Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Windows 11

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Windows 11

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Well, if it's still not passing I would try downloading Windows via the MS Media Creation Tool and see if it will install over USB. That's the way I typically install anyway.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Windows 11

Post by Reality Check »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:49 am Well, if it's still not passing I would try downloading Windows via the MS Media Creation Tool and see if it will install over USB. That's the way I typically install anyway.
Probably my next step. Thanks.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Windows 11

Post by Reality Check »

I did a little more research and found that the Intel 7th generation processors usually fail the PC Health Check (I have the 7400). I guess not all the 7th generation supported TPM so Microsoft just fails them all. I probably can get 11 to install by downloading the ISO file. I haven't decided if it is worth the effort yet.
Suranis

Windows 11

Post by Suranis »

My new laptop has informed me that "WINDOWS 11 VERSION 2H22 is ready to go" when I'm sitting on windows 10.

I'm whimpering at the thought of pushing button.
Hic sunt dracones
Mrich

Windows 11

Post by Mrich »

I had to get a new laptop and of course it has Win11. The only thing I really wish they would "fix" (in my mind it's a fix, not a feature!) is the taskbar. For years and years I displayed my taskbar vertically on the left side of the screen, without grouping "like" tasks. You can't do this in Win11; the taskbar is at the bottom of the screen. You can still auto-hide it.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Windows 11

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Mrich wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:05 am I had to get a new laptop and of course it has Win11. The only thing I really wish they would "fix" (in my mind it's a fix, not a feature!) is the taskbar. For years and years I displayed my taskbar vertically on the left side of the screen, without grouping "like" tasks. You can't do this in Win11; the taskbar is at the bottom of the screen. You can still auto-hide it.
I've never used it but I think StartAllBack will let you move the taskbar to the left side of the screen.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Windows 11

Post by northland10 »

Suranis wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:31 am My new laptop has informed me that "WINDOWS 11 VERSION 2H22 is ready to go" when I'm sitting on windows 10.

I'm whimpering at the thought of pushing button.
I let it inform me of that for months until I finally went ahead and did it.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Windows 11

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm now setting up my new Windows 11 laptop and, per Keith's suggestion, I'm documenting what I do. But dang! Software companies can be sneaky. I downloaded and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader and, without asking me, it installed a McAfee program. They did show it downloading and installing, but there was no way of optioning out. Of course, the McAfee program runs in the background so you have to make sure you stop it, then uninstall the stupid thing. Thank goodness I know how to do that.
Suranis

Windows 11

Post by Suranis »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:04 pm I downloaded and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader and, without asking me, it installed a McAfee program.
I've used FOXIT pdf reader for years now. It has its own annoyances but its better than AAR.

https://www.foxit.com/pdf-reader/

So I upgraded and it did it with no issues.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Windows 11

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:36 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:04 pm I downloaded and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader and, without asking me, it installed a McAfee program.
I've used FOXIT pdf reader for years now. It has its own annoyances but its better than AAR.

https://www.foxit.com/pdf-reader/

So I upgraded and it did it with no issues.
At some point I may need a PDF editor. I'll certainly look at Foxit at that point. Thanks for suggesting that company.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Windows 11

Post by RTH10260 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:04 pm I'm now setting up my new Windows 11 laptop and, per Keith's suggestion, I'm documenting what I do. But dang! Software companies can be sneaky. I downloaded and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader and, without asking me, it installed a McAfee program. They did show it downloading and installing, but there was no way of optioning out. Of course, the McAfee program runs in the background so you have to make sure you stop it, then uninstall the stupid thing. Thank goodness I know how to do that.
In my expierience when one downloads from Adobe they offer to install some stuff (McAffee) but the question (Do ou want this stuff) has a checkbox to uncheck. After having this annoyance happen to me I know know to check what is included before hitting the Go/Yes/Install button.
MN-Skeptic

Windows 11

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:49 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:04 pm I'm now setting up my new Windows 11 laptop and, per Keith's suggestion, I'm documenting what I do. But dang! Software companies can be sneaky. I downloaded and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader and, without asking me, it installed a McAfee program. They did show it downloading and installing, but there was no way of optioning out. Of course, the McAfee program runs in the background so you have to make sure you stop it, then uninstall the stupid thing. Thank goodness I know how to do that.
In my expierience when one downloads from Adobe they offer to install some stuff (McAffee) but the question (Do ou want this stuff) has a checkbox to uncheck. After having this annoyance happen to me I know know to check what is included before hitting the Go/Yes/Install button.
That had always been my experience in the past which was why I was so pissed today when Adobe gave me NO option to not install McAfee. I clicked on the download Acrobat Reader link and it showed that it was downloading AND installing both Acrobat Reader and the McAfee software.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Windows 11

Post by keith »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:09 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:49 pm
That had always been my experience in the past which was why I was so pissed today when Adobe gave me NO option to not install McAfee. I clicked on the download Acrobat Reader link and it showed that it was downloading AND installing both Acrobat Reader and the McAfee software.
Yeah, I hate that sneakyware stuff, especially McAfee, but there should be an (often virtually hidden) opt out. I think that was law suit mandated many years ago.

My latest beef is that there is now a THIRD folder for installing programs. Program Files, Program Files (X86), and now Windows Apps. The first is for 64 bit programs, the second for 64 bit programs, and the third is for programs installed from the App Store. Windows Apps is hidden and protected and owned by the secret AppStore installer user. You have to hold your tongue just so to get access to it. It appears that install monitors like IOBit cannot monitor Windows Appstore installs, but I'm still researching. I was trying to set a shortcut to a music app and it took me an hour to figure out where the hell it was located
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Windows 11

Post by Foggy »

As y'all know, I have been a fan of Win11.

Howsoever, it develops that every time I do an update now, it helpfully sets "what happens when you close the lid" to SLEEP.

But I keep my laptop lid closed. I want that set to DO NOTHING. And I set it to Do Nothing, and it stays that way until the next time Microsoft decides to push an update, in which case they put it back to the setting Microsoft would prefer that I is forcing me to use.

But I don't want to use that setting. I want my setting, dammit. :mad:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Windows 11

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 10:59 am As y'all know, I have been a fan of Win11.

Howsoever, it develops that every time I do an update now, it helpfully sets "what happens when you close the lid" to SLEEP.

But I keep my laptop lid closed. I want that set to DO NOTHING. And I set it to Do Nothing, and it stays that way until the next time Microsoft decides to push an update, in which case they put it back to the setting Microsoft would prefer that I is forcing me to use.

But I don't want to use that setting. I want my setting, dammit. :mad:
is this of any help:
https://superuser.com/questions/1324782 ... y-computer
article mentions that the power plans can interfer.

also this:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 02bc2a1616
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Windows 11

Post by Foggy »

No, the power management tool is working fine, all I have to do is set it back to what I want and it works perfectly. But every update changes the setting for me, again. :mad:

The first time it happened, it took me a while to figure it out. Of all my customized settings, that's a weird one to override with the Microsoft choice. But now it's just annoying. I know what's going to happen, and what to do about it. It's just that I shouldn't have to fiddle with that setting every time they do an update. :doh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Windows 11

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:13 pm No, the power management tool is working fine, all I have to do is set it back to what I want and it works perfectly. But every update changes the setting for me, again. :mad:

The first time it happened, it took me a while to figure it out. Of all my customized settings, that's a weird one to override with the Microsoft choice. But now it's just annoying. I know what's going to happen, and what to do about it. It's just that I shouldn't have to fiddle with that setting every time they do an update. :doh:
I used to have the same problem but with the sound settings.

I do vinyl to digital recording and I want the USB 'microphone' set to CD quality stereo but every Win update would set it back to mono voice quality. And the setting was buried so deep you needed a rotorooter to find it. That got fixed eventually by M$oft

So I sympathise, but the only suggestion I can offer is to file a bug report.
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “Computers and Internet”