School related violence

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

School related violence

Post by Frater I*I »

roadscholar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:00 pm :snippity:
There’s a tier structure for owning weapons.

Nobody can have Stinger Missiles, or hand grenades.

You can own full-auto weapons (machine guns), but they are extremely regulated and a person has to jump through all sorts of hoops to qualify to own one.

:snippity:
You can own grenades, they are registered with the ATF just like machine guns are...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neeneko

School related violence

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:43 pm WTF changed? I grew up in the 70s and graduated in the mid 80s. I was never scared of going to school. (aside from bullies 'cause neon was and is a wimpy dude). Our school doors were unlocked and I visited years after I left and I did not need to press a buzzer.

WTF happened?
The NRA changed leadership, then made guns a cultural identity rather than a tool.

Though really what happened was social media... the more common something is, the more often people will file it in their cultural catalog of options.
Dave from down under

School related violence

Post by Dave from down under »

Where in the US isn't explosives available?
- a grenade is just explosive in a container with a fuse.
roadscholar

School related violence

Post by roadscholar »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:53 pm
roadscholar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:00 pm :snippity:
There’s a tier structure for owning weapons.

Nobody can have Stinger Missiles, or hand grenades.

You can own full-auto weapons (machine guns), but they are extremely regulated and a person has to jump through all sorts of hoops to qualify to own one.

You can own grenades, they are registered with the ATF just like machine guns are...
I stand corrected. But the basic idea is right: we already treat weapons (and vehicles) in a tiered structure, based on their potential danger to the public.

I see no reason why assault-type weapons couldn't have their regulatory status adjusted. It's an easier argument to make vs. an outright ban.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Dave from down under

School related violence

Feel free to take nationally the NSW approach:

To lawfully possess or use firearms in NSW a person must be authored to do so by a firearms licence or permit.
This FACT sheet provides information on the different categories of licence available and the types of firearms
which apply to each licence category.

What are the licence categories are available to licence holders in NSW?
Category A, B, C, D, H, Firearms Collector and Firearms Dealer.

What firearms are applicable to a Category A firearms licence?
* Air rifles.
* Rimfire rifles (other than self-loading).
* Shotguns (other than pump action, lever action or self-loading).
* Shotgun/rimfire combinations.
All prohibited firearms are excluded from this licence category. Prohibited firearms are listed in Schedule 1 of the
Firearms Act 1996.

What firearms are applicable to a Category B firearms licence?
* Muzzle-loading firearms (other than pistols).
* Centre-fire rifles (other than self-loading).
* Shotgun/centre-fire rifle combinations.
* Lever action shotguns with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds.
All prohibited firearms are excluded from this licence category. Prohibited firearms are listed in Schedule 1 of the
Firearms Act 1996.

What firearms are applicable to a Category C firearms licence?
* Self-loading rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity of no more than 10 rounds.
* Self-loading shotguns with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds.
* Pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds.
These firearms are prohibited except for limited purposes.
Some firearms, specifically those adapted for military purposes, are excluded under all circumstances from this
licence category.

What firearms are applicable to a Category D firearms licence?
* Self-loading centre-fire rifles.
* Self-loading rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds.
* Self-loading shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.
* Pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.
* Lever action shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds.
* Any firearms to which a Category C licence applies.
These firearms are prohibited except for official purposes.
Some firearms, specifically those adapted for military purposes, are excluded under all circumstances from this
licence category.

What firearms are applicable to a Category H firearms licence?
* Pistols (including blank fire pistols and air pistols).
Prohibited firearms are excluded from this licence category. Prohibited pistols are not authorised for Sport/Target
shooters.

Are there restrictions on the types of firearms allowed for each genuine reason?
Yes. There are restrictions on the category of licence, and therefore types of firearms, allowed for each genuine
reason. See each individual genuine reason FACT Sheet for restrictions on licence category and types of firearms
authorised for each genuine reason. Also, see the Genuine Reason Table available on the Licence and Genuine
Reason page on the website.

Licence Categories and Firearm Types
Where can I find more information?
The information provided in the FACT Sheet is for general guidance only.
Applicants and licensees should familiarise themselves with the Firearms Act
1996 and the associated Regulation, which are available on the NSW
Legislation website - www.legislation.nsw.gov.au.

Are there restrictions on what the firearms can be used for?
Yes. Firearms may only be used in connection with the purpose established by
the person as being the genuine reason for possessing or using the firearm -
sections 7 and 7A of the Firearms Act 1996.
For example, if you have category A and B firearms for the sole genuine reason
of Sport / Target shooting, you cannot use those firearms for any other
purpose.

What about imitation firearms?
Imitation firearms are defined in section 4D of the Firearms Act 1996.
A person must obtain a firearms permit to possess or use imitation firearms.
For more information on imitation firearms, see the FACT Sheet 'Imitation
Firearms Permit' available on the Firearms Permit page on the Firearms
Registry Internet site.

Are there any restrictions on the number or type of firearms able to be
acquired?
Yes. There are restrictions on the acquisition of handguns for Probationary
Pistol Licence holders.
No Permits to Acquire a Handgun will be issued for the first six months of the
probationary pistol licence. Only two Permits to Acquire will be issued in the
second six months of the probationary pistol licence.
As a Probationary Pistol Licence holder you may have a combination of any
two handguns, with the exception that you must not possess a centrefire and a
rimfire pistol at the same time, within the second six months.

Are there restrictions on a category C licence?
Yes. The number of firearms authorised under a Category C licence issued to a
primary producer are limited to:
* No more than one registered self-loading rimfire rifle with a magazine
capacity of no more than 10 rounds, and
* No more than one registered shotgun.
Consideration may be given to increasing the number of firearms authorised
under this licence, if a special need exists, and has been established to the
satisfaction of the Commissioner.
The special need could be the size of the rural property or because your
activities involve more than one rural property.

Are there restrictions on a category D licence?
Yes. The number of firearms authorised under a Category D licence issued to a
primary producer, (or a person who is the owner, lessee or manager of land
used for primary production) and who is participating in an authorised
campaign under the VPAC genuine reason, is restricted to three (3) registered
firearms.
Dave from down under

School related violence

FIREARMS ACT 1996 - SCHEDULE 1
SCHEDULE 1 – Prohibited firearms
(cf APMC 1, Sch 1 PW Act)

(Section 4 (1))

1 Any machine gun, sub-machine gun or other firearm capable of propelling projectiles in rapid succession during one pressure of the trigger.

2 Any self-loading rimfire rifle (including any such firearm described elsewhere in this Schedule).

3 Any self-loading centre-fire rifle (including any such firearm described elsewhere in this Schedule).

4 Any self-loading or pump action shotgun (including any such firearm described elsewhere in this Schedule).

4A Any lever action shotgun with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds (including any such firearm described elsewhere in this Schedule).

5 a self-loading centre-fire rifle that is designed or adapted for military purposes, other than a self-loading centre-fire rifle mentioned in Schedule 3, clause 35

6 a self-loading shotgun that is designed or adapted for military purposes, other than a self-loading shotgun mentioned in Schedule 3, clause 35

7 Any firearm that substantially duplicates in appearance (regardless of calibre or manner of operation) a firearm referred to in item 1, 5 or 6.

8 A firearm, not being a pistol, of the Uberti or Armi-Jager brands, or any similar firearm fitted with a revolving ammunition cylinder (other than a firearm manufactured before 1920).

9 A shotgun fitted with or designed to be fitted with a drum magazine of the "Striker 12" assault shotgun type or any similar weapon.

10 Any firearm to which there is attached any article or device capable of muffling, reducing or stopping the noise created by firing the firearm.

11 A firearm, not being a pistol, fitted with a stock that is specially designed so as to be readily detachable, or to operate on a swivel, folding or telescopic basis.

12 A firearm made up in the form of a stylographic or propelling pen or pencil, capable of being used for the discharge of gas, bullets, shot, dye or pyrotechnic flares.

13 A firearm capable of discharging by any means--
(a) any irritant matter in liquid, powder, gas or chemical form, or
(b) any pyrotechnic flare or dye.

14 A firearm that--
(a) substantially duplicates in appearance some other article (such as a walking stick, walking cane or key ring), and
(b) disguises or conceals the fact that it is a firearm.

15 A cannon or other weapon by whatever name known of a type which will expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has a barrel with a bore in excess of 10 gauge, not being a firearm of the Very or rocket type designed and intended for use for life saving or distress signalling purposes, an antique muzzle loading firearm, or a rifle or shotgun manufactured before 1920.

16 Any firearm which, or part of which, has a dimension less than the minimum dimension prescribed for the firearm or part by the regulations.

18 Any device known as a "powerhead" that can be attached to the end of a spear gun and that is designed to propel a projectile by means of an explosive.
Dave from down under

School related violence

Note - Self defence is not a valid reason to own a firearm in NSW.
Sam the Centipede

School related violence

Post by Sam the Centipede »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:30 pm :think: if only we could figure out what they are doing differently...
… and avoid doing it?? ;)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:07 pm There are a lot of holes in this response, obviously, but one that struck me immediately is... Is there really a film that you can put on glass that will stop bullets from an AR-15? Seems far-fetched, but what do I know?
No, the special film is glued in place in a sandwich of glass. The glass needs to be the dimension to withstand the power of the bullets fired and one wishes protection from. The glass is intended to crack while absorbing the energy, the film has the task to prevent the glass shattering and leaving a hole, also to prevent bystanders be hurt by glas particles. In the lower dimension on can observe this in car windows. The glas deforms but does not splinter and cut up the person getting thrown at or thru the window.

The thickness of the glass sandwich will determine the price, the glass is a speciality product this application. The US forces use them (in smaller dimensions) with their Humvees and MRAPs.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

School related violence

Post by raison de arizona »

Gregg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:26 pm Massie, representing DTA....

I may someday get pissed off enough to run against him.
The words I have for Massie are all obscene. Interesting week my $%^#^T&$#@. Just another crop of dead kids, do-de-do.
Thomas Massie @RepThomasMassie wrote: Interesting week. Headed back to a normal world in Kentucky. #sassywithmassie
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

School related violence

Post by Gregg »

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
John Thomas8

School related violence

Post by John Thomas8 »

I did not think I was going to be writing this a couple of days ago. I didn’t even want to broach the matter of the Nashville shooting because the tragedy immediately became a lightning rod for a bad-faith defense of a specific brand of hateful political rhetoric for which we have had at a steady boil at nearly every reactionary lectern we can turn to. This has inevitably spilled into my own lap as many people have bothered me for my take on this whole situation in the last few days (which was in poor taste if you ask me).

Nonetheless, I do have some feelings that I’ve been thinking heavily upon. I was going to keep them to myself, but the discourse around this shooting has been awful (as always), and I’m just hoping that by making a statement of some sort, some of my words might offer some food for thought or encouragement for some distressed people out there, few as it may.

First and foremost, so much of the narrative I’m seeing calls the shooter’s gender in question as the focus over the backdrop of the victims - why is this even a question? You want to weaponize a trans man’s identity against himself as evidence for some broader, baseless attack on trans people at large instead of taking a substantial look into why school shootings have been rampant in the last few decades? The shooter’s a man. If you want to talk about gender, let’s talk about gender of, well, pretty much every school shooter. This isn’t to just wag a finger at men and label them all monsters. No, this is a clear symptom of toxic masculinity, and I think you all already know that. I already know what healthy masculinity looks like, and I’m quite fortunate to know a lot of men in my life who make excellent role models for future generations - something that we really could use more of instead of the worst personality traits and habits that are regularly encouraged through arrogance mistaken for some notion of “masculinity”. Furthermore, we need families to foster open, thoughtful, two-way dialogue, for parents to be meaningfully in touch with their children in validating ways, so as to not encourage them to hide their feelings in a dark place where their wounds are allowed to fester into a spectacle that harms innocent life. Friends also need to reciprocate this, and young folks everywhere need to not be left to suffer in silence by the closest people in their lives.

Do we have a mental health crisis? I mean, of course we do. The healthcare system in this country is extremely broken and has no meaningful capacity for mental wellness. That’s a critique of a broader systemic healthcare issue - but are school shootings a consequence? It can be argued. This still appears to be more of a social issue than a clear-cut mental health issue. I think socialization, namely isolation and alienation, are far more to blame here for reasons stated above, and you can tell based on the demographics of school shooters that there’s a clear imbalance and pattern here. If you want to call the shooter’s transness back into question, that still cannot account for school shooter demographics in which even rumored trans shooters are a microscopic minority, even by the standard of proportionally comparing that to the greater population that is trans versus that of cis gendered people, let alone that as of writing this, there have been no trans women school shooters. If you wanted to claim that mental health was all there was to blame, only to conflate that with the transness of the shooter, then what about all the other mass shooters that dwarf this statistic in comparison? Is it true that mental illness is a big issue among trans populations? Absolutely, but that is more a consequence of the damage that an outwardly hostile society inflicts upon them, not some sort of innate quality to the trans experience where love and care cultivate healthy and happy individuals. Further, if you wish to paint this with a broad mental health brush, you’d still be lacking any of the nuance to understand that people who struggle with mental health issues are far more likely to be the victims of violence to neurotypical people (if there absolutely was such a thing), not the other way around.

*long breath*

For those who will continually leverage tragedies like this in order to expand the control of the state over the individual, who would indignify marginalized communities, target whatever scapegoat fits within the scope of the witch hunt that is politically convenient at the moment, who would distort crucial details to serve a narrative for which the ignorant are preyed upon and leveraged as political tokens and trinkets, all in the name of progress on empty platitudes, shame on you. Of course this is a tragedy that should never have happened, and therefore you should have an earnest desire to get to the root of the issue, of which I feel I describe above. Is it a convenient and easy issue that can be solved in an election cycle? Of course not, don’t be stupid. But get to it now, in substantial, healing ways that build a healthier society, rather than hold your breath that it will all suddenly become more palatable through some cheap legislation that does nothing to address the underlying cause.

In turn, stop robbing some of the most vulnerable populations of the one force equalizer that at least tips the scales of keeping ourselves safe in our day to day lives. We are tired of our struggles being co-opted by the likes of those who would then turn this dead language into ammunition to be used against us and our first line of protection - it’s certainly not you who we will be relying on for our safety.

Lastly, to my trans siblings. Pay very, very close attention to what is being said about this tragedy right now. Intellectual dishonesty in much of it is thicker than lead. Use your gut, call it for what it is, and don’t mince words when talking about this matter - as it does affect us one way or another, and sadly in ways that are largely out of our control. Try to only worry about what you can control. More than anything, be kind to yourselves. You deserve it, your life is beautiful, just as that beauty of your life is worth defending. Don’t let this discourage a single one of you from taking whatever means you feel is best for yourself in order to keep you and your loved ones safe from harm. Be careful, be smart, do only what you feel is right for you, but also have courage and look out for one another.

One way or another, we’re in this together. My heart and thoughts are with the victims and their families in the wake of the Covenant School shooting. Let’s work together to empower ourselves and our communities to take more honest steps towards building a healthier, safer, and freer future for us all. We owe that to ourselves.

Transgender YouTuber Tacticool Girlfriend
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

School related violence

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
humblescribe
Verified:

School related violence

Post by humblescribe »

Just a comment from my extremely limited understanding of how we delegate responsibilities in these United States as it pertains to Dave from Down Under's sensible proposals. . .

In California (and most likely in most other states as well) the person charged with implementing any sort of gun oversight is the elected county sheriff. The sheriff issues conceal carry permits. We know that there are county sheriffs who are card-carrying members of the CSPOA who will flaunt any rules that they do not subscribe to. There are others who are corrupt (see Los Angeles County). With more and more states adopting open carry laws, it sorta renders any sort of concealed carry rules obsolete. I know for fact that the former county sheriff where I live would issue a concealed carry permit to anyone who could fog a mirror that was placed under their nose.

As long as there are enough politicians who receive generous contributions from the gun industry, as long as there are enough members of the judiciary who are staunch 2A supporters, we will never have any sort of sensible solutions to all the guns. Look how the Republicans have exploited the federal system in Amarillo, Texas. They can file suit with anything they don't like with that lone judge (Kacsmaryk) and get their injunction or whatever else they want. The Fifth Circuit is not much better. Do we really think that the current composition of the Supremes will ever consider restricting gun ownership or use? If anything these bozos will liberalize it more and more.

We have reached the point where the sole political reasoning for not doing anything about stricter gun regulations is the tired saw of "owning the libs." Why else do all these Congress critters post pictures of themselves and their families armed with an assortment of guns? It is theater, plain and simple. It receives internet clicks and media coverage. They know full well it gets under the skin of all the Democrats and most independents, and likely some Republicans. And it makes it easy to win reelection in their districts.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

Copycats. :mad:

Over 50 'Swatting' Threats Plague NY School Districts Tuesday: Hochul

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/s/ ... 27b23925a1
"Swatting" means a caller falsely states that there is an active shooter in a school, officials have said. Schools on Long Island, in Central New York, the Southern Tier and the North Country received the threats Tuesday, Hochul said.

"I want to reassure parents that their children are safe at school - swatting threats are false and intended to cause panic and scare students, teachers and families," Hochul stated.

The governor directed state police to investigate the threats and work closely with all levels of law enforcement to find the culprits and hold them accountable, Hochul said.

"Since the first round of swatting incidents occurred last week, State Police has been working closely with the State Education Department, county leadership and local school boards to provide support and any necessary resources to address these incidents," Hochul said. "My top priority will always be the safety of New Yorkers."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

School related violence

Post by raison de arizona »

Mother of 6-year-old student who shot teacher charged with child neglect

The mother of a 6-year-old who shot his first-grade teacher in Newport News, Virginia, in January has been indicted on charges of felony child neglect, and one count of recklessly leaving a firearm to endanger a child, a news release from the office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney said Monday.

The child will not be criminally charged, Newport News Commonwealth’s Attorney Howard Gwynn said last month.

Deja Taylor’s son shot his teacher Abigail Zwerner, 25, on January 6 at Richneck Elementary School, leaving her in the hospital with gunshot wounds to her hand and chest, investigators said.

The indictment comes after a “thorough investigation” from the police and the Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office, according to the news release.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/10/us/mothe ... index.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Volkonski »

Good.

Parents who leave guns where kids can find them should be prosecuted.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

School related violence

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

School related violence

Post by Kendra »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:40 pm Good.

Parents who leave guns where kids can find them should be prosecuted.
Yes.
Gregg

School related violence

Post by Gregg »

A gun should be the kind of liability nightmare normally associated with a backyard trampoline.

I don't know whether it's true or not, but dating back to when I was in Middle School and the neighbors new stepfather cut their trampoline up in pieces because he said just owning one meant people would sue you, even if you gave it away. Ever since then, I have been under the impression that owning a trampoline was the most dangerous thing any American could do, they were just little lawsuits in the back yard waiting to send generations to the poor house.

A gun should be like that. For the company that makes them, the distributors and retailers who sell them, the people who own them all should be legally liable for whatever bad that gun may someday do, even if they sold it, threw it out, mailed it to Indonesia, doesn't matter. If you ever owned it, you're responsible for it unless you turn it over to be destroyed. No more "it got stolen" when it turns up a murder weapon. Too bad, you should have locked it up better. "I sold it year ago" isn't good enough when a 4 year old accidently shoots his playdate, you should have sold it to someone more responsible. And FFS if you ever posed your whole family, including 6 year old Susie with her pink Glock 9 on Christmas Cards, that should be an automatic enhancement on any criminal sentence you may incur.

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

School related violence

Post by neonzx »

Gregg wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:25 pm A gun should be the kind of liability nightmare normally associated with a backyard trampoline.

I don't know whether it's true or not, but dating back to when I was in Middle School and the neighbors new stepfather cut their trampoline up in pieces because he said just owning one meant people would sue you, even if you gave it away. Ever since then, I have been under the impression that owning a trampoline was the most dangerous thing any American could do, they were just little lawsuits in the back yard waiting to send generations to the poor house.
I didn't have a trampoline back then prior to becoming "woke".

I had lawn-darts. Does that count?
Gregg

School related violence

Post by Gregg »

neonzx wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:34 pm
Gregg wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:25 pm A gun should be the kind of liability nightmare normally associated with a backyard trampoline.

I didn't have a trampoline back then prior to becoming "woke".

I had lawn-darts. Does that count?
We called them "Darwin Tag"

AndyinPA
Verified:

School related violence

Post by AndyinPA »

I remember them. Saw one go into the side of a house. Didn't make the renters happy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

School related violence

What’s wrong with training the young in history

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumbata
RVInit

School related violence

Post by RVInit »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:13 pm I remember them. Saw one go into the side of a house. Didn't make the renters happy.
When I was a kid I threw a dart and it went right into the knee of a friend's brother who was kneeling down on one knee and the other knee was oh-so-exposed. It didn't make him happy. :oopsy: :oopsy: :oopsy:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”