Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Bill_G, retired, affluence of effluent, and errata

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:34 pm She desperately wants some control over her life, and she doesn't want to be stuck in a bed.
No, she really doesn't. I'm glad she has you to work with her and take care of her. I'll be keeping her in mind and sending healing energy as I can!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I may as well ask for the news, instead of just sitting here worrying.

How's she doing today, Bill, and I'm hoping she's improving! :batting:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Thanks for asking Foggy.

Well, yesterday was a roller coaster. :shrug:

She ate (nutrition = good thing) but she has fluid around her lungs (plural effusion = bad thing).

I'm getting better at emptying and/or replacing her bag. The staff insist I practice (thank you staff).

She was accepted into a really good care facility only a mile from our home (thank you again staff). Transfer may be as soon as Monday.

I did some cost inquiry, and despite eleven days in hospital, with lots of tests and meds, it looks like our portion of the meter is only around three kilobucks (I'm grateful for that too).

And I'm back up to a half pack a day. I have to get this under control quickly.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

It sounds like you (and maybe more importantly, the doctors) have a good handle on the problems, but it's going to be a long road to get her where she wants to go (back to cooking meals and enjoying her health). And what they say about that is, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, and she's already taken a few steps in the right direction. :thumbsup:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:49 am Ahhhhh. That’s the one. I can feel them now. :P

I’m jealous.
Don't you folks get endless, and I do mean endless, TV ads for "Revitive"?

Doesn't hook to your socks but it does do the vibration thing. I have been considering it myself.

ETA: GEEBUS WACKADOODLE! The revitive thingies are 300 - 700 Aussie dollars on EBay/Amazon/Kogan/Whatever. Sheesh.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I dont wAtch “TV”. I dont see ads anymore but I sure want those! Except yikes, the price :shock: Thanks Keith I had no idea!

ETA only $300 USD. That’s actually affordable. Wonder, would Medicare pay for one if you had a prescription?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

It's been a week. Mrs was moved to the care facility Wednesday after some delay. Between the diuretic to clear the fluid from her pleura, and her not drinking enough water, she became dehydrated again throwing her metabolytes into a tizzy again forcing the doctors to stall her leaving. Suddenly, out of the blue, she's okay. She can go. She'll be fine. With a flurry of paperwork, and a rushed stuffing of belongings into bags, she was wisked into a medical transport.

So, two weeks and day after being admitted to the hospital, she was transferred to the acute care rehab which she immediately hated. Not surprising. The staff did not time her pain meds to keep her comfortable. The staff are all quite young. They are good about keeping her clean and fed, but need guidance on managing her bed sores, and getting her on the commode. They definitely need assistance with her ostemy bags.

Her mood has improved since the first day. They serve better food, and the bed is more comfortable. She likes the physical therapist better. He has managed to get her out of bed and walking short distances with the walker. She's happy with that progress. Fingers are crossed we keep this forward momentum.

I'm okay. I'm not walking enough, I'm smoking too much, and can't seem to find the bright side of the day. It's a funk I'll climb out of. Got to. I'll get there. I'm off for my morning visit with her.

Onward.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've never been in a skilled nursing facility, but I've dealt with it with my parents and last summer with my husband. It seems to be a very disconcerting process. I don't know anyone who initially liked it. I think the best they do is tolerate it. Good luck to her and you. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

You especially, dear bill, because without you she’ll have a harder road ahead.

What little things can you do for yourself that make you happy?
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

:brokenheart:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug: :bighug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I've been withholding an update because I don't have a lot of good news. It's the same old stuff, different day. I'll give a brief synopsis without a lot of explanation.

I had another COPD flareup last weekend, spent some time in the hospital, came home early this week on their KP At Home care system (which works pretty good actually - I liked it), got better, got "discharged" yesterday, feeling better.

KP at Home Program

Mrs self discharged last Monday and is at home now under my care (cough). This is a long story which I won't get into. It's working out. She's making improvements. I'm investigating in home care from third parties to help me.

I had paid for her to be in the rehab fac for all of February. She's not there. I want a refund on the difference. Working out the details, but the company is resisting. I hope I don't have to pursue legal options.

I paid for it online with a credit card. That card was hacked this week. USAA notified me of unauthorized activity, shut it down, cancelled the card, sent me a new one. Thank you USAA. Coincidence? Hmmm....

I insisted Mrs become more independent, and she is making strides in that direction. I've had to make some changes to accomodate her mobility limitations, but she is able to get in and out of bed on her own now. She was unable to do that at the rehab. She can get use the toilet on her own now too - something else she could not do in rehab. I am not ready to hand my phyisical therapy shingle quite yet. She has a healthy appetite, but pretty limited menu. I'm working on diversifying it.

When she wants a cigarette, she has to get outside on her own. I do not help her. She is accomplishing that. After this last flareup, it's clear to me I cannot tolerate even one smoke a day. I have ridden that horse to the end of the trail, and can't go any further. I have to totally quit. KP at Home got my some anti-anxiety drugs besides Welbutrin. They seem to help. Fingers crossed.

I've got my medication schedule down to a fine science, and am sticking to it (thank you very much).

My BIL the doctor had a series of strokes last weekend about the same time I had my issues. So, family has been torn between the two of us. My sister and he live in Boise where he has his practice. The clots occurred in occipital lobe. He has some memory and cogitive issues, but no speech or motor issues. He's at home recovering, and taking it one month at a time.

We have some other family members with their own health issues. Seems to be going around. Must be an extinction event of something.

That's it for now. I've been as suscinct as possible, and still seem to have been long winded. Onward.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

It sounds ... well, not terribly positive, but manageable, at least. I send you and mrs_g all the hugs, and love. :bighug: ❤️ :bighug:

Or the future.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Good word - manageable. I'll take it. Thank you.

An example of the proper use of the word Manageable.

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Good to know you're getting through all the stuff life is throwing at you. I hope it'll stop throwing quite so much, though!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Oh, my! Best of luck! :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

It's hard. You're a good man. Hang in there.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Hang tough, Bill. You can do it.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Tiredretiredlawyer

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

It's been nine days since my last update. Everything is blur, but I've learned more about ostomy wound care on my own than I should. Like my recently found physical therapy super powers, my wound and pain management learning curve is going vertical. I have pictures. I'm not going to show them, and you don't want to see them. We're getting through it.

The hospital staff where she had the procedure have been very supportive and helpful. We are grateful to them for their continued efforts. Her healing is moving with a one step forward - one step back nature to it, but we are seeing progress none the less. It will just take time and patience.

Thank you to everyone here for your T&P. It is appreciated. If you ever have any questions about silver alginate, or when to use Tegaderm rather than Duo-derm, benzocaine, lidocaine, triamcinolone acetonide, or even how to use super glue in wound care applications, just ask. I'm your guy.

Onward!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”