Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Young women!!!! They look ready to take on the world!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 9:20 am Young women!!!! They look ready to take on the world!!!!
Agree there! Young niece can be a firestorm. She looks all cute and pretty -- but but tell her do her chores, shut off her digital toys, and go finish homework -- GAME IS ON! Mom beds them down at 9pm (those yungins do need their sleep).

And I know she gets this from her mom, who I helped raise from an infant. LOOK OUT
neonzx

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:38 am Good lookin family Neon. They have style.
At this point in my life, I have no sense of style. I have no clue what they are wearing. It's a California thing :shrug: . I'd have to defer to Foggy, our resident SoCal expert.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Foggy »

Huh? What'd he say? I left SoCal twenty years ago. :shrug:

Since I left there, everything has changed. I only know what it used to be.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Phoenix520 »

I should know where those stairs are…DTLA? Or Coast, like Hermosa? I know I’ve seen them.
Annrc
Verified:

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Annrc »

So cute! So much fun.
neonzx

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:25 pm I should know where those stairs are…DTLA? Or Coast, like Hermosa? I know I’ve seen them.
I have no clue. I know the picture is recent because niece changed up her hair in a new style.

Ask Foggy, SoCal expert.

HEY, wait a minute. You beez in SoCal youself!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 am
bill_g wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:38 am Good lookin family Neon. They have style.
At this point in my life, I have no sense of style. I have no clue what they are wearing. It's a California thing :shrug: . I'd have to defer to Foggy, our resident SoCal expert.
I havent been i Cal for almost 50 years but they seem perfectly normal clothes to me.

Camo pattern jacket over a smiley face t shirt, sweat pants or sloppy leggings and pink sneakers.

White collarless button up long sleeve shirt over a dark under shirt or something, white pants and fake* ugg boots.

* 'fake' in the sense that they are almost definitely made in Asia not Australia and not from sheep skin.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:58 pm
neonzx wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 am
I havent been i Cal for almost 50 years but they seem perfectly normal clothes to me.

Camo pattern jacket over a smiley face t shirt, sweat pants or sloppy leggings and pink sneakers.

White collarless button up long sleeve shirt over a dark under shirt or something, white pants and fake* ugg boots.
Ima OK with the clothes. It is the footwear that stands out for me. I think looks ridiculous, but I am old.

Years ago, I was hanging with a dad and his son came along and asked to buy him some new shoes. He was like 13 years old. So I speak up on this and tell him he may outgrow these within six months -- they are not going to fit you. The boy was not happy with me --- "my mom has 22 pairs of shoes in her closet" Yep, women do crazy shit like that.

Anyway, said child did not get new shoes. And I have to say a RIP for that young man.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:37 pm :snippity:

Ima OK with the clothes. It is the footwear that stands out for me. I think looks ridiculous, but I am old.
Yeah, the pink sneakers are not to my taste.

The uggs are OK in my book, except for them being probably fake. Also they aren't supposed to be fashion, they are the sloppy thing you put on to keep your feet warm while you slip down to the corner store (in you pajamas and robe) to get some milk.

The story of the Ugh boot
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

So I asked niece for movie advice. She had one. She recently finished a book called Divergent and she wanted to see the film version (2014). I rented it pay-per-view -- the film is not that great -- it is definitely made for late teens/early 20-somethings. But it does have a message. Divergent means outcast -- and many young youths feel that way.

I feel for her.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Foggy »

No, Divergent doesn't mean outcast. :roll:

It means that after testing, she could have probably fit into any of three of the five factions in the dystopian society where she lived, Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite. Which was a super dangerous diagnosis, but the testing lady kept her mouth shut. And she joins the Dauntless faction, where bravery is all.

I read that book and it is one of the best dystopian novels I've ever read. The sequels weren't so good, but Divergent is an incredible tale.

Maybe the movie screwed it up. :towel:

I read all the Hunger Games and Maze Runner and Legend books, because Numbah Two Son had them, and I wanted to know what he was reading. I got the dystopian thing fixed. In mah headbone anyway.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think your niece did a very good thing telling you about Divergent.

Because it isn't the story of an outcast (the outcasts in the book are the factionless).

It's the story of a girl born into a really shitty society, a truly dystopian world, and she doesn't like it, so she decides to do something about it, and she is a brave, courageous young lady who manages to break the rules, and I'm not gonna spoil it, but dig it:

If your niece likes that book, she may not have a good feeling about the State of the Union at the present time (and I agree with her), but she may have learned that bravery will get you a better life.

And that's never a bad thing. :oldman:
neonzx

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 6:25 am No, Divergent doesn't mean outcast. :roll:
Okay, let us go with misfit. Someone who doesn't fit into a singular group -- which is high school scene of social connection. . We have to choose? I can't be part of more than one?

That is what I got from the movie and book is probably amazing. But when it comes down to it, it is high-school social drama amped up to a crazy level.

But, it is art. I know it when I see it.
Suranis

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Suranis »

divergent
dĭ-vûr′jənt, dī-

adjective

1) Drawing apart from a common point; diverging.

2) Departing from convention.

3) Differing from another.
Hic sunt dracones
busterbunker

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by busterbunker »

Hmm, I don't know the book/movie you're discussing, but The Misfits is a classic. "If I'm going to be alone, I want to be by myself." From a young age, I realized I was an outlier, like it's pointless for me to participate in a poll as my data point will get tossed. But that's alright - you clear some space for some other data points to be accepted. If you're patient, the data points often catch up, whether you like it or not.

Much of our confusion traces to the problematization of the self, which in itself is a construct, and the media/advertising world exploits this for profit. We prod the tension between individuality and belonging to a a group. It would be self-defeating if we were to solve this. At a personal level, it's pretty simple, you gotta accept yourself for who you are, then you can accept everybody else. Even if you consider them wrong, at least in your book.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Foggy »

Well remember, it's fiction. It's dystopian fiction, and you have to read it on its own terms.

So in the book, divergent really meant you would be a good fit in more than one of the five factions, meaning that you weren't a misfit, but really the opposite of a misfit.

And the girl in the book is anything but a misfit. From the first minute she joins the Dauntless faction, she is clearly a star in the group - to the point that other members are so jealous of her success, they try to murder her. Meanwhile, in addition to being the star of the group, she falls in love with her "instructor," a guy who is legendary in the group.

Does that sound like she's a misfit? Because she is a success at everything she tries, and she never feels left out or like a failure.

I've been a misfit. I know what that's like, and it's not good. But Divergent is not about a misfit. It's about the power of courage. The young lady in the book is more than Dauntless, and it's really the world she lives in that's a misfit.

Sorry for the extended rant, but I loved that book. The author wrote it while she was in a creative writing program at Northwestern University, and she sold the movie rights before she graduated from the program. :shock:
neonzx

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

I cannot find my uncle. I have contacted the Cleveland PD today on this. Yes, he is elder and on his alone.

He should not be driving, but he does try. And on Oxygen 24/7.

I don't know where he is. He can't have gone far. So I am just waiting.

Until I get more updates from the Cleveland PD just gonna dance a little bit. Is that ok with ya'all?

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Slim Cognito »

Hugs and hopes he's found soon safe and happy.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by AndyinPA »

Scary, but hope it turns out well.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by Maybenaut »

:bighug: :pray:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neonzx

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

Still no good update.

A couple of hours ago, the police called to know if anyone had a house key. I did not know.

I told them he has a white Jeep Cherokee, which they said was not present at the home.. so he is not in the house IMO.

They are still working on the case.

I never thought I would call law enforcement for help in this manner.

Happy Thanksgiving to Me.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by raison de arizona »

:bighug: :shock:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by neonzx »

One minute I am crying and hyperventilating. Do I jump on a plane? And then do WHAT???

Next minute trying to keep my mind off it. Dance in my head.

June bug

Neonzx aka Jimbot

Post by June bug »

So sorry for the worry you're going through, Neon. :bighug: I hope so much that he's found safe. :pray:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”