Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Special Counsel Jack Smith: Judgement Day (one way or the other)

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

somerset wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:06 pm Here's a link to the video

https:// youtu.be/6SbW4C0ikSw
Thank you. OT, but I love Weisman's loft :thumbsup:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Tomorrow, Jack....
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:21 pm Tomorrow, Jack....
There hasn't yet been any announcement that the DOJ will be giving a press conference later today, so probably not today. :crying: :crying: :crying: . And Trump hasn't completely exploded (I know, I know).

For the IAALs - I was thinking it would probably be likely that Trump's lawyers will get a heads up and will be informed of any charges (if there are any) before an announcement is made to the general public. Is that probably how it would go?
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.justsecurity.org/86771/mode ... documents/
This model prosecution memorandum assesses potential charges federal prosecutors may bring against former President Donald Trump. It focuses on those emanating from his handling of classified documents and other government records since leaving office on January 20, 2021. It includes crimes related to the removal and retention of national security information and obstruction of the investigation into his handling of these documents. The authors have decades of experience as federal prosecutors and defense lawyers, as well as other legal expertise. Based upon this experience and the analysis that follows, we conclude that Trump should–and likely will–be charged.

Before indicting a case, prosecutors prepare a prosecution memo (or “pros memo”) that lays out admissible evidence, possible charges, and legal issues. This document provides a basis for prosecutors and their supervisors to assess whether the case meets the standard set forth in the Federal Principles of Prosecution, which permit prosecution only when there is sufficient evidence to obtain and sustain a conviction. Before a decision is made about bringing charges against Trump (and co-conspirators, if any), prosecutors will prepare such a memo.

There is sufficient evidence to obtain and sustain a conviction here, if the information gleaned from government filings and statements and voluminous public reporting is accurate. Indeed, the DOJ is likely now, or shortly will be, internally circulating a pros memo of its own saying so. That DOJ memo will, however, be highly confidential, in part because it will contain information derived through the grand jury and attorney work product. Since it will not be publicly available, we offer this analysis. Ours is likely more detailed than what DOJ will prepare internally for explanatory purposes. But, given the gravity of the issues here, our memo provides a sense of how prosecutors will assemble and evaluate the considerations that they must assess before making a prosecution decision.
https://www.justsecurity.org/wp-content ... e-2023.pdf
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/02/politics ... index.html
Attorneys for Donald Trump turned over material in mid-March in response to a federal subpoena related to a classified US military document described by the former president on tape in 2021 but were unable to find the document itself, two sources tell CNN.

Prosecutors issued the subpoena shortly after asking a Trump aide before a federal grand jury about the audio recording of a July 2021 meeting at Trump’s golf course in Bedminster, New Jersey. On the recording, Trump acknowledges he held onto a classified Pentagon document about a potential attack on Iran.

Trump captured on tape talking about classified document he kept after leaving the White House
Prosecutors sought “any and all” documents and materials related to Mark Milley, Trump’s chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Iran, including maps or invasion plans, the sources say. A similar subpoena was sent to at least one other attendee of the meeting, another source tells CNN.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Is the "March" subpoena the original one, or this a new one issued in March of 2023?
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RVInit wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:51 pm Is the "March" subpoena the original one, or this a new one issued in March of 2023?
I am not sure. Deadline WH just starting and it looks like Nicolle is taking a deep dive.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:01 pm
RVInit wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:51 pm Is the "March" subpoena the original one, or this a new one issued in March of 2023?
I am not sure. Deadline WH just starting and it looks like Nicolle is taking a deep dive.
Thanks for the reminder about Nicolle's show. She comes on so early, I usually miss it because by the time I think about whether it's time yet...it's over.
--Colin Kaepernick
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:01 pm
Sounds like March of this year.
The subpoenas were issued immediately after Trump aide Margo Martin, who attended the meeting, appeared before the grand jury in Smith’s investigation and was asked about it. That’s also when Trump’s legal team found out prosecutors had the recording.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Who wants to bet that the documents in question are ready in Saudi hands?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I'll bet Russian hands.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Why not both?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:58 pm Who wants to bet that the documents in question are ready in Saudi hands?
I'm extremely certain that Trump sold the Iran document to the Saudis, because it's what he does. The question is, how does Jack Smith prove it? Who would know about the deal? Who would have arranged it, brokered it, and executed it?

(Narrator: Jared would know.)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Considering that Iran and Saudi Arabia are at odds with each other, the Saudis would be very much interested to see how a US intervention would look like and what they know more about the Iranian internas. I guess they may have received at least a sneak preview.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

There is a reason why Jared got his Saudi billions..
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

HUNTER BIDENS LAPTOP
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:47 pm Why not both?
How do you suppose Russia paid for those Iranian drones?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump Docs: In confirming that Trump's lawyers did not locate the memo he referenced in the Bedminster meeting, NYT also just named another attendee at that meeting: Liz Harrington, a spokesperson for the former president. 1/
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Just speculation, but still...

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Slightly wrong, Ramaswamy does not have such a firm, but used a consulting firm that promoted LIV and had to register as foreign agent for the Saudis.
Ramaswamy fires consultants who worked simultaneously for LIV golf
Recent filings showed just how intertwined foreign entities and U.S. presidential politics can be.

By CAITLIN OPRYSKO and HAILEY FUCHS
05/30/2023 04:44 PM EDT Updated: 05/30/2023 08:54 PM EDT

Vivek Ramaswamy has fired one of the firms consulting for his presidential campaign after it was revealed that the firm had simultaneously been doing public relations work for a major Saudi-backed entity.

Gitcho Goodwin, the firm led by longtime political operatives Gail Gitcho and Henry Goodwin, registered retroactively on May 25 as foreign agents for the Saudi-funded LIV Golf league. The firm revealed that it drafted marketing materials, conducted media training for players, and advised the golf league on its corporate social responsibility strategy, according to a new Foreign Agents Registration Act filing.

An April memo sent out by Ramaswamy’s campaign CEO described both Gitcho and Goodwin as “senior advisors” to the candidate. But after POLITICO published the details of the firm’s work with LIV Golf, campaign spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin sought to downplay the strategists’ role with the campaign. Later she said that the campaign was no longer working with Gitcho Goodwin effective immediately.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/3 ... f-00099317
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Well, what do you know. A consulting firm with indirect ties to Trump just happens to end up working for a competitor's campaign? Makes you wonder whose interest they really had in mind. It wouldn't surprise me if Trump has plants in every single campaign. It's not as if he is able to get ethical people to work for him at this point.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

MSNBC reporting on air that grand jury on the docs case, who has been on a break, is set to meet again. Speculation being are they hearing more evidence or is it indictment time?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:11 pm MSNBC reporting on air that grand jury on the docs case, who has been on a break, is set to meet again. Speculation being are they hearing more evidence or is it indictment time?
Part of the problem is they can barely hear from another witness before uncovering even more crime. It could take years to uncover it all. I really do hope an indictment comes soon on the documents case though. I hasn't hurt him with the base, but apparently it is hurting him with Independents.
--Colin Kaepernick
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

RVInit wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:14 pm Well, what do you know. A consulting firm with indirect ties to Trump just happens to end up working for a competitor's campaign? Makes you wonder whose interest they really had in mind. It wouldn't surprise me if Trump has plants in every single campaign. It's not as if he is able to get ethical people to work for him at this point.
Saudis, Russians, the Chinese and other's is that weaken the US, especially in the international realm so they find any place to create disruption and dissent.

On the subject of the document Trump spoke being missing, it is not helpful that he was the only person mentioning, that we know of. He is hardly a reliable witness of even his own actions. He just says whatever pops into his head. With his track record, it could be argued that the document does not even exist.

He could have said it just to show off, as is his way.
101010 :towel:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:39 pm
Kendra wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:11 pm MSNBC reporting on air that grand jury on the docs case, who has been on a break, is set to meet again. Speculation being are they hearing more evidence or is it indictment time?
Part of the problem is they can barely hear from another witness before uncovering even more crime. It could take years to uncover it all. I really do hope an indictment comes soon on the documents case though. I hasn't hurt him with the base, but apparently it is hurting him with Independents.
As every sane commentator from Maine to Hawai'i has pointed out, they can continue investigating after they indict, and add charges later. There is no problem; there is only an intentional refusal to recognize that every day they delay makes it worse for the country, and harder to win their case. This is a failing beyond the telling of it, IMO. Arrogance, cowardice, blindness.

There will never be a better time than now, with the (spit) polls showing that the country is quite ready to accept that TFG is indeed a fucking crime boss)=. If justice delayed is justice denied, this is the most titanic denial of justice in the long ugly history of denials.

Return to “Current Politics”