Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Peru

Dr. Ken

Peru

Post by Dr. Ken »

I really thought we had a thread on peru... but then I realize yes we did on the old board
https://formerly.thefogbow.com/forum/vi ... u#p1253227

So a lot has happened in the last month or so in Peru. Peru has a history of corruption going back to the Fujimori days. I keep track of the country as I have some peruvian friends and my ex was peruvian. The country can't seem to catch a break. So the former President Pedro Castillo was sworn into office last July. Issues arose from him appointing 4 different governments in 6 months. In his first year and a half there were 3 impeachment attempts against him. Because of this Castillo tried to have congress dissolved, form a new government and have a new constitution established. Congress in turn called his actions illegal and were able to finally impeach him and remove him from office. Congress had moved quickly and he was removed from office within a day (crazy how they can move so fast). He also was arrested and charged with treason. His VP was sworn in as President. Since that time Peru has instituted a national curfew for the next 30 days and are limiting movement of all civilians. Congress also wants to have new elections and get rid of the current President whow as Castillo's VP. The whole thing is a royal mess. Lots of protests have turned violent thus far.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
AndyinPA
Verified:

Peru

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... u-protests
Scores of tourists in Peru are trapped in and around the Inca citadel of Machu Picchu after political protesters blocked trains that run to the Andes city of Cusco from the site.

Travelers, including some Americans, were trapped after train tracks were blocked with rocks, according to eyewitness accounts. “The government of Peru is organizing an evacuation via four helicopters of the most vulnerable foreign tourists from Aguas Calientes/Machu Picchu village,” the US embassy in Lima said on Saturday.

The action represents an escalation in a political conflict that has paralysed the country’s capital, Lima, after the ousting and detention of the country’s president, Pedro Castillo.

All trains to and from Machu Picchu had been halted last Tuesday. A day later, the country’s government declared a 30-day national emergency after protests began following an effort by the president to dissolve the Peruvian parliament.
Other than walking the Inca Trail, trains are the only way in and out of the area for tourists and goods.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Peru

Post by AndyinPA »

Again. But worse.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-64360531
Peru has closed its famous tourist site Machu Picchu indefinitely over the ongoing protests against the country's president.

The government said it closed the site, and the Inca trail hike leading up to it, to protect tourists and citizens.

Hundreds of people, mostly foreigners, are currently stranded at the foot of the 15th Century Inca citadel.

Dozens of people have been killed in weeks of violent protests, which began when Peru's previous leader was ousted.

Rail services to Machu Picchu were suspended on Thursday, after train tracks were damaged by protesters.

There are 417 tourists currently stuck at the site, unable to get out because of that damage, tourism minister Luis Fernando Helguero said at a news conference on Saturday. More than 300 of them are foreigners, he added.

They are not the first visitors to be stranded at Machu Picchu because of civil unrest - last month, hundreds of tourists were airlifted out after being stuck there for several days.

Sitting high on a mountain in the Andes, Machu Picchu is considered one of the new seven wonders of the world. It is hugely popular with tourists, with around a million people visiting every year.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Peru

Post by northland10 »

I had come across a DC Federal Court case brought by former Peruvian President Alejandro Toledo (2001-2006) and started to post it here but decided it was better suited for the General Law and Lawsuits thread.

https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 30#p183330
101010 :towel:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Peru

Post by Reality Check »

I am damn glad we did our trip to Peru and Machu Picchu in 2015. They are great people. I feel for them.
Dr. Ken

Peru

Post by Dr. Ken »

Reality Check wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:51 pm I am damn glad we did our trip to Peru and Machu Picchu in 2015. They are great people. I feel for them.
Well they're good minus a few. I feel bad for their country they can't seem to have a stable government
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Peru

Post by Reality Check »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:28 pm :snippity:
Well they're good minus a few. I feel bad for their country they can't seem to have a stable government
Our guide was a history professor so he was able to tell us all about the turmoil they had experienced over the last 40 years or so.
Dr. Ken

Peru

Post by Dr. Ken »

Reality Check wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:26 am
Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:28 pm :snippity:
Our guide was a history professor so he was able to tell us all about the turmoil they had experienced over the last 40 years or so.
Yeah my ex used to tell me about the whole history with the fujimoris and the corruption ever since. They can't seem to catch a break.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”