Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Kyle Rittenhouse, previous owner of a Smith & Wesson M&P15

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:52 pm
andersweinstein wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:49 pm Yeah I think it's a mistake to think of Rittenhouse as a racist or white supremacist. He was just a goofball. Very often, when you look a little more deeply into the facts, you discover that cases are full of idiosyncratic quirks and oddities and contingencies and don't conform to facile stereotypes.
A goofball with an assault weapon that killed two people and permanently maimed another?

Doesn't seem so goofy to me.
Sure, but the goofball got attacked in a dangerous environment, initially by a very aggressive bad guy (Rosenbaum). He might have been chosen for attack by the bully precisely because he seemed weak and inexperienced. If no one had attacked him, there wouldn't have been any loss of life.

Stripped of all the irrelevance, what you had in this case started with a vicious bad guy attacking a decent kid without any provocation. When criminal bastards like Rosenbaum attack decent folk without provocation, I don't blame the victim, I blame the criminal. It was reasonable for him to use his gun in self-defense.

After that you had a bad, confused situation, sure. But it all derives from Rosenbaum's unprovoked aggression. He wasn't even there out of any concern for Black lives.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

wtf
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

We've been through this, but just for the heck of it... Rittenhouse went to a riot armed with an assault weapon for the purpose of shooting looters. There are tapes of him saying as much ("wish I had my fucking AR I'd start shooting rounds at them" etc.) Just because he was an idiot kid doesn't absolve him of guilt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3B_tpccOnw
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Honestly, has this guy ever commented on anything that isn't to do with Krying Kyle? At this point if he was Kyle himself I wouldn't bat an eye at the revelation.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

sad-cafe wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:45 pmwtf
Zactly. It's Andy, the One-man Apologist Band. :cantlook:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

bill_g wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:07 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:45 pmwtf
Zactly. It's Andy, the One-man Apologist Band. :cantlook:
Yep. Calling Rittenhouse a "goofball" is a red flag that you're dealing with an unreliable narrator. Caveat lector.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Lawsuit can proceed against Kenosha shooter Kyle Rittenhouse

SCOTT BAUER
Thu, February 2, 2023 at 12:40 AM GMT+1

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A federal judge in Wisconsin ruled Wednesday that a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the father of a man shot and killed by Kyle Rittenhouse during a protest in 2020 can proceed against Rittenhouse, police officers and others.

The father of Anthony Huber, one of two men shot and killed by Rittenhouse, filed the lawsuit in 2021, accusing officers of allowing for a dangerous situation that violated his son's constitutional rights and resulted in his death. Anthony Huber's father, John Huber, also alleged that Rittenhouse, who was 17 at the time of the shootings, conspired with law enforcement to cause harm to protestors. John Huber is seeking unspecified damages from city officials, officers and Rittenhouse.

U.S. District Judge Lynn Adelman on Wednesday dismissed motions filed by Rittenhouse and the government defendants seeking to dismiss the civil rights lawsuit.

In allowing the case against Rittenhouse and the others to proceed, the judge said that Anthony Huber's death “could plausibly be regarded as having been proximately caused by the actions of the governmental defendants.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/federal-judg ... 38240.html
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:33 pm
:snippity:
I mentioned this upthread, but in case it got lost, Rittenhouse hid from the process server and it took over 100 hours to serve him. Then he claimed he wasn't properly served and tried to get the suit dismissed. Because that's what kind of guy he his, still can't take responsibility.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:36 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:33 pm
:snippity:
I mentioned this upthread, but in case it got lost, Rittenhouse hid from the process server and it took over 100 hours to serve him. Then he claimed he wasn't properly served and tried to get the suit dismissed. Because that's what kind of guy he his, still can't take responsibility.
Mommy taught him this
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
andersweinstein

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:50 pm We've been through this, but just for the heck of it... Rittenhouse went to a riot armed with an assault weapon for the purpose of shooting looters.
That's a complete myth. He spent all this time going around asking if people needed medical assistance. He cleaned grafitti in the morning. . He never behaved aggressively. He never pointed his rifle at anyone until attacked. He never instigated any confrontation and cheerfully walked away from all confrontations directed at him. All the video evidence speaks for the idea that he had no such intentions.

Even you would have to admit he only shot people who attacked him after trying to flee and failing to get away -- not at all the pattern of someone actively looking to "go shoot looters".
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:50 pm There are tapes of him saying as much ("wish I had my fucking AR I'd start shooting rounds at them" etc.) Just because he was an idiot kid doesn't absolve him of guilt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3B_tpccOnw
At that time all he did was sit in a car and call 911. The judge recognized that a teen shooting off his mouth to a buddy while sitting in a car is cheap and doesn't mean anything.

Anyway, I think you ought to consider the possibility that all this image you have of KR is just your own projection, based on stereotypes and nothing more. The jury had to deal with all the evidence which supports or is consistent with his account.

Again: the reason the Rittenhouse case is interesting is because it is an example of where the misinformation is on the liberal side. Right-wingers have a more accurate view than you do. If you cared about misinformation you would recognize that you've bought into a constructed myth that fits your preconceptions but has little evidence to support it and a lot against it.

He was a somewhat weird kid who went there with decent intentions and got himself attacked. He was aquitted because he had a good self-defense case on the evidence. There really weren't many facts in dispute.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

andersweinstein wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:22 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:50 pm We've been through this, but just for the heck of it... Rittenhouse went to a riot armed with an assault weapon for the purpose of shooting looters.
That's a complete myth. He spent all this time going around asking if people needed medical assistance. He cleaned grafitti in the morning. . He never behaved aggressively. He never pointed his rifle at anyone until attacked. He never instigated any confrontation and cheerfully walked away from all confrontations All the video evidence speaks for the idea that he had no such intentions.
Um, my 50-something year old self is going to see a teenager with an assault-style riffle slung over his should as a threat.

If he wanted to play medic, he should have saved the money he spent on his riffle and bought a Red Cross vest. Much cheaper. Medics don't carry weapons of war to my knowledge. But he was a child. Should not have been present in the first place.
andersweinstein

neonzx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:29 pm
andersweinstein wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:22 pm
That's a complete myth. He spent all this time going around asking if people needed medical assistance. He cleaned grafitti in the morning. . He never behaved aggressively. He never pointed his rifle at anyone until attacked. He never instigated any confrontation and cheerfully walked away from all confrontations All the video evidence speaks for the idea that he had no such intentions.
Um, my 50-something year old self is going to see a teenager with an assault-style riffle slung over his should as a threat.

If he wanted to play medic, he should have saved the money he spent on his riffle and bought a Red Cross vest. Much cheaper. Medics don't carry weapons of war to my knowledge. But he was a child. Should not have been present in the first place.
Yeah, that's why I say he was a goofball. But remember Gaige Grosskreutz was a medic also who never left home without his gun (except that his was illegal for him to carry). There was another story about a medic who also went armed into such situations. It's a gun-friendly state, there were just lots of guns in the environment that night. I don't think that's wise but it wasn't like he was the only one who went armed. He had a rifle rather than a pistol because that was legal for him in WI.
raison de arizona

andersweinstein wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:36 pm He had a rifle rather than a pistol because that was legal for him in WI.
Because he was hunting, if I recall how the law was written.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

andersweinstein wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:22 pm That's a complete myth. He spent all this time going around asking if people needed medical assistance.
No. He spent his time running after a reporter, boasting to her, and lying about what a great medic he was. Then he tried to show off for the reporter by asking people did they need his help with his bag of Band Aids. And he got pissed off when everyone, and I mean everyone, told him to fuck off in front of the Reporter.

He had nothing on him that said he was a medical guy or that he had any intention of being a medical guy when he was there. It is likely that Band Aids were really there because he expected to get beaten up, and were for his own or his friends use. he could have easily went over and offered his services as a Medical Assistant to the march organizers, but nope.

There was a guy providing Medical treatment all night, with real medical equipment and dressings. He was clearly marked as such, and wearing clothing that marked him as a medical professional. Goofy Kyle blew half his upper arm off. It would be irresponsible not to speculate whether Goofy Kyle saw him, and shot him because the real Medical Professional was getting the respect Goofy Kyle was denied.

If you want to talk from a perspective of a Fantasy World, try Middle Earth. It's much better.
Hic sunt dracones
andersweinstein

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:48 pm
andersweinstein wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:36 pm He had a rifle rather than a pistol because that was legal for him in WI.
Because he was hunting, if I recall how the law was written.
I think that's another myth, although it is certainly widely believed and the law is definitely hard to understand, so I don't object strongly to people who believe it. But in fact there's nothing anywhere in the law that says he had to be hunting to carry. That was an assertion from the prosecution about the intent behind the somewhat convoluted shotgun/rifle exception in the law. But that assertion was supported by ... nothing.

The idea that WI restricted minor long gun possession to hunting is contradicted by the firearm permissions granted to people under 16 in 29.304:, one of the hunting code statutes referenced in the minor possession law:

Children under 12 can carry a long gun to hunter safety class. (unloaded, in a case, and parentally supervised).
Children 12-13 can carry to hunter safety class (no longer needs to be supervised) OR carry if supervised by parent. (Anywhere)
Children 14-15 can do the same as 12-13 but can also possess rifles if they have a hunter safety certificate (anywhere).

These law only put restrictions on those under 16. so once you hit 16, there are no more restrictions anymore. so, historically, 16 and 17 year olds in WI were not prevented from carrying long guns, as long as they didn't find a way to skip safety training when getting a hunting license.

Among other things, these rules would allow teens who are privileged to go hunting alone to CARRY their weapons to the hunting area unsupervised. So perhaps they were intended to *facilitate* youth hunting, but not *restrict* possession to hunting.

For that reason, it seems flat incorrect to say that WI law only permits long gun possession by minors while hunting.

[I was cheating just a bit though -- I am not at all certain Rittenhouse *knew* it was legal for him to possess a rifle. The law is quite hard to understand. It's possible he thought it was legal because he was under supervision of an adult, Dominick Black, though in fact the law never provided that permission to 16 or 17 year olds. He did seem to believe he could shoot clay pigeons with Black, which is a permission granted in the target practice exception in the law.]
andersweinstein

BTW here's another case of a 16 year old legally carrying an AR-15 in Kenosha at a protest, albeit in the daytime and with her father.

(The WI law never provided permission for 16-year-olds to carry long guns under adult supervision, they only provided this for children under 16.)
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Gee, I wonder what site you dug into to get something from 2021. :roll:

That's an example of confirmation bias - you want this situation to be the same as Rittenhouse, therefore you present it as the same thinking it exonerates the idiot who was getting into peoples faces and annoying people, getting them to tell him to fuck off. When it isn't.

No-one asked goofy Kyle to be a medical guy or provide security, for example. They were.

Plus, they clearly disagree with you on the verdict, surprise surprise.

https://www.snopes.com/articles/436144/ ... tion-bias/
Hic sunt dracones
andersweinstein

Suranis wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:53 pm Gee, I wonder what site you dug into to get something from 2021. :roll:

That's an example of confirmation bias - you want this situation to be the same as Rittenhouse, therefore you present it as the same thinking it exonerates the idiot who was getting into peoples faces and annoying people, getting them to tell him to fuck off. When it isn't.
I would never say it's the same. I think the WI law is best interpreted as not disallowing 16 and 17 year olds from possessing long guns (rifle or shotgun) even if not hunting. I noticed that story at the time and found it interesting with respect to the debateable WI possession law, that's all.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The three hardest working blazer buttons in politics.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

KIller Kyle went looking for trouble - armed and willing

He killed 2 and maimed one.

and thus became the poster boy for crazies.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Does the former guy wear a new wig?

I guess he must impress the youngsters and tweens he is grooming “Grab 'em by the ..."

ps. who is the other guy in the threesome?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:05 pm Does the former guy wear a new wig?
Or was it air-brushed? That's too much hair than we've seen recently. And while I hate to fat-shame, Kyle's suit jacket is due for a new one real soon. He should have unbuttoned the button.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:07 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:05 pm Does the former guy wear a new wig?
Or was it air-brushed? That's too much hair than we've seen recently. And while I hate to fat-shame, Kyle's suit jacket is due for a new one real soon. He should have unbuttoned the button.
yeah!

and you left me little time to edit my original post ;)
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Those buttons aren't just working hard, they are screaming in pain.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Ah, but the old school “Republicans for Reagan” style of tan pants with navy jacket still holds (but Kyle was too young to grok that)

Return to “Other weirdos”