Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Report Problems/Questions Here

We listen to your suggestions, honest we do! Well, sometimes.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:52 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:41 pm
  • Hexagon Reborn - links are fixed, another horrible logo what were they thinking?
Yeah, that logo is pretty bad. Only thing about the theme I can't stand.
I finally got to this today - at least, I finished the two Green Styles and Hexagon Reborn.

HOWEVER, on Hexagon Reborn I only fixed the logo for the default color scheme, which is the dark orange. That orange is actually pretty nice, but those who use the color picker will see that if you pick another color scheme (Hexagon Reborn has like 5 or 6 different color schemes), the logo goes right back to the hexagonal thingy, and not a Fogbow logo at all. So if you use another color scheme, let me know and I'll eventually fix that too also.
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:39 pm So if you use another color scheme, let me know and I'll eventually fix that too also.
I'm on bright blue (third one on the color picker)

Thanks for whenever you get around to it - no hurry!
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:39 pm :snippity:

HOWEVER, on Hexagon Reborn I only fixed the logo for the default color scheme, which is the dark orange. That orange is actually pretty nice, but those who use the color picker will see that if you pick another color scheme (Hexagon Reborn has like 5 or 6 different color schemes), the logo goes right back to the hexagonal thingy, and not a Fogbow logo at all. So if you use another color scheme, let me know and I'll eventually fix that too also.
purple, but i'm probably the only one so don't bother.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OK, with the exception of the blue and purple color pickers on Hexagon Reborn, all board styles should have custom links at top and bottom of every page, and what passes for a fogbow logo of some kind. If that's not working for you, force refresh the page (usually that means hold down CTRL key and press F5). If that's still not working for you, give up and go home. No, wait, tell me about it, yeah. And I'll get to the color pickers later this a.m.
Edit: Oops, prosilver dark edition logo needs fixed
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Newbie questions

Post by Grumpy Git »

Orlylicious has already kindly helped me out with a couple of answers to functionality questions about this place, but since this thread is here I might as well use it!

How do you tag someone if you want to draw their attention to a post?

Is there the equivalent of giving a post you like a thumbs up, a gold star perhaps, or do you have to reply to each one to convey your appreciation?

I'm sure there'll be more along the way, so bear with me, :biggrin:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Newbie questions

Post by keith »

Grumpy Git wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:27 pm :snippity:

Is there the equivalent of giving a post you like a thumbs up, a gold star perhaps, or do you have to reply to each one to convey your appreciation?

To draw a poster's attention to your response, you can quote their post and add your response (you can delete most of the other posters text for brevity if you want). The poster will get a notification that they have been quoted in the 'Notifications' list in the dropdown Quicklinks menu and on the toolbar (the bell icon).

To appreciate a post, you can send add a thumbsup 'smiley'. :like: it's on the additional smileys page which is linked just above the message entry edit window below the regular smilies set.

Foggy has not implemented a reputation/voting system. Except for this :fivestar:

And this :bar:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

There is no "mention" available in the way the board is currently set up. I don't know if somebody has created a stable extension for it that actually works on the current version (and Foggy would want to add).

In our history, we once went to a different BB system than PHPBB which was really pretty good, until they (the creators of the BBS software) upgraded and broke the whole thing. Then it was a nightmare. I think I blocked the name of that software from my brain.

So, in short, we are back to Keith's suggestions. Chancery actually did that to get my attention. He quoted a post by me but removed the rest of the text from whatever I wrote in the post. That was enough to get my attention.

I will sometimes do a search on variations of my username to see if there is something that may need a reply from me.
101010 :towel:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Just reporting in on the random logouts. NOT HAPPENED for a couple days. :thumbsup:

See how well the forum works when nobody is turning knobs and flipping switches? 8-)
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I think I have the Lexicon in a workable format.

I think if we put up a sticky post somewhere so it's always at the top? Let's talk about it. :)
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Something weird on the Board Index page, looking into it.

Or the future.
tek

Post by tek »

Fun!
d-3.jpg
d-3.jpg (482.83 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

It's an extension called April Falls. I'm only a little late in implementing it. :oopsy:

Or the future.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Newbie questions

Post by bill_g »

Grumpy Git wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:27 pm Orlylicious has already kindly helped me out with a couple of answers to functionality questions about this place, but since this thread is here I might as well use it!

I'm sure there'll be more along the way, so bear with me, :biggrin:
Don't know if @"Grumpy Git" works or not. Finding out soon enough. My guess is not.

So, let's try this:
Grumpy Git wrote:
to see what happens. A bit ham handed, but will get the job done.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Not that it really matters, but I had thought that the topic Barack, Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama was for news of the Obama family, and not for birther spewings and foul nonsense from Malik.

See, e.g., https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 75#p163711 and the following posts.

If I ran the circus, I'd push that stuff to another thread. :daydreaming:

Edit: corrected the link.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Ok, this isn't a real problem and isn't fixable, but finding threads to post stuff instead of starting news ones is annoying.

Example:

There's a RIP thread, sad but useful. But somebody else started one for "famous" people who are only ill but still with us.

Having a way to pin that so I can find it would be awesome, but that's something at the PHPBB level, not fixable by an admin.

Babbling over.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I haven't done this for a while, but if I decided I needed to find a thread again that was hard to search for, I would edit one of my posts in the thread (yeah, assuming I had any) and add a word I would never ordinarily use. Doesn't even have to be profane or anything, just odd for me, like purgatory. If I add that to a post, now it's quick to search using the advanced search engine thing. So, I kinda marked the threads I knew I'd return to.

And you can edit really old posts here. Some forums put a time limit on editing your posts, but there's no deadline here.

Or the future.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

That's just it, I haven't used that thread, folks here are informed and post interesting things before I can get to it. But there is a "famous" person not doing well and I just wanted to get their name out before they pass.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

ISTR that the red circle notifications alert used to go away as soon as I clicked on the new post quoting one of mine that was indicated by the alert. Or if not immediately, pretty soon thereafter.

Lately, however, an alert seems to linger for days, no matter how many times I click on the post in question. Logging out and back in again doesn't do anything.

That doesn't seem right.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

That sounds like a database issue, and I will do my usual chores including database repair and cleanup, first thing in the morning. I hope that helps! :pray:

Or the future.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Thanks Foggy!

But just FYI, this has been going on for a number of weeks, possibly months. So if the routine weekly maintenance could fix it, presumably it would not still be happening.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

This morning's maintenance didn't fix the problem. I still have a red notification alert from 4/28.

FYIO.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I am lost, in that case. But lemme research it, maybe it's happening to others.

Or the future.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:03 am I am lost, in that case. But lemme research it, maybe it's happening to others.
In the past I have had an issue where the notification alerts did not clear after I read the topic(s) but lately everything has worked fine for me. I do not have a clue what changed but it has not been an issue for months at least. When they didn't clear I just manually marked everything as read.

I bookmarked this topic so I can test it.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, if'n I go to User Control Panel --> Overview tab --> Manage notifications all my PMs from this month are still there.

I can "Select all" and "Delete selected" and they ain't goin' noplace. But it hasn't bothered me none, because who looks there anyway? :nope:

But I'll eventually research it. I do my own research, didja know that? :banana:

Or the future.

Return to “Questions and Suggestions”