Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The education system behaving badly

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: The education system behaving badly

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Some civil rights and union lawyers are going to be very busy suing Florida school districts this year.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:00 pm Effff....Efffff.....Efffff......Efffffff...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/desant ... nservative

DeSantis-backed candidates flip Florida school board from liberal to conservative

Several actually, including Sarasota and Miami.
Most of the Broward County School Board is likely about to be replaced, too. Broward County is as blue as Florida gets. But, alas, the BCSB got lazy and fairly corrupt and is now paying the price.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is really disappointed with the takeover of school boards by crazies.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/edu ... 0d302ab872
:boxing:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

I believe the bill mentioned above requires that the picture have "No other words, images, or language" other than "In God We Trust" and the state and national flags. So, no, unfortunately.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:33 pm I believe the bill mentioned above requires that the picture have "No other words, images, or language" other than "In God We Trust" and the state and national flags. So, no, unfortunately.
I guess Muslims could force a court case by insisting that Allah be mentioned rather than doG, whereafter all other religious groups can follow naming their version of deity.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:28 pm I guess Muslims could force a court case by insisting that Allah be mentioned rather than doG, whereafter all other religious groups can follow naming their version of deity.
I would really love to see this go through the court system. "In God We Trust' has always been a bad faith motto and should have gotten the government in trouble decades ago.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

neeneko wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:04 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:28 pm I guess Muslims could force a court case by insisting that Allah be mentioned rather than doG, whereafter all other religious groups can follow naming their version of deity.
I would really love to see this go through the court system. "In God We Trust' has always been a bad faith motto and should have gotten the government in trouble decades ago.
Did it not already go through the courts? My memory banks yet again may have glitches, but the insertion of "in God We Trust" was ruled by the Supreme Court to be okay because it lacked specificity of which "God", thus not a violation of the 1st endorsing any religion .
raison de arizona

neonzx wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:35 pm
neeneko wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:04 pm
Did it not already go through the courts? My memory banks yet again may have glitches, but the insertion of "in God We Trust" was ruled by the Supreme Court to be okay because it lacked specificity of which "God", thus not a violation of the 1st endorsing any religion .
tl;dr something something not a substantial burden
https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment/po ... titutional
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

The mental midget that is North Carolina's LT governor has lost his farkin' mind (some more):

He’s a full-on extremist. And he reportedly has a new, ludicrous belief to share with the masses: Science and history shouldn’t be taught to students until they reach sixth grade.

First through fifth grades "don’t need to be teaching social studies,” he wrote, according to local NBC affiliate WRAL-TV, which obtained an advanced copy of his upcoming book. “We don’t need to be teaching science. We surely don’t need to be talking about equity and social justice.”

https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/reido ... -rcna44386
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:17 pm Science and history shouldn’t be taught to students until they reach sixth grade.

First through fifth grades "don’t need to be teaching social studies,” he wrote, according to local NBC affiliate WRAL-TV, which obtained an advanced copy of his upcoming book. “We don’t need to be teaching science. We surely don’t need to be talking about equity and social justice.”[/i]
Sounds like my Catholic grade school, St. Agnes Academy. I had to go to the Andrew Carnegie funded public library to read that bloated dead dinosaurs turned into oil deposits. :mrgreen:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Mr. Gneiss wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:47 am
John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:17 pm Science and history shouldn’t be taught to students until they reach sixth grade.

First through fifth grades "don’t need to be teaching social studies,” he wrote, according to local NBC affiliate WRAL-TV, which obtained an advanced copy of his upcoming book. “We don’t need to be teaching science. We surely don’t need to be talking about equity and social justice.”[/i]
Sounds like my Catholic grade school, St. Agnes Academy. I had to go to the Andrew Carnegie funded public library to read that bloated dead dinosaurs turned into oil deposits. :mrgreen:
I went to Catholic school in Chattanooga, TN through the 8th grade. The nuns taught evolution. They taught the Old Testament as allegory (but Jesus was real). I learned about slave trade and the middle passage in the 6th grade - things that a lot of folks in the South never learned about.

And there was lots and lots of talk about social justice, feeding the poor, etc., so long as abortion wasn’t involved. Other than their stand on abortion, the nuns were fairly liberal.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:33 pm I believe the bill mentioned above requires that the picture have "No other words, images, or language" other than "In God We Trust" and the state and national flags. So, no, unfortunately.
Bummer.
North Texas school district rejects 'In God We Trust' signs in Arabic, rainbow
SB 797 states that Texas public schools must display a sign with "In God We Trust," if it's been received as a private donation.

:snippity:
https://abc13.com/texas-in-god-we-trust ... /12180627/
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:27 pm
Bummer.
SB 797 states that Texas public schools must display a sign with "In God We Trust," if it's been received as a private donation.

The folks in this picture are doing it the way they should be -- In God We Trust can be in various colors or languages, as I read the law, so long as the words and the flags are all that's on there.

raison de arizona

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:38 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:27 pm
Bummer.

The folks in this picture are doing it the way they should be -- In God We Trust can be in various colors or languages, as I read the law, so long as the words and the flags are all that's on there.
Huh, strange they were rejected then.
:sarcastic:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I have a submissions!

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona

St. Rita's School for the Deaf teacher on leave after accusations they threw a student to the ground

A teacher at St. Rita School for the Deaf is accused of throwing one of her students down on the ground and the incident was partially caught on camera.

The alleged incident happened on Tuesday, December 6th. The mother of the student wants the teacher fired and feels the Archdiocese of Cincinnati has downplayed what happened.

"No matter what way you watch it, it's very obvious that, that was a malicious act it wasn't an accidental," said Alexys Wells. "When I had first seen the video, I was so outraged that I had to take a minute. I was completely speechless, couldn't really focus on what I wanted to say."

The video shows a teacher picking up a 9-year-old student in the hallway, and then the student is on the ground. The video glitches during the part where the child is in the teacher's arms, then continues when the child is on the ground. Wells recorded the school's surveillance on her cell phone and then showed it to WCPO.

"She's completely non-verbal so the very first thing that she did was demonstrate what had happened with her teacher," said Wells, who said her daughter communicated the incident through ASL and re-enactment. "She just continuously was like 'my teacher threw me, my teacher threw me, my teacher threw me, she was angry, she threw me.'"
https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/ha ... the-ground
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

St Rita's is just down the road from Ford Sharonville. There was once a program to hire from there and we have several dozen employees who are graduates.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:37 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:23 pm Local school.
What is “1776 curriculum?” We stopped by a Peoria school teaching it to find out
The 1776 curriculum, which focuses on history and civics, was developed by Hillsdale College, a private Christian school in Michigan.

The 1776 curriculum got renewed attention this week when Republican gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake said she supported it. So what is it exactly? What does it involve? Arizona’s Family learned a school in Peoria uses it.

It’s called Candeo Peoria. The public charter school says its “mission is to grow wisdom and virtue for a life well lived.” A part of their liberal arts education includes the 1776 curriculum.

“It really lays out this prescribed knowledge that all Americans should know. Starting in their youngest years, in kindergarten and with that it includes key vocabulary, big ideas and questions, important dates, timelines,” Becky Palisuri, the Head of the School, said.

The 1776 curriculum, which focuses on history and civics, was developed by Hillsdale College, a private Christian school in Michigan. It
was partly inspired by what former President Trump called a “patriotic education.”
https://www.azfamily.com/2022/08/20/wha ... -find-out/
The same that our patriotic campers on The Mall iin DC have on their webpage as origin of all wisdom. :blackeye:
I just saw a TV ad for Hillsdale College's "Constitution 101" classes and remembered Hillsdale was mentioned here. The best part of the ad: the "threat" posed by the "bureaucratic state." They're free!
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
raison de arizona

raison de arizona

Winning.
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1655 ... 61313?s=20
NBC News @NBCNews wrote: NEW: Conservatives took over a Colorado school board, and then:

• Adopted a right-wing group’s social studies program

• Did not reapply for grants to pay counselors

• 40% of the high school’s professional staff won’t return next year

nbcnews.com
'Trump was great at this': How conservatives transformed a Colorado school district
A new school board quickly enacted its agenda in Woodland Park. Now teachers are leaving and the board faces growing opposition, including from lifelong GOP voters.

When a conservative slate of candidates won control of the school board in Woodland Park 18 months ago, they began making big changes to reshape the district.

After teachers protested, employees were barred from discussing the district on social media, and some were forced out.

These sweeping shifts were taken from the MAGA playbook, designed to catch opponents off guard, according to a board member’s email.

“Divide, scatter, conquer," one of the new conservative school board members wrote to another. “Trump was great at this in his first 100 days.”

The school board installed a new superintendent late last year.

Ken Witt had previously been recalled from another school district after he backed a plan to make classes more patriotic.

When students protested, he called them “pawns” of the teacher’s union.

At a meeting in March, Witt told staff members he prioritized academic achievement, not students’ emotions.

“We are not the department of health and human services,”
he told teachers, according to a recording made by staff and shared with

Staff members tried to explain why it was critical to address students’ emotional well-being, citing recent local homicides.

Employee: "We had a murder-suicide..."

Witt: "Did you have a social worker at the school?"

Employee: "Yes.”

Witt: "Did the murder-suicide still occur?"

That same week, Laura Magnuson, district’s mental health supervisor, had a call with Witt to press him on reapplying for $1.2M in grants for the district’s mental health professionals.

Witt would not commit to reapplying for the grants. Magnuson soon resigned.

Zehan Rogers, a sophomore, says he’s had a friend die by suicide and others who have had depression. He said he doesn’t think the board understands how important mental health staff is for the district.

“There’s so many unforeseen consequences that will come from this.”

on how conservatives took over a Colorado school district — and transformed it:
Full story: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wo ... -rcna83311
raison de arizona

:lol: Clearly it takes Marie 5 minutes to saw a board into one piece!
IMG_5045.jpeg
IMG_5045.jpeg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
raison de arizona

Five school employees arrested for not reporting teen’s sexual assault

The letter was handwritten in pink ink and addressed “to whom it may concern.” In it, a Florida teenager warned school staff that her friend was struggling after being sexually assaulted by two boys.

“I have witnessed both of them not taking no for an answer,” wrote the student at Palm Beach Central High School, adding that for her 15-year-old friend, “many anxiety and panic attacks were caused by this leading to self-harm.”

The teen handed the note to her chorus teacher on June 16, 2021, asking that he get it to the right people. But, according to court records, the sexual assault allegations would not reach authorities for months — even as the letter was passed between leadership at the school in Wellington, about 70 miles north of Miami. Law enforcement officials would later find evidence corroborating the assault claims.

Now, the principal and four other Palm Beach County School District employees have been arrested on felony charges over their alleged failures to report the incident, which reportedly occurred off school grounds in the spring of 2021. Each faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

Under Florida law, all of the staffers — principal Darren Edgecomb, assistant principals Nereyda Cayado de Garcia and Daniel Snider, choral teacher Scott Houchins and former counselor Priscilla Carter — were considered “mandatory reporters” of child abuse. That means they were required to report any suspected abuse involving a child to the Department of Children and Families (DCF).

They did not, court records state, and during a school trip to Washington, D.C, the victim of the alleged assault tried to kill herself. A Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy told the school employees that if what was reported in the letter “had been properly addressed before the summer,” the girl’s attempted suicide “could have potentially not taken place.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -reported/
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:55 pm
Five school employees arrested for not reporting teen’s sexual assault

The letter was handwritten in pink ink and addressed “to whom it may concern.” In it, a Florida teenager warned school staff that her friend was struggling after being sexually assaulted by two boys.

“I have witnessed both of them not taking no for an answer,” wrote the student at Palm Beach Central High School, adding that for her 15-year-old friend, “many anxiety and panic attacks were caused by this leading to self-harm.”

The teen handed the note to her chorus teacher on June 16, 2021, asking that he get it to the right people. But, according to court records, the sexual assault allegations would not reach authorities for months — even as the letter was passed between leadership at the school in Wellington, about 70 miles north of Miami. Law enforcement officials would later find evidence corroborating the assault claims.

Now, the principal and four other Palm Beach County School District employees have been arrested on felony charges over their alleged failures to report the incident, which reportedly occurred off school grounds in the spring of 2021. Each faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

Under Florida law, all of the staffers — principal Darren Edgecomb, assistant principals Nereyda Cayado de Garcia and Daniel Snider, choral teacher Scott Houchins and former counselor Priscilla Carter — were considered “mandatory reporters” of child abuse. That means they were required to report any suspected abuse involving a child to the Department of Children and Families (DCF).

They did not, court records state, and during a school trip to Washington, D.C, the victim of the alleged assault tried to kill herself. A Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy told the school employees that if what was reported in the letter “had been properly addressed before the summer,” the girl’s attempted suicide “could have potentially not taken place.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... -reported/
I have several friends who have or have had children in that district and perhaps even in that school -- I'll have to check on this to see if the parents have gotten any information.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

PragerU trying as hard as they can to make Slavery Okay!

After all, it was a cruise with an internship, amirite?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/

raison de arizona

School districts behaving well, Arkansas Department of Education behaving badly.
The Recount @therecount wrote: Some school districts in Arkansas say they’ll continue to offer AP African American Studies and cover the cost of the exam, despite a last-minute maneuver by the state Department of Education to defund and discredit the class.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”