Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2024: California Senate (Feinstein's seat)

bob

Post by bob »

The Hill: Porter rakes in $1.3M in first 24 hours of Senate bid:
Rep. Katie Porter (D-Calif.) raked in more than $1 million in the 24-hour stretch since she launched her bid for Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s (D-Calif.) seat, her campaign said.

Porter, who became the first candidate to jump into the race when she announced her bid on Monday, raised $1.3 million in the first day of her campaign, pulling in an average donation of $38.23, according to her campaign.
Politico: Barbara Lee tells lawmakers she's running for Senate:
Lee told Democrats the day after Rep. Katie Porter officially announced a bid for the seat, though Sen. Dianne Feinstein remains noncommittal on her future plans.

Rep. Barbara Lee has told her fellow lawmakers she’s running for Senate in California, according to two sources familiar with the situation.

She informed her colleagues in a closed-door Congressional Black Caucus meeting on Wednesday.
Feinstein has not officially said she's not running, but the conventional wisdom says she's not winning. (Feinstein will turn 90 this year.)

There's speculation that Schiff also intends to run. And if he doesn't have any committee assignments....

If Feinstein retires early, Newsom's appointment will be valuable indeed.
Image ImageImage
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Any hints who Feinstein supports?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Kyle Griffin :verified:
@kylegriffin1@twtr.plus
Sen. Elizabeth Warren has endorsed Rep. Katie Porter's U.S. Senate bid.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Can't remember her name, but I think another legislator from California put her name in yesterday. She's a black woman. Sorry. I've been out all day; just got in. I think Swallwell has an interest, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:44 pm Can't remember her name, but I think another legislator from California put her name in yesterday. She's a black woman. Sorry. I've been out all day; just got in. I think Swallwell has an interest, too.
Barbara Lee.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:46 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:44 pm Can't remember her name, but I think another legislator from California put her name in yesterday. She's a black woman. Sorry. I've been out all day; just got in. I think Swallwell has an interest, too.
Barbara Lee.
Thank you!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ro Khanna says he’s looking at the Senate. His allies are talking about the White House.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/1 ... e-00077672
Rep. Ro Khanna said on Wednesday that he’s weighing a Senate bid in California.

But recent moves have sparked a new round of speculation among Democrats in several key states that the California congressman continues to have his eye on a higher office.

Khanna has retained consultants who are veterans of New Hampshire’s primary and Nevada’s. He paid one Iowa firm as well, before the Democratic National Committee made plans to revoke the state’s first-in-the-nation status. He’s also begun to more forcefully draw contrasts with potential political rivals, chief among them transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.

Those close to Khanna say he’s keeping his options open ahead of a potential presidential run in 2028 or beyond. But others in his orbit are talking about an even more compressed timeline: running in 2024 if President Joe Biden decided not to.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Remember when someone said George Santos is from the third wealthiest congressional district in this great land of ours?

I believe Ro represents the wealthiest. Just sayin'. Silicon Valley.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:08 pm Remember when someone said George Santos is from the third wealthiest congressional district in this great land of ours?

I believe Ro represents the wealthiest. Just sayin'. Silicon Valley.
"Someone"???
viewtopic.php?p=165573#p165551

Forbes says NY-3 is actually no. 4, but I didn't look at the date.

Forbes says CA-17 is no. 1.
bob

Post by bob »

Khanna represents CA-17 (the wealthiest district in the nation), home to the headquarters of Apple, Intel, and many other companies.

Zoe Lofgren represents its neighbor, CA-18, the second wealthiest district.

Eric Swalwell represents nearby CA-14, the fifth wealthiest district.

Kevin Mullin represents nearby CA-15, the sixth wealthiest district.

And Pelosi represents nearby CA-12, the tenth wealthiest district.
Image ImageImage
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Sorta curious that most of the top 25 or so wealthy Congressional districts are represented by Democrats.

I wonder where ole Kevin's district of Kern, Tulare, and Kings Counties ranks. :boxing:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:05 pm Sorta curious that most of the top 25 or so wealthy Congressional districts are represented by Democrats.
Ya noticed that, didja? If you're in a poor rural district you resent that and blame the Democrats for doing...something.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

ALERT: Former US House Jan 6 Select Committee member Adam Schiff is running for US Senate in California
Just my $.02, but I'd wish DiFi would retire early and then the governor can appoint Schiff to the seat. Get him back on a committee or two.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Is Katie Porter unavailable? :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

When I heard that Porter had announced her run for the seat (when everyone was chastising her for announcing before DiFi had said she wouldn't run again), my thought was that she was stealing a march on Schiff, who had been reported to be interested in the seat for at least a couple of years.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

California has a good selection of people qualified to run for her office. How refreshing!
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Good. She certainly provided service above and beyond over the years, but it is (past) time for her to pass the torch. :bighug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I wish she would retire NOW. And let Schiff, Porter, or Lee run as an incumbent.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Wouldn't the governor appoint someone to fill her seat if she retired now (which she should)?
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:21 pm Wouldn't the governor appoint someone to fill her seat if she retired now (which she should)?
Governor calls a special election.
https://aelc.assembly.ca.gov/sites/aelc ... _84631.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:11 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:21 pm Wouldn't the governor appoint someone to fill her seat if she retired now (which she should)?
Thanks.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Senator Feinstein stayed too long at the fair, but I would have joined the cheering and agree with Senator Warren that all women that came after DiFi owe her a debt of gratitude for an incredible life of public service. After Harvey Milk, she could have left service, but she fought on and America is better for it.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) said at a press conference that Feinstein broke the news first to her colleagues in a "heartfelt, teary" address to the Senate Democratic Caucus lunch on Tuesday and received a "standing ovation that lasted minutes and minutes and minutes — one of the longest I've ever seen."

"We're all glad she'll be remaining with us in the Senate," he said. "She's a legend." Schumer later tweeted: "When she came to the Senate, there were only 2 women senators. Today there are 25 serving — all of whom stand in some small part on her shoulders."
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:
raison de arizona

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:11 pm
Actually I didn't read that close enough, looks like for the Senate the governor CAN make an appointment. And then it's filled in the manner decided by the legislature. Which I *think* is special election, but I'm no help here.

Return to “U.S. Senate”