Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:48 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:41 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:39 pm

Its the first and middle names together that are the problem - sounds too much like Queen Elizabeth
Unless they call her by both names I doubt more than a handful of people will even know what it is.
We never used middle names in school.
I did. Even today.

Keith is my middle name.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

I like my middle name. It's has two syllables. "Patrick".

James nickname Jim is so boring. A Frenchman friend made fun of my solo syllable name .

His name was Jean-Marie.(pronounced in Francis)

I countered and said he had a girl name.

That was the mean neon cometh.
Volkonski
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Volkonski »

Axios

PayPal CEO Dan Schulman announced that the company will lay off around 2,000 employees, the latest tech giant to slash jobs this year.

https://trib.al/EhAGZJF
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

They are pretty much closing all the Bed, Bath, and Beyond stores in my area. I knew it was coming. The only winners here, Amazon and Walmarts. And I can't remember the last time I was in a Walmarts. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:28 pm Axios

PayPal CEO Dan Schulman announced that the company will lay off around 2,000 employees, the latest tech giant to slash jobs this year.

I didn't see it in that article, but others have mentioned that this may be due to some sort of Twitter Pay that is upcoming.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:12 pm They are pretty much closing all the Bed, Bath, and Beyond stores in my area. I knew it was coming. The only winners here, Amazon and Walmarts. And I can't remember the last time I was in a Walmarts. :mad:
Over the weekend I needed a memory card for the kid's nintendo switch. Checked online, they were available all over, Walmart had them for $31.88. Headed to Target because I don't do Walmart and figured it would be around the same price. $54.99!!! Holy cow, the guy didn't believe me that Walmart was selling them that cheap, so I pulled it up on my phone. He matched the price. Target for the win.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:38 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:28 pm Axios

I didn't see it in that article, but others have mentioned that this may be due to some sort of Twitter Pay that is upcoming.
I bet Elon will promote cryptocurrencies and his very own TwitCoin :twisted:
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

:lol: my life
https://twitter.com/natsechobbyist/stat ... 8613698561
Rachel Vindman 🌻 @natsechobbyist wrote: In a few minutes my husband is going to walk in from a 4-day trip and immediately unpack his entire suitcase while mine is still packed from a 2-day trip I took last weekend. Opposites attract.
noblepa

Hijack This Thread

Post by noblepa »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:41 pm I bet Elon will promote cryptocurrencies and his very own TwitCoin :twisted:
What an appropriate name.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

so much for skydiving
yfo24e0zxufa1.jpg
yfo24e0zxufa1.jpg (64.91 KiB) Viewed 635 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall:
Woman mistakenly pronounced dead was found alive in body bag, report says

Kerry Breen
Thu, February 2, 2023 at 7:20 PM GMT+1

An Iowa care facility is facing fines totaling $10,000 after mistakenly pronouncing a 66-year-old resident dead and having her transported to a funeral home, where she woke up "gasping for air."

A new report from the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, released on Feb. 1, 2023 and first reported by CBS affiliate KCCI, details the series of events that led up to the woman being mistakenly pronounced dead. The unidentified resident, who had been at the Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center since Dec. 2021, was moved into hospice care at the facility on Dec. 28, 2022, because of "senile degeneration of the brain."

While in hospice care, comfort measures were taken. Over the course of several days, staff members recorded occurences of "diminished" lung sounds and minor seizures. On Jan. 3, 2023, the woman was pronounced dead at 6 a.m. after an employee identified as Staff C said that she "did not feel a pulse" and found the "resident was not breathing at that time."

The staff member notified a licensed practical nurse. The woman's family was alerted and a local funeral home was called.

A funeral director arrived shortly after 7:30 a.m., and with the assistance of another nurse, identified as "LPN D," the resident was placed in a body bag which was zipped shut. The funeral director left the facility shortly afterward. At 8:26 a.m., employees at Ankeny Funeral Home and Crematory unzipped the bag.

They "observed (the resident's) chest moving and she gasped for air," the report states.

The funeral home then called 911 and the care facility. When EMS responded, they were able to record a pulse and breathing, but there was no eye movement and no verbal response.

That same day, the resident was returned to the care facility. She passed away early in the morning of Jan. 5, with her family at her side, the report said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-mistak ... 00875.html
(original: v)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/media/ro ... index.html
Roy Wood Jr., the comedian known for his role on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” will be the entertainer at the 2023 White House Correspondents’ Dinner, the association announced Thursday.

“It’s an honor to be a part of a long-running tradition of celebrating those members of the media, who work so hard to uncover the truth, and hold our government accountable,” Wood said in a statement. “It will be a great night that will go down in the history books, or not, depending on which state you live in.”

The annual dinner, which traditionally features a standup comedian who roasts the president and the press, is scheduled to take place on April 29. Last year’s event, the first held in person after a two-year hiatus, was headlined by then-“Daily Show” host Trevor Noah and featured President Biden delivering comedic remarks.

Tamara Keith, president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, said that Wood, who holds a degree in broadcast journalism, will bring “a journalistic eye to his comedy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... id-balogun
A nine-year-old boy from Pennsylvania who loves science and computer programming has become one of the youngest ever high school graduates, and he has already started accumulating some credits toward his college degree.

David Balogun recently received a diploma from Reach cyber charter school – based in his state’s capital of Harrisburg – after taking classes remotely from his family home in the Philadelphia suburb of Bensalem, the local television station WGAL reported Saturday.

The achievement makes David one of the youngest known children to ever graduate high school, according to a list compiled by the history and culture website oldest.org.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

I like to hunt for treasure in the Goodwill stores and you can find some really cool stuff there sometimes. Yesterday I found a very strange looking wooden chair. It must weigh 40 lbs if it weighs an ounce. It has brass work all over it that looks as though it was all hand applied with bitty little brass nails. I tried to find something like it on the Internet but got nothing. Anyone ever seen anything like this? :confuzzled: I paid $4.99 for it
Front.JPG
Front.JPG (52.21 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Brass work.jpeg
Brass work.jpeg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Legs.jpeg
Legs.jpeg (63.34 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Back.jpeg
Back.jpeg (127.81 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Off Topic
Please excuse the condition of this room, it's known as the Dog room. The half where the chair is use to be a porch and the back half where my Mister is trying to rebuild his chain saw was the old kitchen. Now we feed our 5 children in there (2 dogs & 3 cats) and do projects of all sorts so it pretty much always looks a mess.
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

Wow, that's a really interesting chair. I don't believe I've seen anything like it.

In other news, natural selection at work?
Valley Metro @valleymetro wrote: Hey @Eagles fans! DO NOT... we repeat... DO NOT CLIMB THE POLES ON THE LIGHT RAIL 🚈 STATIONS. Climbing on our stations is trespassing, not to mention the catenary wires will electrocute you. You will be a fried Eagle.
Grace Del Pizzo @GraceDelPizzo wrote: Hey #Eagles fans, if you’re visiting #Phoenix for #SuperBowlLVII and you want to know everything about the city’s light poles juuust in case… I GOT YOU😎

#FlyEaglesFly #ItsAPhillyThing
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

What a crazy story.
Saint Zoe 🇺🇸🇭🇹 @Jupinapapi3 wrote: So a man took a paternity test on his daughter and he wasn’t the father. The mom swears she never cheated and the test had to be wrong. She can’t convince him so she also took a test. Turns out she wasn’t the mom either. Now they’re suing the hospital because they switched babies
The update is that they settled with the hospital for $2M, their bio child was found in foster care, and they are now in the process of adopting that child. And keeping the non-bio child.
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

There was a story a few years ago about a mother who failed a maternity test on her child, causing all sorts of problems. Luckily she had the obstetrician or pediatrician on hand who swore that he had seen the baby pop out of her and it was absolutely definitely hers. After a lot of "genetic tests don't lie!" arguments it was discovered that the mother was chimeral: whenshe was conceived two fertilized egg cells (or small clumps of cells) had merged and happily developed into one baby, so parts of her were from one egg, parts from another, with related but different genetics. Chimeral people can have serious health problems, especially if the two contributing cell lines are of different sexes, and can be visible if skin tones or hair color differ markedly, but her two genotypes/phenotypes were similar enough not to be noticed. But her child was from an ovary from one cell line while the generic tests sampled the other, hence the mismatch.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:20 am I like to hunt for treasure in the Goodwill stores and you can find some really cool stuff there sometimes. Yesterday I found a very strange looking wooden chair. It must weigh 40 lbs if it weighs an ounce. It has brass work all over it that looks as though it was all hand applied with bitty little brass nails. I tried to find something like it on the Internet but got nothing. Anyone ever seen anything like this? :confuzzled: I paid $4.99 for it

Front .JPG

Brass work. jpeg

Legs. jpeg

Back. jpeg
Off the cuff, I'd say it was some woodworkers folly. Kind cool.

First thought was that it might have been some ritual throne for a club like the Masons or something, but there dont seem to be any symbols, just decorations. maybe Amish? Old homesteader with too much time on his hands? presentation piece from congregation to beloved pastor?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

keith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:49 pm First thought was that it might have been some ritual throne for a club like the Masons or something, but there dont seem to be any symbols, just decorations. maybe Amish? Old homesteader with too much time on his hands?
Definitely not Amish. Their style can be decorative, but never decorated.
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:53 pm
keith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:49 pm First thought was that it might have been some ritual throne for a club like the Masons or something, but there dont seem to be any symbols, just decorations. maybe Amish? Old homesteader with too much time on his hands?
My impression was something with Mexican influence, sturdy, possibly off a ranch.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

Whatever the origin, that chair is a steal for $5.00 :)
MsDaisy
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy »

It's to heavy to lug around so I took a photo and went to one of our local antique shops and asked about it, the guy I spoke to said it was not an American piece but likely European and had nothing further to add. But yea, it's a cool chair for 5 bucks., Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with the damn thing. :lol:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I agree undoubtedly not Amish, and I also thought Mexican. So since the antique dealer thought European, maybe Spanish or Portuguese?
Patagoniagirl

Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:25 pm

Yeah, I agree undoubtedly not Amish, and I also thought Mexican. So since the antique dealer thought European, maybe Spanish or Portuguese?
I agree, Andy.
raison de arizona

Hijack This Thread

Return to “General Stuff”