Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Report Problems/Questions Here

We listen to your suggestions, honest we do! Well, sometimes.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Chancery, are you hitting a back button to go back to the menu or selecting unread/active/etc to get back to a menu? Have you used any different browsers for this? I wonder if your browser or maybe the web server is not fully refreshing the page which is necessary for the notification to go away.

Just spitballing
101010 :towel:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The notification alerts that aren't clearing for me are for quoted posts, not PMs. In case that makes a difference.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

northland10 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:31 pm Chancery, are you hitting a back button to go back to the menu or selecting unread/active/etc to get back to a menu?
Hmm. I do both. On my Mac I'm more likely to click the active topics link. On my phone, I usually use the back arrow to go back to an active topics display, because it's harder on the phone to get to an active topics link.
northland10 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:31 pm Have you used any different browsers for this?
Always Chrome on my Mac, always Safari on my phone.
northland10 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:31 pm I wonder if your browser or maybe the web server is not fully refreshing the page which is necessary for the notification to go away.
That's an interesting thought. Note that logging out and logging in again doesn't clear the alert. But I see your point; it's possible that this is a caching issue that's local to me.

Edit: Just tried logging out, quitting Chrome, launching Chrome, logging in again. The alert is still there.
northland10 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:31 pm Just spitballing
Thanks! :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I am far from an expert here, but I think clicking on the back arrow would not make the page read Read. It doesn't for me, I've noticed.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

For the first time ever after all these years, I'm trying Prosilver Dark. Have always used regular Prosilver, but on desktop, I find it a lot easier with dark backgrounds. I have a couple of questions... if it's not possible it's just fine but wasn't sure where to look. Mainly using Chrome.

1) On the topic list, can the color be changed from Blue? The blue against the black is a bit hard to read. Is there a place to adjust text colors, or is that just how the template is?
2) The toolbar above messages (bold, highlight, etc) stays white. Can that change?

I like it a lot, seeing the white text on the black background is easier to read. Thank you always Foggy, it's so kind of you to have these different versions to help us. :bighug:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:11 pm I am far from an expert here, but I think clicking on the back arrow would not make the page read Read. It doesn't for me, I've noticed.
I have this topic bookmarked so it just came up in my notifications. I clicked on it to bring the topic up and it cleared the notification. After reading I clicked the back arrow and the notifications item was showing unread notifications again. I clicked forward and it cleared. That is the behavior I would expect. FWIIW I am running a PC with Firefox and Windows 11 Pro.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Looks like there has been progress on having a Like (Thanks) Button!!

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _2/support
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... r_posts_2/

Here's another: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2615851

In this social media age, it's hard to believe phpBB doesn't have this feature built-in. When you have a moment Foggy, would you please take a look? No expectations and I know it has to be rock solid with the volume here, but it would be so fun to have.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Nope.

Those first two are "thanks," not likes. I mean, I am not going to implement anything that tends to elevate some members over others. And yes, phpBB has several different ways to do that.

There is a whole "ranks" feature, based on how many posts you have. I won't rank people by how many posts they have. Don't look for ranks on Fogbow, I won't put it in.

And I won't have a system of thanks, where you can find whose posts get thanked and who gets ignored, even if they don't post very often, but when they do have something to say, it's something I want to read, and I don't want anyone to hesitate to post because their post might not get any thanks. And I don't want to have to go around thanking every post on the forum so people don't feel that their contributions are being ignored.

Absolute no. Hard no. Never ever no.

That last one is totally in development and the page is covered with warnings not to use it. Some of you old-timers might remember the time I installed a modification that was in development, and it broke the forum. There is less than a zero chance I will install that.

If you really like what someone wrote, you can say so. And there's always:

:like:

Jeez, if'n ranks are based on the number of posts you have, maybe I shoulda broken up this one into five separate posts, then I could be top rank! :?
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:50 am Nope.
:snippity:
Yeah I agree on this one. Just tell someone you liked a post and why or better yet discuss it. I am not a fan of Twitter and Facebook likes, emojis and such. Recently a young man in our small town died when his friend who was driving them to an early morning workout lost control going 65 MPH on a street posted at 20 MPH. Someone posted about it on Facebook and the number of posts with 4 or 5 praying hand emojis and nothing else was ridiculous. What is the etiquette on the number of praying hands? Are three not enough and 5 too many? 6?

I can kind of see the place for shortcuts like thumbs up on phone texts since they are usually one thumb of finger tap away if you just want to acknowledge you got the message. That is the same reason 10 codes were developed for police radio communications and codes like 10-4 are used to mean you acknowledge the message. CB'ers adopted them in the 1960's in a big way.

I know others may want a system of likes and ranking but when a topic is popular it is fairly evident w/o those.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:thumbsdown: vs. :thumbup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Off Topic
Reality Check wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:53 am Recently a young man in our small town died when his friend who was driving them to an early morning workout lost control going 65 MPH on a street posted at 20 MPH. :snippity:
Ah ha! So that is what happened. The initial reporting on the news gave scant/no details. At the time, It seemed to me and others that Babcock Ranch was trying to keep it under wraps from a PR nightmare/hurt sales. Perfect community isn't so perfect after all. 20mph? Put in speed bumps. :batting:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Totally agree, Foggy!

:like:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:23 am
Off Topic
Ah ha! So that is what happened. The initial reporting on the news gave scant/no details. At the time, It seemed to me and others that Babcock Ranch was trying to keep it under wraps from a PR nightmare/hurt sales. Perfect community isn't so perfect after all. 20mph? Put in speed bumps. :batting:
Off Topic
I said posted but the residential streets are all 20 mph throughout BR, not really posted. Four lane parkways are 30 mph. We know a Charlotte County sheriff’s deputy and he heard what happened from the officers who responded. They ran off the road and hit a palm tree on the passenger front side. My son was out early walking his dogs and heard the crash. It was a tragedy for sure. I cannot imagine having to live with a stupid mistake you made at 16 but that can happen when young kids get entrusted with automobiles.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 6:50 am Nope.
:thumbsup:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:23 am :thumbsdown: vs. :thumbup:
:towel: I just always want to use that one. ;)
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Just spitballing here...

It occurs to me that with all the shootings going on in America, and most of the posters here in America, and probably nobody's friends and relatives would think to notify the Fogbow if somebody got shot, especially if said friend or relative gof shot too, that we need a dead man's switch to report to the RIP thread when somebody buys the farm in other than a real estate transaction and indicates so by failing to post for some time.

Should i be in the drunk tank?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No, and of course it isn't primarily shootings that winnow our ranks, but we have lost a lot of people who were steady contributors, without explanation.

I think of, for example, esseff44, a lady who was in Saigon as a civilian during the war, and in San Francisco when she was with us, and was a super interesting person. And Joseph Rubidoux IV, who lived in St Joseph. Both of them were elderly, and probably passed away.

But the only way I know to make sure we know what happens to everyone is if we (I) collect phone numbers for next-of-kin or something, and I'm not willing to do that. Especially since there are folks like Estiveo out there. I don't know why he left, and we're still friends but he isn't discussing why he left, and Mimi told me that nobody ever really leaves Fogbow, they just stop temporarily, and I don't want to be pestering next-of-kin on the phone for somebody who just wants a break from Fogbow for a while. That would be counter-productive, if'n you think about it.

I don't have a solution. Some things - like what happened to esseff44 and Joe Ruby - are just destined to remain mysteries.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The last time I tried to read my saved personal messages in oldfogbow, I wasn't able to do it.

Is it possible? And if not, could it be made possible?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

chancery wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:52 pm The last time I tried to read my saved personal messages in oldfogbow, I wasn't able to do it.

Is it possible? And if not, could it be made possible?
I can read my personal messages in oldfogbow. Are you logged in on the oldfogbow?
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Hmm. I used to be able to log in to oldfogbow, but it's not recognizing my credentials this morning.

And the oldfogbow password reset link doesn't work.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

chancery wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:54 am Hmm. I used to be able to log in to oldfogbow, but it's not recognizing my credentials this morning.

And the oldfogbow password reset link doesn't work.
Site isn’t loading at all on phone.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

It's working for me. I will catch up with this later, there's a guy here doing drywall after our fire.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:44 am It's working for me. I will catch up with this later, there's a guy here doing drywall after our fire.
Yikes! Sorry Foggy, I haven't been reading your thread.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

FYI - I am unable to log into Oldbow with the Chrome browser. It insists something is wrong --> "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

There is nothing different than what I use for the main TFB. Firefox allows me to sign into Oldbow. so .... :confuzzled: :pickle:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Thanks for the tip. I fired up Safari -- which hasn't been my main browser for nearly a decade -- and was able to log in to oldfogbow and my personal messages without any problem.

So a Chrome problem (or a problem that only manifests itself with Chrome).

Return to “Questions and Suggestions”