The Media are the Goddam Problem

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

It's my guess that granting entry is formally thru a visa for medical treatment, and the person needs to leave the US when treatment completed. I don't think that asylum requests during that time to be possible.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

And sometimes they get it right.
A peek behind the curtain of NPR's coverage of Trump's indictment
April 3, 20237:28 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered
By Kat Lonsdorf Patrick Jarenwattananon Mary Louise

npr.png
npr.png (145.29 KiB) Viewed 2366 times
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Katie Porter puts Piers Morgan in his place.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I like the Washington Post, usually. But here's an example of what I don't like:

Today there are three top stories:

Tucker Carlson
Don Lemon
Thomas Jefferson's complex relationship with Sally Hemings's brother

And then you get the full range of Opinions. If you want to find any other news, keep digging. Oh wait, here are some recipes and lifestyle advice. You want what? National and international news?

Go fish. 🐠

I generally form my own opinions, thanks.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The article on John Hemings and the house was interesting. The comments, not so much.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/7950173 ... %2CO%2CP-R
Jim Wright
·
US media reports "US satellite captures images of new Chinese military blimp at remote base..."
Except the picture posted with the story is of US Navy Sailors on the deck of a US Navy LCAC hovercraft, likely at the LCAC base just north of San Diego.
It's mentioned in the article, BUT NOT THE SOCIAL MEDIA POST
KNOWING that most people get their "news" from sound bites and social media posts and don't read the article or attribution, posts like The Hill's are a big part of the problem.
This being the point of my comment.

Hill.jpg
Hill.jpg (59.41 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

IIRC the image shows debris collected from the Chinese balloon that was shot down outside of the US east coast off South Carolina, so this Navy vessel would be operating in the Atlantic.
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

raison de arizona

Both parties trust the Weather Channel ... and that’s about it

The good news, such as it is, is that trust in news outlets increased across the board in YouGov’s national polling this year relative to 2022. It’s not entirely clear why: maybe it’s a function of increased trust or maybe it’s something about how the data was collected. But, still, in an era where trust in the media is near a nadir, who are we to rush to dismiss movement in the other direction?

Which brings us to the bad news. The media outlet that has the most robustly positive perception among the American public is the one that is most explicitly and structurally apolitical: the Weather Channel. On pretty much everything else, the pattern is heavily saturated with partisanship — like most other things in America.

According to the new data, the Weather Channel is viewed with more trust than distrust by a 53-point margin among Americans. The next most-trusted outlet on net is PBS, which has a 30-point advantage on trustworthiness. But less than half of respondents overall said they found PBS trustworthy or very trustworthy.

Partisanship also comes into play with PBS. The Weather Channel is trusted by most Democrats and most Republicans. But PBS is viewed as trustworthy by two-thirds of Democrats and only one-third of Republicans. Why? Oklahoma offers some indications: There, Gov. Kevin Stitt (R) has attacked PBS for “overly sexualiz[ing] or indoctrinat[ing] children” — his office citing the fact that the show “Clifford the Big Red Dog” showed a lesbian couple as evidence of this effect.
:snippity:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -partisan/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

And yet the media can also be teh solution

or at least try to be

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-07/ ... /100887310

Vladimir Putin's next war is being waged against Russia's independent media
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Yet another example of fake news shooting a lying politician in the ass...

The Guardian (Australian Edition): Angus Taylor and the doctored document mystery: ‘It took us about 30 seconds to realise it was a fake’
When the minister tried to ‘pour a bucket of dirt’ over Sydney lord mayor Clover Moore, he ended up with mud all over himself. Investigative reporter
In the article it is described how 'The Daily Telegraph' (Sydney Murdoch Paper) pushed back on the fake story being planted because it was 'too messy', and then went with it anyway.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/backstory/2 ... /102370616

Good news can have a powerful impact. Why we created Make Me Feel Good podcast

An antidote for news weariness
There is a growing cohort of people who are actively avoiding or reducing their intake of news, stepping aside and switching off from the barrage of grim news headlines.

People who wish that news didn't, more often than not, mean bad news.

The 2022 Digital News Report from Canberra University showed that more than two-thirds of people in their study actively avoid the news, in part because it makes them feel worse.

What better place to target a mood-based podcast than by being the antidote to bad news?

The Make Me Feel Good podcast does what it says on the box; it is a collection of stories from ABC hosts around the country that remind you that the world actually is a pretty wonderful, wacky and wild place.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Sounds to me as if people are fleeing reality ...
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

No, they are fleeing the way reality is packaged for their consumption. There's a difference.

I would be interested in anyone looking at numbers of people getting their news from the perpetual outrage machine that is Social Media, for much the same reason.
Hic sunt dracones
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

“I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it.”

Marshall McLuhan
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Admittedly, I was only able to visit my dad on four of the five days of our trip, we always leave early on the last day.

But during those four days, MSNBC was broadcasting BREAKING NEWS about Trump and His Happy Indictment, every minute the Tee Vee was on (it was always on, he's 95). There was no such thing as any other news topic. There was no such thing as non-breaking news. It was all breaking, all the time.

How do people live like that? :think:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I turned it off after I screamed at the TV several times, "It's not breaking news!"
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Seriously NYT, really?
https://twitter.com/HawaiiDelilah/statu ... 25315?s=20
HawaiiDelilah™ 🟦 @HawaiiDelilah wrote: Yes, Joe Biden loves his only surviving son who had some problems & is trying to turn it around, & who is not involved in the governing of this country. But apparently loving your son too much is worthy of the newspaper of record.

P.S. The phrase "in your face" is just...nasty
Peter Baker @peterbakernyt wrote: In the nation’s capital, where such things are rarely accidental and always noticed, Hunter BIden's appearances at a state dinner and Camp David came across as an in-your-face message of defiance by a president determined to show that he stands by his son. https://nytimes.com/2023/06/27/us/polit ... crats.html
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Here we go again. Just like 2016. Media is all Trump all the time. And not a single other Republican running for President is getting airtime.

Too angry to say much more about it. I used to think 24/7 news was a good thing because at the time I was young and working weird hours and appreciated the opportunity to be able to stay informed because I could turn on CNN or HLN and get updated on the news. I think I've come to the conclusion the downside is worse than the upside of cable news.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

RVInit wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:11 am Here we go again. Just like 2016. Media is all Trump all the time. And not a single other Republican running for President is getting airtime.
That's true, but I don't know that it's a bad thing. He really is leading the polling. But I keep asking myself, "Which other Republican has a legitimate chance of beating him in the primaries and caucuses?"

I haven't seen one. I don't think there is one. Not one in this great land of ours.

I think he's going to have a smooth ride to the nomination, unless one of the criminal cases goes to trial before the Republican National Convention, which is dubious. That's less than a year from now.

But winning the nomination doesn't get him back in the White House. He is facing 78 felony charges, with more coming. More importantly, his campaign is 100% based on a provable lie, with generous sprinkles of revenge and corruption on top. He never talks about the issues. His issue is, he won in 2020, and anyone who disagrees with that is going to pay for it.

And he won't appoint a single Earthling to serve in office unless they publicly agree with the enormous provable lie.

That's not a formula for success in presidential campaigns thus far, but surprise me.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

It's all about the framing with TFG.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

2023-09-04 08.28.35.jpeg