Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, patgund!!!

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Here's an Arkansas Snowball bush for your birthday!
IMG_1664.jpg
IMG_1664.jpg (51.26 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Happy Birthday to You!
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

:groupdance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Happy Birthday!

realist

Post by realist »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

:dance:
Image X 4
Image X 32
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

realist wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:29 pm
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

:dance:
Thank you!
Mad Geoscientist GRADUATE STUDENT in Training
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

So what have I been up to lately?

Completed a Bachelors of Science in Earth Systems Science (Geoscience) at University of Washington - Bothell. I walk graduation next month.

Did a one quarter exchange student stint at Háskóli Íslands.(University of Iceland) from August 22 to December 22. Can't wait to go back someday.

Start graduate school in Geology this September (Central Washington University, Ellensberg, WA. 60 miles from the Aplets and Cotlets factory).

And will be marking my third anniversary to Tabi in July. (The most important part)

Working doing tech support for a few months, but I may be taking on a research assistant position in grad school, studying fossil tsunamis.
realist

Post by realist »

patgund wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 pm So what have I been up to lately?

Completed a Bachelors of Science in Earth Systems Science (Geoscience) at University of Washington - Bothell. I walk graduation next month.

Did a one quarter exchange student stint at Háskóli Íslands.(University of Iceland) from August 22 to December 22. Can't wait to go back someday.

Start graduate school in Geology this September (Central Washington University, Ellensberg, WA. 60 miles from the Aplets and Cotlets factory).

And will be marking my third anniversary to Tabi in July. (The most important part)

Working doing tech support for a few months, but I may be taking on a research assistant position in grad school, studying fossil tsunamis.
Been bizzy!!

Congratulations on all you've accomplished and best wishes for all your future endeavors. :thumbsup:
Image X 4
Image X 32
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Congrats on sorting it all out.

We have a couple of members who are Iceland fans too.
Missed you sir :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hooray! You have fabulous news!!!!!!! Iceland is one of my favorites. I want to go back too.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Most excellent news, Pat. :thumbsup:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

:thumbsup:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

:thumbsup:
101010 :towel:
Lani

Post by Lani »

:cheer2: Happy Birthday & Wonderful News!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, his birthday is in February.

He was giving us the 411 in a thread with his name on it. ;)

Or the future.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Happy belated birthday and congratulations on all your accomplishments :fiesta: :fiesta:

For your birthday, I got you a pony!! :batting: :batting:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Sounds like things are going rather well - congrats on all the accomplishments!!
patgund wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 pm Did a one quarter exchange student stint at Háskóli Íslands.(University of Iceland) from August 22 to December 22. Can't wait to go back someday.
I'm SO jealous!!! I hope you get to see it again soon :)
Gene Kooper

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, patgund!!! Also, too Graduation

Post by Gene Kooper »

patgund wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 2:29 pm So what have I been up to lately?

Congratulations Pat and welcome from a fellow geologist. You can now be officially called a Rockhead. :mrgreen:

Also, too you can pontificate the Universe after merely glancing at a pebble.

I'm sure you will enjoy your research on fossil tsunamis (I've only heard of them referred to as paleotsunamis). Being from Colorado, there aren't near as much tsunami evidence as in Washington and adjacent areas along the Cascadia Fault. My interests are in mineral deposits and hydrogeology. My keenest interest is in computer modeling of groundwater flow. It combines my geological knowledge and math skills (i.e. I luvs partial differential equations).

I see that Dr. Breanyn MacInnes is conducting some interesting research on tsunamis at CWU. Will you be studying under her? I don't follow that research in depth, but have enjoyed reading the work of Dr. Brian Atwater, et al.

For the boogle, here is a link to research conducted by Dr. Atwater at the USGS regarding the January 1700 mega-earthquake along the Cascadia Fault that created an "orphan tsunami in Japan.

The orphan tsunami of 1700—Japanese clues to a parent earthquake in North America - Professional Paper 1707
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

Mr. Gneiss wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:49 pmI'm sure you will enjoy your research on fossil tsunamis (I've only heard of them referred to as paleotsunamis). Being from Colorado, there aren't near as much tsunami evidence as in Washington and adjacent areas along the Cascadia Fault. My interests are in mineral deposits and hydrogeology. My keenest interest is in computer modeling of groundwater flow. It combines my geological knowledge and math skills (i.e. I luvs partial differential equations).
I'm getting more and more into Geomorphology, and the study of just how a landscape looks the way it does. Hydrogeology takes a close second. I blew the doors off my Quaternary Environments graduate-level class at University of Iceland. :)

And I'm getting used to the way my friends eyes glaze over when I start to discuss "Deep Time" and how "recently" might mean "oh, somewhere in a 500-1 million time range, depending"
Mr. Gneiss wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 5:49 pmI see that Dr. Breanyn MacInnes is conducting some interesting research on tsunamis at CWU. Will you be studying under her? I don't follow that research in depth, but have enjoyed reading the work of Dr. Brian Atwater, et al.

For the boogle, here is a link to research conducted by Dr. Atwater at the USGS regarding the January 1700 mega-earthquake along the Cascadia Fault that created an "orphan tsunami in Japan.

The orphan tsunami of 1700—Japanese clues to a parent earthquake in North America - Professional Paper 1707
There is a chance - as yet unconfirmed - that I'll be working as a research assistant for Dr. MacInnes on this project. She interviewed me last April, but agreed that the opportunity to go to Iceland was worth delaying my graduation from UW-B a year. (I was accepted into the grad program last year, but paused it for UI) I know the department co-chair has referred to me as "Working with Dr. MacInnes", and she does want someone with GIS experience to look at the visual data.

And the 1700 Ghost Wave is fascinating in how we were able to use the Japanese historical record to place a exact data on the last megaquake along the Cascadian Subduction Zone, when all we had on this side were drowned trees, some deposit data, and local legends.
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

Oh, and of course we have to mention CWU's other well known Geologist:

Nick Zentner

Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

patgund wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:16 pm I'm getting more and more into Geomorphology, and the study of just how a landscape looks the way it does. Hydrogeology takes a close second. I blew the doors off my Quaternary Environments graduate-level class at University of Iceland. :)

And I'm getting used to the way my friends eyes glaze over when I start to discuss "Deep Time" and how "recently" might mean "oh, somewhere in a 500-1 million time range, depending"
I took my undergraduate geomorphology course under the tutelage of Bill Davis....er, no, that would have been 1884. I actually took it in 1984. If I had to choose which undergrad geology course was the most impactful my answer would be geomorphology. In grad school, I expanded on that with a fluvial geomorphology course. Thoroughly enjoyed both. The fluvial class was esp. helpful in my career that included conducting hydrogeological investigations of hazardous waste sites.
patgund wrote: And the 1700 Ghost Wave is fascinating in how we were able to use the Japanese historical record to place a exact data on the last megaquake along the Cascadian Subduction Zone, when all we had on this side were drowned trees, some deposit data, and local legends.
THIS is why I love geology so much. When I was in school, my profs constantly beat into my rock-hard noggin that employing multiple working hypotheses is the key to good science. Having that open mind is fundamental to deducing what happened over 300 years ago by a careful analysis of diverse facts and evidence on opposing sides of the Pacific. The anti-science alternative to multiple working hypotheses is to cling to a ruling hypothesis. Creation science is an excellent example of pseudo-science masquerading as science.

P.S. I imagine that CWU offers a graduate seminar on the history of geological thought. By that I mean reading and discussing the original works of early geologists instead of the Cliff Notes versions of their work in modern text books. The GSA published in 1985, "Geologists and Ideas: A History of North American Geology" as part of their D-NAG publications. Perhaps a bit dated, but still worth a read.

Looking forward to reading about your graduate studies, Pat. I had to giggle at your course in Iceland on Quaternary Environments. Does Iceland have any geologic history older than the Quaternary? :lol:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Geomorphology!! :faint: :faint:

That was one of my favourite subjects as well. Around here though we studied glacial landforms, like drumlins and moraines. I loved studying physical geography/earth sciences because we went out on field trips all the time instead of sitting inside.

My friends’ eyes also glaze over when I start talking about karst topography and glacial till :blahblah: :blahblah: :lol: :lol:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

birthday_rockstar_1080x.jpg
birthday_rockstar_1080x.jpg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Sorry it's belated. Hope your birthday was grand.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

Mr. Gneiss wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:55 pmLooking forward to reading about your graduate studies, Pat. I had to giggle at your course in Iceland on Quaternary Environments. Does Iceland have any geologic history older than the Quaternary? :lol:
*Snicker*. It's on a hot spot that happens to be under the Mid-Atlantic ridge. So, no :)

One of the courses I took was on Icelandic Geology. It was pretty much a "sampler" of the island's entire geologic background, with each week being taught by different professors depending on what aspect we were covering. And the field trips were an absolute blast. From the rift valley that is Þingvellir national park, to Heimaey in the Vestmannaeyjar islands (and walking to the top of the Eldfell cinder cone and remembering reading the National Geographic articles about it's eruption in the 1970's). Not to mention the lava fields of Grindavík (and that triumph of marketing over reality, the Blue Lagoon spa).

Weather kept us from going out to the glaciers, alas.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Pingviller NP is one of the coolest places I've ever been!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Introduce Yourself”