Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

JOE MANCHIN

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: JOE MANCHIN

Post by raison de arizona »

Joe Manchin does not approve.
Igor Bobic @igorbobic wrote: Manchin calls Biden’s decision to cancel student loans “excessive.”

“I just think there’s a better way to do it. You have to earn it.”

Manchin added: “When people were calling me from back in West Virginia, we give them all the options they had to reduce their loans by going to work for the federal government”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:37 pm Joe Manchin does not approve.
Igor Bobic @igorbobic wrote: Manchin calls Biden’s decision to cancel student loans “excessive.”

Manchin added: “When people were calling me from back in West Virginia, we give them all the options they had to reduce their loans by going to work for the federal government”
I am so hoping that this November's election makes Joe Manchin's approval or disapproval on any given topic less relevant.

Edited to add: In what world does Joe Manchin live in that expanding the federal employer footprint in WVa is somehow less expensive than debt forgiveness for the same number of people?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:07 am
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:37 pm Joe Manchin does not approve.

I am so hoping that this November's election makes Joe Manchin's approval or disapproval on any given topic less relevant.

Edited to add: In what world does Joe Manchin live in that expanding the federal employer footprint in WVa is somehow less expensive than debt forgiveness for the same number of people?
And what percentage of those people does he think are qualified for fed jobs?

I knew a man with a PhD in philosophy who made minimum wage for writing numbers on boxes working for the state. A philosophy degree wasn't in high demand.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Meh, faux outrage. Free higher education should be the goal and doesn’t require brick and mortar universities.

IMO, the $10k debt forgiveness is targeted well (to those making less than 125k/yr). Within this group, it is very likely that they acquired student debt but did not earn a 4 year degree.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I propose that Joe Manchin's receipt of millions of dollars in campaign monies from oil and gas companies is "excessive".
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

JOE MANCHIN

CSPAN @cspan wrote: .@Sen_JoeManchin (D-WV) says he is introducing legislation today with @SenTedCruz (R-TX) to ensure gas stoves are not banned.

"They're not taking my gas stove out!"
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

JOE MANCHIN

Post by RTH10260 »

Just tell anyone that listens that they are banning the gas BBQ grills :twisted:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

JOE MANCHIN

Post by Reality Check »

Manchin is such an asshole tool. :brickwallsmall:
AndyinPA
Verified:

JOE MANCHIN

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234686934/
Senator Joe Manchin, an alleged Democrat, went on Fox News’ Sunday Morning Futures with Maria Bartiromo — the Sunday morning equivalent of Tucker Carlson — and declined to identify as a member of the Democratic Party. That’s right, the senator who jokes with Republicans about switching parties, is now claiming he is an “American” instead of a Democrat.

“Do you still identify as a Democrat?” Bartiromo asked the senator at the conclusion of the interview.

“I will be involved in any way I can to help,” Manchin said.

“Do you still identify as a Democrat?” the host repeated.

“I identify as an American,” the senator replied.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

JOE MANCHIN

:nooo:
Washington Examiner @dcexaminer wrote: As @Sen_JoeManchin mulls a reelection bid, he has kept members of his party on their toes as he openly flirts with a presidential bid, refusing to close any doors as he considers his next move.
washingtonexaminer.com wrote: Democrats trying to talk Manchin out of White House ambitions
As Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) mulls a reelection bid, the West Virginia senator has kept members of his party on their toes as he openly flirts with a presidential bid, refusing to close any doors as he...
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

JOE MANCHIN

Post by Frater I*I »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:51 pm
As Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) mulls a reelection bid, the West Virginia senator has kept members of his party on their toes as he openly flirts with a presidential bid, refusing to close any doors as he...
The terms snowball and hell come to mind....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

JOE MANCHIN

Post by Flatpoint High »

Danraft wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:00 am Meh, faux outrage. Free higher education should be the goal and doesn’t require brick and mortar universities.

IMO, the $10k debt forgiveness is targeted well (to those making less than 125k/yr). Within this group, it is very likely that they acquired student debt but did not earn a 4 year degree.
We had free higher ed until then Gov Reagan was told the "too many proles" were getting educmacated. He ended free Uni Ed.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

JOE MANCHIN

Post by Foggy »

I love West Virginia.

I spent many weekends there, exploring caves with my friends. We had a book (now out of print) with all the locations.

I have walked into the side of a mountain and climbed out the top four hours later, and then walked down the side of the mountain, back to my car.

I have gone 160 feet down a rope, not touching the sides of the cave, and climbed back up after half a day in the cave.

I had a ton of fun and adventure, and West Virginia is so beautiful. The people were so nice and friendly. It was a great experience.

But honestly, the majority of the country thinks W. Va. is some kinda cultural hellhole, with nothing but uneducated rednecks.

So Manchin would face a lot of prejudice before he even started. And only us political junkies even know his name.

So I don't expect him to get any traction. :nope:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

JOE MANCHIN

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I used to really love West Virginia, have vacationed there a number of times, even in the last ten years, but I can't go there anymore without being aware of the damage that has (always?) been done to that state by men like Manchin. I agree he's not likely to get any traction. As someone who lives 70 miles from the PA-WV line (as the crow flies), I've known about Joe Manchin a lot longer.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

JOE MANCHIN

Post by Ben-Prime »

There's an old quote I'm trying to remember, but it may be apocryphal or I may be having a Mandela Effect attack, but I could swear that Twain once said about Mencken that the other fellow's problem was that he both believed he was H.L. Mencken and believed further that that was enough for any man.

Joe Manchin's problem is that he believes being Joe Manchin is likewise enough for any man. This is a commonly egotistical notion among politicans who have found their niche and believe they can ride it to the White House. But for many, it's like cliff-diving: You're either grand champion or some stuff on a rock.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

JOE MANCHIN

Manchin not running again. This will be a hard seat to hold, methinks.
AndyinPA
Verified:

JOE MANCHIN

Post by AndyinPA »

Yep. And I think the current governor is salivating at the chance. Ex-Dem who changed parties when tfg came into office. A major pet peeve of mine. I just don't think a politician ought to be able to do that when it's not an election year. :mad:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/09/politics ... index.html
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

JOE MANCHIN

Post by neonzx »

WV is a Dem lost cause for now. People there still believe their coal mining jobs are coming back and will make America Great again.

If you have spent any time in WV, you know that is a fantasy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

JOE MANCHIN

Post by AndyinPA »

Absolutely YES!
raison de arizona

JOE MANCHIN

:lol:
https://x.com/DougJBalloon/status/17522 ... 86889?s=20
New York Times Pitchbot @DougJBalloon wrote: American voters shouldn’t just have a choice of two 75+ white men this fall. They should have a choice of three.

by Joe Manchin
raison de arizona

JOE MANCHIN

Do you WANT to get tfg reelected? because this is how you get tfg reelected.
Joe Manchin floats Mitt Romney as a potential running mate as he weighs a presidential bid
Manchin made the comment Thursday in Cleveland, the latest stop on his "listening tour" as the West Virginia senator ponders a third-party White House campaign.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... rcna138977
AndyinPA
Verified:

JOE MANCHIN

Post by AndyinPA »

I think Mitt Romney might not think that's such a great idea.
pipistrelle

JOE MANCHIN

Post by pipistrelle »

Does Manchin appeal to anyone?
Volkonski
Verified:

JOE MANCHIN

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:22 pm Does Manchin appeal to anyone?
West Virginia coal miners.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

JOE MANCHIN

Post by sugar magnolia »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:32 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:22 pm Does Manchin appeal to anyone?
West Virginia coal miners.
All 3 of them?

Return to “Current Politics”