Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Murdaugh Murders (podcast)

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

pjhimself wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:47 pm
. the jury was present during that playback. I was very surprised the judge allowed it. It is very distorted at the defense playback speeds. It seems that a majority of people agree that he's saying "I did him bad", not "they did him bad". All the YouTube lawyers were doing polls and it run upwards of 80% that believe Alex slipped and said "I" in that recording.
Tx. If I was on the jury (and in a way we are here), I’d have to think that presenting distorted audio was trying to “cook the books” and would influence my take on a verdict.

Among the things I take away:
- lotsa YouTube testimony without the jury present (don’t understand why)
- prosecution seems to have a lot of damaging evidence
- Alex lawyers are making lotsa money
- Alex money seems subject to recovery by others, how’s he gonna pay (assuming conviction)

The son of the housekeeper testimony seems killer to me, along with the kennel audio.

Sorry, caught up too much. More will unfold to marvel us. Stay tuned.
There was probably half a day Thursday, half a day Friday, and will be a couple of hours on Monday of testimony that is being presented to the judge outside of the jury. This happened because the defense opened the door to character testimony to be entered by the prosecutor. This was just dumb luck for the prosecutor as the financial shenanigans and boat accident and obstruction regarding the boat accident make it make more sense that Alex is the one who murdered his wife and son. The judge is going to have to determine how much of the financial crimes are going to come in. So, that's why all this testimony outside of the jury for now. Some of it will be presented in front of the jury after the judge determines how much and which witnesses can come into this trial.

You are so right, this trial is very interesting and pretty wild!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Tx
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I am keeping up with True Crime Network. What is the significance of the many shell casings found at the kennels?

Thanks to all who are posting updates. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:33 am I am keeping up with True Crime Network. What is the significance of the many shell casings found at the kennels?

Thanks to all who are posting updates. :biggrin:
The shell casings that have matching markings (from being shot from the same gun) are very significant because they show that Maggie Murdaugh was murdered with a gun that belonged to the Murdaugh family. First, the kennel casings were collected, those are the ones from the rounds that killed Maggie. Then, the next day, similar casings were noticed by one of the investigators right outside the door of the Murdaugh house gun room. Testimony from one of Paul's friends revealed that when he lost his first gun, it was replaced by Alex with a gun that did not have the expensive sight that allowed for night time hunting of hogs. So, the witness and Paul bought a red dot sight and they stood outside of the gun room and shot rounds to sight it in. Those are the rounds collected by the detective. And other rounds of the same caliber were collected from various places on the property and it pretty well reveals that the gun that was used to kill Maggie was the gun that Alex bought for Paul to replace the original gun that Paul lost. That replacement gun (Maggie murder weapon) was disposed of, it's never been found as far as I know.

Edit: So, Maggie was killed with Paul's AR gun that he basically never really used for hunting because it didn't have the expensive sight. And Paul was killed with a shotgun loaded with birdshot and I think also loaded with some other shot. It was testified to that Paul's shotgun was often loaded with mixed shot such as was used to shoot him with.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I just heard the judge is allowing the financial stuff to come in.
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

The Judge rules:

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Pluvlaw @Pluvlaw wrote: TFW the witness you’re XE’ing whips out his receipts… #MurdaughTrial
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Feb 6 recap:

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

This witness (who apparently worked at the Alex law firm) characterized Alex as having the “gift of gab” and employing the “art of bull$$h!t)”. Curious to me is how much testimony makes this guy seem so devious/guilty of financial fraud.
I get that this supports the motive aspect of the murder case but there has to be other trials going on (I’m sure there are and this is the one we all are following, and I’m not).

Methinks The defense team has a tough job when it’s their turn.
Another thought: if Alex is convicted of financial crimes, how does the defense team get their fees when he has to pay the piper ?????????? (I’m almost sorry I started follow this).

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

pj, that is such a good question. Where is he going to get the money to pay? From what I understand, the defense has a ton of expert witnesses, which can't be cheap. I think Alex must have the money, as he was hiding it in various places, but I also understand that everything prosecutors know about has been frozen. All of the attorneys handling his case are personal friends. That makes the whole thing weird. Because some of the prosecution witnesses are also attorneys who are/were friends with Alex and his attorneys. And here's the thing. They can't possibly be thinking they will be paid when all of this is over because the financial crimes, at least a large number of them, are slam dunks and will keep him in prison for a long time.

I'm not sure when the financial crimes are going to trial, there are 99 indictments involves, not sure how many different cases. I understand that this same prosecutor is handling those cases, so he is very well versed in the financial stuff.
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Thanks For your response RV,
I don’t want to wander off the main topic but I’m stuck on some questions.
Alex is battling two fronts:
- financial indiscretions (however many)
- murder.

He’s not representing himself and has hired other(s) to do so.
My understanding is that lawyers require retainers to take on clients/cases.
If Alex funds are “frozen” (which is not clear to me) where did he come up with the retainer(s) ?
Are his representatives moving forward without real retainer money in their accounts ?
If not, is this all about friendship and these services are gratis ? With expectations of winning?
Are his attorneys counting on publicity to bring in new business ?

I’m not asking you (or anyone) to respond and I realize I’m getting way beyond the topic.
Just had to unload. Can’t wait to see how this plays out………..
Tx for indulging my rant.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

yeah, I have the same questions.
--Colin Kaepernick
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Even if his funds are frozen, that doesn't mean he doesn't have access to any of them. They can either be tainted funds, or untainted funds and lawyers can be paid from the untainted funds.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

He owns a bunch of real property thereabouts. Of course it could be mortgaged to the hilt so there would be zero equity.

In addition I have to assume that he had a partnership interest in his family's law firm. He was fired. Where are the funds that represent his partnership interest? Could there be receivables owed to the firm that belong to him, awaiting collection? Maybe he has a large whole life insurance policy with a nice cash surrender value or borrowing provision.

Besides his ill-gotten gains he could (as Sugar pointed out) have other sources of assets that could be used to pay the hefty defense counsel fees.

Fogbow word of the day: Pelf. Pelf is short and sweet word for ill-gotten gains or wealth unlawfully acquired.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks again, all, for answering questions and posting legal analysis. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

This seems important methinks…..
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

His defense team is going to try to put the idea out that all these people he stole from had motive to harm him or his family. Except all the people he stole from did not even know he stole from them until after the murders. I'm not sure I think the prosecution is smart enough to put it that bluntly to the jury, but they need to do that. People who are watching the trial don't seem to have figured out that nobody knew about the financial stuff until after the murders, so the jury likely doesn't know it. His own firm's CFO was only just beginning to ask about a single case on the day of the murders, and she's savvy about money matters.

We will talk a lot more about the financial stuff later I'm sure, but for now what I see is that he arranged for his friends to serve as "conservators" and they were the ones who knew how much money the insurance companies were really paying out. Some of them are codefendants in his financial cases, as they were in on the stealing. So, the families he stole from never knew how much insurance money really was paid out and that they were shorted. Until after the murders. Then all the financial stuff started coming out. It's true that the "boat case" was about to uncover all the financial shenanigans, but he was a few days away from having to provide his assets to the court in the boat case when Paul and Maggie were killed. I really wonder which one he killed first and if he really wanted to kill both of them. He deliberately asked Maggie to come out to Moselle, she had been staying at the beach house. So, she seems to definitely have been an intended victim (IMO). Paul was responsible for the fact that his financials were about to be revealed, so I think he had motive to kill him as well. I don't know what his motive was for killing his wife, unless part of it was to stall and then maybe hoped to get a big life insurance payment for his wife and possibly his son as well.
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Feb 7 recap:

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Bomb threat prompts evacuation at Colleton County courthouse during Alex Murdaugh murder trial

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/bo ... WxUhd-eK_w
The Colleton County Courthouse was evacuated Wednesday afternoon due to a “credible threat” that was later determined to be a bomb threat.

The threat came during witness testimony in the Alex Murdaugh double murder trial shortly before 12:30 p.m.

News 2’s Riley Benson was inside the courtroom when Judge Clifton Newman received word about the potential threat. Benson said he started to hear chatter coming from the bailiffs’ walkie-talkie.

He said a law enforcement official then entered the courtroom and whispered something to Judge Newman. The judge then sent the jury into recess and the entire building immediately began to evacuate. News media was told to move away from the building.

A News 2 photographer said that law enforcement was sweeping gear on the lawn of the courthouse earlier in the day.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Feb 8 recap:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thanks for posting these recaps, I for one appreciate them.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:40 am Thanks for posting these recaps, I for one appreciate them.
:yeahthat:
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

These summaries keep popping up, this from a reporter on site:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

It's interesting to hear from someone who has actually been in the courtroom and is watching the jury. Many of the legal channels on YouTube that have been following the case adopted the "I am doubtful he did it" right from the beginning and they aren't budging from that.

The only legal channel I find credible on YouTube is the Lawyer You Know. He seems to be able to ebb and flow along with the actual evidence that is presented. I remember during the Depp trial he was pretty standoffish on an opinion, but as time went on in that trial there was just no way to see it other than that Depp was terribly abused by his ex-wife (although doesn't seem to want to be any kind of poster boy for battered men). I haven't spent any time looking to see if he's following this trial though. The one that comes up on my feed the most is Emily D Baker and I can't stand to watch her channel, she talks over the lawyers and witnesses so often I find myself screaming "shut the fuck up" if I accidentally click on her feed. I laugh when I hear her tell her audience "no, I'm not going to shut up you can watch this somewhere else", but obviously lots of people try to tell her to shut up while the actual testimony is taking place, so it's not just me that gets annoyed at her channel. Sorry, I digress.

Thanks for posting this pj, I never would have found it. I'm pretty busy these days, but sometimes I listen in on YouTube with my bluetooth on while I'm doing other things. I'm pretty sure by this point that Alex killed his wife and son. He lied about being asleep while they were at the kennels and at this point now at least four different people have identified his voice on the Snapchat at the kennels minutes before the murders. By the car "movement" data (technically, it wasn't movement data, it was car going into and out of park) he most likely walked from the house to the kennels, killed them, left Paul's phone with Paul's body because he couldn't open it, took Maggie's phone with him (more than 200 steps were recorded on her "Health" page on her iPhone at the moments after the most probable time of the killing) and then drove to his mother's house. He told his mother's caregiver if anyone asked, he was at his mother's house for 30 to 40 minutes on the night of the murders. She was so upset about being asked to lie that she called her brother to talk to him about it. The car data showed two different entries with the car going "out of Park" for 16 minutes before going back "into park". It's about a 16 minute drive from Moselle property to his mother's house. And there were about 20 minutes of time between it going "into park" and "out of park" after the first 16 minute obvious drive time. That 20 minutes matches the caregiver's testimony that he was at his mother's house for about 20 minutes. Her recollection was dead on. And she gave that estimate a FULL YEAR before they were able to break the encryption on his car "infotainment" center where they retrieved the data showing what times the car went into Park and out of park. That was fascinating information. It also recorded the time he dialed 911 with his phone because his phone was plugged into the bluethooth infotainment console at the time he dialed 911. An interesting note is that he dialed 9111 first, then he dialed 911, I'm sure his attorney's will jump on that and say that it shows he was so upset he dialed an extra 1 and had to hang up and dial again. He could have been nervous about getting caught.

One more thing then I will quit babbling. During his interviews you can hear his voice go super high pitched at the beginning of almost every sentence. I recognize that as being an attempt to sound like he was crying. If you are really crying it's not the first word in the sentence that sounds like a high pitched squeal, you just sound like you are crying at various times throughout as you are talking. And most of the time if you are crying as you are talking you are trying to modulate your voice to normal, not trying so hard to put on a convincing cry. But if you listen to him, each time he starts talking his voice goes high because he's trying too hard to sound like he's crying. That's my take and YMMV, that's OK by me.
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”