Alex Jones - Alexander Emerick Jones "I’m so sick of fu*king Tr*mp*"

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

noblepa wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:31 am The lawsuit by the families, against Jones, is, of course, a civil matter.

However, if it is proven that he has fraudulently transferred large sums of money to friends and family, in an effort to avoid paying the judgement, can he not be charged with a crime, and face the risk of prison time?

Is it not also a felony to lie to a bankruptcy court and to hide assets from the court?
Too. Also, any large sums of money he transferred would be taxable. I hope the IRS is giving him a colonoscopy as well.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Slarti the White wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:51 pm
noblepa wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:31 am The lawsuit by the families, against Jones, is, of course, a civil matter.

However, if it is proven that he has fraudulently transferred large sums of money to friends and family, in an effort to avoid paying the judgement, can he not be charged with a crime, and face the risk of prison time?

Is it not also a felony to lie to a bankruptcy court and to hide assets from the court?
Too. Also, any large sums of money he transferred would be taxable. I hope the IRS is giving him a colonoscopy as well.
Slarti, to quote our esteemed Bob, "That depends."

We don't know the sources of these alleged funds that have allegedly been transferred. It is possible that the funds have been taxed in one way or another. For example, maybe these funds came from a flow-through entity that distributed out distributions or dividends to the partners or shareholders. In that case, the income flows to the owners' personal returns and any cash received is just a return on their equity ownership. (There are weird exceptions that would be beyond the scope of my simple explanation.)

Or maybe they could be considered gifts. The donor would have to file a gift tax return and pay any gift taxes on these putative gifts. But the exclusion is over $11 million per donee before actual gift taxes would be owed.

Third, the way Jones has structured his entities, he might (emphasis on might) be able to say that these payments were for product or other business expenses and the recipient of these funds might have expenses, yada yada yada to offset any potential income.

A person as shrewd, mendacious, larcenous, and evil like Jones probably has given these things a lot of thought over the years in case he ever got caught with the family jewels in the wringer. It is also possible that the money is overseas in some tax haven.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

humblescribe wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:35 pmIt is also possible that the money is overseas in some tax haven.
If a court found that the money was transferred fraudulently, I assume that the recipient could be ordered to return the money, so that the bankruptcy court had access to it.

If the money had been transferred to some overseas tax haven where the court could not order the holder to return it, could the court not tell the recipient that they must repay the money from their other assets, like their home or business? In essence, saying "you fraudulently received $1,000,000 from Jones. Pay us $1,000,000. We don't care where you get it."
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

It is a crime in California to convey property fraudulently to avoid paying creditors. It is a wobbler that can be charged either as a misdemeanor or felony. But the punishment (from what I could gather online) is rather tame even for a felony.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

H/T to Flatpoint High in Threadjack
Alex Jones Cash Moves ‘Self-Dealing,’ Bankruptcy Trustee Says

James Nani
April 4, 2023, 7:03 PM; Updated: April 4, 2023, 8:21 PM

Right-wing radio host Alex Jones helped remove profits from his bankrupt Infowars parent company via a separate business he partially controlled, a bankruptcy trustee has found.

Additionally, about $54 million of purportedly secured debt Infowars parent Free Speech Systems LLC owes to Jones-affiliated PQPR Holdings Limited LLC isn’t legitimate and shouldn’t be first in line to be paid back under a bankruptcy plan, according to an initial report released Tuesday from Subchapter V trustee Melissa Haselden.

The report comes after months of bankruptcy proceedings in which families of the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims have looked to collect on $1.4 billion in defamation judgments against Jones and Free Speech Systems.

The PQPR debt isn’t legitimate due to a “lack of corporate formalities, comingling of assets,” and dealings between PQPR and Free Speech Systems, including Jones’ father making decisions about which Free Speech Systems creditors were paid, the report said. Haselden said Jones had engaged in “self-dealing transactions.”

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/bankruptc ... port-finds
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

worth a carry-over
p0rtia wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:33 pm Lest we forget (Boehm is Lake's lawyer in the above action)....
Alex Jones lawyer suspended 6 months over records release
By Dave Collins
Published 5:35 PM EDT, January 6, 2023

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A lawyer for conspiracy theorist Alex Jones has been suspended from practicing law in Connecticut for six months for improperly giving Jones’ other attorneys in Texas confidential documents, including the medical records of relatives of victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
https://apnews.com/article/legal-procee ... 181632be6d
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

In a very pleasant turn of events, the Liar Of Liars can't use the bankruptcy court to avoid paying out at least two thirds of his $1.5 billion dollar verdict:

NEW YORK, Oct 19 (Reuters) - Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones cannot use his personal bankruptcy to escape paying at least $1.1 billion in defamation damages stemming from his repeated lies about the 2012 Sandy Hook elementary school massacre, a U.S. bankruptcy judge ruled Thursday.

Bankruptcy can be used to wipe out debts and legal judgments, but not if they result from "willful or malicious injury" caused by the debtor, according to a decision by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Christopher Lopez in Houston, Texas.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/alex-jone ... 023-10-19/
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Adolf wept.
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

When are they going to start taking every dime owed from this fucker?
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Resume18 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:17 pm When are they going to start taking every dime owed from this fucker?
We'll, it's taken 11 years to get here, my guess some time in 2034.

:cantlook: :oopsy: :oopsy:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... dge-ruling
A Texas judge has ruled that the Infowars host, Alex Jones, cannot use bankruptcy protection to avoid paying nearly $1.5bn to families who sued over his conspiracy theories that the 2012 Sandy Hook school massacre was a hoax.

The decision is another significant defeat for Jones in the wake of juries in Texas and Connecticut punishing him over spreading falsehoods about the nation’s deadliest school shooting. US district judge Christopher Lopez of Houston issued the ruling on Thursday.

Jones filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection last year and more recent financial documents submitted by his attorneys put his personal net worth around $14m. But Lopez ruled that those protections do not apply over findings of “willful and malicious” conduct.

“The families are pleased with the court’s ruling that Jones’s malicious conduct will find no safe harbor in the bankruptcy court,” said Christopher Mattei, a Connecticut lawyer for the families. “As a result, Jones will continue to be accountable for his actions into the future regardless of his claimed bankruptcy.”

An attorney for Jones did not immediately return a message seeking comment on Friday.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I hope there aren't more hurdles after this ruling. Let's get this guy off the air and broke.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
realist

Post by realist »

But wait!! There’s more!!!
Sandy Hook families who won a $1.5 billion settlement from Alex Jones offer to settle for $85 million
https://apple.news/ARK3NMmWpQbKR0OXp6EtVRA
Image X 4
Image X 32
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tucker Carlson interviews Alex Jones. For an hour and a half. Not sure I can take it. Any of it. But anyway, here it is:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

1:07:51 Food
1:13:51 Whiskey
Scumbag should be rationed bread and water until he pays his debts.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
raison de arizona

:lol: Jones' rants reimagined as an indie folk song. The softer side of crazy.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Alex Jones proposes paying Sandy Hook families a minimum of $55 million to settle lawsuit claims

By Andy Rose, CNN
Updated 5:13 PM EST, Sat December 16, 2023

Right-wing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones, who filed for personal bankruptcy a year ago after being ordered to pay more than a billion dollars to the families of Sandy Hook school shooting victims for defamation, is asking the families to accept a small fraction of what they are owed.

In a Texas bankruptcy court filing Friday, Jones proposed that Sandy Hook families be allowed to accept a settlement guaranteeing them at least $5.5 million a year for 10 years, with the possibility of more depending on Jones’ income. The families that settle would also receive 70% of the money Jones raises by selling personal property not exempt from bankruptcy law. In exchange, they would give up all legal claims against Jones or any related party.

Jones filed for personal bankruptcy in December 2022 after he was ordered to pay the damages when he lost two civil cases over his false claims about the elementary school massacre. His company Free Speech Systems, which operates his Infowars website, filed for bankruptcy last July.

Jones filed for personal bankruptcy in December 2022 after he was ordered to pay the damages when he lost two civil cases over his false claims about the elementary school massacre. His company Free Speech Systems, which operates his Infowars website, filed for bankruptcy last July.

“This bankruptcy plan is the first time Jones has shared how he will be held accountable for the harm he caused the families,” said Jarrod B. Martin, an attorney for some of the Sandy Hook families.

“Our team is carefully examining that plan and will share our views of it in due time,” Martin told CNN via email.

CNN reached out to attorneys for Jones on Saturday for comment. The court had set a Friday deadline for all sides to propose a plan to settle Jones’ debts.

Friday’s filing came one day after the 11th anniversary of the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, that killed 20 first-graders and six adults.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/16/us/alex- ... index.html
raison de arizona

Jones appears to be in fine form.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Actually I'm almost 69, fat and have shorter hair, and I still look better
age well.png
age well.png (270.62 KiB) Viewed 386 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

And, having met you, you have a much nicer voice, and are pleasant to listen to.
Hic sunt dracones
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Suranis wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:58 am And, having met you, you have a much nicer voice, and are pleasant to listen to.
:yeahthat:

And you have things to say that are interesting and insightful rather than annoying and hateful.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

Alex Jones Estate Liquidation Gets Sandy Hook Families’ Vote
  • Jones’ creditors overwhelmingly support liquidation plan
  • Families asked to vote on competing bankruptcy proposals
The families of Sandy Hook school shooting victims voted overwhelmingly in favor of a plan to wrap up Alex Jones’ bankruptcy proceedings by liquidating the right wing talk show host’s assets.

Jones’ general unsecured creditors—comprised mostly of Sandy Hook families holding about $1.5 billion in defamation judgments against the famed conspiracy theorist—voted 100% in favor of a Chapter 11 plan that would methodically liquidate and redistribute his property and cash, while preserving potential legal actions against parties affiliated with Jones and his Infowars program.

An official committee appointed to represent Jones’ unsecured creditors notified the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas on Feb. 16 that of 23 liquidation plan ballots distributed to creditors, it received 21 back—all supporting the committee’s liquidation proposal.

The vote indicates the creditors’ preference over a competing plan submitted by Jones that would allow him to reorganize by preserving parts of his media empire and paying the group at least $5.5 million a year over 10 years. His plan would provide additional creditor recoveries out of disposable income from Jones’ bankrupt Infowars parent company, portions of Jones’ personal income, and the proceeds from selling various personal assets.

No ballot tabulation for Jones’ plan has been submitted to the court yet.

The parties are scheduled to hold plan approval hearing in late March.

Jones filed for Chapter 11 protection in December 2022, after being hit with state court judgments for repeatedly calling the 2012 massacre of elementary school students and teachers a hoax. Bankruptcy Judge Christopher Lopez ruled last year that Jones can’t discharge the defamation awards because those debts stemmed from intentional and malicious conduct.

Jones is represented by Crowe & Dunlevy PC and Jordan & Ortiz PC.

The creditors’ committee is represented by Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP.

The case is In re Alexander E. Jones, Bankr. S.D. Tex., No. 22-33553, notice filed 2/16/24.
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/bankruptc ... upt-estate
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

behind paywall
Atty For Alex Jones' Infowars Asks Court's Permission To Quit

By Leslie A. Pappas ·
March 4, 2024, 9:26 PM EST

The head lawyer for conspiracy theorist Alex Jones' Infowars radio show production company has urged a Texas bankruptcy judge to let him quit his work on the Chapter 11 case, saying...

https://www.law360.com/pulse/small-law/ ... on-to-quit

Return to “Other weirdos”