Nostalgia

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Nostalgia

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

keith: I know the words to both the famous Oscar Meyer jingles, I used to have an Oscar Meyer Weiner Whistle (I wonder what happened to that), and I've been in the WeinerMobile (early to mid 60's I think) - nowhere near as flash as this one
Be still, my beating heart! :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Nostalgia

Post by neonzx »

qbawl

Nostalgia

Post by qbawl »

Why not‽
neonzx

Nostalgia

Post by neonzx »

qbawl wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:47 pm Why not‽
It's a little ditty, about Jack and Diane.
Suckin' on chilli dog outside the Tastee Freez
Diane sitting on Jacky's lap
Got his hands between her knees
► Show Spoiler
qbawl

Nostalgia

Post by qbawl »

Okay listened to this and my wife started singing along. She thinks I'm a total idiot because I never heard it. Oh well, shake it off!
neonzx

Nostalgia

Post by neonzx »

qbawl wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:10 pm Okay listened to this and my wife started singing along. She thinks I'm a total idiot because I never heard it. Oh well, shake it off!
That was all the way back in 1982. And your wife knows the lyrics. You can thank me in advance if you get lucky tonight. 8-)
RVInit

Nostalgia

Post by RVInit »

pjhimself wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:39 pm
HELL FUCKING NO! THAT IS NOT HOW IT WORKS! This is a discussion forum, not grenade throwing practice.

YOU MADE THE POST! IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO TELL US WHAT THE CONTEXT OF THE POST IS. TELL US WHAT YOU MEANT BY THE POST BEFORE YOU POST THE DAMN THING. YOU CLAIM TO HAVE A VIEW... WHAT IS IT THEN?

WHY THE FUCK SHOULD WE SPEND OUR TIME WATCHING SOME RANDOM VIDEO THAT YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE THE INTEREST TO WATCH?

Hell, it isn't even available in my country. I'd have to go off and set up a VPN to watch it. Why would I do that for something I don't have a clue what its about?
Thanks for whatever your point was/is (profanity not withstanding, though permitted by the prevailing guidelines).

Perhaps Foggy will “clean this up” as he did the “jokes” situation he chose to do back last week or so.
Stay tuned.
This isn’t “jokes” it’s “nostalgia”, not opinion, not profanity, just a look back at things that remind us where we come from. Or maybe not.
Waddya think ?
I think people are confused about the fact that the video is ABOUT a movie. The video is a "short" and it refers to a movie. Nobody is asking anyone to watch the full movie, pj just offered the "short" video. People are free to watch said "short" if they want, or not watch it. But why beat him up just because he posted a video that is "about" a movie, but he didn't watch the movie itself. I didn't watch the movie either, but I watched the video, which is what was offered.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
qbawl

Nostalgia

Post by qbawl »

:yeahthat: That was my interpretation also, watched the video not the film. YMMV
Kendra

Nostalgia

Post by Kendra »

Please pardon the typo on the file name :bag:
Attachments
notalgia.jpg
notalgia.jpg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 1809 times
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Nostalgia

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:05 pm Please pardon the typo on the file name :bag:
The item on the top is a model 5120 turntable.

I use mine regularly, its my number 2 turntable, and I bought it new a million years ago. Its the 'floppy ar,' version.

ETA I used to have the radio tuner too but I gave it away a couple years ago. I have a newer NAD tuner now,
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Nostalgia

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

When I worked as a divorce lawyer, there was an axiom: the men always wanted the electronics.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx

Nostalgia

Post by neonzx »

It's missing an 8-track player. 8-)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Nostalgia

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:06 am It's missing an 8-track player. 8-)
And reel-to-reel. In college, to listen to previous university recordings, you had to listen on the reel-to-reel machines in the library (the library had for listening assignments, reel-to-reel, turntables, and later, CD players ).
101010 :towel:
keith

Nostalgia

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:10 am
Kendra wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:05 pm Please pardon the typo on the file name :bag:

I use mine regularly, its my number 2 turntable, and I bought it new a million years ago. Its the 'floppy ar,' version.

ETA I used to have the radio tuner too but I gave it away a couple years ago. I have a newer NAD tuner now,
Wait just a darn minute. Those things are all NAD devices. The turntable, at least, was manufactured by Tesla, and they did sell under the Tesla brand in Eastern Europe. But I don't recognize the brand name on these. It could almost be technics, but technics never branded the 5120.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Nostalgia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:57 am When I worked as a divorce lawyer, there was an axiom: the men always wanted the electronics.
Did any of your clients ever say, “5120 or fight!”?
keith

Nostalgia

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:59 pm
keith wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:10 am

Wait just a darn minute. Those things are all NAD devices. The turntable, at least, was manufactured by Tesla, and they did sell under the Tesla brand in Eastern Europe. But I don't recognize the brand name on these. It could almost be technics, but technics never branded the 5120.
The logo on the turntable is definitely Tesla. But I cannot identify the others. NAD doesn't actually manufacture anything as far as I know, they specify the specs, improve the designs of others, and get other trusted European manufacturers to build the stuff for them. They had (and still have) a recognizable color and design 'language' that is, to this day, still recognizable as NAD.

The same turntable was sold as the NAD 5120, the Tesla NC470, and the Lenco L800. (hmm I wonder if the brand name on the other devices is "Lenco" - the turntable is definitely Tesla - I'll have another look at it).

By the way, the Czech turntable manufacturer, 'Tesla' (not the car company), is today known as 'Pro-Ject' (probably a successor company that bought the factory not just a different name). Today the same factory makes 'E.A.T'. turntables as well as its own Pro-Ject turntables. E.A.T. is a high-end audiophile turntable company started by the same guy that designed the NAD 5120/Tesla NC470/Lenco L800.

ETA: No, I can't see 'Lenco' in the logo smear. I think the photo has been 'shopped' to purposely disguise the manufacturers name. - meh maybe it is Technics.
tek

Nostalgia

Post by tek »

Everything other than the turntable is definitely Technics. They were a pretty big deal in mid-fi consumer audio in the 80s/90s, and in keyboards well into the 2000s.. Their turntables were legendary (my 1980-vintage SL-D2 was working fine until the move to Florida, when it got smashed :brokenheart: )

They still exist today, and are still a Panasonic brand. The stuff they make today is crazy expensive.
Kendra

Nostalgia

Post by Kendra »

I remember when this was prime time. :oldlady:

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Nostalgia

Post by Slim Cognito »

My brother had a Jupiter II toy that worked like a top, you cranked it up and let it spin across the linoleum floor. It's probably worth a kajillion dollars these days but ended up in the trash.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
keith

Nostalgia

Post by keith »

"Lost in Space" started with great promise. The story goes that CBS turned down "Star Trek" in favor of LiS.

The first season had some great scripts. Then "Batman" came along and the viewing audience changed expectations. Scriptwriters were given their orders: make changes. Season two was mostly silly (IMO) - more "I Love Lucy" in space than science fiction.

In season three the scripts got a bit better, but the balance of the show between the characters had permanently shifted, Smith was turned from a bumbling nobody into a Trumpian asshole. Jonathon Harris unilaterally decided the point of the show was Dr. Smith and would purposely adlib and overact to emphasise his villainy.

Ratings fell through the floor and it was gone.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Nostalgia

Post by northland10 »

The poor child actor would then have a rough time of it. Like many others, he had to move away to Minbar, grow a bone on his head, become a member of the Third Fane of Chudomo, and eventually take up a boring position as aide to the Minbari Ambassador.
101010 :towel:
neonzx

Nostalgia

Post by neonzx »

northland10 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:22 am The poor child actor would then have a rough time of it. Like many others, he had to move away to Minbar, grow a bone on his head, become a member of the Third Fane of Chudomo, and eventually take up a boring position as aide to the Minbari Ambassador.
Oh, being a child star is tough. Fame and fortune until Hollywood is done with them and spits 'em out. Very few go through that and are able to make the transition to an adult actor. I know I do not need to list examples here of how many fell with drugs/addiction and mental health.

(the exact same goes for child music pop stars)
Kendra

Nostalgia

Post by Kendra »

:bighug:

Is that Laverne as second fiddle?
neonzx

Nostalgia

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:20 pm https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=753975595815786

I think that is Penny Marshall. Yes.
Kendra

Nostalgia

Post by Kendra »

neonzx wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:48 pm
Kendra wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:20 pm https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=753975595815786

I think that is Penny Marshall. Yes.
Agreed. What a treat to see those two in the same commercial. :bighug:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”