Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weird Headlines

Phoenix520
Verified:

Weird Headlines

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yeah, and he’s really cute, too.

His mama doesn't look like a shortie either.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weird Headlines

Post by neonzx »

Yikes size 23? Wild. Had a friend in H.S. who wore 13 and I thought that was huge. (we were like the same size and build so could share clothing, but not shoes cause mine were not size 13)

Good for him getting some help with that. Could you imagine having to pay $1,500 for a pair of shoes that fit?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weird Headlines

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.thirdstopontheright.com/all ... ty-morgue/
There are lots of pictures of the move. I have copied half of the article.
The Curious Move of the Allegheny County Morgue

The Beginnings of the Allegheny County Morgue
The year was 1887 and Herber McDowell was the coroner and medical examiner of Allegheny County. The only problem was, the city didn’t have a morgue, instead local undertakers would race each other to recover the city’s dead bodies in order to collect the $12 fee (about $300 now) from the county. In fact, the state’s only morgue was in Philadelphia. This posed a problem for a growing city such as Pittsburgh.

After McDowell took his post, he began working with lawmakers to draft legislation to help counties statewide to fund and standardize their morgues. When the legislation was passed in 1893, Allegheny County set up a makeshift facility on Eighth Street.

Well, this makeshift setup wasn’t really working, particularly with deaths being so high due to accidents in the steel mills, manufacturing, and in construction. The city needed a more modern place to work. Therefore, in 1901 construction of a new city morgue began. The new facility was completed on April Fool’s Day in 1903.

Morgue on the Move

Now, I’m not sure if the April Fool’s Day opening was a sort of foreshadowing, but things went well for 25 years. The new morgue, which was designed in the same sort of architecture as the adjacent courthouse and jail, was a perfect location in 1903 but by 1929 it wasn’t so much so. The county was expanding and was developing plans for a new County Office Building — the only problem was, it was in the same location as where the morgue was currently sitting.

Debate ensued about what to do with the morgue. It was only 25 years old, after all, and the county had a lot of money wrapped up in it. Eventually, it was decided that instead of tearing down the morgue it would save money to just move the three-story marble and stone building. Did I also mention they had to squeeze it in-between two existing buildings?

No big deal, right?

Now, I don’t care who you are, but moving a 6,000 ton building 32 feet to one side and back 267 feet is no easy task. Somehow, the city found the Dress-Oravetz House Moving Company which hailed from the Baltic region and apparently had generations of experience in moving houses. (Who knew?)
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weird Headlines

Post by AndyinPA »

It was common, before my time, for high school students to go down to the morgue to see the bodies on display after the prom. :cantlook:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weird Headlines

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:15 pm Yikes size 23? Wild. Had a friend in H.S. who wore 13 and I thought that was huge. (we were like the same size and build so could share clothing, but not shoes cause mine were not size 13)

Good for him getting some help with that. Could you imagine having to pay $1,500 for a pair of shoes that fit?
I have smaller feet. I sort of like that. I have enough trouble stubbing toes on things. I can't imagine what it would be like with bigger feet.

Also, organ playing.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Weird Headlines

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I remember going outside one time after it had snowed and my husband said "Look at the size of those footprints!" And I said "Sweetie, those are yours from this morning." :lol: My husband had 13EEE feet and so his boots were huge.
Gregg

Weird Headlines

Post by Gregg »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:32 pm It was common, before my time, for high school students to go down to the morgue to see the bodies on display after the prom. :cantlook:
You cannot imagine how disturbing I find that.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weird Headlines

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:36 pm
neonzx wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:15 pm Yikes size 23? Wild. Had a friend in H.S. who wore 13 and I thought that was huge. (we were like the same size and build so could share clothing, but not shoes cause mine were not size 13)

I have smaller feet. I sort of like that. I have enough trouble stubbing toes on things. I can't imagine what it would be like with bigger feet.
On second thinking (and seeing the group family photo), this 14yo male @6'10" needs to see a medical professional/endocrinologist. There is some condition (I don't recall the name) that causes excessive growth hormone resulting in giant-ism and it is very bad in the long run.
sugar magnolia

Weird Headlines

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:36 pm

On second thinking (and seeing the group family photo), this 14yo male @6'10" needs to see a medical professional/endocrinologist. There is some condition (I don't recall the name) that causes excessive growth hormone resulting in giant-ism and it is very bad in the long run.
He's been checked out medically and is fine. His mother is 6'2" and his dad a bit taller.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weird Headlines

Post by raison de arizona »

You Can Run from the Cops in a Smart Car—If You Just Believe in Yourself
https://www.thedrive.com/news/33121/you ... n-yourself
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
roadscholar

Weird Headlines

Post by roadscholar »

neonzx wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:36 pm

"Gigantism, also known as giantism, is a condition characterized by excessive growth and height significantly above average. In humans, this condition is caused by over-production of growth hormone in childhood, resulting in people up to 2.7 m (9.0 ft) in height.

It is a rare disorder resulting from increased levels of growth hormone before the fusion of the growth plate which usually occurs at some point soon after puberty. This increase is most often due to abnormal tumor growths on the pituitary gland. Gigantism should not be confused with acromegaly, the adult form of the disorder, characterized by somatic enlargement specifically in the extremities and face." -Wiki
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Jim

Weird Headlines

Post by Jim »

Perfect Name for this cow...Happy!

Cowman
Verified:

Weird Headlines

Post by Cowman »

Jim wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:05 pm Perfect Name for this cow...Happy!
This is a bull calf not a cow (actually it's a heifer) with the tell being the "goatee" beneath his smile. :whistle:
Jim

Weird Headlines

Post by Jim »

:bag: :oopsy: :faint:
Azastan
Verified:

Weird Headlines

Post by Azastan »

Cowman wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:54 pm
Jim wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:05 pm Perfect Name for this cow...Happy!
This is a bull calf not a cow (actually it's a heifer) with the tell being the "goatee" beneath his smile. :whistle:
Good thing this bull calf wasn't born in Florida, because we'd have to cover up that pizzle.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Weird Headlines

So, there can be a cowman, but the young bull is a heifer not a cow. I am confused! :confuzzled:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Cowman
Verified:

Weird Headlines

Post by Cowman »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:11 pm So, there can be a cowman, but the young bull is a heifer not a cow. I am confused! :confuzzled:
Sorry, that is poorly worded. Since this is a calf, the choices are heifer if it's a female or bull calf if it's an intact male.

The term cow is used when a heifer reaches breeding age, which is usually 2 years.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Weird Headlines

Post by bill_g »

Cranking up the Wayback Machine for this one - Pecker in a Vise from August 2018. A classic.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Weird Headlines

Cowman wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:09 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:11 pm So, there can be a cowman, but the young bull is a heifer not a cow. I am confused! :confuzzled:
Sorry, that is poorly worded. Since this is a calf, the choices are heifer if it's a female or bull calf if it's an intact male.

The term cow is used when a heifer reaches breeding age, which is usually 2 years.
Thank you! My email address includes the term filly which many confuse for "Philly" as in the city. A filly is a young female horse usually under age 4. Our Fogbow horsewomen may correct me. :biggrin:

ETA: Loved the "goatee".
Chilidog

Weird Headlines

Post by Chilidog »

Naked man driving stolen school bus with dead deer inside leads police on chase

https://katv.com/news/offbeat/naked-man ... trip-chase
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Weird Headlines

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:54 am Naked man driving stolen school bus with dead deer inside leads police on chase

https://katv.com/news/offbeat/naked-man ... trip-chase
I hope this news report doesn't spur people into a wave of similar "copycat crimes."
roadscholar

Weird Headlines

Post by roadscholar »

Two Suspects Committed Armed Robbery After Chipotle Didn’t Give Them Extra Cheese

https://wrif.com/2023/04/03/two-suspect ... ra-cheese/
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Suranis

Weird Headlines

Post by Suranis »

Jam.jpg
Jam.jpg (62.55 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weird Headlines

Post by Foggy »

One of the dumbest things about SoCal is the people who call that Interstate 210 freeway "the Two Tone". :roll:

I mean, we have a road here called Tenten Road, but nobody calls it "the ToneTone". :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Weird Headlines

Post by Phoenix520 »

Foggy, I’ve lived on top of the 210 for 30 years. I ain’t never heard it called the two tone. :oldlady:

Return to “The Funny”