Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

It sucks growing old

AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

And I still occasionally use paper checks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

It sucks growing old

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:33 pm 5

There is nothing on that list. We get 1 point each for which have not done.
Paper checks -- but I am not writing them and bill service to a firm who never figured out ACH.

On everything else on the NEVER DONE list I score a zero.

We may be descending into that movie Idiocracy.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

It sucks growing old

Post by RTH10260 »

That list, that questionaire, will the kids use it to determine if I am the crazy uncle :?: :confuzzled:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

Yeah, I had a MySpace account. Never made much sense to me so I ignored it after about a month of trying to figure out what it might be useful for.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
MN-Skeptic

It sucks growing old

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I never had a MySpace account or an AOL email address. But as I write that, I’m not 100% sure about AOL. Dang, that was a long time ago! I may have tried it out. :shrug: And I never owned a set of encyclopedias. My parents did, I didn’t. Everything else on the list, yup.
Grumpy Git
Verified:

Older and wiser?

Post by Grumpy Git »

Is this the thread where us crumblies can bitch about getting old and moan about what's wrong with the world? :biggrin:

I turned 60 last November so I reckon I've officially left the 'middle aged' category and now entered...
The-Twilight-Zone.jpg
The-Twilight-Zone.jpg (34.91 KiB) Viewed 1103 times

I don't mind it so far, sure I get more aches and pains than ever before, but it's to be expected, and although I do have my grumpy moments, I don't subscribe to the rose-tinted point of view of many of my peers that...

"It was much better when we were younger."

Life was great when I was a kid but it's still great today. I may not have much money and live in what we Brits call a rented bedsit (one room apartment), but I have a roof over my head, eat regularly, and live just 500 yards from the sea front on the south coast of England.

So compared with many unfortunate people around the world I consider myself blessed.

Sure there's plenty of things that me angry, I really should cut down on watching news bulletins, but I've always been interested in world events, and even though at times I think as a species humanity has run its course, and where's that giant world-ending meteor when you need it, I am grateful every day to still be breathing. :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

I am grateful every day to still be breathing.
That's my attitude. That, and you must fight to stay healthy. Which, I do the best I can.

Yesterday was my last fitness class before surgery mañana. It was Musical Asskicking, a/k/a Les Mills's BodyCombat, martial arts set to dance music, dancing and punching except I can't punch anymore. It was a good class, but I didn't want to leave the gym, because I won't be able to come back for many months. :( All the ladies came up to me and wished me luck on the surgery. They're gonna miss the old geezer who shows up and works as hard as they do. It was a sad experience.

But I woke up breathing again this morning.

Life is good. :biggrin:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
keith

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:33 pm 5

I recently closed my chequing account.

The bank sent me a message that I hadn't used it in 7 years and the $19.61 was gonna go to the shareholders if I didn't do something about it.

Then they sent me a letter asking why I'd closed it after all these years - was there something they did wrong?
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Older and wiser?

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Grumpy Git wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:15 am Is this the thread where us crumblies can bitch about getting old and moan about what's wrong with the world? :biggrin:

I turned 60 last November so I reckon I've officially left the 'middle aged' category and now entered...

The-Twilight-Zone.jpg
My then 90-year-old mother called me on my 60th birthday and cheerfully said, "Congratulations, son, you've now crossed the invisible line between late middle age and early old age!"

Thanks, mom, for your usual cheerful optimism, channeling June Cleaver and Florence Henderson like always!

Of course, she's still motoring around happily at 92 without meds, cane, walker or anything else. So I'll take it.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Older and wiser?

Post by bill_g »

Grumpy Git wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:15 am Is this the thread where us crumblies can bitch about getting old and moan about what's wrong with the world? :biggrin:

Welcome aboard our creaking ship. You can sing for your dinner in this thread, or you can go to Introduce Yourself to post in your own thread about your Life to clutch pearls and exchange bisquits. We embrace the particulars and offer support on the dark days. One can never get off topic talking about themselves on their own stoop.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby's aunt is 82. She still drives, exercises and travels. She doesn't take any medicine except an occasional aspirin. She was sister to Hubby's mother who died last year of cancer at age 92. She didn't take any medicine until she was in hospice and we requested something to help her sleep because she would wake during the night calling for help when she couldn't move her legs. During the day she knew she couldn't move her legs. She also got a fentanyl patch about two months before her death.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
John Thomas8

It sucks growing old

Post by John Thomas8 »

I'm 61 and gotta change the starter on my recalcitrant vehicle.

Ugh.

And it'll be 50 degrees on cold concrete.

Blergh.
keith

It sucks growing old

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:33 pm I'm 61 and gotta change the starter on my recalcitrant vehicle.

Ugh.

And it'll be 50 degrees on cold concrete.

Blergh.
Doesn't the crank handle work anymore?

John Thomas8

It sucks growing old

Post by John Thomas8 »

Giggle
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

I couldn't find this thread. I expected something like "what a drag it is getting old."
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:23 pm I couldn't find this thread. I expected something like "what a drag it is getting old."
Hidden Content
Totally understand, I've been there, and occasionally can still get there.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Annrc
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

I'm there! Totally frustrated. And; my main gripe. PAs. Whatever happened to the real doctors? And now they want me to wait six weeks for injections. They’re busy they say. Meanwhile the pain is atrocious. Especially at night. What to do, what to do. I guess I’m lucky. At least I am retired.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My sympathy to you both. I have heard sciatica is painful. A friend does specific back and hip exercises daily to prevent the pain.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Annrc
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Annrc »

I routinely do pt exercises. They help immensely. They have made such a difference.
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

Annrc wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:21 pm I'm there! Totally frustrated. And; my main gripe. PAs. Whatever happened to the real doctors? And now they want me to wait six weeks for injections. They’re busy they say. Meanwhile the pain is atrocious. Especially at night. What to do, what to do. I guess I’m lucky. At least I am retired.
"There's not much we can do about pain."

That was, as expected, helpful.
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

Annrc wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:47 pm I routinely do pt exercises. They help immensely. They have made such a difference.
Hidden Content
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:32 pm My sympathy to you both. I have heard sciatica is painful. A friend does specific back and hip exercises daily to prevent the pain.
Hidden Content
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Wow. No. I do not want to imagine that kind of pain. Mrs has her bouts with mystery leg and foot pain that has never been fully diagnosed or addressed. She describes it as a burning. She has her good days, her bad days, and her really bad days. No pills touch it. She uses a "natural" skin creme that she says helps, but doesn't totally nix it. She says the lidocaine and benzocaine I have for her osotomy wound care don't make a difference. Pain management is not one of healthcare's better achievements.
MsDaisy
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by MsDaisy »

bill_g wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:41 am Wow. No. I do not want to imagine that kind of pain. Mrs has her bouts with mystery leg and foot pain that has never been fully diagnosed or addressed. She describes it as a burning. She has her good days, her bad days, and her really bad days. No pills touch it. She uses a "natural" skin creme that she says helps, but doesn't totally nix it. She says the lidocaine and benzocaine I have for her osotomy wound care don't make a difference. Pain management is not one of healthcare's better achievements.
When I had shingles they gave me pain pills and I hate pain pills as much as they hate me but I did discover this...
Capzasin HP.png
Capzasin HP.png (231.43 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Greatest relief I've found for just about everything that hurts (as long as you don't get it in your eye :faint: ). It burns like hell rubbing it in but in minutes...Boom! Whatever was hurting does feel better, it doesn't take away the pain as much as it masks it. Could be worth a try, I've never been without it since I discovered it.
sugar magnolia

It sucks growing old

Post by sugar magnolia »

Capsaicin is the same stuff they use for pepper spray, but it's a great pain reliever too.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”