Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Kevin McCarthy

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Ben-Prime »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:45 am
Gupwalla wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:16 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:36 pm I heard/read recently that he's the first republican in his family. I wonder where that came from?
I think I probably mentioned that on this forum. It’s from his Wikipedia article.

As for why he became a Republican - it probably had to do with him coming of age in the 80s.
Or being dropped on his head.
Maybe we should tell him that Alex P. Keaton would be ashamed of him.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Kevin McCarthy

Post by bob »

538: How Kevin McCarthy Could Lose The Election For Speaker Of The House:
Six Republicans have already come out against him, and several others share their very conservative, anti-establishment views.
SPOILER: He won't:
But all this doesn’t mean McCarthy is doomed. He may not have 218 votes right now, but there’s no obvious alternative to him, either. So the likeliest outcome may be that he wins the speakership after putting in a little elbow grease. According to Axios, McCarthy has been meeting with some of his detractors. And while four have told reporters that nothing will change their minds, the other two may be more malleable. Rep. Matt Rosendale told Puck News he would vote for McCarthy in “extreme circumstances,” which means that there are some circumstances in which he would vote for him. Meanwhile, Rep.-elect Mike Collins pledged to vote against McCarthy in September 2021 when he launched his campaign. His spokesperson has not responded to multiple inquiries about whether he will keep his promise.

McCarthy has another reason for optimism: Technically, he doesn’t even need 218 votes to become speaker. He needs only a majority of the votes cast for a named candidate. So if some members skip the vote or abstain (in House parlance, vote “present”), it would lower the number he needs to hit. Biggs, Rep. Matt Gaetz, Rep. Bob Good, Rep. Ralph Norman and Rosendale have all said they will not vote “present.” Still, that could be a way for them to not oppose McCarthy without saying they changed their mind. So McCarthy could win the speakership if three of his opponents (including Democrats!) skip the vote or vote “present,” assuming every other Republican votes for him.
The article's thesis is that, while Pelosi had her detractors, they were in competitive districts whose constituents saw her as too liberal; they had a self-preserving interest not to support her. Whereas McCarthy's detractors hail from very safe districts with constituents who see him as too liberal (that is, insufficiently conservative). So not an apt comparison.

Bonus:
As messy as these scenarios would be, they are still likelier than the Democratic dream scenario that some moderate Republicans would work with Democrats to elect a compromise candidate. The last time a majority party failed to elect a speaker was 1839, when Democrats held the House majority but party infighting led to the election of Whig Rep. Robert M.T. Hunter with bipartisan support.

The official nominee of the party that controls the House has won every speaker election since at least 1913, even when its majority was narrower than it is now. So it may not be smooth sailing, but Republicans will likely get their preferred speaker one way or another. Kevin McCarthy is just hoping it’s him.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Kevin McCarthy

Post by raison de arizona »

:roll:
Chad Pergram @ChadPergram wrote: McCarthy:
If we had President Trump, we wouldn’t have inflation
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

That's...not how this works.
https://twitter.com/ericareport/status/ ... 1348531200
Erica Marsh @ericareport wrote: BREAKING: Hakeem Jeffries is now in the LEAD to be the next House Speaker after 12 House GOP members announced their opposition to Kevin McCarthy's bid to become Speaker.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Kevin McCarthy

Post by tek »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:06 pm That's...not how this works.
but but I saw it on the Internet! It must be true!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Kevin McCarthy

Post by RTH10260 »

The retiree in FL said he will have a heroic announcement to make on Thursday. Will he offer to take the place of McCarthy ? :twisted:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Kevin McCarthy

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:35 pm The retiree in FL said he will have a heroic announcement to make on Thursday. Will he offer to take the place of McCarthy ? :twisted:
I have actually been wondering about that. Apparently, he has been trying to help push McCarthy on the back end, but if one of the far right told Trump how much they love him so he should run, Trump would dump McCarthy in an instant.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Kevin McCarthy

Post by pipistrelle »

the big announcement may have nothing to do with McCarthy. could be he's stepping aside heroically to let De Santis take over.

:twisted:
noblepa

Kevin McCarthy

Post by noblepa »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:21 pm the big announcement may have nothing to do with McCarthy. could be he's stepping aside heroically to let De Santis take over.

:twisted:
You forgot the sarcasm tag.

How would TFG say he was suspending his campaign?

"For the good of the Republican Party . . ."? No, he doesn't give a damn about the party.

"For the good of the country . . ."? No, he doesn't give a damn about the country.

"I've decided that Ron DeSantis is more qualified to be President than I am . . ."? Don't make me laugh.

"My presence in the campaign has polarized the country in a way that I, in good conscience, can not allow"? There is no evidence that he has a conscience.

"I'm a loser and I have no chance of winning in 2024"? So far from TFG's character its not even funny.
bob

Kevin McCarthy

Post by bob »

McCarthy has the usual sticks and carrots to get a majority of votes cast for Speaker. This literal outsider does not.

Running for, and then losing, the Speakership seems like too much risk, not enough reward. Something even a stable genius should be able to see.

Besides, his first act in office would be to appoint McCarthy as the Vice Speaker, to do the day-to-day actual cat herding.

Anyway, as some predicted, the MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT was just to peddle some NFTs. :yawn:
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Suranis »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:17 am Besides, his first act in office would be to appoint McCarthy as the Vice Speaker, to do the day-to-day actual cat herding.
Well ya, probably true... but that's the deal he did with Pense. And he wound up jamming his nose into everything. Because he would immediatly start thinking "Hang on, people are going to think McCarthy is a better speaker than me. People are going to thoink I cant be speaker. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO SEE I WOULD BE NO GOOD AT BIENG SPEAKER!!" so he would actually start trying to do it, and he would demand people march into his office and they would turn into 2 hour sessions where the person would be expected to offer non stop praise while Donald talks about himself. And anyone who Kevin calls to his office would immediatly be called to the GREATEST SPEAKERS office.

We went through 4 years of him failing to deligate the actual work to his Vice. You think him in the speaker chair would be any different? He literally would not be able to help himself./
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Kevin McCarthy

Post by bob »

That's not inconsistent, as none of that is actual day-to-day cat herding. That's just a veneer of (useless) showmanship.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Kevin McCarthy

Post by AndyinPA »

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/29/poli ... peaker-bid
House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy has offered a key concession to critics of his bid for the House speakership during private conversations this week: reducing the threshold that is required to force a floor vote on ousting the sitting speaker, according to six Republican sources familiar with the internal discussions.

McCarthy has been trying to find a compromise threshold that would appease his critics enough to earn their speaker vote, while still being palatable to the rest of the House GOP, and has been sounding out all corners of the conference in private phone calls this week.

One of the numbers that has come up in recent conversations between McCarthy and GOP lawmakers – and which has not been previously reported – is a five-person threshold, according to two of the Republican sources.

Currently, the majority of the House GOP is required to call for the so-called motion to vacate the speaker’s chair. But some conservative hardliners are pushing for a single member to be able to call for such a vote, which they see as an important mechanism to hold the speaker accountable.

A five-person threshold, however, may be too low for the moderate wing of the party, some of whom have privately suggested they would be willing to agree on a 50-person threshold.

And some of McCarthy’s fiercest critics, including Reps. Matt Gaetz of Florida and Ralph Norman of South Carolina, told CNN they see the five-person threshold as still too high, underscoring the significant challenge McCarthy faces as he works to lock down the speakership.
He has no shame. The last two GOP speakers quit in disgust. I doubt he would go there. He is perfectly capable of debasing himself to where no man has gone before.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Visions of Boehner smoking a cigar and laughing while driving his lawn mower danced in my head." :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

BREAKING: MeidasTouch co-founder Ben Meiselas executive produced this true crime thriller with Colin Kaepernick for Hulu exposing the shocking corruption, crime, and cover-up in Kevin McCarthy’s district in Bakersfield. Welcome to KILLING COUNTY!
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

Is this his "come here Nancy" face?

Edit: I guess someone at the GOP agreed.
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

Kevin McCarthy wants to roll back same day voter registration to 30 days before an election and said “that’s plenty of time if you care about voting.”
tek

Kevin McCarthy

Post by tek »

back in 2016:
Here's Donald Trump's latest organizing embarrassment: Two of his adult children did not know they had to register as Republicans more than six months ago to vote in New York's April 19 Republican primary.

"They were, you know, unaware of the rules, and they didn't register in time, so they feel very, very guilty -- they feel very guilty," Trump said during a telephone interview with Fox News' "Fox and Friends" on Monday morning.
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

Well, they clearly didn't care about voting.
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

McCarthy's defense of George Santos is filibustering and whataboutism. Pathetic.
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

Wow. What a piece of slimy garbage. He makes used car salesmen look good.
tek

Kevin McCarthy

Post by tek »

I see the resemblance..
Joe-Isuzu.jpg
Joe-Isuzu.jpg (5.77 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Kendra

Kevin McCarthy

Post by Kendra »

Ashli Babbitt’s mother rips Kevin McCarthy for saying the officer who shot her was just doing his job: “We’ve known for quite some time that Kevin McCarthy is no friend of ours.”
raison de arizona

Kevin McCarthy

McCarthy is near Tuscon, I wonder if that is anywhere near Tucson? :confuzzled:
tek

Kevin McCarthy

Post by tek »

He's apparently at a sci-fi convention.

Makes some sense.

Return to “Current Politics”