Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Some fellow named Andrew Olson put up a fairly famous bridge he owned as collateral.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: New York federal court sets Friday deadline for Justice Dept and defense attorneys to respond to media request to unseal details about who provided Rep. George Santos's (R-NY) bail in federal criminal case earlier this month
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:38 pm Some fellow named Andrew Olson put up a fairly famous bridge he owned as collateral.
You know, in Detroit that could be true. I was astounded when I learned that The Ambassador Bridge, between Detroit and Windsor, Ontario, is privately owned. This is the main way to cross into Canada, not some little toll bridge in Greenup County, Kentucky.

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Gregg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:05 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:38 pm Some fellow named Andrew Olson put up a fairly famous bridge he owned as collateral.
You know, in Detroit that could be true. I was astounded when I learned that The Ambassador Bridge, between Detroit and Windsor, Ontario, is privately owned. This is the main way to cross into Canada, not some little toll bridge in Greenup County, Kentucky.
It's owned by Matt Moroun. His last name is pronounced, "asshole."
101010 :towel:
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

Interesting, since I think that's the drive home one of my dear friends currently posted at our Embassy in Ottawa has to take to drive home to the D.C. area when her home leave starts in July-ish (if you're posted to Canada or Mexico, and own a car, the Department often requires you to drive rather than fly for cost reasons, I am told). I'll have to let her know this bit of trivia.

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:39 am Interesting, since I think that's the drive home one of my dear friends currently posted at our Embassy in Ottawa has to take to drive home to the D.C. area when her home leave starts in July-ish (if you're posted to Canada or Mexico, and own a car, the Department often requires you to drive rather than fly for cost reasons, I am told). I'll have to let her know this bit of trivia.
By 2025 or so, they won't have to give money to the Ambassador Bridge Troll but could choose to use he new Gordie Howe International Bridge that is under construction. Moroun was, of course, against it. There is also the tunnel but the new bridge will be easier as it connects to freeways on both side. I assume the customs and immigration areas will be more efficient as they will be quite large, from the looks of it.

I assume our current Michigan Fogbowers might have some more knowledge than this former Michigander (or Michiganier for Slarti).
101010 :towel:
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:45 am
By 2025 or so, they won't have to give money to the Ambassador Bridge Troll but could choose to use he new Gordie Howe International Bridge that is under construction. Moroun was, of course, against it. There is also the tunnel but the new bridge will be easier as it connects to freeways on both side. I assume the customs and immigration areas will be more efficient as they will be quite large, from the looks of it.

I assume our current Michigan Fogbowers might have some more knowledge than this former Michigander (or Michiganier for Slarti).
My hand to heaven, I thought that Moroun was an accidental misspelling of Moron and you were referring to TFG blocking some international transportation plan ... until I looked up the name of the bridge owner. :blackeye: :oopsy:

I think I liked my headcanon better. :lol: :dance:

W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I was at the presser where the Gordie Howe Bridge was announced. I spent the rest of the day telling the Moron where to stuff it (in absentia, of course).
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

When not-yet-Dr. Vicklund was in Canada for a year+ doing her dissertation research :drip: , I was working in Detroit but opted to cross at Port Huron, in part to avoid the Ambassador. I went to Canada about 3 of every 5 weekends.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NEW: Rep George Santos (R-NY) defense attorney asks court for additional time to respond to filing by news media seeking unsealing of documents showing who paid Santos’s bond in criminal case
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

@MacFarlaneNews
The Dept of Justice has filed a motion in federal court in New York, essentially saying it has NO position on whether the court should unseal the names of who helped Rep George Santos (R-NY) make bond in his criminal case
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Is indicted Chinese billionaire tycoon Guo Wengui secretly bankrolling George Santos's bail?
Jacob Shamsian
Jun 1, 2023, 10:57 PM CEST
  • The three people on the hook for George Santos's $500,000 are anonymous in court filings.
    "That is information you'll never get," Santos said when asked about their identities.
    In recent months, he's become supportive of exiled Chinese tycoon and Republican patron Guo Wengui.
A member of Congress isn't in jail and we don't know why.

Last month, federal prosecutors in New York brought a 13-count indictment against Rep. George Santos, a Republican who represents part of Long Island.

According to charging documents, Santos personally stole donations to his campaign operation, illegally took pandemic employment funds, and lied to Congress on financial forms.

Instead of keeping Santos in jail until his criminal trial, a judge allowed him to be released on a $500,000 bond.

Three people, under the judge's terms, would guarantee that bail amount — meaning they'd be on the hook for all that cash if Santos broke his bond conditions by failing to show up in court or traveling outside of New York and Washington, DC.

In other words, a member of a closely-divided House of Representatives owes his freedom to three people.

Who are they? Their identities, bizarrely, remain secret.

But I have a pretty good theory.

There's a very strong chance that one person putting up the money — directly or indirectly — is the jailed exiled Chinese billionaire tycoon Guo Wengui.

Even Ghislaine Maxwell and SBF didn't get this kind of secrecy

Santos certainly doesn't want us to know who these bond sponsors are. Speaking to members of the media outside the federal court in Central Islip after he entered his not-guilty plea, the congressman said we would "never" find out the identities of the three sureties.

"That is information you'll never get," he said. "Because your intention is to go harass them and make their life miserable. You're not getting that."

In court proceedings, the identities of the sponsors have been shrouded in extraordinary secrecy.

The bond documents, which are supposed to include their names, have not been publicly filed. The court held a secret hearing with the sureties, according to a filing from the New York Times. We don't even know the explanation from prosecutors and Santos's defense attorneys behind any arguments to keep the documents sealed. No indication of sealed documents or hearings even appear on the public docket.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/stat ... 5548379136
Scott MacFarlane@MacFarlaneNews
Court order in media request to unseal records of who provided for bond for Rep George Santos (R-NY) in federal criminal case:

"Defendant is granted until 5:00 PM on Monday 6/5/23 to respond to the pending motions. There shall be no further extensions of time."
2:58 PM · Jun 4, 2023
► Show Spoiler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

https://twitter.com/hustonmckinney/stat ... 8953936896
Huston McKinney, CPA@hustonmckinney

Speculation: George Santos asked for an extension as the people who paid the $500,000 bond want to withdraw it so their names won’t be disclosed. Santos needed an extension to try to find another source. We can see G. Santos arrested tomorrow, because his bond is no longer paid.
► Show Spoiler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

See also posted in the
Bannon thread.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
Who helped Rep George Santos (R-NY) make bond in criminal case?

Court sets 5pm deadline for a Santos response to request to unseal records….
:waiting:
SlimSloSlider

Post by SlimSloSlider »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:39 am

Interesting, since I think that's the drive home one of my dear friends currently posted at our Embassy in Ottawa has to take to drive home to the D.C. area when her home leave starts in July-ish (if you're posted to Canada or Mexico, and own a car, the Department often requires you to drive rather than fly for cost reasons, I am told). I'll have to let her know this bit of trivia.
Not unless your friend wants to add hours and hours and miles and miles to their journey.
Ottawa to DC you cross the border at Thousand Islands near Kingston into upstate New York.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:11 pm Court order in media request to unseal records of who provided for bond for Rep George Santos (R-NY) in federal criminal case:

"Defendant is granted until 5:00 PM on Monday 6/5/23 to respond to the pending motions. There shall be no further extensions of time."
Nothing on file from Santos as of 5:38 pm. Always possible that there's a lag in showing up on pacer.
somerset

Post by somerset »

chancery wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:37 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:11 pm Court order in media request to unseal records of who provided for bond for Rep George Santos (R-NY) in federal criminal case:

Nothing on file from Santos as of 5:38 pm. Always possible that there's a lag in showing up on pacer.
How often do attorneys* ask for an extension to file something, then just blow off the new deadline?

(*real, practicing, serious attorneys. Not O'Rly, GIL and their elk ;) )
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

somerset wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:47 pm
chancery wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:37 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:11 pm Court order in media request to unseal records of who provide d for bond for Rep George Santos (R-NY) in federal criminal case:

How often do attorneys* ask for an extension to file something, then just blow off the new deadline?

(*real, practicing, serious attorneys. Not O'Rly, GIL and their elk ;) )
Never. Well, it might happen occasionally, but it is likely an unproductive litigation strategy.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Here it is.

FLASH: Defense attorney for Rep George Santos (R-NY) asks court to keep SEALED the records showing who helped ensure his $500,000 bond in criminal case. They argue those people "are likely to suffer great distress, may lose
their jobs, and God forbid, may suffer physical injury"
A bit moar at the link.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
somerset

Post by somerset »

In fact, if the suretors are required to be identified, we
respectfully request that the Court allow the suretors notice before the court releases their
information so that they can withdraw as cosignors on the bond and Rep. Santos and I will
appear before Your Honor forthwith. My client would rather surrender to pretrial detainment
than subject these suretors to what will inevitably come.
I suspect it isn't Santos-Devolder who is making that choice ;)
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:47 pm Santos’ letter: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap ... 17.0_1.pdf
The letter refers to a "$500,000.00 unsecured appearance bond with
three financially responsible co-signors, as suretors."

IANAL, but that sounds to me like no money was actually paid, but that, should he jump bail, the suretors would be on the hook to pay the half million.

Amirite?

He claims that the suretors' reputations, jobs and even physical safety would be at risk if their names were divulged. Doesn't he need to present some credible evidence of that danger? Simply saying shouldn't be enough.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

So any speculation who Santos is trying to protect?

Return to “Current Politics”