Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Microsoft

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Microsoft

Post by RTH10260 »

How to roll back Windows 11 and return to Windows 10

by Mark Kaelin in Software on November 1, 2021, 1:54 PM PST

It is possible to roll back to Windows 10 after Microsoft has updated your PC to Windows 11, but you only have 10 days to do it. After that it gets more complicated.

Assuming your PC meets the hefty prerequisites for hardware, Microsoft will be upgrading the current Windows 10 to Windows 11 in your near future. The new operating system may work well for you, cause no compatibility problems and be worth keeping around. If that is true, congratulations and enjoy.

However, for some the transition can cause serious compatibility and other problems that can only be fixed by rolling back to Windows 10. The easiest way to accomplish this task is by using the built in Windows Recovery Tool. But you must act quickly, because the recovery files will only remain intact for 10 days after the Windows 11 update occurs.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/ho ... indows-10/
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Microsoft

Post by Slim Cognito »

can I turn off automatic updates? This computer is an old, upgraded win7. It works fine for what I need but I don't see it handling 11.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:43 pm can I turn off automatic updates? This computer is an old, upgraded win7. It works fine for what I need but I don't see it handling 11.
I believe, if your PC can't pass this test (link is a direct download of Microsoft testing tool):

https://aka.ms/GetPCHealthCheckApp

Windows 10 won't even attempt the upgrade.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

You can decline the upgrade. I attempted to install the upgrade and despite having a computer that met all specs, it wouldn't finalize the upgrade. I ended up doing a clean install. It works fine and I have no issues. I keep a copy of the registration keys for all my apps and was able to restore everything. Put everything that you can on OneDrive, including your Desktop. If you use your existing Windows Account when doing a clean install, you'll get most of your stuff back. Beware of the HDR monitor you are using. If it isn't HDR certified, Windows 11 will have a cow when you try to switch to HDR mode from within '11.
Il factotum
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Microsoft

Post by RTH10260 »

Microsoft is laying off 10,000 employees

By Catherine Thorbecke and Hanna Ziady, CNN
Updated 9:28 PM EST, Wed January 18, 2023

Microsoft plans to lay off 10,000 employees as part of broader cost-cutting measures, the company said in a securities filing on Wednesday, making it the latest tech company to reduce staff because of growing economic uncertainty.

Speaking before the layoff announcement at the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, Switzerland, on Wednesday, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said that the company was not immune to a weaker global economy.

“No one can defy gravity and gravity here is inflation-adjusted economic growth,” he told WEF founder Klaus Schwab in a livestreamed discussion.

In a memo to staffers Wednesday, Nadella also cited changing demand years for digital services years into the pandemic as well as looming recession fears.

“We’re living through times of significant change, and as I meet with customers and partners, a few things are clear,” he wrote. “First, as we saw customers accelerate their digital spend during the pandemic, we’re now seeing them optimize their digital spend to do more with less.”

Microsoft had approximately 221,000 full-time employees globally as of June 30, 2022, according to a US Securities and Exchange Commission filing, with some 122,000 of those staffers based in the United States.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/18/tech ... index.html

Return to “Economy”