Bizarre Mushrooms Including the Blue Mushroom image on a New Zealand stamp!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.treehugger.com/most-bizarre ... ms-4858744
13 Bizarre and Beautiful Mushrooms
From a 'bleeding tooth' mushroom to one that appears to wear a veil, here are the world's weirdest, rarest, and most beautiful mushrooms.

With about 14,000 described mushrooms currently inhabiting dank forest floors, decaying tree trunks, and dung piles, there are bound to be some strange-looking varieties. Some depart entirely from the toadstool silhouette—the stereotypical storybook form—with lengthy hairlike spines, fanning shell shapes, flower-esque pedals, and lattice designs. Others that lack uniqueness in shape are fantastic in their royal blue, indigo, and even bioluminescent colors. Many of the most bizarre mushrooms on the planet are extremely elusive.

From a "bleeding" tooth mushroom to one that appears to wear a veil, here are 13 of the weirdest, rarest, and most beautiful mushrooms in the world.

10 of 13 Blue Pinkgill (Entoloma hochstetteri)
entoloma-hochstetteri--also-known-as-the-blue-mushroom--on-forest-ground-near-rotorua--1401500333-d22ee39b445c4883939dc76dec7286a5.webp
entoloma-hochstetteri--also-known-as-the-blue-mushroom--on-forest-ground-near-rotorua--1401500333-d22ee39b445c4883939dc76dec7286a5.webp (7.93 KiB) Viewed 446 times
Like something out of a fairytale, the Entoloma hochstetteri is royal blue, courtesy of a trifecta of azulene pigments, and has a cone-shaped head. It almost appears fake amid leaf litter in its native New Zealand—where the indigenous Māori originally named it werewere-kokako after the kōkako bird—and India. In 2002, the blue mushroom was included in a set of fungal stamps issued in New Zealand.3 It also featured on the back of New Zealand's $50 bank note.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

:thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That was fun.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

Thanks!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Fascinating shrooms!

I bought a plant at the Huntington Gardens plant sale a few years ago that had a passenger hiding in the soil. I was weirded out when the stinkhorn started to grow and grossed out by the smell. I moved the pot away from the house. In a couple of weeks it had done its thing and withdrawn into the soil. I haven’t seen it bloom again.

Lovely, aren’t they? These are what mine looked like
26DC7AC8-B376-405E-8649-2D5D2826F325.jpeg
26DC7AC8-B376-405E-8649-2D5D2826F325.jpeg (68.84 KiB) Viewed 416 times
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Cool 'shrooms. Just realized that the Entoloma mushroom is in the Elder Scrolls game as an alchemy ingredient Blue Entoloma.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax

Return to “Science”