Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Racism back in fashion, did it ever fade?

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

roadscholar wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:01 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:34 pm Not racism (maybe underlying though) but a mental health problem - imho.
Why not both? :think:
I'm going with both, and possibly low intelligence.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

He told a gas-station customer, ‘I don’t serve Black people.’ What his Idaho employer did

Mon, January 30, 2023 at 7:50 PM GMT+1

A jury has awarded an Oregon woman $1 million in damages after finding she was discriminated against by an employee of an Idaho-based gas-station operator who told her, “I don’t serve Black people.”

The Multnomah County jury’s award to Portland resident Rose Wakefield, 63, included punitive damages of $550,000.

Wakefield’s lawyer, Gregory Kafoury, said she stopped for gas at Jacksons Food Store in Beaverton, Oregon, on March 12, 2020, and saw the attendant, Nigel Powers, ignore her and instead pump gas for other drivers.

When she tried to ask for assistance he said, “I’ll get to you when I feel like it,” according to Kafoury.

Attendants are required to pump fuel for motorists at gas stations in Oregon’s larger population centers including Portland and the nearby suburb of Beaverton.

Surveillance video showed Wakefield go inside to ask for help. Another employee followed her back outside to pump her gas. Kafoury said as she was leaving, Wakefield asked Powers why he refused to help her and that he said, “I don’t serve Black people.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/told-gas-sta ... 20204.html
(original: Idaho Statesman)
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

For some it will never fade.... :evil:

Ohio’s education department is investigating a White supremacist homeschooling network that shares Nazi-related resources
The Ohio Department of Education is investigating an online homeschooling network after reports of parents sharing messages of White supremacy as educational resources, according to a state education official with knowledge of the review.

But there is likely little the state can do to change the curriculum, and using and sharing such curriculum does not violate state law.

The review is one of “compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements,” the official said. Under Ohio law, the state’s Department of Education does not review or approve home school curriculum.

The homeschooling group has more than 3,000 subscribers and shares content and lesson plans through a social media messaging platform. They share “primarily resources for curriculum recommendations for elementary aged children,” the group’s very first message reads.

“We have fought hard for our right to homeschool the children,” one post from December reads. “Without homeschooling the children, our children are left defenseless to the schools and the Gay Afro Zionist scum that run them.”

Another post with a “Thanksgiving copywork” assignment showed pages of handwritten Hitler quotes.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/02/us/ohio- ... index.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Only in MS’: Lawmakers vote to create white-appointed court system for Blackest city in US

Bobby Harrison and Adam Ganucheau
Wed, February 8, 2023 at 9:33 PM GMT+1

A white supermajority of the Mississippi House voted after an intense, four-plus hour debate to create a separate court system and an expanded police force within the city of Jackson — the Blackest city in America — that would be appointed completely by white state officials.

If House Bill 1020 becomes law later this session, the white chief justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court would appoint two judges to oversee a new district within the city — one that includes all of the city’s majority-white neighborhoods, among other areas. The white state attorney general would appoint four prosecutors, a court clerk, and four public defenders for the new district. The white state public safety commissioner would oversee an expanded Capitol Police force, run currently by a white chief.

The appointments by state officials would occur in lieu of judges and prosecutors being elected by the local residents of Jackson and Hinds County — as is the case in every other municipality and county in the state.

Mississippi’s capital city is 80% Black and home to a higher percentage of Black residents than any major American city. Mississippi’s Legislature is thoroughly controlled by white Republicans, who have redrawn districts over the past 30 years to ensure they can pass any bill without a single Democratic vote. Every legislative Republican is white, and most Democrats are Black.

After thorough and passionate dissent from Black members of the House, the bill passed 76-38 Tuesday primarily along party lines. Two Black member of the House — Rep. Cedric Burnett, a Democrat from Tunica, and Angela Cockerham, an independent from Magnolia — voted for the measure. All but one lawmaker representing the city of Jackson — Rep. Shanda Yates, a white independent — opposed the bill.

“Only in Mississippi would we have a bill like this … where we say solving the problem requires removing the vote from Black people,” Rep. Ed Blackmon, a Democrat from Canton, said while pleading with his colleagues to oppose the measure.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/only-ms-lawm ... 31152.html
(original: Biloxi Sun Herald)
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

White Neighbors Try to Drive Out Black Ranchers by Slaying Their Livestock

Kalyn Womack
Tue, February 7, 2023 at 4:11 PM GMT+1

What in the American Horror Story do we have here? A Black Colorado family recently repaired their ranch following some flood damage, only for their white neighbors to terrorize both them and their livestock. According to 9News, however, their complaints about the stalking and harassment actually backfired on them.

Courtney W. Mallery and his wife Nicole own the Freedom Acres Ranch, a 1,000-acre plot of land with a range of goats, pigs, chickens and every good thing a farm should have. Then, in 2020, they began waking up to beheaded, butchered and missing animals. Graphic images shared with Ark Republic showed baby goats that were allegedly poisoned and a cow with its insides spilling on the ground.

The Mallerys claim their white neighbors are to blame for these heinous acts, which are also possibly racially motivated. And if that’s the case, their neighbors didn’t stop at the animals: they also allegedly tried to kill and butcher the couple as well.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/white-n ... 30743.html
(original: The Root)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:49 am
‘Only in MS’: Lawmakers vote to create white-appointed court system for Blackest city in US

Bobby Harrison and Adam Ganucheau
Wed, February 8, 2023 at 9:33 PM GMT+1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/only-ms-lawm ... 31152.html
(original: Biloxi Sun Herald)
Quoting Nina - Mississippi God Damn!

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/legisl ... dcd53.html
A hearing on gun legislation elicited accusations of racism when a representative of a pro-gun organization suggested the inclusion of Black male children skews the data on deaths from firearms.

Kevin Lorusso, who was testifying on behalf of Rocky Mountain Gun Owners in a hearing Monday, sought to make the point that removing Black males from statistics on gun deaths among children would yield a "true" picture of the situation.

"If you remove Black males in that age group from that group, it is not true," he said. "That is a symptom of a different issue. The issue that is causing young Black males to be killed in their homes, on their streets, is a very different issue."

Lorusso offered the suggestion during an exchange with Rep. Kyle Brown, D-Louisville, who had noted a New England Journal of Medicine article, which cited the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and reported that firearms have become the leading cause of death for children.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:49 am

commented by

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I'm so glad some guy from TX can "fix" us so easily. Too bad he gets so many of his "facts" wrong. I do agree that MS Today is a great news organization though.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... -the-brain
How Racism Affects the Brain
Experiencing racism could trigger changes in the brain's white matter.

KEY POINTS
Racism takes a long-term toll on the mental and physical health of its victims.
Experiencing racism changes the structure of white matter in the brain, new research suggests.
Changes in the brain from the cumulative effects of racism affect the stress regulatory system and can lead to damaging behavioral choices.

Like sexual assault, bullying, and other violent or traumatic experiences, racial discrimination takes a long-term toll on its victim’s mental health. A new study from Emory University’s Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences explains just how the stress of racism changes the brain and increases an individual’s risk of medical issues such as asthma, diabetes, and chronic pain.

The findings of this study go beyond the growing body of evidence that racism harms the health and overall well-being of the victim. This study describes what actually happens to the structure of white matter in the brains of those who experience racism and discrimination.

White matter takes up half the area of the brain and is made up of nerve cells and fibers that facilitate the transmission of information and communication from one region of the brain to another. It is called white matter because the myelin sheath that surrounds and protects nerve fiber bundles gives the tissue a white color. Damage to white matter stresses nerve cells and is associated with dementia, cognitive decline, and problems with memory, balance, mobility, and emotional regulation. Numerous studies have already established that racist experiences disrupt white matter in the brains of victims.

Using the results of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans from 79 African American and Black women, the Emory researchers analyzed specific nerve tracts, or bundles, that connect different regions of the brain. They found changes in these nerve tracts that were identified as a faulty brain mechanism potentially resulting in poor health outcomes.

Women who reported more racial discrimination appeared to have more severe structural disruptions in their white matter tracts than those who experienced less discrimination in their lives. The nerve tracts analyzed in this study are associated with emotional regulation and cognitive processing. The researchers theorize that racial stress, trauma, and discrimination affect brain white matter through the stress regulatory system, and can lead to behavior changes that increase risky activities, such as substance abuse and overeating.

In previous studies, the effects of racial discrimination in early childhood, both direct and indirect, have been shown to have a profoundly negative effect on a child’s social and emotional development, and lasting implications on their mental and physical health as they age. Besides any racism directly experienced by children, racism that has worsened the health of parents, family members, and others in a child’s environment can also have a direct negative impact on the child’s socioemotional health and development. In other words, the stress of experiencing racism on a mother or father can lead to damaging parenting choices and behaviors that have a severe negative effect on the mental and physical well-being of their infants and children.

There is also emerging scientific evidence likening the cognitive, emotional, and behavioral symptoms of racial trauma to those of post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD), most often experienced by war veterans; victims of physical, sexual, or other types of abuse; and others who have gone through serious life disasters, such as accidents. The more studies performed on the effects of the cumulative and ongoing practice of racial discrimination on people of color, the more researchers will be able to develop appropriate assessment tools and recommend treatments geared specifically to the trauma and health outcomes of experienced racism.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

TX gov Abbott promises to sign this legislation that makes it illegal to be Chinese and own property in Texas.

bill_g

Post by bill_g »

(xpost from History)

Yesterday in History thousands of American Nazis gathered as Madison Square Garden to celebrate our Founders complete with George Washington flanked by swatikas.

Extended version at YT

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Seattle becomes first US city to ban caste-based discrimination
Provision comes amid calls for change from South Asian diaspora communities but faces opposition from some Hindu Americans

Associated Press
Wed 22 Feb 2023 01.04 GMT

Seattle has become the first city in the US to ban caste-based discrimination, after council members voted on Tuesday to add the provision to the city’s anti-bias laws.

Calls to outlaw discrimination based on caste, a division of people based on birth or descent, have grown louder among South Asian diaspora communities. Proponents of the ordinance, which was approved by a 6-1 vote, say without such laws, those facing caste discrimination in the US will have no protections.

But the move is also contentious, and has seen opposition from some Hindu Americans who argue that such legislation maligns a community that is already the target of prejudice.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... rimination
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

A shining example of American Racist behavior. Pretty awful.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

And a shining display of Americas unlimited 1st Amendment rights to accost anyone for anything how unrelated that is.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

:shock: What the heck was that? Some juvenile "challenge" from TikTok or wherever?

To our friends not from the USA, that display was not representative of our country. :cantlook: Okay, maybe in some places but not in a major metro area where this performance was recorded.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

You could add the anti-abortion protesters to the list that get to hassle patients entering and leaving hospitals, as well as hospital staff, doctors and nurses, get harassed at home at any time of day.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I did a little bit of quick research. I am pretty sure this is the same group that dropped the antisemitic flyers in my neighborhood. I took a photo of the one from my driveway and posted it on Fogbow last year. It was early morning when I found mine and I saw they were littered all over the neighborhood. I went around and picked up all the ones I could find, I thought if some of my neighbors saw them they would gladly join the group, as those flyers were intended to recruit new members.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Lani

Post by Lani »

We are dropping the Dilbert comic strip because of creator Scott Adams’ racist rant: Letter from the Editor
https://www.cleveland.com/news/2023/02/ ... ce=twitter
Scott Adams, creator of the Dilbert comic strip, went on a racist rant this week on his Coffee with Scott Adams online video show, and we will no longer carry his comic strip in The Plain Dealer.

This is not a difficult decision.

Adams said Black people are a hate group, citing a recent Rasmussen survey which, he said, shows nearly half of all Black people do not agree with the phrase “It’s okay to be white.”

“I would say, based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people,” he says in the video.

He says a lot more in the video, mostly hateful and racist, all viewable on Youtube. It’s a staggering string of statements, all but certain to result in the loss of his livelihood. I hate to quote him at all, but I do so to dissuade responses that this is a “cancel culture” decision.

No, this is a decision based on the principles of this news organization and the community we serve. We are not a home for those who espouse racism. We certainly do not want to provide them with financial support.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Good for them. :stamp:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I never found the Dilbert comics entertaining anyway. Good riddance. :violin:
Off Topic
And speaking of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, I think they are down to only publishing a print edition three days/week. There is not much going on in old c-town unless one is working or affiliated with the medical community.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

More and more newspapers are dropping Dilbert. I wonder if any will be left in a month.

‘Dilbert’ Dropped by Washington Post, LA Times as More Papers Condemn Scott Adams’ Racist Rant
The number of newspapers dropping “Dilbert” from their comic strip sections kept rising on Saturday as The Washington Post and The Los Angeles Times both announced that they will no longer print the strip following cartoonist Scott Adams’ racist rant in a YouTube live stream this past Wednesday.

“The Comics pages should be a place where our readers can engage with societal issues, reflect on the human condition, and enjoy a few laughs. We intend to maintain that tradition in a way that is welcoming to all readers,” the LA Times said in a statement.

“Dilbert” will run for the final time in the Post and the LA Times on Sunday as the Sunday comics sections are usually printed in advance. The two major newspapers join a list of publications cutting “Dilbert” that includes The Boston Globe, the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, and the USA Today network, which operates over 300 local newspapers including the Arizona Republic, Cincinnati Enquirer, Detroit Free Press, Indianapolis Star, Austin American-Statesman and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
:snippity:
But as the number of newspapers running “Dilbert” plummeted, Adams acknowledged on his livestream that he had done possibly irreparable harm to his career.

“Most of my income will be gone by next week,” he said. “My reputation for the rest of my life is destroyed. You can’t come back from this, am I right? There’s no way you can come back from this.”

Edited to add - FAFO.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

“Most of my income will be gone by next week,” he said. “My reputation for the rest of my life is destroyed. You can’t come back from this, am I right? There’s no way you can come back from this.”
And you knew that when you opened your nasty mouth. You knew what would happen.

:violin: :crying:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

It's like he wants to ride it out for a bit and then do a comeback tour with Louis CK.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Oh, noes, Scott Adams is a victim of....Scott Adams' proudly expressed racism. :violin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Current Politics”