Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

John Karl Fetterman - US Senator PA - Stroke, Depression, Recovery

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

What happened to John Fetterman between his stroke and depression is an important story for Americans.
One-in-three stroke patients develops depression. Twenty-one million American adults have experienced major depression. What makes John Fetterman's diagnosis unique (but not unprecedented) is a politician sharing it publicly. "My message right now isn't political," he said. "I'm just somebody that's suffering from depression."
Today, he was interviewed by Jane Pauley for Sunday Morning. Tremendous compassion for him and his family. We have a topic on his election, but in a way, this is really his beginning by returning to the Senate. John's Senate page: https://www.fetterman.senate.gov/

Sen. John Fetterman discusses his depression, recovery
CBS Sunday Morning
36,991 views Apr 2, 2023 #johnfetterman #depression #mentalhealth
In an interview days before his release from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the Pennsylvania Senator talked with "Sunday Morning" anchor Jane Pauley about his "downward spiral" that led to a diagnosis of major depression. He also talks about sharing news of his difficulties publicly, how his health scare affected his family, and his reasons for feeling hopeful for the future.

OpEd by Gisele Barreto Fetterman in Elle:
The Tired Trope of the ‘Power Hungry’ Woman
In an exclusive op-ed, Gisele Fetterman recounts the “vicious attacks” she received after her husband, Sen. John Fetterman, checked into Walter Reed to seek treatment for clinical depression.

Politics can require living the worst moments of your life in public.

About a month ago, my husband John checked into Walter Reed to seek treatment for clinical depression. In an instant, our world—already closely monitored, highly scrutinized, and heavily trolled by right-wing extremists—exploded.

Media trucks circled our front yard. Our kids were home from school, hurting. So I did the first thing I could think to do: Packed them in the car and drove.

On the banks of Niagara Falls, we talked about flexibility, open hearts, and open minds. We talked about how joy, love, and fun can—and must—coexist with pain and heartbreak. We talked about doing scary things while remaining gentle with ourselves and with each other. We also talked about how incredibly brave their father’s actions were.

I’m so glad we had that time together to process this difficult moment as a family. Especially because, while we didn’t know it yet, another storm was brewing.

From the moment John shared his news, vicious attacks started pouring in. John suffered a stroke during his Senate campaign, so I already knew how cruel people could be about judging someone’s health and using it as a weapon. But I’ll admit, I was surprised to find that this time the vast majority of the harassment wasn’t directed toward John—but at me.

On social media, people accused me of kidnapping the kids and running away to Canada. They promoted conspiracy theories claiming I was an ambitious, power hungry wife, secretly plotting to fill his Senate seat. It was all so wildly preposterous.

Threats against me and my family multiplied in frequency, volume, and severity, including active threats of harm.

Soon enough, what started on the extreme fringe worked its way into the right-wing media: Candace Owens called me an “absolute monster” on Fox News. A Washington Examiner column claimed I was failing my husband. Threats against me and my family multiplied in frequency, volume, and severity, including active threats of harm.

To say these attacks frighten me and my children would be a grave understatement. But at the same time, I’ve been dealing with a version of this for several years now. As soon as John’s political profile began to grow, I started receiving hate mail—ten times more than John ever got himself.
Much more and photos: https://www.elle.com/culture/career-pol ... man-essay/
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Liz Brown-Kaiser @lizbrownkaiser wrote: .@SenFettermanPA reacts to Speaker McCarthy moving forward with a House impeachment inquiry into POTUS…

(Just watch)
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona

Screw Nate Silver, that little creep. Comparing WEARING A FREAKING HOODIE to Boebert's acts of public indecency? What a load of crap.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I agree those two are not the same, but TBH I am disappointed that he wears the hoodie and shorts in Congress. I hope it's not on the floor.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

It is on the floor, is my understanding.
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: Sen. Bill Hagerty claims Democrats allowing senators to dress more casually is part of the plot to "transform America"
raison de arizona

She's on a mission.
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: Sen. Markwayne Mullin claims Fetterman is being "completely disrespectful" by not wearing a suit
raison de arizona

Anarchy Princess chimes in on Fetterman's dress. Using a quote from Fetterman.
1776 Restoration Movement: The Mockumentary @1776mocumentary wrote: AP's latest sign. It's a quote of what John Fetterman said to Matt Gaetz.
raison de arizona

DeSantis has thoughts.
Washington Examiner @dcexaminer wrote: Florida Gov. and GOP Presidential candidate @RonDeSantis says getting rid of the dress code for U.S. Senators is wrong.
"We need to be lifting up our standards in this country."

DETAILS: https://trib.al/zvu05Bd
raison de arizona

Senator John Fetterman @SenFettermanPA wrote: I figure if I take up vaping and grabbing the hog during a live musical, they'll make me a folk hero.
Fox News @FoxNews wrote: DRESS TO IMPRESS?: People are furious after the Senate dropped its dress code requirement — and they’re saying there is only one lawmaker to blame. Why the bar is being “lowered”: https://trib.al/9IAJt5G
raison de arizona

Personally, I'm against the dress code change, but I find it difficult to get worked up about it. At all.
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/ ... 71126?s=20
southpaw @nycsouthpaw wrote: It was the impeccably dressed Senator Manchin who insisted on doubling the rate of child poverty nationwide.
Sarah Ewall-Wice @EwallWice wrote: It’s telling when some ppl here in DC are more upset about the Senate dress code than say the threat of a govt shutdown or child poverty more than doubling in the US with the end of CTC payments…
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Fetterman, in shirt and shorts, declines to walk on the Senate floor to vote.

“I just don’t want the world to burn down,” he deadpans when asked why he didn’t go in.

“The Republicans think I’m going to burst in through the doors and start break dancing on the floor.”
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Fetterman's sense of humor will take some getting used to in DC. I've been exposed since he made news here first when he as mayor or Braddock, more than ten years ago.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

https://twitter.com/SenFettermanPA/stat ... 22038?s=20
Senator John Fetterman @SenFettermanPA wrote: If those jagoffs in the House stop trying to shut our government down, and fully support Ukraine, then I will save democracy by wearing a suit on the Senate floor next week.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Pir8te Queen 🌻
@pir8tequeen
·
19m
Please let it be a tan suit! *giggle cackle snort 🤣
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:32 pm https://twitter.com/SenFettermanPA/stat ... 22038?s=20
Senator John Fetterman @SenFettermanPA wrote: If those jagoffs in the House stop trying to shut our government down, and fully support Ukraine, then I will save democracy by wearing a suit on the Senate floor next week.
Jagoff = true Pittsburghese insult, roughly translating to jerk.
raison de arizona

Wendy Rogers @WendyRogersAZ wrote: A pure mockery of 250 years of blood and treasure spilled for this country.
Citizen Free Press @CitizenFreePres wrote: John Fetterman, in a hoodie and shorts, is presiding over the US Senate today.
Stephen Miller @StephenM wrote: Fetterman thinks it’s a joke that he has disgraced a noble institution and sent a message to every young American that there is no need in life for self-respect, decorum or dignity. He makes a mockery of this nation and its people.
John Fetterman @JohnFetterman wrote: We can all agree: Nobody should take fashion advice from me.

But in case you want to, new merch dropping soon👀
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Really. Blood and treasure. Treasure? Huh?
raison de arizona

Alright, who spilt the treasure?
somerset

Post by somerset »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:45 pm Really. Blood and treasure. Treasure? Huh?
I think it was Bush the Junior who first started using this term (at least in recent times). I remember thinking, "Huh? Who is he trying to connect with by using that archaic term?"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

somerset wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:28 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:45 pm Really. Blood and treasure. Treasure? Huh?
I think it was Bush the Junior who first started using this term (at least in recent times). I remember thinking, "Huh? Who is he trying to connect with by using that archaic term?"
Sovcits?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

somerset wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:28 pm
PIRATES!!! :pirate:

Isn’t it speak like a pirate day?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:42 pm
Stephen Miller @StephenM wrote: Fetterman thinks it’s a joke that he has disgraced a noble institution and sent a message to every young American that there is no need in life for self-respect, decorum or dignity. He makes a mockery of this nation and its people.
Fetterman could post a pic of MTG and Boob catcalling at the SOU
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:13 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:42 pm
Fetterman could post a pic of MTG and Boob catcalling at the SOU
Or, guy with spray-on hair says what?

Return to “Current Politics”