US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and related

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

There is a heavy immigration enforcement and DEA joint placement on the Florida Keys/Key West. It is discreet but it is there 24/7. No shared foreign border.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I’m aware of the hundred mile rule, I just question the usefulness of a citizenship checkpoint on I-95. Based on what bob said though, I suppose it makes sense. I remember reading somewhere that the majority of Americans live within 100 miles of a border and are subject to immigration checkpoints. We have a bunch in AZ and CA, but I hadn’t grokked that FL would have a bunch too, not having a land border.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

In Pittsburgh, we are just about 20–25 miles outside that zone. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-19/ ... /102366610

An 8-year-old girl from Panama has died in US Border Patrol custody, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) says.

Key points:
Officials say the girl was taken to hospital for a "medical emergency"
She was identified as Panama-born Anadith Tanay Reyes Alvarez
An internal investigation is underway and Homeland Security has been notified

The child was being held with her family in Harlingen, Texas, when she experienced "a medical emergency", the CBP said.

She was taken to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead on Wednesday, it said.

It said the internal affairs unit at CPB was investigating the incident, and the Homeland Security Department had been notified.

The local judge presiding in the case said an autopsy had been ordered.

Honduran Consul José Leonardo Navas identified the girl as Panama-born Anadith Tanay Reyes Alvarez.

Mr Navas said she was travelling to the US with her Honduran parents and her two older siblings.

The girl's father reportedly told the consul she was born with heart problems, and was operated on three years ago in Panama.

Return to “Current Politics”