Did You Go To Law School?

Reddog

Post by Reddog »

:confuzzled:
noblepa wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:59 am
Reddog wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:23 pm Number 9 is problematic. Looking at the answer, I don’t know what that is either, I wouldn’t know if I was about to enter it.

Thank you Stern.
IANAL, but I believe that the well refers to the area immediately in front of the judge's bench. That's why, in every TV lawyer show, one or both of the attorneys will ask "may we approach the bench?".
Thanks, I think you’re right.
It so happens that if I had waited a day, I would have read about Tennessee lawmakers getting expelled for entering the Well in the statehouse. They didn’t get permission. Seemed pretty draconian to me.

A lot of that test seemed so relevant.
Did Stern foresee the future? Or was he on top of events before they got publicized?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I didn't try to answer the test (as not a lawya and not a usaian so not my garden to dig in). But I looked and my corroded knowledge of Latin gave me the etymology of "deodand" immediately and (more or less) correctly: deus="god", so ablative deo="by god", dare="give" so gerund dandum="giving" which led me effortlessly to … the wrong answer.

Oh well. A little learning is a dangerous thing.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

neonzx wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:35 pm
Gregg wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:21 pm :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
I got them all!
Thanks to NKU Chase School of Law!
Kentucky has a law school? Who would have thunk. Good job!
It has at least 3, who'd a thunk it?

I dropped out after the first year, the motorcar company quit paying for it and paying tuition with my own money violates my core beliefs.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Reddog wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:57 am :confuzzled:
noblepa wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:59 am
Reddog wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:23 pm Number 9 is problematic. Looking at the answer, I don’t know what that is either, I wouldn’t know if I was about to enter it.

Thank you Stern.
IANAL, but I believe that the well refers to the area immediately in front of the judge's bench. That's why, in every TV lawyer show, one or both of the attorneys will ask "may we approach the bench?".
Thanks, I think you’re right.
It so happens that if I had waited a day, I would have read about Tennessee lawmakers getting expelled for entering the Well in the statehouse. They didn’t get permission. Seemed pretty draconian to me.

A lot of that test seemed so relevant.
Did Stern foresee the future? Or was he on top of events before they got publicized?
Stern predicted it would be Biden/Harris in the 2020 election a year or two before. :oldman: has magical powers!
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Yeah, where'd :sterngard: go? I looked for it. :think:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I didn't take the quiz but I did take a shot at the difficult one. And got it. :lol:
bob

Post by bob »

roadscholar wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:55 am Yeah, where'd :sterngard: go? I looked for it. :think:
Basically got toasted in the Great Crash.
Image ImageImage
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Well I didn't go to Law Skool, but I think that just about anybody could ace that test.

1. What is the famous number central to The Law Against Perpetuities?

=> Forty Seven (47). Of course, 42 is the obvious answer, being the supposed answer to "life, the universe, and everything". But of course, Douglas Adams couldn't print the actual answer or the universe would have come to the end right there and then. So it must be the number that won me the "I've got Dual-Floppies" T-Shirt in the number guessing game at the Seagate booth at the "First West-Coast Computer Faire" back in the day (it only took me 10 years to find a lady who would wear it).

2. What is that famous number related to?

=> I already told you in the answer above. Can't you read?

3. What product or service was provided by the company sued in Palsgraf?

=> Beer. The Lawyer couldn't spell "Falstaff".

4. What three word Latin expression arose from a falling barrel of flour?

=> futuis ego post

5. What legal concept does International Shoe discuss?

=> Is the U.S. Government responsible for Maxwell Smart's phone bills when he is out of the country?

6. Who was M’Naghten?

=> Partner of G'nn in a book publishing business some place.

7. Multiple choice: What is a deodand?

a. The period of time in which to act as extended by a holiday.
b. The space in a courtroom occupied by the clerk.
c. An object causing death forfeited to the Crown.
d. An important decision creating a new legal principle.

=> All of the above: The period of time the clerk occupies space in the courtroom creating a new legal principle by confiscating a forfeited object that caused death. Or something.

8. What area of law did seisin and feoffment relate to?

=> Trademark infringment on products designed to mask body odor caused by too much cofefe.

9. What part of a courtroom must you never enter without permission?

=> The judges personal toilet under the desk.

10. What area of law deals with detrimental reliance?

=> Consumer Affairs: Appropriate compensation for shoddy auto repairs when payment was tendered in sexual favors.
How's I do? Should I start putting "Esq" after my name?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:22 am Well I didn't go to Law Skool, but I think that just about anybody could ace that test.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
:thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Who needs a law degree? You are awarded the Fogbow Honorary Doctorate in Creative Writing!!!!!!!!!! Bravo, sir!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I didn't find any of those answers in my Pocket Konstitshun. :shock:
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Sadly there is a deodand in the news. The rifle used by the murderer in Louisville is forfeit to Kentucky. And it may very well get auctioned off unless there is a change in the law.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ar-15-rif ... tioned-off
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

sterngard friegen wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:38 pm Sadly there is a deodand in the news. The rifle used by the murderer in Louisville is forfeit to Kentucky. And it may very well get auctioned off unless there is a change in the law.

That is crazy. Even down over here in Floriduh, confiscated firearms after prosecution are destroyed. I THINK. :?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:55 am
sterngard friegen wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:38 pm Sadly there is a deodand in the news. The rifle used by the murderer in Louisville is forfeit to Kentucky. And it may very well get auctioned off unless there is a change in the law.

That is crazy. Even down over here in Floriduh, confiscated firearms after prosecution are destroyed. I THINK. :?
Not necessarily.
932.7055 Disposition of liens and forfeited property.—
(1) When a seizing agency obtains a final judgment granting forfeiture of real property or personal property, it may elect to:
(a) Retain the property for the agency’s use;
(b) Sell the property at public auction or by sealed bid to the highest bidder, except for real property which should be sold in a commercially reasonable manner after appraisal by listing on the market; or
(c) Salvage, trade, or transfer the property to any public or nonprofit organization.
And ironically, the money goes to the school fund.
All sums received from the sale or other disposition of the said weapons, electric weapons or devices, or arms disposed of by the sheriff under chapter 705 as aforesaid shall be paid into the State Treasury for the benefit of the State School Fund and shall become a part thereof.
http://www.myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/O ... 760056BD51

Return to “The Funny”