CNN’s election and special coverage.

Bash said that she is “thrilled” to be taking over as the anchor of “Inside Politics,” which airs daily at 12 p.m. ET.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Media Moves

Post by raison de arizona »

Vice Is Said to Be Headed for Bankruptcy
The company, which was once valued at $5.7 billion, has been struggling to find a buyer this year.

Vice, the brash digital-media disrupter that charmed giants like Disney and Fox into investing before a stunning crash-landing, is preparing to file for bankruptcy, according to two people with knowledge of its operations.

The filing could come in the coming weeks, according to three people familiar with the matter who weren’t authorized to discuss the potential bankruptcy on the record.

The company has been looking for a buyer, and still might find one, to avoid declaring bankruptcy. More than five companies have expressed interest in acquiring Vice, according to a person briefed on the discussions. The chances of that, however, are growing increasingly slim, said one of the people with knowledge of the potential bankruptcy.

A bankruptcy filing would be a bleak coda to the tumultuous story of Vice, a new-media interloper that sought to supplant the media establishment before persuading it to invest hundreds of millions of dollars. In 2017, after a funding round from the private-equity firm TPG, Vice was worth $5.7 billion. But today, by most accounts, it’s worth a tiny fraction of that.
:snippity:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/01/busi ... uptcy.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
busterbunker

Media Moves

Post by busterbunker »

This Writers' Strike might become a big deal. Especially because nobody writes anymore.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Media Moves

Post by Luke »

Final Buzzfeed Editor's Note:
A Final Editor’s Note
Today, BuzzFeed News goes dark.
Karolina Waclawiak BuzzFeed News Editor-in-Chief
Posted 8 hours ago View 52 comments

If I’m going to be honest, I’m not a fan of writing obituaries.

It’s hard to quantify the impact of someone’s life in a short space, so it feels nearly impossible to capture the impact of an entire newsroom in a final editor’s note. It’s staggering to think about what BuzzFeed News was able to accomplish in just over a decade of existence, which was punctuated by countless journalism awards, including a Pulitzer Prize in 2021.

Our reporting led to the release of innocent people from prison, changed laws, and held power to account, all while making people laugh by pointing out the absurdity of life online and making others very, very angry about seemingly innocuous things. We helped expose R. Kelly’s alleged sex cult; published a searing letter from a Stanford assault victim that sparked a national conversation on campus sexual assault; ran the first interview with an actor who shared his account of an alleged assault by actor Kevin Spacey; created a seismic cultural moment across the world with the words “millennial burnout”; and documented a series of assassinations in the UK with alleged ties to the Kremlin, which became a Pulitzer finalist and a stirring docuseries.

We could do it all — and we did it with ease. Obituaries written about us in other publications have noted that we were the first newsroom to treat internet life as real life, which led to a sea change at legacy media companies. Our alums are scattered across every major media organization in the world. At first it made us nervous to have other outlets constantly coming for our talent, but then it made us proud. Those reporters and editors took what they learned at BuzzFeed News — what I like to call “chaotic good” — and changed the DNA of wherever they went.

We recently published an oral history by the people who powered this pirate ship of “intense but friendly” creative geniuses that is well worth a read. It’s hardly definitive — there’s just too much ground to cover. But what I can say without hesitation is that it’s been an honor to work alongside colleagues who were passionately committed to telling the truth and making people feel seen and heard, all while mentoring and supporting each other in the process. We were all coming up together and there will never be any other newsroom like it.

I’m grateful I had a chance to be a part of BuzzFeed News for over seven years. And for a short time, I had the incredible opportunity to be at the helm.

Thank you so much for being our supporters and readers. Knowing we had the possibility of effecting change kept us going — especially during the most overwhelming days inside the news cycle.

Our archives aren’t going away and our stories will remain as true and meaningful as the day we published them. Even though we’re shutting down, the internet lasts forever — so in a way, we will too. — Karolina Waclawiak, Editor-in-Chief
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... r-AA1bjf3P
CNN’s Kaitlan Collins will anchor a new show at 9 pm starting in June, CNN CEO Chris Licht announced Wednesday.

In the new evening show, Collins will “showcase why she’s one of the top reporters and interviewers in the game,” Licht said in an internal memo to employees. “She is a smart and gifted journalist who we’ve all seen hold lawmakers and newsmakers accountable. She pushes politicians off their talking points, gets real answers — and as everyone who’s worked with her knows — breaks a lot of news.”

Her appointment fills a vacant slot that had been left open since the departure of former anchor Chris Cuomo, who was terminated by the network in December 2021. Since then, the 9 pm slot was hosted by a cast of CNN anchors, special interviews and town halls.

Licht said Collins will leave the CNN This Morning show, which will be led by Poppy Harlow “alongside a rotation of CNN guest anchors.” Collins’ departure from the morning show is the second in a month after Don Lemon parted ways with CNN in April. The trio hosted the morning show for just five months since its November 2022 launch.
Kaitlan and Poppy said their goodbyes on this morning's show.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Media Moves

Post by Luke »

I'm not a big Kaitlan Collins fan... just a few years ago she was the entertainment reporter for Daily Caller. Having her out on beats shows her strengths. Not sure being at an anchor desk as Larry King is her best position. But we'll see. I do like seeing younger hosts, and having more women in top spots is good.

Tim Alberta has a massive story in The Atlantic about Chris Licht. He agreed to interviews back to fall 2022. It doesn't show him off well. Unlike the Variety Don Lemon hit piece, this seems like Chris didn't realize how out of touch and dismal he looks. Tim gives an example, Chris turned Zucker's old office on the 17th floor (right by the bullpen and studios) into a conference room and moved to a secluded 22nd floor office. Nobody knows what he's doing up there. While not planted, if Zaslov (Warner Bros Discovery head) wants to take him out this will do it. If he stays, he has the worst job in news (Scarborough and Colbert told him not to take it). A fine weekend read.

INSIDE THE MELTDOWN AT CNN
CEO Chris Licht felt he was on a mission to restore the network’s reputation for serious journalism. How did it all go wrong?
By Tim Alberta
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... mp/674255/
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Luke

Media Moves

Post by Luke »

Faster than I expected, but the T**** Town Hall was a deadly last straw for many. All the ratings will go up next year with an election, but CNN has lost its way. Hopefully, Chris can just focus on programming and stop the stupid moves.
Mike Sington @MikeSington 1h
The captain of the Titanic steps aside. CNN CEO Chris Licht has ceded control of business operations to David Leavy, chief corporate officer for CNN’s parent company. In Licht’s year as CEO, CNN’s ratings, revenue, and reputation have plummeted.
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

Good riddance.
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 65b58&ei=9
Chris Licht told Donald Trump to "have fun" before the network's controversial town hall for the republican presidential candidate in May.

In the recent profile of the CNN CEO, journalist Tim Alberta got to the bottom on the network's decision to give the polarizing politician a platform and how the crowd was filled with MAGA supporters.

According to Alberta, Licht knew the audience would have Trump's die-hard fans rather than the "GOP-leaning independents" CNN advertised to its watchers. The executive reportedly even commented on the crowd being "extra Trumpy" for the television event.

Alberta also uncovered that Licht told reporters working that night, "the way to deal with a bully like Trump … was to confront him with facts."

The overall strategy for the town hall was to regain moderate viewers Licht believes CNN lost due to their harsh coverage of Trump.

Licht allegedly told employees that the network had "lost its way under former president Jeff Zucker." He also claimed CNN’s reporting on the former commander-in-chief "alienated a broader viewership that craved sober, fact-driven coverage."
Suranis

Media Moves

Post by Suranis »

A gift link of the Atlantic article on Chris Licht. Well worth reading.

https://archive.is/nCAiN

Is he still in charge of News and Programming?
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Media Moves

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Alberta also uncovered that Licht told reporters working that night, "the way to deal with a bully like Trump … was to confront him with facts."
Someone is WAAAAAY behind on his reading about malignant narcissists and abuse and control dynamics.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... ss-welker/
Chuck Todd, who has served as moderator of NBC’s Sunday morning talk show “Meet the Press” since 2014, will pass the baton to colleague Kristen Welker in September.

Todd, who will become NBC’s chief political analyst, made the announcement on Sunday morning’s edition of the show. “When I took over ‘Meet the Press,’ it was a Sunday show that had a lot of people questioning whether it still could have a place in the modern media space,” he said. “Well, I think we’ve answered that question and then some.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Media Moves

Post by Reality Check »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:50 am https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... ss-welker/
Chuck Todd, who has served as moderator of NBC’s Sunday morning talk show “Meet the Press” since 2014, will pass the baton to colleague Kristen Welker in September.

Todd, who will become NBC’s chief political analyst, made the announcement on Sunday morning’s edition of the show. “When I took over ‘Meet the Press,’ it was a Sunday show that had a lot of people questioning whether it still could have a place in the modern media space,” he said. “Well, I think we’ve answered that question and then some.”
Except the answer is not the one Chuck thinks it is. :fingerwag:
Dr. Ken

Media Moves

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Dave from down under

Media Moves

Post by Dave from down under »

Everything that Trump touches dies..,

Chris Licht is now Chris Litch.. 🧟
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

somerset

Media Moves

Post by somerset »

I hear Britebart is looking for a program director…
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

Staying with CNN, just not behind the desk at Inside Politics, John King signed off at the end of today's show. I hope someone made a clip of his sign off, he was looking pretty weepy by the end of it. Next week, ex-wife Dana Bash takes over as host.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Media Moves

Post by Reality Check »

On yesterday's Countdown podcast Keith O. was quoting figures that CNN's Q1 ad revenue was down over 40% vs. the same quarter last year. This compared to drops of around 6% for Faux and MSNBC. The Vanity Fair interview provided a lot of ammo for canning Licht too.
Luke

Media Moves

Post by Luke »

This is going to be enormous for the news industry (and really, all websites). Google has started a pilot program, but Brave is already doing it. Search results are now going to use AI at the top of the page and provide summaries (Brave calls them "Summarizers:), thereby bypassing the need to click to another webpage.

Unfortunately, Typio Form Recovery doesn't work anymore... was looking for an alternative and this popped up on Brave. This is going to happen quickly, it's easy to add. News publishers are going to be hugely impacted when casual consumers can get brief answers to their questions.

AI Summarizer.JPG
AI Summarizer.JPG (91.49 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
Kendra

Media Moves

Post by Kendra »

Geraldo has been canned from The Five.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Media Moves

Post by RTH10260 »

How John Oliver became a weapon in Reddit’s civil war
Moderators flood feeds with pictures of TV comic as they fight owners’ plans to go public

Alex Hern, UK technology editor
Tue 20 Jun 2023 16.42 BST

A civil war between Reddit’s owners and the volunteer moderators it relies on has taken an odd turn, with some of the biggest “subreddits” on the site devoting themselves to sharing pictures of one man and one man only – British TV comic John Oliver – in a cunning play in an increasingly fractious battle.

What is the war over?

Reddit’s owners are planning to take the company public, and need to boost revenue from the social news site before they do. As well as advertising, the site has long made money from its Reddit Gold subscription service, and sells users the ability to send each other the status, along with badges and icons, as rewards for making quality posts.

In recent months, Reddit has experimented with other revenue sources, such as selling non-fungible tokens (NFTs). But its most recent change has been even more controversial: it decided to introduce a hefty charge for users of its API, the system that allows other software and apps to connect to Reddit.

Who is against that?

The API has lots of users. Some, such as large data-scraping firms, are the direct target of change – Reddit says it wants these companies, which use Reddit data to train systems such as ChatGPT, to pay up. But in the process, it has also blocked others, including popular apps that normal users rely on to browse the site.

The biggest controversy has been among the volunteer moderators of the site. These users, who are unpaid, perform most of the labour required to make the site operate on a day-to-day basis, deleting spam, enforcing rules, and corralling the users of their own “subreddits”, the user-created forums around which conversation is oriented.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -civil-war
John Thomas8

Media Moves

Post by John Thomas8 »

The API charges for the individual developers for apps like Apollo (Apple) and Reddit is Fun (Android) have made it that those and all other 3rd party apps to end access on 30 Jun 23. Apollo noted that their API charges will jump to $1.7 million/month, something just not affordable for one dude writing an phone app.

It's quite obnoxious.

Reddit's own app has 0 moderator tools and is all around one of the worst apps written for either Apple or Android.
John Thomas8

Media Moves

Post by John Thomas8 »

Oh, and in Disney's on-going shedding of media host contracts, Keyshawn, JWill and Max has been cancelled.

https://www.si.com/media/2023/06/21/esp ... y-williams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Media Moves

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/media/fox-news- ... -rcna91163
Jesse Watters, a Fox News host who rose from production assistant to one of the conservative cable network’s biggest stars, will take over the 8 p.m. programming time slot vacated by Tucker Carlson, the company announced Monday.

In a statement, Fox News confirmed other changes for the network's prime-time lineup: Laura Ingraham’s show will kick off evenings at 7 p.m. ET, Sean Hannity will remain in the 9 p.m. ET slot and Greg Gutfeld's late-night broadcast will move to 10 p.m. ET.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”