Another Shooting

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Virginia teacher emails reveal 'behavioral difficulties' with 6-year-old who shot her: report

Pilar Arias
Mon, February 6, 2023 at 6:17 PM GMT+1

It has been a week since classes resumed at Richneck Elementary in Newport News, Virginia, and emails between teacher Abby Zwerner and school administrators regarding "behavioral difficulties" with the 6-year-old who reportedly shot her are being revealed.

Zwerner, 25, has been released from the hospital, but reportedly told then-Principal Briana Foster-Newton and then-Assistant Principal Dr. Ebony Parker of two incidents with the boy inside her classroom in an email thread on Nov. 22, 2022, according to WVEC-TV.

"As of today, I do not feel comfortable with him returning to my classroom today[,]" Zwerner wrote in the email obtained by the television station.

Zwerner alleged the boy gave his middle finger to a classmate on Oct. 11. A month later, on Nov. 11, she said he bumped into a classmate and then pushed the classmate to the ground.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-tea ... 17507.html
(original: Fox News)
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Another Shooting

Post by poplove »

Active shooter reported at Michigan State University; police say 1 person killed

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... -in-place/
W. Kevin Vicklund

Another Shooting

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I am safe and my friends have all reported in.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Another Shooting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Another Shooting

Livestream about to start (11 pm EST)

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... niversity/
W. Kevin Vicklund

Another Shooting

Suspect last seen leaving the Union heading north. That bearing would take him into town and off campus, but obviously he could change directions. Students that were taking late classes are still in lockdown (the Chemistry building was one such location). Unfortunately, this hits home really hard for one of our best friends. She at one time was engaged to the professor killed in the Virginia Tech shootings, and this is doubly triggering since we have close friends that are or were recently taking night classes.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:25 pm I am safe and my friends have all reported in.
Thanks for letting us know - it's good to hear you're safe! Now, are you also OK? I know that just being physically or emotionally close to something like that can be pretty rough...
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Three people killed in shooting on Michigan State University campus
Suspected shooter found dead off-campus with self-inflicted gunshot wound

Guardian staff and agencies
Tue 14 Feb 2023 05.53 GMT

At least three people were killed and several more injured in a shooting at Michigan State University, according to campus police. The suspected attacker died from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

University police tweeted on Monday that shots were fired in two locations: near an academic building called Berkey Hall and an athletic facility known as IM East.

Michigan State University (MSU) police initially ordered students and staff to shelter in place after a report of shots fired around the school’s East Lansing campus.

An alert was sent shortly after 8.30pm by the university’s police department, advising students to “run, hide, fight”.

After searches that went on for more than four hours, MSU police announced at 12.30am on Tuesday morning that the suspected shooter had been found dead off campus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... ity-campus
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Another Shooting

Post by Slarti the White »

From an update to the article linked above, it said that 2 people were killed in Berkey Hall (a building full of classrooms on the north edge of campus), one at the Union (a bit to the west of Berkey), and that the suspected shooter later was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound on Lake Lansing road and North Larch in Lansing (I have a house just off of Lake Lansing road less than 3 miles away). There were also 5 people who were wounded and taken to the hospital. Very glad to hear that WKV and his friends are all safe.

While this kind of shooting is unfortunately nothing out of the ordinary for our country, having it happen in a place that I'm so familiar with really makes it hit home (literally). I've spent a lot of time on campus at MSU in the evenings and while I wouldn't let female friends walk across campus alone after dark, I never worried about something like this -- it shouldn't be something that any college student... or any American, for that matter, has to be concerned about.

I doubt that this shooting (or any other) will move the needle at all in our politicized society, and maybe that's the most horrible part of this.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Another Shooting

Suspect was 43, male, black, no known affiliation w/ MSU. Was on foot when approached by police at a location about 4.5 - 5 miles away from the shootings and shot himself. Found w/ two guns and a backpack full of ammo. This is preliminary and subject to correction. Next presser at 8 am EST.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

It always hits a little differently when it's in territory you are familiar with. A policeman in a neighboring town was killed on duty a week ago. He was young, engaged, with a year-old baby. He's been laid out at a funeral home in an area we frequent, but we have stayed away from the area as they have been busing people from a parking lot about a mile away. I guess because I'm familiar with the funeral home and church, I've spent a lot more time thinking about it over the last week. It's so sad.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Michigan State gunman's motive eludes authorities but mental health issues emerge

Eric Cox
Tue, February 14, 2023 at 1:53 PM GMT+1

EAST LANSING, Mich. (Reuters) -Authorities on Tuesday said they have "no idea why" a 43-year-old gunman killed three Michigan State University students and wounded five in the latest U.S. mass shooting, but said he had a history of mental health problems before the shooting spree that ended with him turning the gun on himself.

The gunman, identified as Anthony Dwayne McRae of Lansing, Michigan, shot himself to death after the rampage on Monday night, Jim Tarasca, special agent in charge of the FBI's Detroit office, said at a briefing. McRae had no known affiliation to the university in East Lansing, about 90 miles (145 km) northwest of Detroit.

Police have "no idea why he came to campus to do this tonight," said Chris Rozman, interim deputy chief of the Michigan State University police force.

Police found a note in the gunman's pocket that "indicated a threat" to two public schools in Ewing, New Jersey, authorities there said in a statement on Facebook.

The "investigation revealed that McRae had a history of mental health issues," police in the Township of Ewing said, noting that he had ties to that community and that "out of an abundance of caution," schools in that area were closed for the day.

An 85-year-old neighbor of McRae's in Lansing, Michigan, described him to Reuters as "a real hell-raiser" who often fired his gun at home.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/authorities- ... 16706.html

Note: some news item elsewhere mentioned the father saying the guy went bonkers after the recent death of his mother.
ETA link to this comment https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-sta ... 01339.html
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Sentencing hearing -- Buffalo mass-shooting.

(the shooter received life without possibility of parole)
RVInit

Another Shooting

Post by RVInit »

3-year-old boy shot, killed himself in DeLand, deputies say
Story by Katie Sivco • 17m ago

he Volusia County Sheriff's Office is investigating after they say a 3-year-old boy shot and killed himself Wednesday night.
Just happened, not much else yet aside from this. I used to live in Deland, this is not real close to where I used to live though.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... -survivor/
Emma Riddle had felt this fear before.

It was just past 8:30 Monday night, and the freshman at Michigan State University was in her dorm room, staring at an email on her phone. Shots had been fired on campus.

“Secure-in-Place immediately,” it read. “Run, Hide, Fight.”

Emma, 18, took a screenshot and texted it to her parents.

“I’m sorry babe,” her dad, Matt Riddle, wrote back. “Let’s hope it is nothing.”

His daughter called a few minutes later. It wasn’t nothing.

“There’s an active shooter,” she whispered, hiding beneath her desk, the lights off and the windows covered. “I can’t believe this is happening again.”

On a winter afternoon a little more than a year ago, Emma had been 80 miles east, in the band room at Oxford High School, when someone rushed in, panicked. Something bad was happening. Then an emergency alert blared through the intercom. They had drilled on what to do next for years.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/15/us/el-pa ... index.html

Four people were shot Wednesday evening at the Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso, Texas, according to police. One person died, said Sgt. Robert Gomez.

“We have one person in custody. We do believe there could be one outstanding. That’s why the extensive search of the mall is being done right now,” Gomez said.

Police did not comment on a possible motive and did not provide details on the conditions of the three victims who were hospitalized.

“It was chaotic. People did flee. They were scared,” said Gomez.
:explode:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

https://twitter.com/oliviatroye/status/ ... 4908621824
Olivia Troye @OliviaTroye wrote: My aunt is currently in hiding at Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso, TX, as this active shooter scenario is still unfolding. She survived the 2019 Wal-Mart El Paso shooting thanks to someone who pulled her to safety. What is it going to take to enact change?!

My aunt is now safe and out of Cielo Vista Mall. Thank you once again to the amazing stranger who pulled her to safety once again this time around. Heartbroken for my hometown of El Paso, the victims and their families.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

I'm so thankful that I don't live in a war zone
Dave from down under

Another Shooting

Post by Dave from down under »

Dave from down under wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:18 pm I'm so thankful that I don't live in a war zone
Apart from crazies like these three... :(

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/ ... /101983612

Three people who killed two Queensland police officers and a neighbour in December last year executed a "religiously motivated terrorist attack", police say.

Key points:
Nathaniel, Gareth and Stacey Train shot constables Rachel McCrow, Matthew Arnold and neighbour Alan Dare on their property in the Western Downs on December 12
Police examined Stacey Train's diary, the trio's texts, social media postings and conducted 190 interviews
Police said the Trains subscribed to a broad Christian fundamentalist belief system known as premillennialism

Deputy Police Commissioner Tracy Linford said Nathaniel, Gareth, and Stacey Train acted as an autonomous cell and executed a planned "attack directed at police" at Wieambilla in December.

They shot Constable Rachel McCrow, 29, Constable Matthew Arnold, 26, and neighbour Alan Dare at their property in the Western Downs on December 12.

"We don't believe this attack was random or spontaneous," Deputy Police Commissioner Linford said.

"We do believe it was an attack directed at police.

"There was significant evidence of advanced preparation and planning."

Police found camouflaged hiding places at the property, barriers such as dirt mounds and logs, six firearms, three bow and arrows, a number of knives, CCTV, radios, mirrors on trees, and a trap door under the house, which might have enabled an easy escape.

Deputy Commissioner Linford said police had been investigating Stacey Train's diary, as well as the trio's texts, social media postings and 190 interviews.

"What we've been able to glean from that information is that the Train family members subscribe to what we would call a broad Christian fundamentalist belief system, known as premillennialism," she said.

Deputy Police Commissioner Linford said the trio saw police "as monsters and demons".

Deputy Commissioner Tracy Linford said it is believed the attack was directed at police.(ABC News)
She said the COVID pandemic, climate change, global conflicts and social disparity contributed to their belief in their system.

"Whilst the behaviour was similar in some respect to sovereign citizens, we don't believe this was connected to a sovereign citizen ideology, we believe it's connected to the Christian extremist ideology," she said.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by AndyinPA »

You know, when there are people who are going through their second mass shooting, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past time to put a stop to this madness. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Kendra

Another Shooting

Post by Kendra »

I was half asleep, but I believe I heard this morning on MSNBC that another student at MSU that night had survived the Sandy Hook shooting.
raison de arizona

Another Shooting

Kendra wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:15 pm I was half asleep, but I believe I heard this morning on MSNBC that another student at MSU that night had survived the Sandy Hook shooting.
Saw that, she was in 6th grade at a nearby school. But with mass shootings running at an average rate of around one per day? Some people are bound to unluckily be caught in multiple ones.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Phoenix520 »

California is not as Wild West as say TX or AZ, but it has its moments.

My closest brushes were both in parking lots and involved theft. At TJ’s a woman had stolen a large bottle of vodka and pulled a gun on the manager. He just kinda 🤷‍♀️ and let her walk but she was determined to make a scene so she screamed crazy shit like you see in the movies as she ran across the lot and jumped into a car. “You’ll never take me alive!” Like that.

Same parking lot, different day theft from the Marshalls next to TJ’s. Tiny woman with a big bundle of clothes, waving a gun above her head. They didn’t let her walk.

My scariest encounter was also a no big deal though it seemed so at the time. I pulled into my everything shopping center - grocery, bank, starbux, Noodles, - and noticed a cop car parked discretely on the street near the entrance, cop staring at something through binocs. I parked and noticed another cop car tucked behind a delivery truck. Walked into starbux to find a cop with a rifle next to the door, finger to his lips as I walked in. It was eerie, people were just chatting like nothing was happening.

The blinds were nearly closed but I saw cops at each entrance, pointed at the bank. There’d been some kind of misunderstanding and a teller pulled the silent alarm. The cops were waiting when the customer came out but all they did was talk. Seems the teller was spooked by his Tourette’s. :roll:
raison de arizona

Another Shooting

Jeebus, I'd stop going to that TJ's!

And a reminder that the ones getting shot at aren't the only victims in these senseless shootings.
Giffords @GiffordsCourage wrote: A chief medical officer broke down crying talking about those who treated the victims from MSU.

Healthcare providers answer the call and see the brutal aftermath of gunshot wounds.

Why do we continue to let gun violence traumatize our children and country like this?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:15 pm I was half asleep, but I believe I heard this morning on MSNBC that another student at MSU that night had survived the Sandy Hook shooting.
Yes, I saw a bit of an interview with her

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”