Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Facebook

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Facebook

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Facebook

Post by RTH10260 »

Instagram told to reinstate music video removed at request of Met police
Oversight board says removal of Secrets Not Safe by Chinx (OS) suggests ‘over-policing of certain communities’

Alex Hern
Tue 22 Nov 2022 13.00 GMT

Meta’s oversight board, the quasi-independent “supreme court” of Facebook and Instagram, has forced the company to reinstate a clip of drill music originally removed from Instagram at the request of the Metropolitan police.

The clip, a short excerpt of the song Secrets Not Safe by Chinx (OS), was removed after the Met flagged the track to Meta, arguing that it could lead to “retaliatory violence” in the context of the London gang scene.

The force told Meta it contained a “veiled threat”, referencing a shooting in 2017, and as a result the company manually removed 52 posts containing the track and automated systems removed it a further 112 times.

Now, the oversight board says those removals were a mistake. The track does not break Facebook or Instagram’s rules, it argues, and basic principles of free speech, equality and transparency were breached in allowing a police operation to censor a musician in secret.

“While law enforcement can sometimes provide context and expertise, not every piece of content that law enforcement would prefer to have taken down should be taken down,” the board said in its ruling.

“It is therefore critical that Meta evaluates these requests independently, particularly when they relate to artistic expression from individuals in minority or marginalised groups for whom the risk of cultural bias against their content is acute.”

As part of its investigation into the removal of the track, the oversight board filed multiple freedom of information requests with the Met police, finding that the force had filed 286 requests to take down or review posts about drill music in the 12 months from June 2021, and that 255 of those had resulted in the removal of content.

Over the same period, it had not made a single request to remove any other music genre, the force said. “This intensive focus on one music genre among many that include reference to violence raises serious concerns of potential over-policing of certain communities,” the board argued.

The board also asked the Met how it ensured that free speech rights were protected, and what its specific policies were about flagging content to social networks. The force said it was unable to answer, with decisions made on a case-by-case basis.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... met-police
humblescribe
Verified:

Facebook

Post by humblescribe »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:39 pm Tax filing websites have been sending users’ financial information to Facebook
Major tax filing services such as H&R Block, TaxAct, and TaxSlayer have been quietly transmitting sensitive financial information to Facebook when Americans file their taxes online, The Markup has learned.

The data, sent through widely used code called the Meta Pixel, includes not only information like names and email addresses but often even more detailed information, including data on users’ income, filing status, refund amounts, and dependents’ college scholarship amounts. 

The information sent to Facebook can be used by the company to power its advertising algorithms and is gathered regardless of whether the person using the tax filing service has an account on Facebook or other platforms operated by its owner Meta. 
:snippity:
When users sign up to file their taxes with the popular service TaxAct, for example, they’re asked to provide personal information to calculate their returns, including how much money they make and their investments. A pixel on TaxAct’s website then sent some of that data to Facebook, including users’ filing status, their adjusted gross income, and the amount of their refund, according to a review by The Markup. Income was rounded to the nearest thousand and refunds to the nearest hundred. The pixel also sent the names of dependents in an obfuscated — but generally reversible — format.
Even Intuit, the company that runs America’s dominant online filing software, employed the pixel. Intuit’s TurboTax, however, did not send financial information to Meta but, rather, usernames and the last time a device signed in. The company kept the pixel entirely off pages beyond sign-in.
This is just . . . .insidious. Do these purveyors even disclose to the user that they are doing this and then provide an opt out? I swear, once I no longer have access to professional software, I will file on paper. It'll take me a full day, but better that than putting up with Fuckerberg and his evil empire.

Besides, it will give me something to do to while away my sunset years......
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Facebook

Post by Slim Cognito »

Granted, our returns aren't that complicated but I've always filed on paper. Unless you're getting a bunch back and need it right away, what's the rush?

But this year, for '21, I decided to go the e-route. Everything went well until I got to our schedule E for Hub's farmland in OK that he leased. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the numbers to add correctly. I'm sure it was operator error but I finally gave up, printed everything out and mailed it. I always went priority with signature.

I think I'll stick with paper.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Facebook

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I use TurboTax, so it's not such a big deal. However, I will make sure I am logged out of Facebook in all my browsers before I efile my return.
RTH10260

Facebook

Post by RTH10260 »

Meta dealt blow by EU ruling that could result in data use ‘opt-in’
Irish regulator fines Facebook owner €390m after EU rejects argument for use of data to drive personalised ads

Dan Milmo Global technology editor
Wed 4 Jan 2023 18.16 GMT

The business model of Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta empire has been dealt a blow following a ruling that its legal justification for targeting users with personalised ads broke EU data laws.

Campaigners said the move could force the Facebook and Instagram owner to ask users to “opt in” to having their data used for targeted ads.

Ireland’s Data Protection Commission (DPC) has fined Meta a total of €390m (£343m), after the EU’s data authority rejected the company’s argument that users agree to receive ads based on their personal data when they enter into a “contract” with its social media platforms via the terms and conditions they sign.

A core part of the Facebook and Instagram business model is compiling profiles of users from their online activity, which enables advertisers to target people based on details such as their hobbies, consumer behaviour and location.

The DPC had initially backed Meta’s legal argument that the “contract” approach did not breach the EU’s general data protection regulation (GDPR), but it said on Wednesday it had to follow the binding recommendations of the bloc’s European Data Protection Board, which is comprised of all EU privacy regulators.

However, the DPC, which has regulatory power over Meta because the company’s EU base is in Dublin, added that it was seeking a court ruling against a further EDPB demand that it investigate all of Facebook and Instagram’s data processing operations.

The privacy campaign group Noyb, which triggered the decision after lodging complaints against Meta, said the outcome was a “huge” financial blow to the company, which relied on advertising for 98% of its $118bn (£98bn) turnover in 2021. Max Schrems, the honorary chair of Noyb, said Facebook and Instagram users in the EU would now need to be asked whether they wanted their data to be used for ads.

“This is a huge blow to Meta’s profits in the EU,” he said. “People now need to be asked if they want their data to be used for ads or not. They must have a ‘yes or no’ option and can change their mind at any time. The decision also ensures a level playing field with other advertisers that also need to get opt-in consent.”

The DPC has given Meta three months to bring its data processing operations into compliance with the decision, which imposed a fine of €210m for the Facebook GDPR breach and €180m for Instagram. It did not give details of how Meta should comply with the decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... tagram-ads
Phoenix520
Verified:

Facebook

Post by Phoenix520 »

In general, why are we so far behind the EU on privacy issues? I don’t have a good handle on this. Is it, like seemingly everything else, the right pushing unfettered capitalism with no regard?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Facebook

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:47 am In general, why are we so far behind the EU on privacy issues? I don’t have a good handle on this. Is it, like seemingly everything else, the right pushing unfettered capitalism with no regard?
Pretty much. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Facebook

Post by raison de arizona »

Exclusive: Facebook to reinstate Trump

Meta will reinstate former President Trump's Facebook and Instagram accounts "in coming weeks" following a two-year suspension, according to Nick Clegg, the company's president, global affairs.
https://www.axios.com/2023/01/25/trump- ... cial-media
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Facebook

Post by RTH10260 »

A federal judge accused Facebook of 'gaslighting' users impacted by data breaches and fined the site and its lawyers nearly $1 million

Katherine Tangalakis-Lippert
Feb 11, 2023, 6:39 AM
  • Facebook and its lawyers have been fined $925,078 as part of an ongoing class action lawsuit.
    The site shared user data with businesses including the consulting firm Cambridge Analytica.
    A judge said in a ruling that Facebook spent years "trying to gaslight" the court about its conduct.
While Facebook's parent company, Meta, agreed in December to pay $725 million to settle the Cambridge Analytica privacy lawsuit, a judge on Thursday decided that wasn't quite enough to ensure the social media giant had learned its lesson for sharing user data without permission.

US District Court Judge Vince Chhabria ordered Facebook and its lawyers from the high-profile firm Gibson Dunn to pay an additional $925,078.51 to the class action plaintiffs for "trying to gaslight" their users and the court about its conduct.

Facebook and its lawyers, according to the judge, conducted "a sustained, concerted, bad-faith effort to throw obstacle after obstacle in front of the plaintiffs — all in an attempt to push the plaintiffs into settling the case for less than they would have gotten otherwise."

"Unfortunately, this sort of conduct is not uncommon in our court system," the judge wrote. "But it was unusually egregious and persistent here."

The social media giant and its lawyers delayed proceedings and withheld evidence during depositions, Chhabria wrote, refusing to disclose what user data had been collected from individual claimants, despite sharing that data with third-party businesses without their consent.

"All the while, Facebook and Gibson Dunn had the audacity to accuse the plaintiffs' lawyers of delaying the case, and to assert that the plaintiffs' reasonable efforts to obtain obviously relevant discovery were frivolous," the judge's ruling added. "It's almost as if Facebook and Gibson Dunn spent the better part of three years trying to gaslight their opponents, not to mention the Court."

The class-action lawsuit was originally filed in 2018 after it was revealed Facebook had exposed the data of 87 million users to third-party businesses, including the political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica.

https://www.businessinsider.com/federal ... ion-2023-2
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Facebook

Post by neonzx »

Looks like Zuckerberg is getting jealous of Musk.

Meta (Facebook) to test out monthly paid verification subscription service

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/19/meta-v ... on-service
Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, announced on Sunday that it will be testing out a monthly subscription service that allows users to verify their accounts.

Why it matters: The move is aimed at "increasing authenticity and security across our services," Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg wrote in a Facebook post announcing the news.

State of play: Called Meta Verified, the subscription service will be rolled out this week in Australia and New Zealand, with other countries soon to follow, Zuckerberg wrote.

It will allow users to verify their accounts using a government ID. In return, users will gain a verified blue badge, direct access to customer support and "extra impersonation protection against accounts claiming to be you," according to Zuckerberg.
Meta Verified will be priced at $11.99 a month for web users and $14.99 a month on iOS. :snippity:
Sorry for any of you still allowing your info and reading to be harvested by Mark. The tech billionaires are all scammers.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Facebook

Post by Phoenix520 »

I miss my Facebook friends but I won’t go there more than once a month. I’m not using Twitter every day either.

Halp Halp Im turning Luddite!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Facebook

Post by AndyinPA »

I've not been on it too much at all in the last eight months. I can't say I've really missed it. I have a very small group of friends, but what I miss most are the travel feeds, an eagles' nest and eggs, and some local photographers.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Facebook

Post by pipistrelle »

At some point, we'll all go back to reading and writing self-hosted blogs.
RTH10260

Facebook

Post by RTH10260 »

Zuckerberg’s Meta to lay off another 10,000 employees
Restructuring, as part of the company’s ‘Year of Efficiency’, also sees 5,000 unfulfilled job adverts closed

Alex Hern
Tue 14 Mar 2023 13.43 GMT

Mark Zuckerberg’s Meta is laying off another 10,000 people and instituting a further hiring freeze as part of the company’s “Year of Efficiency”, the chief executive announced in a Facebook post on Tuesday.

The restructuring, which also sees a further 5,000 unfilled job adverts closed without hiring, comes less than six months after the company announced another wave of 11,000 redundancies. At its peak in 2022, Meta had grown to 87,000 employees globally, with a substantial portion of that hiring occurring since the onset of the Covid pandemic.

“This will be tough and there’s no way around that,” Zuckerberg wrote in a blogpost. “Over the next couple of months, org leaders will announce restructuring plans focused on flattening our orgs, canceling lower priority projects, and reducing our hiring rates.”

Restructuring and layoffs in Meta’s tech groups are expected in late April and in business groups in late May.

The end goal of the restructure is “to improve organizational efficiency, dramatically increase developer productivity and tooling, optimize distributed work, garbage collect unnecessary processes, and more”, Zuckerberg said. He highlighted issues including managers with very few staff to oversee and projects he said do not justify the organizational overhead to support them.

“A leaner org will execute its highest priorities faster,” he added. “People will be more productive, and their work will be more fun and fulfilling. We will become an even greater magnet for the most talented people. That’s why in our Year of Efficiency, we are focused on canceling projects that are duplicative or lower priority and making every organization as lean as possible.”

‌Zuckerberg’s note also hinted at a reversal of the company’s moves to promote engineers working from anywhere they want. “Our early analysis of performance data suggests that engineers who either joined Meta in-person and then transferred to remote or remained in-person performed better on average than people who joined remotely,” he said. “Engineers earlier in their career perform better on average when they work in-person with teammates at least three days a week. I encourage all of you to find more opportunities to work with your colleagues in person.”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ing-freeze
RTH10260

Facebook

Post by RTH10260 »

Meta gives up on NFTs for Facebook and Instagram
/ Meta is moving on from more crypto projects, even though NFTs / digital collectibles were once pitched as part of its ‘metaverse’ future.

By JAY PETERS
Mar 13, 2023, 11:03 PM GMT+1

Meta is “winding down” its work with NFTs on Facebook and Instagram, Meta commerce and fintech lead Stephane Kasriel said in a Twitter thread on Monday. The decision means Meta will end its tests of minting and selling NFTs on Instagram as well as the ability to share NFTs on Instagram and Facebook in the coming weeks, Meta spokesperson Joshua Gunter confirmed in an email to The Verge.

“Across the company, we’re looking closely at what we prioritize to increase our focus,” Kasriel said. “We’re winding down digital collectibles (NFTs) for now to focus on other ways to support creators, people, and businesses.” Instead, the company is focusing on “areas where we can make impact at scale,” like messaging and monetization on Reels and on improving Meta Pay.

Some product news: across the company, we're looking closely at what we prioritize to increase our focus. We’re winding down digital collectibles (NFTs) for now to focus on other ways to support creators, people, and businesses. 🧵[1/5]
— Stephane Kasriel (@skasriel) March 13, 2023
The NFT integrations seem to be one casualty of CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s drive to make 2023 the “year of efficiency,” along with the Reels Play bonus program. But their end also follows the shutdowns of the Meta-backed cryptocurrency Diem and Meta’s Novi digital wallet last year.
Still, even as Meta exits NFTs, other companies are rushing into a market that collapsed in 2022 and shed billions in value after stratospheric levels of hype in early 2021. Reddit continues to promote its “digital collectible” avatars that are NFTs, Starbucks recently sold out a selection of 2,000 $100 NFTs in its Odyssey customer loyalty program, and Sesame Street just announced an NFT collaboration.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/13/2363 ... llectibles
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Facebook

Post by Foggy »

Every individual word posted on Fogbow is an NFT worth billions, and I am a gazillionaire.

Which is kind of a headache, really.

You ever try to get change for a gazillion dollar bill? :roll:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
humblescribe
Verified:

Facebook

Post by humblescribe »

Foggy wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:32 pm Every individual word posted on Fogbow is an NFT worth billions, and I am a gazillionaire.

You ever try to get change for a gazillion dollar bill? :roll:
Whose picture is on that bill? Izzit Trump's picture?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Chilidog

Facebook

Post by Chilidog »

Lot of porn spam leaking through.
RTH10260

Facebook

Post by RTH10260 »

A moment’s silence, please, for the death of Mark Zuckerberg’s metaverse
Meta sank tens of billions into its CEO’s virtual reality dream, but what will he do next?

John Naughton
Sat 13 May 2023 16.00 BST

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to remember the metaverse, which was quietly laid to rest a few weeks ago by its grieving adoptive parent, one Mark Zuckerberg. Those of you with long memories will remember how, in October 2021, Zuck (as he is known to his friends) excitedly announced the arrival of his new adoptee, to which he had playfully assigned the nickname “The Future”.

So delighted was he that he had even renamed his family home in her honour. Henceforth, what was formerly called “Facebook” would be known as “Meta”. In a presentation at the company’s annual conference, Zuckerberg announced the name change and detailed how his child would grow up to be a new version of cyberspace. She “will be the successor to the mobile internet”, he told a stunned audience of credulous hacks and cynical Wall Street analysts. “We’ll be able to feel present – like we’re right there with people no matter how far apart we actually are.” And no expense would be spared in ensuring that his child would fulfil her destiny.

On that last matter, at least, Zuck was as good as his word. He set out to hire 10,000 engineers in Europe alone and blow uncountable piles of money to ensure this vision would become a reality. Up to the end of last October, the project had soaked up $36bn (about £30bn), with little to show for it but an expensive video in which Zuck (who always manages to look like his virtual-reality avatar) talked about how good it was going to be – “the experiences you’re going to have, what the creative economy will build and the technology that needs to be invented”. Note that last phrase: what actually emerged was a virtual-reality platform called Horizon Worlds, accessible only via naff and clunky Oculus headsets (think an uncomfortable version of Zoom) and a virtual wasteland populated by textureless, featureless, legless avatars and landscapes that, as Forbes put it, “look like bad Roblox levels”.

Sadly, Zuck’s promising adoptee turned out to be a sickly, feeble child. And so, on or about 18 March, he quietly had her put down. For he had just discovered that a new candidate for the role of The Future had suddenly arrived, and he was chagrined to realise that while he had been nursing the weakling, he had not noticed the newcomer on the block. It went by the name “AI”, and now Meta was lagging behind in the race to get to this new Future.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... reality-ai
RTH10260

Facebook

Post by RTH10260 »

Delaware Judge Refuses to Dismiss Facebook Shareholder Suit Over User Data Privacy Breaches
Judge refuses to dismiss shareholder lawsuit alleging that Facebook violated the law and fiduciary duties in failing for years to protect user data privacy.

ByAssociated Press
May 11, 2023

A Delaware judge on Wednesday refused to dismiss a shareholder lawsuit alleging that Facebook officers and directors violated both the law and their fiduciary duties in failing for years to protect the privacy of user data.

Vice Chancellor J. Travis Laster rejected arguments that the complaint should be dismissed because the plaintiffs did not first demand that Facebook’s board take legal action before filing litigation themselves. Under Delaware law, shareholders must make such a demand or demonstrate that doing so would be futile because a majority of directors were self-interested, lacked independence or faced a substantial likelihood of liability.

Laster agreed with the plaintiffs that demand would be futile because there is reasonable doubt that a majority of the relevant Facebook board members, many with close personal and business ties to Mark Zuckerberg, would be willing to confront the CEO and founder of the company now known as Meta Platforms Inc., over its privacy failures.

Meta has said in filings with securities regulators that it believes the lawsuit is without merit.

In refusing to dismiss the lawsuit, the judge noted that he was required to accept the allegations in the complaint, which he described as “encyclopedic and specific” as true for purposes of ruling on the motion.

“It tells a story of directors who were on notice of the law breaking, and who either affirmatively went along with it or consciously disregarded it,” Laster said. “What we don’t have is a little lawbreaking, what we don’t have is isolated lawbreaking, what we don’t have are immaterial violations. … This is a case involving alleged wrongdoing on a truly colossal scale.”

The complaint alleges that Facebook officials repeatedly and continually violated a 2012 consent order with the Federal Trade Commission under which the company agreed to stop collecting personal data on platform users and friends without their consent, and sharing it with the third-party applications.

Facebook later sold user data to commercial partners in direct violation of the consent order, and removed disclosures from privacy settings that were required under consent order, the lawsuit alleges. The company’s conduct resulted in significant fines from regulators in Europe and culminated in the Cambridge Analytica scandal in 2018. That case involved a British political consulting firm hired by Donald Trump’s 2106 presidential campaign that paid a Facebook app developer for the personal information of tens of millions Facebook users.

The fallout led to Facebook agreeing to pay unprecedented $5 billion penalty to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that the company violated the 2012 consent order by deceiving users about their ability to protect their personal information.

While allowing the plaintiffs to pursue their claims that Zuckerberg and several others breached their fiduciary duties to the company, Laster dismissed insider trading claims against several defendants, with the exception of Zuckerberg. The plaintiffs are seeking damages awarded to the company, disgorgement of profits allegedly made through insider trading and corporate governance reforms.

https://www.securityweek.com/delaware-j ... -breaches/
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Facebook

Post by Reality Check »

Facebook this week decided without my consent that I needed SMS notifications on all kinds of crap like any time a friend posts something. I had to drill through and turn them all off. :mad: :mad:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Facebook

Post by neonzx »

Reality Check wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:06 pm Facebook this week decided without my consent that I needed SMS notifications on all kinds of crap like any time a friend posts something. I had to drill through and turn them all off. :mad: :mad:
Sorry for your pain, bro. I gave up on FB 10+ years ago because their means of finding/clicking-around various settings to control privacy were convoluted. I am sure that was by design. Thanks for nothing, Zuck.
RTH10260

Facebook

Post by RTH10260 »

I once had a semifaked account (setting me in a Thailand environment with a real Thai surname). I never posted, just used it for reading where a sign-in was required. At some point they locked that account down. Maybe cause it always showed a European IP address. I tried to set up another shadow(y) account but they never let me use the email address I wanted.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Facebook

Post by raison de arizona »

I have two accounts, one in my name that I use to keep tabs on family and friends. I rarely actually post to it. The other account is not in my name and is what I use to snoop on poots.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”