Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Theranos aftermath

RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

Lordy, there are tapes.

This channel uploaded redacted deposition tapes from Holmes' 2017 SEC depositions. She has that weird thing where she opens her eyes very wide and then doesn't blink for long periods of time. During her heyday that was supposed to make her seem authoritative and intimidating. Under the circumstances of giving answers during her deposition sittings it makes her look scared to the point of almost paranoia. Especially in the later depositions. She starts out apparently feeling OK about things, but by the fourth deposition she looks terrified.

July 11th Deposition, 4 parts:

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

July 13th Deposition, 4 parts

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

August 23 deposition. This one is the one she looks paranoid. Four parts. She most definitely planned right from the start to throw Balwani under the bus. Also, it's amazing how many times during these depositions that she says "I don't know", even to questions that it is beyond ridiculous to believe the CEO of a company would have no idea of anything that is happening in her own company. CEOs don't get involved in minutia, but the questions she's being asked are absolutely the kind of things you would expect the CEO to have direct responsibility or at least awareness. She is a slippery fish and pretty obviously lying much of the time.

--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Theranos aftermath

Post by RTH10260 »

Court rules Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes must go to prison while she appeals against sentence
Holmes, who was charged with defrauding investors in her blood-testing start-up, hoped to stay out of jail while she appealed her conviction

Reuters
Wed 17 May 2023 03.23 BST

Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes must begin serving her prison sentence while she appeals against her conviction on charges of defrauding investors in her failed blood-testing startup and must jointly pay $452m in restitution to the victims of her crimes, a court in San Francisco has ruled.

Holmes, who rose to fame after claiming Theranos’ small machines could run an array of diagnostic tests with just a few drops of blood, was convicted at trial in San Jose, California, in 2022 and sentenced to 11 years and three months in prison.

She had asked the ninth US circuit court of appeals to pause her sentence on 25 April, two days before she was to report to prison. The court on Tuesday denied her bail application.

The judge will set a new date for Holmes, 39, to leave her current home in the San Diego area and report to prison.

In a separate ruling Judge Edward Davila held Holmes jointly liable for the restitution payments and ordered her to pay the $452m with her former lover and top Theranos lieutenant, Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani.

Balwani, 57, began a nearly 13-year prison sentence in April after being convicted on 12 counts of fraud and conspiracy last July. He was put in a Southern California prison last month after losing a similar effort to remain free on bail while appealing against his conviction.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... s-sentence
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

:thumbsup:

I watched some of her SEC depositions, a little at a time. I'm nowhere near finished, but it became clear right away that her plan all along was to throw Mr Balwani under the bus. The problem is that former employees said all the lying and pretending she had some kind of working technology came along way before Balwani entered the picture.

She was about to be fired by the board, and she went into the meeting and lied to them about having already convinced Balwani to inject a large amount of money and join the team as President so she could learn from him.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Theranos aftermath

Post by RTH10260 »

Bye Bye :taunt:
Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes begins 11-year prison sentence

Alexis Keenan·Reporter
Tue, May 30, 2023 at 8:42 PM GMT+2

Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes began serving an 11-year sentence in a Texas federal prison on Tuesday, completing a dramatic fall for a biotech entrepreneur who once dazzled Silicon Valley with promises of breakthrough blood-testing technology.

A spokesman for the minimum-security prison in Bryan, Texas confirmed to Yahoo Finance that Holmes arrived Tuesday. Her Bureau of Prisons register number, the spokesman said, is 24965-111.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ther ... 35361.html
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

Can anyone provide a gift link to the Elizabeth Holmes story from May 2023 in the New York Times? I would very much appreciate it! Thanks in advance.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260

Theranos aftermath

Post by RTH10260 »

RVInit wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:17 am Can anyone provide a gift link to the Elizabeth Holmes story from May 2023 in the New York Times? I would very much appreciate it! Thanks in advance.
This perhaps?
Liz Holmes Wants You to Forget About Elizabeth
The black turtlenecks are gone. So is the voice. As the convicted Theranos founder awaits prison, she has adopted a new persona: devoted mother.

By Amy Chozick Reporting from San Diego
Published May 7, 2023 Updated May 12, 2023

Elizabeth Holmes blends in with the other moms here, in a bucket hat and sunglasses, her newborn strapped to her chest and swathed in a Baby Yoda nursing blanket. We walk past a family of caged orangutans and talk about how Ms. Holmes is preparing to go to prison for one of the most notorious cases of corporate fraud in recent history.

In case you’re wondering, Ms. Holmes speaks in a soft, slightly low, but totally unremarkable voice, no hint of the throaty contralto she used while running her defunct blood-testing start-up Theranos.

“I made so many mistakes and there was so much I didn’t know and understand, and I feel like when you do it wrong, it’s like you really internalize it in a deep way,” Ms. Holmes said as we stopped to look at a hissing anaconda.

Billy Evans, Ms. Holmes’s partner and the father of their two young children, pushes a stroller with the couple’s 20-month-old son, William. William enjoys playing in the sand, “The Little Blue Truck,” dumplings and, like his mom, already speaks some Mandarin. But William especially loves the San Diego Zoo, which is why, on a recent Thursday afternoon, I found myself in the surreal situation of trying to make sense of Ms. Holmes’s version of her rise and fall, while watching a restless cheetah and buying a gorilla T-shirt at the gift shop.

“How would you spend your time if you didn’t know how much time you had left?” Ms. Holmes said, her impending prison report date top of mind, perhaps even more so given that we were surrounded by animals behind bars. “It would be the kind of things we’re doing now because they’re perfect. Just being together.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/07/busi ... rview.html
Guest link https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/07/busi ... =url-share
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

Yes, RTH, that's the one. Thank you so much! :bighug:
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Theranos aftermath

Post by Foggy »

An infant and a 2 year old, who will grow up without a mom. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Estiveo
Verified:

Theranos aftermath

Post by Estiveo »

Since she only had them to try & avoid prison, they're probably better off without her.
Image Image Image Image
Foggy
Dick Tater

Theranos aftermath

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, a bad mom can be worse than no mom at all. My mom was a violent alcoholic, but she could play the piano. And she did feed us, which was good during the months when my dad was at sea.

'Course, the worst mom of all (usually) is the government that takes over when your mom is unfit for whatever reason. The state is a horrible parent. :blackeye:
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

Her trial was put off a few months or so because of her first child born. Then, she clearly schmoozed the jury talking all about motherhood and how wonderful it was to have a newborn baby. It worked. Sunny was convicted on all 11 charges and she was only convicted of 4 charges.

Then, she just happened to show up at her sentencing hearing obviously pregnant with her second child, which caused the judge to put off her start date so she could have the baby and have some bonding time, etc before she would have to report to prison. Something tells me that poor women who are pregnant have to start serving time while pregnant, get to have the baby, and get to spend a very very short time nursing and bonding before going back to prison. But, Holmes is special and privileged.
--Colin Kaepernick
chancery
Verified:

Theranos aftermath

Post by chancery »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:25 am
RVInit wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:17 am Can anyone provide a gift link to the Elizabeth Holmes story from May 2023 in the New York Times? I would very much appreciate it! Thanks in advance.
This perhaps?
Liz Holmes Wants You to Forget About Elizabeth
The black turtlenecks are gone. So is the voice. As the convicted Theranos founder awaits prison, she has adopted a new persona: devoted mother.

By Amy Chozick Reporting from San Diego
Published May 7, 2023 Updated May 12, 2023
:snippity:
I couldn't make myself to do more than skim that article when it was published, but the skim was enough for :vomit:

As far as the NYT's decision to print it: :torches:
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

I finished reading that article. It was pretty weird and at times the writer sounded like she was definitely taken in by Holmes. By the end of the article I think she was basically admitting that when you are in Holmes' presence, she has a unique ability to con you and get you to believe she's "just a normal person". But it sounded like the writer was able to see through it when she was outside of her presence. Interestingly, this is pretty much exactly the same way Tyler Schultz described his experience with Holmes. He said he would go to her office to try to talk to her about the fact that none of the technology worked, they couldn't get anything near consistent or accurate results. Then, as he listened to her talking he would leave the office all pumped up again and believing in her, until he got back to his desk and was again working with equipment that had no chance whatsoever of ever working.

I do think she is a supremely manipulative person. I remember when it was reported that she was going to take the stand I was convinced that she would be able to manipulate at least some of the jurors on at least some of the charges. The one juror that I'm aware of that gave an interview practically gushed about her. And she beat most of the charges, only getting convicted of a fraction of them, probably the ones that the evidence was just way too overwhelming that even the jurors that fell for her "I'm a brand new mom, and I really, really, really, really, really believed in what I was doing".
--Colin Kaepernick
Suranis

Theranos aftermath

Post by Suranis »

Ya, that wide Eyed look that you were commenting on in those dispositions seems to me to be her "projecting" or "pushing" what she wants you to believe through her face. You can call it mind control if you want, but it seems to work.

It gets more and more intense as the Dispositions went on as she was "pushing" more and more as the "making you believe what she wants you to believe" was not working, probably for the first time in her life.

That's probably why the Judge gave her generous terms when her babies were born, she made him want to be nice to her.

You can call me crazy if you like, but I've seen it work. People like trump have a similar mesmerizing affect on some people.
Hic sunt dracones
RVInit

Theranos aftermath

Post by RVInit »

This is interesting. I have seen one or two other of this guy's videos. Here is his "take" on the New York Times article. Hint: He doesn't seem to have been successfully manipulated.

--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater

Theranos aftermath

Post by Foggy »

There was a point in my life when I could be intimidated by a phenomenally beautiful woman, to the point where, if I was sitting next to one in the front seat of a car, so it was just the driver, the girl, and me, shoulder to shoulder but fully clothed and driving along on city streets, my shoulder and entire left arm could become totally paralyzed, probably for life, and it would start working down my left leg, and if the driver didn't hurry the hell up and get where we were going I was definitely gonna be fully paralyzed and die, but I couldn't say anything because there was this ... this ... this beautiful girl, sitting right next to me, so my mouth didn't work any more and my brainbone forgot how to do language and stuff. :shock:

That was a long time ago. Not that it ever really happened. :liar:

I got better. ;)

You can't be a lawyer if you get tongue-tied in the presence of a pretty lady, and believe me, I have seen some lawyers just plain freeze up, or turn into a pillar of salt or sumpin'.

But this isn't like that, is it? She isn't really beautiful or phenomenally sexy, imho, so what she does is all done with acting techniques, like using an attractive voice and eye movements, and using psychological techniques to almost entrance her listeners.

I'd like to know if she was anywhere near as persuasive when she was on the phone, and people couldn't see her face? :think:
much ado

Theranos aftermath

Post by much ado »

I thought this short YT on Holmes' fake voice was interesting.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”