Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Woodworking

Patagoniagirl

Woodworking

Post by Patagoniagirl »

There are some very talented woodworkers on TFB. We had a wonderful topic on the old forum, but no one has started it up here that I could find.

I haz a question. Has anyone ever seen or made a Jimmy Possum Chair?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Woodworking

Post by Maybenaut »

I’d never heard of them, so I googled. Pretty interesting!

Popular woodworking has an article which includes some links.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wood ... sum-chair/

"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Not me, but I heard about 'em a couple of years ago and realized I've sat in them quite a number of times.

Here's a potted history:

Who was Jimmy Possum?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Has everybody heard about the bird?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Um, how? I haven't watched but 30 seconds yet but this looks awesome:

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

IMG_4308 copy.jpg
IMG_4308 copy.jpg (78.3 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
There's not much woodworking in this other than refinishing the vanity which looked pretty beat up but was otherwise in good shape. My initial plan was to do a quick sand and overstain with a darker mahogany color which I've done with success in the past. I quickly learned that this wasn't going to take any kind of penetrating stain, at all. After a couple of attempts I punted and did two coats of black gel stain followed by six coats of sprayed satin poly. What was a poor imitation of French Provincial is now fresh and contemporary.

This is the guest bathroom in the upstairs hall and I've spent the last week working my butt off trying to get this ready for company that isn't going to be here until sometime in January now. But at least it's done, more or less. I still need to seal the grout, install hardware on the vanity, and eventually I'll make a frame for the mirror. The only things we saved were the vanity base, tub and that mirror. The old vanity top was stained and damaged beyond repair, the faucets were cheap and starting to drip, the sheet vinyl floor was dingy and worn, and the toilet was an early builder grade low-flow which did its one job very poorly. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by AndyinPA »

Very nice! :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Thanks! This was the last room in the house that I hadn't at least repainted and it was a bit of a mess. I don't know who did the previous drywall patches and paint job but they should never again be allowed to touch a taping knife or paintbrush.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Woodworking

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Niiiice!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Woodworking

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:32 pm Um, how? I haven't watched but 30 seconds yet but this looks awesome:

I have a book on Japanese joinery, which uses a lot of joints like this. One of these days I'll be brave enough to actually try it out.
John Thomas8

Woodworking

Post by John Thomas8 »

Scary, right? It looks so wrong when they're cutting those out, but the fit and finish are amazing!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by AndyinPA »

I watched it. It's awesome!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

What I want know about that video is how I can get my chisels that sharp. My sharpening skills are improving but I’m not there yet.
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I've been playing around with building my first custom workbench for a while but the project keeps getting interrupted for one reason or another. Now that the bathroom remodel is done maybe I can get back to it. It's not going to be anything fancy but should be an improvement over the Sjoberg I bought as a temporary solution 15-ish years ago.

IMG_3896.jpeg
IMG_3896.jpeg (112.73 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
I have a bunch of red oak my wife's cousin gave me. It's a little on the knotty side for the kind of furniture I normally build so I used some of it to build two leg sets. Each is a cross-lapped three layer lamination and each lamination is mortised together with Dominos. These should hold up to just about anything.

IMG_4046.jpg
IMG_4046.jpg (130.87 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
The cabinet is a simple plywood box that's glued and screwed together with pocket screws and gussets for reinforcement. The top will be a tool storage shelf below the bench top. I'll add doors and drawers later.

IMG_2438.jpg
IMG_2438.jpg (70.73 KiB) Viewed 1200 times
The top will be two 3" by ~12" by 63" slabs of hard maple in a split top configuration with a tool tray in the middle. I have an InKleind twin screw turbo vise for the end and a Rockler quick release for the front vise.
John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Woodworking

Post by Foggy »

Wow, that's awesome, Shiz.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Thanks, Foggy. I'll post pictures if I ever manage to get it together.
John Adams
Patagoniagirl

Woodworking

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I'm loving the Herringbone tile in the bathroom, Shiz!
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:03 am I'm loving the Herringbone tile in the bathroom, Shiz!
Thanks! But I didn't pick it out.

I made the mistake of insisting Mrs. Shizzle go with me to pick out the tile even though she said she trusted my judgement. She picked out the herringbone which is something I would never have done. l sold and installed this stuff back in my teens and early twenties so I know what a royal pain in the rear end herringbone is to install. I would have picked almost anything else. It does look great though so she was right, as she usually is. ;)
John Adams
Patagoniagirl

Woodworking

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Good man!
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

IMG_4492 (1).jpeg
IMG_4492 (1).jpeg (208.86 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
Now that 2022 Christmas v2.0 is over (v1.0 was called for weather) and everybody has gone home I finally got back into the shop for a while this week and made a little progress on my workbench. The base is finished and assembled, the levelers and detachable casters are installed, the top is attached, and the front vise is operational. Next comes the end vise which is going to be a much larger job than the front vise. That leaves the doors and drawers, dog holes, bridge to cover the center tool tray when I want the full depth of the top for assembly, and a handful of smaller jobs. At least it's somewhat functional now and I can get the old workbench out of my shop soon.

We're out of town most of this week so I won't get back to it until at least next weekend.
John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Woodworking

Post by Foggy »

Wow, that's awesome.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
roadscholar

Woodworking

Post by roadscholar »

Helluva bench, there, Shiz. Kudos.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Thanks, guys. It's far from perfect but it's going to be a big improvement over the old bench. I would like a larger bench than this but it's all I can fit in the shop. Maybe I'll build a bigger bench for the next house. I built the overhang on the left because that's where my fire/rag bucket lives (finish rags are laid out on the patio to dry before they go in the bucket). The front vise is a quick release type. Turn the handle a quarter turn to the left and it releases the screw so you can move it in and out freely. Turn to the right and it reengages. I think I'm going to like that feature.
John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Woodworking

Post by Slim Cognito »

Hi guys and gals of the woodworking persuasion. Got a question. Is it feasible to turn a pool cue into a walking cane? I realize mostly the diameter isn't as big but I'm short and not real heavy. I'm asking because I had a garage sale today* and one person looked at an old pool cue that belonged to Hubs' brother. It has a very ornate base(?) and he mentioned it would make a cool walking stick. Nobody bought it and I am now wondering the same thing. It unscrews into three pieces, the base piece is thick enough for a cane. I've got a knee that acts up so it's probably just a matter of time before I need one.

*Ladies, I've learned the secret to a successful garage sale. ADVERTISE TOOLS!!!!! It's like shoes but for men.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
sugar magnolia

Woodworking

Post by sugar magnolia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:48 pm Hi guys and gals of the woodworking persuasion. Got a question. Is it feasible to turn a pool cue into a walking cane? I realize mostly the diameter isn't as big but I'm short and not real heavy. I'm asking because I had a garage sale today* and one person looked at an old pool cue that belonged to Hubs' brother. It has a very ornate base(?) and he mentioned it would make a cool walking stick. Nobody bought it and I am now wondering the same thing. It unscrews into three pieces, the base piece is thick enough for a cane. I've got a knee that acts up so it's probably just a matter of time before I need one.

*Ladies, I've learned the secret to a successful garage sale. ADVERTISE TOOLS!!!!! It's like shoes but for men.
A typical pool cue is 58" long and a walking stick is usually half your body height. I'm about 5'2" and the diameter of all of my cues are wide enough at the 31" length to work just fine.It depends on what type of cue you're working with but I'd be surprised if it isn't sturdy enough at the 30" height. You can also add some height (so the cut would be at a wider point in the taper) by using a pool ball or other decorative knob at the top. Don't forget to add the rubber tip on the bottom!

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”