Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2022 Pennsylvania Senate race

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

June bug wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:57 pm Wearing a suit no less!! :bighug:
Required Senate attire.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've never been worried about that. He's not Jim Jordan.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:57 am I've never been worried about that. He's not Jim Jordan.
:rimshot:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Video is Fox discussing that they didn't really get Fetterman, they are getting Gisele (his wife,) and speculation that Fetterman will step down and the Governor will appoint Gisele to the seat.
Aaron Rupar @atrupar wrote: this is so unspeakably pathetic. Fox News has repeatedly attacked Gisele Fetterman in the last 24 hours.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Someone I’ve followed on Twitter since 2017, Victoria Brownworth, lost her wife to cancer about a week ago. Sen. Fetterman’s team sent her a condolence letter, as her wife had been a supporter and his social media team saw her obituary on Twitter. In the middle of the chaos of beginning his first term, he directed this to be done.

:lovestruck:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Dr. Oz Wants His TV Show Back, But He Beclowned Himself Too Hard in Politics

Susan Rinkunas
Tue, November 29, 2022 at 6:00 PM

Dr. Mehmet Oz left his syndicated TV show to pursue a deeply embarrassing run for Senate in Pennsylvania—where he does not live—and spent nearly $27 million of his own money, before losing the state by a bigger margin than Donald Trump did in 2020. The whole thing was a spectacular self-own. Now this man is reportedly desperate to get back on TV, and the industry is not particularly interested in his comeback.

“No one in the mainstream will touch him,” a source told RadarOnline. “You can’t alienate half of your audience with a political stance and expect to bring in an audience on your return to television.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dr-oz-wants- ... 00121.html
(original Jezebel)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

yea, women and their local politicians might have some things to say :) :mrgreen:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

How long before he sells his PA house? Or is it a rental?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:55 pm How long before he sells his PA house? Or is it a rental?
The contract had an unusual wrinkle:
The fine print of the deed to Oz's $3.1 million residence in Bryn Athyn shows a wrinkle, though -- one that an outside expert called "unheard of": If Oz ever needs to sell his new home, then the last owner gets right of first refusal to buy it back.

Half a dozen estate law experts told ABC News that the provision between Oz and the Academy of the New Church, which sold him the residence, was unusual for a residential transaction.

"It is unheard of in the residential setting," said Bob Tintner, a Philadelphia-based real estate lawyer, noting that the provision is seen mostly in commercial sales.

"It suggests to me that he's only here for a temporary period of time," Tintner said.
https://6abc.com/dr-mehmet-oz-pennsylva ... /12350730/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Color me not surprised.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I am very, very pleased to read that.

In fact, I have stumbled upon twenty seven million reasons for being happy about the Pennsylvania election. Infinitely better than the North Carolina election, but whatevs.

I am not going to point out the good that could be done with $27 million, because that's too easy, the low-hanging fruit.

I think it's better to point out the cost in Oz's head, what he would have bought with $27 million dollars if he hadn't spent it teaching white supremacists what crudité means and flushing his own image down the crapper. It would have bought a nice house, or a few cars. Not a monster-size yacht, but down payment on the yacht.

'Course, this is Fogbow, and it would be irresponsible not to speculate. :batting:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:49 pm I am not going to point out the good that could be done with $27 million, because that's too easy, the low-hanging fruit.
I'll respond in the same way that I respond to people complaining about billionaires spending millions on family weddings - It's a good thing! The money is being paid to real people. It's going back into the economy. When it's a wedding, the uber-rich person is giving his money to caterers, to photographers, to resorts, to dressmakers and all their tailors, to wedding organizers and their staff, etc. I once told my recent college graduated niece that she should get into the business of making ads for politicians - she was a film major in college. All the money spent by politicians goes to staff, pollsters, ad creators, etc. Yes, some comes back to their pockets, but much of it goes back into the economy, into the pockets of hard working folks. That's a good thing! It beats the money just sitting invested in stocks or bonds.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Good point. I'll try to remember that (after rolling my eyes*).

*at the obscene expense, not your comment.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:04 am
Dr. Oz Wants His TV Show Back, But He Beclowned Himself Too Hard in Politics
Is he changing his residence back to his NJ mansion which he never left from the strip mall or whatever in PA he never lived at?

Totally needed better PR people. Celebs (or anyone, actually) in the spotlight, need to steer clear of religion and politics. Oh, and add to list not for Oz -- steer clear of cybercurrency and NFT promotions.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Here's a fun thought... If Oz is a resident of Pennsylvania, he will be required to file income tax returns for that state. If he sold investments to finance his political run and those sales generated taxable income, they would be includible in the Pennsylvania tax return.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Karma, you magnificent bitch.
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Yeah, that worked out pretty good. I watch a lot of TV while I work, mostly news, weather, sports. His show used to come on after the noon news. What a load of crap. Sometimes I was too busy to hit the switch. Then his theme song would kick in - his theme song sucked! And I can say that with authority, having written a few myself. So this is a two-fer, maybe a three-fer, in my election count. Good riddance!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -pac-thiel
In Pennsylvania, Oz’s self-funding functioned as a double-edged sword that benefited him in the primaries and made him attractive to GOP base voters “who still think that you can buy a race”, said Sam Chen, a political strategist in Allentown. But once in the general election, Chen said, it meant that Oz received relatively few small donors in part because he was viewed as a self-funder.

Still, he wasn’t alone: McConnell’s Pac put up $47m. That combined with Oz’s personal spending accounted for nearly half of the stunning $140m Oz forces spent in the campaign. Two largely billionaire-funded single-candidate Pacs also went all in on Oz: Honor Pennsylvania spent about $15m, and its largest donor was Citadel CEO Ken Griffin, who gave it at least $8.8m; and American Leadership Action Pac, funded by Wall Street tycoons or mega-donors like Susquehanna International Group CEO Jeff Yass, Blackstone CEO Stephen Schwarzman and Actua CEO Walter Buckley, dropped another $15m.

Though the outside spending in Pennsylvania set a new record, Oz was a “uniquely weak candidate”, Chen noted, and his failure highlights how wealth and Super PAC money “is not the end all be all”.

“Small dollar donations, the grandma who writes you a $5 check, they are locked in and voting for you … and they are probably the type of person who tells their neighborhood, their soccer mom group, their bible study that they gave you contributions,” Chen said. “Those contributions mean a lot more.”
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

My long standing proposal response to Citizens United.

You can give as much as you like, but it must be disclosed.

Important good part. You can only give to someone you can actually vote for. No out of state donations, No Pac spending. Parties can spend but only proportionally, IE: they have to split their spending among all the races and must spend equal amounts for each race. So yeah, they can dump $qq20 mil to try to defeat the guy who just flipped OH-1 and it is a competitive race now, but they can't spend anymore there than they do on EmptyGee.

It's about time the people who are being represented had a voice in who represented them.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Gregg wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:01 pm You can give as much as you like, but it must be disclosed.
It's about time the people who are being represented had a voice in who represented them.
And you must sign a document, under penalty of perjury, that you were not reimbursed for the donation. Otherwise, a billionaire from another state could donate to Ohio (or any other state) candidates via proxies.

I agree that an individual should not be allowed to donate to a candidate that they can't vote for.

The problem is that money is like water. It will find all the minute cracks in the wall and seep through, where you don't intend. No matter how well you craft the law, someone will find a (legal) way to circumvent it.
raison de arizona

:lol:
James Medlock @jdcmedlock wrote: Why does Fetterman, the largest member of congress, not simply eat the smaller ones?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Fetterman returned to the Senate today.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/17/politics ... index.html
Sen. John Fetterman has returned to the Senate after receiving treatment for clinical depression at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. The Pennsylvania Democrat began inpatient treatment in February and was discharged at the end of March.

“It’s great to be back,” he told reporters as he arrived at the Capitol Monday afternoon. He did not answer questions.

“I want everyone to know that depression is treatable, and treatment works,” Fetterman said in a statement after his release. “This isn’t about politics — right now there are people who are suffering with depression in red counties and blue counties. If you need help, please get help.” His office had said he would return to Washington, DC, when the Senate came back into session on April 17 following a two-week recess.
I assume it was just a casual return as he was dressed in shorts and sweatshirt. :shrug:

Return to “U.S. Senate”