COPS behaving badly

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Man dies after going days in Duval County jail without medication, family says

Anne Maxwell, I-TEAM and general assignment reporter
Published: May 24, 2023 at 5:21 PM Updated: May 24, 2023 at 7:30 PM

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The family of a Jacksonville man says he died in November after going two days in the Duval County jail without the medication he needed to survive.

Dexter Barry was 54 years old. Police video shows him repeatedly telling the arresting officer he needs his medication because he was a heart transplant recipient.

The incident, which was first reported by The Tributary, raises questions about how the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office provides healthcare to inmates. Barry’s attorney and his family claim his death is the result of a systemic problem.

“Never in a million years would have thought we wouldn’t lose our dad, let alone in the way that he passed,” said Barry’s daughter Janelle King.

Barry leaves behind a wife and four children, including King and Dexter Barry Jr.

“My dad was like my best friend my whole life,” said Dexter Barry Jr.

Police footage shows Dexter Barry in the back of a police car on Nov. 18, 2022, telling the officer he has to have his medication.

“I take rejection medicine for my heart transplant,” he said. “I can’t miss no doses.”

Patients with organ transplants take daily medication to keep their bodies from rejecting the transplant. According to Duke Health, if anti-rejection medications are stopped, rejection can occur quickly and can result in a permanent decline in heart function and death.

“My medicine costs $2,000. I go to Mayo for my medicine,” Barry is heard saying in the JSO video.

He explained he waited more than two years to get the heart transplant. The officer tells him he can get his meds at the jail.

“If something happens to me because of my heart, there’s going to be a problem,” Barry said.

“Just make sure you tell them,” the officer said.

“Yeah, I’m going to tell them,” Barry responded.

Attorney Andrew Bonderud, who represents Barry’s family, says a report from 2022 showed Barry was doing well after the transplant a few years prior.

“After the heart transplant, [Barry was] doing great as recently as the spring of 2022. He had a checkup, where they actually biopsied the transplanted heart. And it was a healthy, stable heart,” Bonderud said. “He was taking his medication like he should three times a day. And then November rolls around, and he had had a dispute with a neighbor.”

That’s when Barry was arrested on a charge of simple assault. He and his neighbor had a dispute over the WiFi.

“I didn’t put my hands on him,” Barry said in the police car.

“You’re confusing assault for battery, the officer responded. “Battery is physical contact. Assault is a threat by words to cause harm, causing fear.”

Barry was booked into jail and appeared before a judge the following day. The court transcript shows he told the judge he hadn’t taken his medication all day.

The judge responded, “OK” and set a bond of $503.

Jail records show Barry bonded out Sunday, Nov. 20, after being arrested on Friday, Nov. 18.

“He didn’t sound like himself that Monday when I spoke to him,” said Dexter Barry Jr. “You could hear a shortness of breath, and his words were jumbled like his body was starting to shut down.”

He says his dad went to the hospital, but three days later, he died at UF Health. Barry’s death certificate shows his heart stopped, but an autopsy was not performed.

The family hired their own pathologist to conduct a report. The pathologist wrote the cause of death was cardiac arrest, but said, “I do not feel qualified to give a professional opinion as to the effect of discontinuation of the anti-immune therapy to this patient for 2-3 days.”

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/202 ... mily-says/
W. Kevin Vicklund

COPS behaving badly

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Written three years ago, after the George Floyd murder. I'm not sure if I ever posted it on OldBow.
LISTEN

We brought you all here
And called you sub-human
Denied you a voice
And your dignity
Some of us listened
It wasn’t enough
We made you into slaves
And then the world exploded

We gave you your voice
But said you were lesser
Denied even that
Whenever we could
Some of us listened
It wasn’t enough
Jim Crow and KKK

We denied you respect
Separate and unequal
We demanded thanks
And nonviolent protest
Some of us listened
It wasn’t enough
We killed MLK

We demand you comply
Or stay in your place
Arrests in excess
You die without cause
Some of us listen
It’s never enough
Say now their names
See now the world exploding

If we still ignore you
Make your voice even louder
We refuse to hear
Until we can’t any longer
Unless all of us listen
It won’t be enough
On us is the blame
For this world that’s exploding

- Kevin Vicklund
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

COPS behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 8:58 pm
‘What Did I Do Wrong?’ 11-Year-Old Boy Shot By Cop After Calling For Help
The family is calling for the officer to be fired and charged.
:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/ak3eaa/ ... y-shooting
Interview with the 11yo boy and his family, video at link.
:snippity: "I came out of the room like this," Aderrien said with his hands above his head as he reflected on the incident in an interview with "GMA3" co-anchor DeMarco Morgan.

“It felt like a Taser, like a big punch to the chest,” he added.

Aderrien said that he ran to his mother, who was standing outside, after he got shot.

"I was bleeding -- bleeding from my mouth. Then I would just remember singing a song," he said.

Asked what song he was singing, Aderrien said, "No weapon formed against me -- prosper shall."

The line is a reference to a Bible verse, Isaiah 54:17: "No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper." :snippity:
https://www.goodmorningamerica.com/news ... e-99678505
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

COPS behaving badly

Post by neonzx »

I like the way the family attorney describes the current situation. The shooter "suspended with pay"" means paid vacation time.

That officer needs to be gone and likely prosecuted.

The boy is going to get paid in the end of this.
sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:03 pm I like the way the family attorney describes the current situation. The shooter "suspended with pay"" means paid vacation time.

That officer needs to be gone and likely prosecuted.

The boy is going to get paid in the end of this.
Not exactly. During your regular duty hours, you are restricted to your home and have regular check-ins while on restricted duty. You can lie around on your ass all day but you can't make groceries or go for a nice scenic drive or anything else you wouldn't be allowed to do while on duty.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

COPS behaving badly

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 9:14 pm Not exactly. During your regular duty hours, you are restricted to your home and have regular check-ins while on restricted duty. You can lie around on your ass all day but you can't make groceries or go for a nice scenic drive or anything else you wouldn't be allowed to do while on duty.
Oh, I did get that and know that. It is SOP (standard operating procedure) to suspend an officer who discharges his/her service weapon while on duty until an investigation is complete.

I just find it clever the family attorney is using this in the media (thus public) and sit around getting paid.

. Hey, maybe don't shoot unarmed kids?

Sounds reasonable to an average citizen. Maybe not in Missouri or wherever.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

COPS behaving badly

Post by Greatgrey »

Heyburn, Idaho

Couple of dogs loose on I-84 causing traffic to slow. Speed limit is 80.

Rescuers show up to get the dogs and are almost successful when the cops come screeching up and spook the dogs away.

Subsequent attempts to get the pups fail and a Heyburn cop shows up, pulls out an AR-15 and shoots them both. He’s a fucking bad shot, from what looks to be less than 15 yards he can’t manage anything better than a hip shot on the Great Pyrenees.

There were rescuers and witnesses pleading for the dogs, but…

So Heyburn is along the Snake River, Southeast Idaho, heavily LDS & agriculture.

If those had been some LDS Bishop’s prized Holsteins the cops would have shut the freeway down for 2 miles.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

Despicable. And then some. I hope these cops lose their jobs.
TW: Gf and I spent the night in jail thanks to a homophobe, we're devastated

So I was playing mini golf with my gf. We were at a pretty crowded outdoor place, and there was a family with kids behind us. At one point we kissed and the mom stormed over all upset saying "How dare you. Disgusting. What if my kids see? You should be ashamed." In response I kissed my gf a minute later right as her daughter was putting. We're both so fed up with homophobia that we have a lot of anger built up and wanted to get back at her. Not like we did anything wrong though.

The woman called somebody on the phone and then just stared at us, smirking. About 15 minutes later two police officers pulled out guns and told us to get our hands in the air. My girlfriend was shaking and in tears as they handcuffed us. She's black. I can only imagine the sorts of things running through her head at this point.

So I'm trying to explain to the police that we didn't do anything, they just tell me to shut the fuck up. By now I'm half sure one of us is gonna get shot. Finally after I said for the 900th time "We haven't broken the law," one of the cops replied with "Sexual harassment of a minor is a felony." Thinking as quickly as I could I said "Ask the children. They'll tell you we didn't do anything."

They just tell me to shut up again, and we get paraded off the course in handcuffs and thrown into a police car.

After a few hours in a holding cell they finally let us go. I don't want to relive that experience or even talk about it here. I've never seen my girlfriend so devastated in my life. She looked like she had just gone through torture. It was like the light in her eyes was flicked off. Once we got home she just sat on the couch hyperventilating, with her hands on her head and legs against her chest. I tried to comfort her but she smacked my hand away. I didn't get a word out of her until morning.
:snippity:
Original Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/actuallesbians ... anks_to_a/
Follow up: https://www.reddit.com/r/actuallesbians ... il_update/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

COPS behaving badly

Post by pipistrelle »

This is the interesting part.
After doing a little digging I found the pos who did this to me on social media. Both of the officers who arrested us are following her on multiple platforms, with comments on her posts going back years. They obviously knew each other and I'm guessing that she didn't call 911, but she called her 'friends' to do a favor for her, to scare the gay out of us or some shit. They knew they didn't have any evidence cuz we got let out, not bail or anything, after only a few hours.
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Sounds to me they would have a sound case for a federal lawsuit based on false arrest.
Dave from down under

COPS behaving badly

Post by Dave from down under »

But the personal cost might be too high and there could be a lot of danger along the way in holding these cops accountable for their actions.

I hope the cops are held accountable and that the couple do not suffer in doing so.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

COPS behaving badly

Post by Greatgrey »

Well this guy is a real POS.

Cop’s “girlfriend” steals his car 44 times!

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
jcolvin2
Verified:

COPS behaving badly

Post by jcolvin2 »

Greatgrey wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:58 am Well this guy is a real POS.

Cop’s “girlfriend” steals his car 44 times!
Maybe she stole his car and went on a parking spree?

Back in 1990 or so, I sold my 8 year old Plymouth Reliant for $700. I fortunately filed the Seller Report of Vehicle Sale. The purchaser never registered the car in his name. Within 60 days the purchaser had accumulated $1,500 in tickets, and the car had been impounded. The police came to me, but I was able to prove that I had sold the car.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

COPS behaving badly

Post by Ben-Prime »

Greatgrey wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:58 am
You guys, she's totally real. She just lives in Canada, which is why you never met her.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

COPS behaving badly

Post by Foggy »

If'n she lives in Canada, of course she had to steal his car 44 times. To go home at night.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

COPS behaving badly

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mis ... p-99999853
Mississippi civil rights lawyer arrested filming traffic stop, attorney says
A Mississippi civil rights lawyer has been arrested while filming a traffic stop conducted by officers from a police department she is suing in federal court

JACKSON, Miss. -- A Mississippi civil rights lawyer was arrested Saturday after filming a traffic stop conducted by officers from a police department she is suing in federal court, her attorney says.

Jill Collen Jefferson is the president of JULIAN, the civil rights organization that filed a federal lawsuit last year against the Lexington Police Department on behalf of a group of city residents. Michael Carr, Jefferson's attorney, told The Associated Press she was arrested late Saturday evening after she filmed officers after they pulled someone over.

The Lexington Police Department did not immediately respond to request for comment in voicemails and phone calls.

Jefferson was arrested nine days after Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke of the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division traveled to Lexington to meet with community members about allegations of police brutality in the small town.

Jefferson's lawsuit claims police have subjected Lexington residents to false arrests, excessive force and intimidation.

“As an advocate for her clients, Jill Jefferson believes that this pattern and practice has happened to citizens in Lexington," Carr said. "Through this experience, she is showing the state, the area and possibly the nation the corrupt practices of this city.”

Carr said Jefferson complied with a request to produce identification and questioned why the officers had approached her as she filmed on a public street. She was arrested and charged with three misdemeanors: failure to comply, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Jefferson was booked in the Holmes County Jail, where she remains pending a court hearing, which hadn't been scheduled as of Sunday morning.

Carr said Police Chief Charles Henderson eventually agreed to release her without posting bond. But Jefferson refuses to pay a $35 processing fee levied by the jail for her release because she believes her arrest was unlawful.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

We clearly have differing opinions of what is reckless. I, for instance, find shooting an 11yo that is 100% following police instructions in the chest reckless. YMMV.
Mississippi Officer Who Shot Unarmed 11-Year-Old Suspended Without Pay
An attorney for the Indianola police officer called the shooting of Aderrien Murry "a total freak accident ... not reckless at all."

A Mississippi police officer who shot an unarmed 11-year-old boy while responding to the child’s 911 call has been suspended without pay, a move his attorney says was to save money and not an indicator of blame.

The Indianola Board of Aldermen voted in a closed-door meeting Monday to suspend Sgt. Greg Capers, who wounded Aderrien Murry at his home on May 20, attorney Michael Carr told HuffPost on Wednesday.

“The city of Indianola doesn’t want to have to keep someone on their payroll who cannot work,” Carr said. “It’s not that there’s any new evidence. There’s been no discovery, there’s been no finding of guilt by anybody.”
Capers was suspended with pay following the shooting, which left the boy briefly hospitalized with a collapsed lung, lacerated liver and fractured ribs, according to a $5 million lawsuit filed by his family against the officer and the Indianola Police Department.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/indianol ... eb911306a2
Dave from down under

COPS behaving badly

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-17/ ... /102491390

The US Justice Department has issued a withering critique of Minneapolis police, alleging officers systematically discriminated against racial minorities, violated constitutional rights and disregarded the safety of people in custody for years before George Floyd was killed.

Key points:

The city agreed to reform the police department as a result of the investigation
The report alleged that police for years used weapons against people who committed minor or no offences
The US attorney-general said the observerd patterns in police behaviours made what happened to George Floyd possible
The two-year investigation was launched in April 2021 after a white former police officer, Derek Chauvin, was convicted of murdering Mr Floyd, a black man, by kneeling on his neck for more than nine minutes after he had been handcuffed.

The investigation found that Minneapolis officers used excessive force, including "unjustified deadly force", and violated the rights of people engaged in constitutionally protected speech.

The inquiry also concluded that both police and the city discriminated against black and Native American people and those with "behavioural health disabilities".

The city has agreed to negotiate an agreement with the Justice Department on reforming the police department, US Attorney-General Merrick Garland said.

The agreement, known as a consent decree, will be overseen by a federal judge.

"We found that the Minneapolis Police Department routinely uses excessive force, often when no force is necessary, including unjust deadly force and unreasonable use of tasers," Mr Garland told a press conference at the city's federal courthouse.
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

AZ specifically but mentions DOJ investigation of other police forces

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Mississippi sheriff's deputies fired after Black men allege torture and attempted sexual assault in $400 million lawsuit
One of the men was nearly killed when an officer put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger, the lawsuit says.

June 29, 2023, 3:51 AM CEST
By Phil McCausland

A Mississippi sheriff’s department said Tuesday it had fired multiple deputies after two Black men accused them in a federal lawsuit of beating, torturing and sexually violating them. One of the men was nearly killed when an officer put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger, the lawsuit says.

The two men, Michael Jenkins, 32, and Eddie Parker, 35, filed the $400 million federal lawsuit against the Rankin County Sheriff's Department this month. The lawsuit describes the deputies’ alleged actions as “one of the worst and most bizarre incidents of police misconduct in United States history.”

“Due to recent developments, including findings during our internal investigation, those deputies that are still employed by this department have all been terminated,” Sheriff Bryan Bailey said Tuesday, reading from a prepared statement. The department declined to say how many deputies were fired.

“We understand that the alleged actions of the deputies have eroded the public’s trust in our department,” added Bailey, who is named in the lawsuit. “Rest assured that we will work diligently to restore that trust.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mi ... -rcna91732
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

COPS behaving badly

Post by Slim Cognito »

:fuckyou:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

COPS behaving badly

Post by poplove »

Former Van Zandt County chief deputy gets 44 months in prison for striking handcuffed arrestee

https://www.kltv.com/video/2023/06/01/f ... -arrestee/
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

Twist ending, there has to be an article about this somewhere.
sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pablo-vazq ... -colorado/
Rios-Gonzalez suffered serious injuries following the collision, but has since been released from the hospital, according to CBS Colorado.
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:12 pm https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pablo-vazq ... -colorado/
Rios-Gonzalez suffered serious injuries following the collision, but has since been released from the hospital, according to CBS Colorado.
Thanks Sugar!

That was terrifying, and a reminder to NEVER stop on the tracks. Not ever. Not even for a quick second in the heat of the moment. Just don't do it.

Hate reading stuff like this:
A CBS News Colorado investigation found that Vazquez had previously been labeled as a "significant" liability risk by another department he worked at.
If he was a significant risk, then why was he still a cop? Don't take those risks.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”