School related violence

Post by Greatgrey »

F82B8937-08CD-40A9-BF71-5AF24E66070F.jpeg
F82B8937-08CD-40A9-BF71-5AF24E66070F.jpeg (49.39 KiB) Viewed 960 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Dave from down under

School related violence

Post by Dave from down under »

bill_g wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:47 pm Dear Marge - How many past shootings were done by trans people, and how many were done by CIS males? Could you speculate on whether testosterone in general is a contributing factor in all these shootings? Please be specific.
Marge has a truck load of guns..

At some stage I fully expect her to try to use them..
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

School related violence

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:21 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:49 pm So much for fox's doors nonsense
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1640464 ... 53058?s=20
Clearly the answer is bulletproof doors.
No side doors at all. What are people thinking? Brick up the windows too.

Dust off the plans for Titan Missle silos and move the schools underground.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

School related violence

keith wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:34 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:21 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:49 pm So much for fox's doors nonsense
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1640464 ... 53058?s=20
Clearly the answer is bulletproof doors.
No side doors at all. What are people thinking? Brick up the windows too.

Dust off the plans for Titan Missle silos and move the schools underground.
They also need to be life long institutions - because entry or exit would allow them to be targeted.
Azastan
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Azastan »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:16 pm
Kendra wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:11 pm Just waiting for them to twist the shooter's trans identity into all trans people are bad shooters.
Yes, it's true. They have found the cause, and it ain't the guns.
Oh! Oh!

So...the answer is to regulate those with testosterone? I kinda have to agree that regulating testosterone laden individuals would probably cut down on mass shootings in the United States
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Kriselda Gray »

From what I saw on Nicole Wallace today, with a more recent note from CNN:

Shooter was a 28-year-old former student of the school. She had an AK-style rifle, AK-style pistol and a handgun. She had plans and schematics of the school and left a manifesto. Apparently, she had also looked into second location to attack, but apparently decided it was too secure. According to CNN:
Police have referred to Hale as the "female shooter" and at an evening press conference added that Hale was transgender. When asked for clarification, a spokesperson told CNN Hale used "male pronouns" on a social media profile.
. https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/27/us/coven ... index.html

Victims were 3 faculty members - one was the head of the school, the 2nd a janitor and the third a substitute teacher - and 3 students who are most often referred to as all being nine, but during the press conference shown during Nicole's show, one of the officials said one kid was still 8, though almost nine.

It wasn't a "good guy with a gun" in the normal sense of an armed civilian, but 5 on-duty cops who stopped the shooter. The police officer at the press conference pointed out a few times that these guys didn't hesitate to enter the building and were able to stop the shooter very quickly once they got there.
Dave from down under

School related violence

AK-style rifle, AK-style pistol and a handgun

in NSW the first 2 are completely illegal and the third is strictly licensed (not as strictly as I would like) - 1981 was the last school shooting in NSW.
(The most recent school shooting in Australia was at Modbury High School in Adelaide, South Australia, on May 7, 2012, which resulted in no deaths and no injuries.)
Kendra

School related violence

Post by Kendra »

Per my teammate
@elliskkim
- Rep Andy Ogles (R-TN), who represents Nashville-area, was asked if he regrets posting holiday photo of family posing with guns.

Ogles responded: “Why would I regret a photograph with my family exercising my rights to bear arms?”
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

School related violence

Post by raison de arizona »

Why indeed? It's never about the guns.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

School related violence

Post by Suranis »

Honestly, the Trans angle is probably the only reason this is getting national airplay. There so much competition in the American mass shooting market these days that you really have to have a new angle to get famous via mass shooting.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

School related violence

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Crossposted from Gun Control thread -

:yeahthat:

Amen!
raison de arizona

School related violence

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:44 pm Crossposted from Gun Control thread -

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1 ... 3524073474

:yeahthat:

Amen!
Video:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

School related violence

Post by Gregg »

Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:55 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:27 pm Just convert the jails* into schools and employ armed guards to watch that the other armed guards don't go all 2A on the students and/or other guards.
Then have a SWAT Ready Reaction Force on standby just in case.

*build more private for profit slave labour camps for the inmates displaced..

The GOP solution <s/>
Just waiting for them to say homeschooling is the solution.

Done...

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kendra

School related violence

Post by Kendra »

“We’re not gonna fix it. Criminals are going to be criminals.”

- Rep. Tim Burchett, revealing what Republicans really believe about school shootings.
Jim

School related violence

Post by Jim »

Republicans have spent the last 10 years arming every crazy in the country with weapons of mass killings and they can't fix the problem they created? If I was a dem running for office that would be a part of every advertisement I put out. Who do you think will do more to protect your kids BEFORE the shooter armed to the teeth arrives at their schools and shoot YOUR kids?
Gregg

School related violence

Post by Gregg »

Jim wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:30 pm Republicans have spent the last 10 years arming every crazy in the country with weapons of mass killings and they can't fix the problem they created? If I was a dem running for office that would be a part of every advertisement I put out. Who do you think will do more to protect your kids BEFORE the shooter armed to the teeth arrives at their schools and shoot YOUR kids?
Brick up all the side doors? :confuzzled:

Jim

School related violence

Post by Jim »

Gregg wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:48 pm
Jim wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:30 pm Republicans have spent the last 10 years arming every crazy in the country with weapons of mass killings and they can't fix the problem they created? If I was a dem running for office that would be a part of every advertisement I put out. Who do you think will do more to protect your kids BEFORE the shooter armed to the teeth arrives at their schools and shoot YOUR kids?
That would make fire drills really interesting..."here kids, use these sledge hammers to break down the wall so we can complete our drill"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

School related violence

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

These Republicans likely have hunting licenses in states which regulate which type of weapon cannot be used for deer, rabbit, etc. There are likely limitations on baited hunting sites too. They should be challenged about giving wildlife a "fighting chance", but not children who are hunted in baited sites. Their inaction authorizes hunting children with assault type rifles.

This is a metaphor which has been rolling around in my headbone. Feel free to refine it, correct it, or ignore it.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dave from down under

School related violence

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-29/ ... /102157612

The shooter who killed three children and three adults at a Christian school in Nashville legally bought seven firearms in recent years and hid the guns from their parents before the attack, police have said.

:snippity:

The suspect — Audrey Hale, 28 — was a former student at the school. Police said the shooter did not target specific victims.

Authorities said Hale was not on their radar before the attack but was under a doctor's care for an undisclosed emotional disorder.

Police have released videos of the shooting, including edited surveillance footage that shows the shooter's car driving up to the school, glass doors being shot out and the shooter ducking through one of them.

:snippity:

Authorities said Hale was armed with two "assault-style" weapons, as well as a handgun.

At least two of them were believed to have been obtained legally in the Nashville area, according to the police chief.

Police said a search of Hale's home turned up a sawn-off shotgun, a second shotgun and other unspecified evidence.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

Jim wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:57 pm
Gregg wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:48 pm
That would make fire drills really interesting..."here kids, use these sledge hammers to break down the wall so we can complete our drill"
Well, one could use small explosive charges connected to the emergency exit door bar (on the inside it would have to look like one) to open a passage. Makes for an interesting scenario when kids try so slink away from classes and passage ways blow up.

I guess one change that will need to be made is to have ground level windows made from bank grade security glass that cannot be shot out easily. If an intruder tries hard enough they may get thru but it will be loud and there ought to be time to raise alarms. Also too fit out windows with alarms for shattering windows. In tornado alley those will raise a whole other problem.
Gregg

School related violence

Post by Gregg »

Make schools entirely of stainless steel. Nothing to burn, no more fire drills! :thumbsup:

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

School related violence

Post by RTH10260 »

Gregg wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:58 am Make schools entirely of stainless steel. Nothing to burn, no more fire drills! :thumbsup:
Will act like a Faraday cage. So no more distracted students on Tik-edy-Tok. Do more Whatsapping. Facebook friends unfriending cause they never get replies back. AT&T will install the last of their phone booths taken from the technology graveyards. Quarters again used for phone calls and not the drug dealer. The school mental health employees flooded with help requests by kids overwhelmed with the ancient art of turning a dial wheel.

:twisted:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

School related violence

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:42 pm Honestly, the Trans angle is probably the only reason this is getting national airplay. There so much competition in the American mass shooting market these days that you really have to have a new angle to get famous via mass shooting.
It was getting national airplay *before* the "trans angle" was known.
Sam the Centipede

School related violence

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Just for reference, from a website called World Population Review:
19 Countries with the Most School Shootings (total incidents Jan 2009-May 2018 - CNN):
United States — 288
Mexico — 8
South Africa — 6
Nigeria & Pakistan — 4
Afghanistan — 3
Brazil, Canada, France — 2
Azerbaijan, China, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Kenya, Russia, & Turkey — 1
Or, summing the numbers, in those 9 years:
United States — 288
Every other country on the planet — 40

That's incidents, not fatalities. Shootings in far away places that never made it into international media might have been missed in the count. But even so, the the difference is striking.

If only other countries could learn from the USA how to make their schools safer!
raison de arizona

School related violence

:think: if only we could figure out what they are doing differently...

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”