Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Rachel Maddow podcast: Ultra

DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

I'm about halfway through this podcast series by Rachel Maddow: ULTRA.

Ultra tells the story of Nazi German attempts to exploit social divisions in the US to demoralize the country, and the "AMERICA FIRST" movement that included many prominent celebrities and even several members of Congress. AMERICA FIRST was the foremost pressure group in the early 1940s and their goal was to keep the US out of World War II. Some of these individuals, including a U. S. Senator were paid by the Germans to make speeches written by the German government, and to mail German anti-war propaganda to their constituents using the Congressional franking privilege. Basically, the US taxpayer was funding the distribution of Nazi propaganda.

The tale is riveting as it unfolds from a plane crash, an explosion at a munitions factory, and a special prosecutors uncovering it all.

The story brings to mind the Russian interference in the 2016 US elections, and brings to mind the question: why wouldn't the same thing be happening today?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

It probably is. :blackeye:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I listened to Bagman about Spiro Agnew and and it was very well done. I will try to catch this one.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My son listened to it and said it was really well done. On my list.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

DrConspiracy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:08 am I'm about halfway through this podcast series by Rachel Maddow: ULTRA.

Ultra tells the story of Nazi German attempts to exploit social divisions in the US to demoralize the country, and the "AMERICA FIRST" movement that included many prominent celebrities and even several members of Congress. AMERICA FIRST was the foremost pressure group in the early 1940s and their goal was to keep the US out of World War II. Some of these individuals, including a U. S. Senator were paid by the Germans to make speeches written by the German government, and to mail German anti-war propaganda to their constituents using the Congressional franking privilege. Basically, the US taxpayer was funding the distribution of Nazi propaganda.

The tale is riveting as it unfolds from a plane crash, an explosion at a munitions factory, and a special prosecutors uncovering it all.

The story brings to mind the Russian interference in the 2016 US elections, and brings to mind the question: why wouldn't the same thing be happening today?
Coinkedink? Just fired up my podcast feed this morning and this was the first one. Listening a second time. Hard to believe it really happened yet I think we're there again.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It is also hard to believe that Agnew was selling access directly from the VP’s office, yet…

It’s one reason why it’s hard to catch these guys - it’s so hard to believe they’re really behaving like that. You know that’s a plus for tfg.
DrConspiracy
Verified:

Post by DrConspiracy »

I finished Ultra this afternoon. The most shocking think for me is that this is an important history that hardly anyone knows about.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m on episode 2. It was actively hidden, it seems like. The parallels to today make that seem like a wise decision. “Oh, looky here boys, a blueprint!”
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Finished. Whew. I agree with Doc. Y’all have to listen to this.

In high school I had a kind of hippie for a history teacher. If he had known about this he would have taught it, with relish. And mustard.

They tailored it perfectly to today’s situation. The parallels are inescapable.

Fuck Harry Truman. What a chicken.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I have a problem with podcasts - I either lose my focus and wind up missing half of what's being said or I get lulled into sleep. I have no idea why, but I've never been able to use audiobooks because of it... I want to hear Ultra and have gotten about 3/4 of the way through the 1st episode a few times now :). I'm hoping she'll do like she did with Bagman and write a book. The book of Bagman was excellent and absolutely riviting!
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I would rather read a book

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”