Hijack This Thread

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

When the Deep State works against the administration - or does it?
Study finds the cost of partisanship among federal workers

by University of California, Berkeley Haas School of Business
21-Apr-2021 9:00 AM EDT,

Newswise — When Donald Trump became president in 2017, federal employees who lean Democratic found themselves working for an administration they didn’t agree with. The same thing happened eight years earlier to Republican bureaucrats when Barack Obama took office.

Most civil servants carry on no matter who occupies the Oval Office, but this inevitable political mismatch does take a toll on productivity: A new study has found that cost overruns in federal contracts increase by about 8% when the worker overseeing them is misaligned with the president’s party.

The study is the first analysis of how partisanship affects hundreds of thousands of government workers at the individual level. Authored by Guo Xu, an assistant professor at Berkeley Haas, with Jorg L. Spenkuch and Edoardo Teso of Northwestern Kellogg, it was made possible by combining personnel records obtained through Freedom of Information Act requests with voter registration records. The researchers also analyzed data from an employee survey to get a sense of workers’ feelings about their jobs.

“We do see evidence for reduced performance due to not being aligned with your leader,” Xu said. “Some people might be quick to think there is some sort of ‘deep state’ slowing things down, but we see the same thing from the Republican side as the Democrat side. Based on our evidence, it looks like misaligned civil servants just become less motivated overall.”

We do see evidence for reduced performance due to not being aligned with your leader

First look at ideology among civil servants
The study, published as a National Bureau of Economic Research working paper, is filled with insights on the federal bureaucracy. From Office of Personnel Management records that included the names, ages, education, occupation, job location, and pay for nearly 3 million federal employees from 1997 to 2019, the researchers were able to match 1.26 million people with their voter registration records. That gave them detailed information on about 45% of federal workers over four presidential administrations: Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Obama, and Trump.

“This allowed us to look inside the black box of who works for the federal government,” said Xu.

https://www.newswise.com/articles/study ... al-workers
:o
Dems have more education, more seniority
The analysis also found that Democrats even more heavily represented in the ranks of upper management jobs, topping out at 63% of senior executives, the level just below presidential appointees. However, this discrepancy is driven largely by the fact that Democrats tend to enter the civil service with higher rates of college and graduate degrees, and tend to stay in government careers longer, relative to Republicans. Even in comparable jobs at the same pay level, Democrats have higher education on average than Republicans.

“These facts are at least suggestive of a higher proclivity for public service among Democrats,” the researchers wrote.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:27 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:04 am
So, speaking of problems, ours is ants. It's that time of year for the annual Great Ravished Sugar Ant Wake up.
:snippity:
I get ants every spring in my kitchen and I hate the little bastards. I don't like cruel sticky traps and having to watch them die being stuck there either. I spray everything around the kitchen sink and counters with vinegar water. I make mine fairly strong, it doesn't kill them or keep them totally away but it does help a lot.

https://paynepestmgmt.com/does-vinegar- ... d-of-ants/
And speaking of the devil.... I woke up this morning with the kitchen sink and counters covered with millions of fucking ants, bird feathers all over the kitchen floor, and bird innards vomited up on the floor the front hallway. :faint:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MsDaisy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:24 am And speaking of the devil.... I woke up this morning with the kitchen sink and counters covered with millions of fucking ants, bird feathers all over the kitchen floor, and bird innards vomited up on the floor the front hallway. :faint:
Oh, gross!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

MsDaisy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:24 am
And speaking of the devil.... I woke up this morning with the kitchen sink and counters covered with millions of fucking ants, bird feathers all over the kitchen floor, and bird innards vomited up on the floor the front hallway. :faint:
Your kitty loves you, Mom! :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:41 am
MsDaisy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:24 am And speaking of the devil.... I woke up this morning with the kitchen sink and counters covered with millions of fucking ants, bird feathers all over the kitchen floor, and bird innards vomited up on the floor the front hallway. :faint:
Oh, gross!
It's even worse when you step in that kind of stuff with bare feet, which is why I never go barefoot in this house.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Black Couple Says Texas Authorities Seized Their Newborn Because They Chose a Midwife Over a Hospital

Kylie Cheung
Fri, April 7, 2023 at 3:14 PM GMT+2

Dallas residents Rodney and Temecia Jackson say Dallas CPS and police took their newborn daughter Mila last week shortly after her home birth, and they don’t know if or when they’ll get her back.

UPDATE 4/7, 9:15 a.m.: This piece has been updated to include additional context about the baby’s medical situation from the pediatricians’s letter to Child Protective Services, as reported Thursday evening by the local news outlet WFAA.

Two weeks ago, Dallas parents Temecia and Rodney Jackson opted for a home birth for their newborn daughter, Mila, with licensed midwife Cheryl Edinbyrd. As of Thursday, the infant remains in the custody of Dallas Child Protective Services in what the Jacksons and their advocates at the Dallas-based, Black-women-led birth and reproductive justice organization The Afiya Center have likened to a “kidnapping.” Minutes before the start of a scheduled Thursday morning hearing for the couple to get their newborn back, the hearing was postponed to April 20th—two weeks from now.

Shortly after Mila’s birth last month, upon taking her to see their pediatrician, they learned she had developed a case of jaundice—a highly common condition in newborns resulting in the yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes, which typically goes away without treatment within one to two weeks. Dr. Anand Bhatt said the case was severe enough that they should take her to the hospital for phototherapy treatment, but the Jacksons opted to do the same phototherapy treatment for Mila in their home under Edinbyrd’s guidance. According to the letter Bhatt ultimately wrote CPS, published by local outlet WFAA, he was concerned that they had the wrong lights for the treatment. They’d connected him with Edinbyrd, but he was having trouble getting bacl in touch with them directly, and he decided to report them “after trying 10 attempts to appeal to the family through phone calls, text messages and leaving voicemails as they did not pick up the phone.”

“Parents are very loving and they care dearly about their baby,” he wrote of the Jacksons. “Their distrust for medical care and guidance has led them to make a decision for the baby to refuse a simple treatment that can prevent brain damage.” Baylor Scott & White Hospital declined to comment on this story “in respect of patient privacy.”

Within days, the Jacksons say Dallas police officers and CPS agents arrived at their doorstep at around 5 a.m., informing the family that their pediatrician had reported them and demanding that they turn her over. The officers eventually left their home when the Jacksons refused—only to return hours later and tell the family that Mila was legally in the custody of Dallas CPS. The Jacksons again refused to turn over their newborn and instead reached out to their midwife for help. “Our midwife then reached out to the pediatrician, just letting him know that he had traumatized us, that we were woken up by police banging our door at 4 a.m., 5 a.m. Then after she gave him all the credentials he’d requested from her, he pretty much said he was going to leave our care and our midwife teams,” Temecia said at a Thursday press conference organized by the Afiya Center.

Over the next few days, everything seemed fine. But last Tuesday, as Rodney was walking the family’s dog outside their house, the police returned. He refused to surrender the baby when they confronted him, so they placed him under arrest, seized his keys, and used them to enter his home. There, officers took Mila from Temecia while she was alone.

Puzzlingly, on top of all this, Temecia claims the warrant that the Desoto Police Department and CPS agents used to take Mila didn’t even list her own name, instead listing her mother as another woman who’s previously had run-ins with CPS. The Jacksons still don’t even have Mila’s birth certificate because she wasn’t born in a hospital. “Instantly, I felt like they had stolen my baby, as I’d had a home birth. I didn’t know where to turn,” Temecia said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/black-couple ... 00239.html
(original: Jezebel)
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

pictures of the then very young guys in the article!
Please Please Us: Lost tape of Beatles school gig could be saved for the nation
Sixty years ago, a little-known Liverpudlian band took to the stage at Stowe school in Buckinghamshire

Vanessa Thorpe Arts and media correspondent
Sun 9 Apr 2023 07.00 BST

It was a sweet slice of cultural history and, at the same time, evidence of an unlikely clash of English social classes. The discovery of a tape recording of an early Beatles concert made in 1963 at a Buckinghamshire private school last week has astonished music experts and fans alike.

And now the crackling, hissing 60-year-old tape, complete with audible banter from the Fab Four, is to be restored for wider listening, according to the BBC journalist who uncovered the story, Samira Ahmed. The former student who made the tape, John Bloomfield, hopes to have it enhanced with the same kind of technology that has recently improved other early Beatles demo tapes and first studio takes.

“Talks are under way to get [the tape] cleaned up and for a permanent home in a national cultural institution,” Ahmed has told the Observer. “John feels strongly that it should not end up, as so many Beatles relics have, in the vault of a private individual.”

Bloomfield was the teenage stage manager for the concert in the Stowe school theatre on 4 April and he had the foresight to place a microphone at the front of the stage, that fed into his new Butoba MT5 recording machine. Fearing later that its poor quality made it worthless, he simply stored it away in his home while the band’s worldwide fame grew and grew, enduring even now, more than half a century after they last played together in public.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/ ... the-nation
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

It was 60 years ago today… schoolboy’s tape of the Beatles transports us to an era of optimism
Private-school pupils unselfconsciously screamed for their working-class heroes

Samira Ahmed
Sun 9 Apr 2023 07.01 BST

What’s on the set list? Why did he only tell you about the tape now after 60 years? Two of the questions I’ve been bombarded with since I made public the existence of an almost complete concert recording of the Beatles on the cusp of their great breakout.

There’s a third question of my own: why has the news that 15-year-old John Bloomfield made and kept a tape recording of the Beatles playing at Stowe boarding school in Buckinghamshire on 4 April 1963 gladdened our hearts quite so much? Answers to all three lie ahead.

I’ve long felt a bit embarrassed about the fetishisation of every tiny piece of Beatles archive footage as they have emerged, treated like religious relics. When I pitched my story reflecting on the 60th anniversary of the Beatles at Stowe to my Front Row editor, there was no suspicion of a tape.

My idea came from a chance visit last summer. I saw the blue plaque commemorating the gig on the school’s Roxburgh Hall theatre and knew there was a story in that night’s unique collision of class and an all-male teenage audience. Who knows how many young male hearts beat a little faster that night as Ringo Starr sang Boys?

We fixed on a date to go to Stowe in late March, before the Easter holidays. The headmaster, Anthony Wallersteiner, promised to round up any of the diminishing number of old boys he could. Bloomfield, the show’s stage manager, was the only one who could make it, and Wallersteiner, in a memorable email dated 3 March, introduced us, observing: “There was a rumour that one of the boys ran a wire from a microphone to a reel-to-reel tape recording under the stage. Is this a Stowe myth?”

The reply came back from John: “Guilty as charged, ’twas I. Not under the stage, but right in front of it. I will see if I can find the tape and if it is still usable.”

On 22 March, producer Julian May and I turned up to record at Stowe, not knowing if Bloomfield had managed to find the tape. He had. It turns out he’d felt embarrassed too. A self-confessed tech head, trying out his new Butoba MT5 recorder, taking a dozen D-cell batteries costing 10 old pence each, he’d regarded it merely as a poor quality amateur recording of songs better captured in official releases.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... f-optimism
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Hijack This Thread

Post by Greatgrey »

Somehow I can’t help think the MAGAs are gonna lose their collective shit once they become aware that someone took an oath on something other than a biBle.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

in reference to taking the oath i looked and found this:
Taking An Oath Of Office? Feel Free To Use Whatever Book You Like.

Jan 19, 2023
Rob Boston

Many elected officials are being sworn into their positions around now, so it’s a good time to remember that nothing in the Constitution or laws of the United States requires taking an oath of office on a Christian Bible.

To be sure, many politicians choose to swear in on a Bible, but it’s not required. In recent years, officeholders have placed their hands on volumes of municipal codes, Dr. Suess books, the U.S. Constitution, copies of the Quran or other documents.

In Pennsylvania, the state’s new governor Josh Shapiro, who is Jewish, was on Tuesday sworn in on three Jewish texts, including one book borrowed from the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh, the site of a deadly 2018 antisemitic attack where a gunman killed 11 people.

Political leaders often choose to use volumes that have historical significance. In Maryland, Wes Moore, who is the state’s first Black governor, yesterday took the oath on a Bible once owned by Frederick Douglass.

New House Member Sworn In On Comic Book

Below a copy of the U.S. Constitution, freshman U.S. Rep. Robert Garcia (D-Calif.) also held the first issue of a “Superman” comic book on loan from the Library of Congress, a photo of his parents (who died from COVID) and his citizenship certificate – all items he said had personal meaning.

Officeholders can use whatever volume is meaningful for them (or none at all – simply raising your hand is also an option). Why is it necessary to continue pointing this out? Well, some Christian nationalists keep spreading misinformation. In 2006, former U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), the first Muslim elected to Congress, placed his hand on a Quran during a ceremonial swearing-in ceremony. Some Christian Nationalists insisted that Ellison should not be allowed to use a Quran or that it was even illegal. It happened again in 2019 when U.S. Reps. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) and Rashida Tlaib (D.-Mich.) used Qurans during private swearing-in ceremonies.

https://www.au.org/the-latest/articles/ ... ice-books/
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

What is this bible fetish about? I've had to testify in court -- no bible and no "so help me God".
These Americans are strange creatures.

If I was required to use a book to lay my hand upon, it likely would be one of J.R.R. Tolkiens
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:53 am What is this bible fetish about? I've had to testify in court -- no bible and no "so help me God".
These Americans are strange creatures.

If I was required to use a book to lay my hand upon, it likely would be one of J.R.R. Tolkiens
I have thought about this over the years. I came up with three options to choose between if the time ever came that I was required to take an oath of office:

1) A collection of several holy books: The Pentateuch, the Jefferson New Testament, the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita (the whole Mahabharata would likely be too big), and perhaps the First Ten books of Confucius. Held so my hand rests on their spines touching all.

or

2) "The Masks of God' volume 1" by Joseph Campbell

or

3) "The Character of Physical Law" by Richard Feynman
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

"Why Evolution Is True" by Professor Ceiling Cat aka Professor Emeritus Jerry Coyne.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

If I had to swear an oath of office or something similar, I'd either use my Hammer, which is a traditional object of oathing in Heathenry, or a copy of the Havamal, which is considered a collection of Odin's wisdom. Being Thorian myself, though, I'd prefer the hammer :)
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

What is it we’re not hearing about?

pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

Brilliant. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Phoenix520 »

Oh my, Lady Graham Cracker is to die for :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hot in Pink Pence is my favorite!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pjhimself

Hijack This Thread

Post by pjhimself »

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://www.michigannewssource.com/2023 ... e-headline
so, I went to the source MSU Inclusive Guide, "female" is "pejorative": Avoid the term “female” as a noun for women. The pejorative term reduces women to their assumed biological anatomy. (Note: the guide doesn't state that "Male" is "pejorative" for men that reduces them to biology?

nickname is also a no-no: Avoid the term “nickname,” which implies that a person’s name is a substitute for their legal name. (So, I can no longer refer to red-headed friends as "Red"? or Robert as "Rob" or "Bobby")
from their "Global Identity" section: Avoid charged words and judgmental labels to describe religions and religious communities such as “extremist,” “militant,” “terrorist,” “radical,” “fundamentalist,” “cult”, “sect,” “devout” and “pious.”

you can find the rest of the "terms to avoid" at the link for the Guide,

The substitute terms I can live with - except I have brain damage due to a brain injury. (an MRI found dead white matter, and a few mini strokes) so, I have both.

Wait! there's more: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 961282002/

The use of words deemed "offensive" is bringing us, imho, closer to 'crime stop' in which you self-censor and therefore limit your language and thought.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:13 pm https: //m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=697367365768599&id=100064860241186&mibextid=qC1gEa
Awesome work. Very well done. Bannon never looked better.
pipistrelle

Hijack This Thread

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:24 am
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:13 pm https: //m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=697367365768599&id=100064860241186&mibextid=qC1gEa
Awesome work. Very well done. Bannon never looked better.
Yeah. But don't look at the fingers on some of them.

Return to “General Stuff”