Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Another Shooting

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Another Shooting

Post by bill_g »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:25 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:15 am
Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:03 pm CNN has been reporting on that all day. Kudos to all the reporters actually pronouncing Yakima correctly. It's not easy for an East Coaster.
Imagine if the shooting happened in Snoqualmie.
Off Topic
Or Issaquah, Puyallup or Sequim :biggrin:
Definitely. Even Willamette pains the English speaking tongue.
RVInit

Another Shooting

Post by RVInit »

:fingerwag: Natchitoches takes the cake on this one.

Pronounced Nak-o-dish, some say it's Nak-o-tish but most make it sound more like a d in the 3rd syllable..
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

RVInit wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:16 pm :fingerwag: Natchitoches takes the cake on this one.

Pronounced Nak-o-dish, some say it's Nak-o-tish but most make it sound more like a d in the 3rd syllable..
Oh dear, and here I've been reading it as Natch-a-TOH-cheez all these years...
somerset

Another Shooting

Post by somerset »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:05 pm Seven people were shot to death on Monday afternoon in San Mateo County, Calif., the sheriff’s office said, the second mass shooting in the state in three days.

The shooting happened around 2:20 p.m. local time at two separate locations near Highway 92 and the Half Moon Bay city limits, about 30 miles south of San Francisco, the authorities said. Another person was transported to Stanford Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

A suspect, Zhao Chunli, 67, of Half Moon Bay, was found in his car in the parking lot of a sheriff’s office substation in Half Moon Bay, the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office said.

“Chunli was taken into custody without incident and the weapon was located in his vehicle,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement. “There is no current outstanding threat to the community.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/23/us/s ... 595e2e6e66
A little more background on the motive and worker's conditions:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/01/26/ ... nt=curated

As a clearer motive emerged on Thursday, the state’s labor watchdog agencies announced investigations into working conditions at the farms, which have become a focus of attention in the wake of the shootings.

Chunli Zhao, 66, apparently had enough with his purported mistreatment Monday and responded by fatally shooting four people and wounding another at California Terra Garden farm, where he worked. He then drove three miles south to Concord Farms — which once employed him — and killed three more farmworkers.

In the television report, which recounted an off-camera, Mandarin language interview with Zhao, he reportedly admitted to the shootings and described being fed up with long hours at the farm and bullying by his co-workers. The law enforcement source who spoke to this news organization said the final straw might have been an insult about his “diminutive” size, which occurred not long before the shootings.

Elected officials decried the apparent squalor in which Zhao and his colleagues lived and worked. County Supervisor Ray Mueller toured California Terra Garden on Thursday and called the living conditions “deplorable” and “heartbreaking.” “No running water. Outdoor stoves to cook,” Mueller wrote in remarks accompanying photos he posted on Twitter. “I spoke with one farm worker today who said she slept with flood waters from the storms on the floor in her unit.”
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Another Shooting

Post by Ben-Prime »

Off Topic
Kendra wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:25 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:15 am
Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:03 pm CNN has been reporting on that all day. Kudos to all the reporters actually pronouncing Yakima correctly. It's not easy for an East Coaster.
Imagine if the shooting happened in Snoqualmie.
Off Topic
Or Issaquah, Puyallup or Sequim :biggrin:
The former Mrs Prime was from Sequim. When our friends leaned into mispronouncing it, she would make exaggerated mad scrunchy faces and threaten to murdalize them and then would do something to placate her, and all was good. It was kind of endearing, really. One of the many little happy cute things I miss about my former marriage.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Another Shooting

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:26 pm
RVInit wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:16 pm :fingerwag: Natchitoches takes the cake on this one.

Off Topic
There is a Nacogdoches, Texas about 100 miles west that's pronounced like that. Even TX and LA residents get confused about which is which. Gautier and Saucier aren't pronounced the same either.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Another Shooting

Post by keith »

Me too, pretty much, on the assumption it was a Spanish tranliteration from some 1st Nations language or other.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
p0rtia

Another Shooting

Post by p0rtia »

Okay, here's my entry:

Schaghticoke, which has an excellent County Fair every summer in upstate NY.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Another Shooting

Post by raison de arizona »

Ajo, AZ.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
somerset

Another Shooting

Post by somerset »

:hijacked:
keith

Another Shooting

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:02 pm Ajo, AZ.
I don't think that's too hard. But then I lived less than a mile from Ajo Way (State Route 86) in Tucson and anyway I am excellent at Spanish pronunciation (with a Mexican accent, of course). I suppose hardcore whiteytighties might try to pronounce it as "Garlic, Az"

My entry would be Sault Ste. Marie, MI
keith

Another Shooting

Post by keith »

somerset wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:50 pm:hijacked:
It's just a distraction from despair.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:07 pm

Off Topic
There is a Nacogdoches, Texas about 100 miles west that's pronounced like that. Even TX and LA residents get confused about which is which. Gautier and Saucier aren't pronounced the same either.
Interesting! At least I'm not a completely ignorant loon, then :)
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

Police say 3 dead, 4 hurt in latest California shooting

https://apnews.com/article/crime-califo ... cfb48a3f66
Three people were killed and four others were wounded in a shooting at a short-term rental home in California area early Saturday morning, police said.

The shooting occurred about 2:30 a.m. in Beverly Crest, an upscale Los Angeles neighborhood.

Sgt. Frank Preciado of the Los Angeles Police Department said earlier Saturday that the three people who were killed were inside a vehicle.

Two of the four other victims were taken in private vehicles to area hospitals and two others were transported by ambulance, police spokesperson Sgt. Bruce Borihanh said.

Two were in critical condition and two were in stable condition, Borihanh said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

In the case where a kid shot a teacher
Virginia school warned before child shot teacher, lawyer says; superintendent fired

Tyler Clifford
Wed, January 25, 2023 at 8:05 PM GMT+1

(Reuters) -Authorities at a Virginia school were warned three times that a first grader had a gun before he shot and wounded his teacher, her lawyer said on Wednesday, while the school board voted to oust the superintendent.

Abigail Zwerner, 25, was "shot purposely" in front of other students at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News earlier this month after administrators ignored warnings the 6-year-old student posed a threat, lawyer Diane Toscano said at a press conference.

The warnings were made over three hours on the day of the shooting, according to Toscano, who said she planned to file a lawsuit against the Newport News School District on behalf of Zwerner.

"This tragedy was entirely preventable if the school administrator responsible for school safety had done their part and taken action when they had knowledge of imminent danger," said Toscano. She did not say what damages she would seek on behalf of the teacher, who was wounded in the chest.

At a special meeting Wednesday evening, the school board voted 5-to-1 to relieve Superintendent George Parker of his duties with severance. Parker came under pressure after saying that at least one administrator was aware the boy may have had a gun on the day of the shooting.

After the vote, Chairwoman Lisa Surles-Law said the decision to terminate was made without cause as defined in Parker's contract.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-sch ... 25889.html
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Half Moon Bay shooting: Killing of 7 at California farms sparked over $100 repair bill, DA says

Stephen Sorace
Sun, January 29, 2023 at 2:41 PM GMT+1

The 66-year-old farmworker accused of killing seven people at two mushroom farms in Half Moon Bay, California, is believed to have carried out the shootings over a $100 repair bill for farm equipment, officials said Friday.

Chunli Zhao met with his supervisor about the bill on Monday, blaming his co-worker for the damage to a forklift that Zhao was driving when it collided with the co-worker’s bulldozer, San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said. However, the supervisor insisted that Zhao pay the bill.

Zhao then allegedly shot and killed the supervisor, two co-workers and the wife of one of the victims at Terra Garden. A fifth co-worker was wounded. He then went to nearby Concord Farms, where he had worked previously, and fatally shot three former co-workers, authorities have said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/half-moon-ba ... 31712.html
(original: Fox News)
andersweinstein

Another Shooting

Post by andersweinstein »

Charges have now been filed in the Rust shooting. Statement of probable cause for Baldwin:
https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/23593006/alec-baldwin-probable-cause-statement.pdf

And for Hannah Gutierrez-Reed:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23593020-hannah-gutierrez-reed-probable-cause-statement
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Sadly, though I believe Baldwin shares some degree of responsibility, the hype is to go at him and not after whomever brought live ammo onto the set. Does Alec have the expertise to discern a live bullet from a blank upon visual inspection? Is that skill set in his job description?

But Alec has the deep $$ pockets, so the coming civil case(s) will target him.
andersweinstein

Another Shooting

Post by andersweinstein »

neonzx wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:24 am Sadly, though I believe Baldwin shares some degree of responsibility, the hype is to go at him and not after whomever brought live ammo onto the set. Does Alec have the expertise to discern a live bullet from a blank upon visual inspection? Is that skill set in his job description?
In his police interview he showed off his knowledge of the types of ammo used in filming with firearms. So, in fact he probably did know how to distinguish dummy rounds (not blanks in this case) from live ammo.

But this fact is irrelevant to the charges. According to the charging document, the standard protocol is for the armorer to load the gun in front of him and show him that each round is a dummy. The charges seems to be based on the idea that he had a duty to demand to have it demonstrated to him that it was indeed a "cold gun" before taking the risk of pointing the gun at a human being and pressing the trigger, simply because of basic rules of gun safety which he was instructed in and expected to observe even in his role as an actor.

Another way I have seen of making this point: given his information, do you think he would have willingly pointed the weapon at his own head and pulled the trigger without asking to be shown that it was indeed "cold"? But he was creating the same risk to another person, and ignored that risk.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Another Shooting

Post by neonzx »

Okay, I will take your word for it. I've not followed the details closely.

If "Rust" is ever is released, I will not watch it.

Never watched "The Crow" either or whatever it was called.
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Note: we have a separate thread on this

Rust at viewtopic.php?t=1953
sad-cafe

Another Shooting

Post by sad-cafe »

I can't find my day in the life of a teacher thread...

Our school got swatted today.

I missed it. I had to go home after 4 classes due to uncontrollable vomiting.
Volkonski
Verified:

Another Shooting

Post by Volkonski »

sad-cafe wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:46 pm I can't find my day in the life of a teacher thread...

Our school got swatted today.

I missed it. I had to go home after 4 classes due to uncontrollable vomiting.
Swatted? :eek:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

Bodycam footage shows arrest of self-proclaimed ‘Chief of Tokyo’ for shooting at Ohio Asian grocery

Carl Samson
Thu, February 2, 2023 at 10:04 PM GMT+1

The Cincinnati man accused of firing multiple rounds at an Asian grocery store in Evendale, Ohio, made bizarre claims at the time of his arrest, newly released police bodycam footage shows.

Daniel Beckjord, 33, allegedly targeted the front windows of Tokyo Foods at around 6:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 22. While shooting, he allegedly claimed that he was the “president of Tokyo” and that the business was “not in compliance.”

No one was injured at the store, but the incident terrified nine patrons at the adjacent Uncle Yip’s restaurant. Some reportedly locked themselves in the bathroom.

Beckjord was still holding a .40 caliber Glock handgun when deputies arrived to arrest him.

https://news.yahoo.com/bodycam-footage- ... 18236.html
(original: NextShark)
RTH10260

Another Shooting

Post by RTH10260 »

A Man Who Allegedly Shot An Unarmed Black Airbnb Guest Who Was Crossing The Street Said “Oh, You Think You Can Run?” Before Firing His Weapon

Stephanie K. Baer
Sat, February 4, 2023 at 2:18 AM GMT+1

A California man who allegedly shot a 21-year-old unarmed Black man who was crossing the street told him, “Oh, you think you can run?” before firing his weapon and striking the young man in the back of his leg, officials said Friday.

During a preliminary hearing, San Jose police Det. Jessica Lindenberg testified that the victim, who survived the shooting, told her in an interview that he was staying at an Airbnb across the street from 67-year-old Mark Waters’s home on Oct. 2, 2022, when he left the rental to go to a nearby Safeway for food around 11 p.m. As he was crossing the street to get onto the sidewalk, the victim, identified as El’hajj Bullock, said he saw Waters exit his house with a gun in his hand.

“[Bullock] believed in that moment that he was being robbed,” Lindenberg said, adding that Bullock said he put his hands up to show they were empty “and said something along the lines of, ‘I don’t have anything.’”

Lindenberg testified that Bullock said Waters then pulled the gun up and pointed it at his chest. At that point, Bullock turned around and started to run away from Waters.

As he was running, Bullock said, he heard Waters say, “Oh, you think you can run?,” heard the sound of a gunshot, and then fell to the ground as he felt pain in his right leg.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-allegedl ... 45277.html
(original: BuzzFeed News)

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”