Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Art: I know it when I see it.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very cool. I tried to copy and paste, but I got a message that said, "Protected Material."
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:32 am https://digitalsynopsis.com/design/13-a ... pankowska/

I can't copy and paste.

Title is "13 Colorful Animal Logos Made From 13 Perfect Circles".
Cute. Quite a level of optical abstraction by the artist to see the critters like that. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:07 am Very cool. I tried to copy and paste, but I got a message that said, "Protected Material."
Seems there is a nifty server that sends copyrighted material not as an image but as some script.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

'I Don't Care' is a book about what matters in friendship, illustrated by best friends

I Don't Care started out as a freewriting exercise a couple of years ago. It came from a jumble of childhood memories, but it wasn't about anyone in particular. "I just wrote, like, a whole bunch of pages of pretty much nonsense," says Fogliano.

But then, the story ended up on the desk of illustrator Molly Idle, who read the first line and immediately knew what the story was about.

"This is a story about two people who are on the surface maybe seemingly very different, but at their cores are very, very similar," says Idle, "and I thought, 'Oh my gosh, that's just like me and Juana!'"
That would be Juana Martinez-Neal.

Idle and Martinez-Neal met 16 years ago. They were both artists and first-time moms, but Martinez-Neal's child was a year older than Idle's.

"I just loved her artwork and and was full of admiration for her doing this thing that I was trying to do," says Idle. "And I said, 'Tell me, does it get easier?' And Juana just looked me directly in the eyes and said, 'No.' And I thought: talent and total honesty. This woman is the whole package."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://mymodernmet.com/sunset-selfies-john-marshall/
Artist Uses Cardboard Cutouts to Create Fantastical “Sunset Selfies”

Watching the sunset helps you slow down and appreciate the small moments in life. But for writer and Emmy award-winning TV producer John Marshall, it’s also time to let his imagination run wild. While living alone in a small cabin on Frye Island in Maine, he watched the nightly sunsets and was inspired to start a new creative project. He challenged himself to create cut-out silhouette art that incorporates the colorful sky every day for 30 days. By the time the month was over, he was hooked; so he decided to continue his daily ritual. Today, Marshall’s series, titled Sunset Selfies, includes hundreds of playful silhouette artworks that each have a story to tell, featuring the artist himself as the main character.

Marshall uses simple cutting tools to cut out each silhouetted motif from cardboard. “As a writer and a filmmaker, I like to get away from the computer each day and make something with my hands,” he reveals. “So I get a big piece of cardboard, draw something, cut it out fast with a knife and scissors, then go pose with it at sunset.” As he sets up each image, Marshall always manages to incorporate his own silhouette into the scene.
sunset-selfies-john-marshall-11.jpeg
sunset-selfies-john-marshall-11.jpeg (24.81 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
“Some moments are beyond words.”
sunset-selfies-john-marshall-6.jpeg
sunset-selfies-john-marshall-6.jpeg (21.53 KiB) Viewed 2289 times
“I'd never really given it much thought… but tonight, as my brothers chirped on and on about their favorite kind of worm and my sisters pecked mites out of their feathers, the idea occurred to me that perhaps I'd been adopted.”

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool! Very inventive.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

038e10_0379fef42a4c409b83527d6de45c5883_mv2.jpg
038e10_0379fef42a4c409b83527d6de45c5883_mv2.jpg (205.16 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
When I was a kid I loved toys. I was crazy about them. Every time I walked with my parents near a toy store, I pulled them in and made them into buying me a toy.

To this day I am a major toy lover! Our studio is full of actions figures, Funko POP! and sculptures. I don't think it's an age issue. Toys made to be loved.

The love for toys doesn't change with age, only the type of toy changes.

This Black Friday, I upgraded my self with a new ASUS ZenBook Pro Duo.
https://www.yehudadevir.com/post/grown-ups-toys
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://visualflood.com/post/extraordin ... rius-hulea
Extraordinary sculptures made from industrial metal wires by Darius Hulea

Cluj-Napoca-based Romanian artist Darius Hulea creates amazing busts of historical figures entirely out of welded industrial metal wires, making them look like three-dimensional sketches. Darius’ sculptures become even more attractive with the patina that appears after the oxidation.
IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3740.JPG (37.98 KiB) Viewed 2162 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

There are a lot of cool ones there, but I really like the ones with horses.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Balloon animals. Can't seem to copy. Worth the click.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... n-pictures
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:22 pm Balloon animals. Can't seem to copy. Worth the click.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... n-pictures

This one worked.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Coooooool!!!!!!!!
Tiredretiredlawyer

TWO!!! COUNT 'EM! TWO VIDEOS!!!!

https://www.openculture.com/2023/01/an- ... world.html
An Introduction to Hokusai’s Great Wave, One of the Most Recognizable Artworks in the World

You need not be a student of Japanese Ukiyo-e woodblock prints to recognize artist Katsushika Hokusai’s Under the Wave Off Kanagawa – or the Great Wave, as it has come to be known.

Like Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa and Botticelli’s The Birth of Venus, it’s been reproduced on all manner of improbable items and subjected to liberal reimagining – something Sarah Urist Green, describes in the above episode of her series The Art Assignment as “numerous crimes against this image perpetrated across the internet.”

Such repurposing is the ultimate compliment.
For those who bother looking closely enough to take in the three boatloads of fishermen struggling to escape with their lives, it’s also narratively gripping, a terrifying woodblock still from an easily imagined disaster film.

It’s also an homage to Mount Fuji, one of a series of 36.

Thousands of prints were produced in the early 1830s for the domestic tourist trade. Visitors to Mount Fuji snapped these souvenirs up for about the same price as a bowl of noodle soup.

Green, a curator and educator, points out how the water-obsessed Hokusai borrowed elements from both the Rinpa school and Western realism for the Great Wave. The latter can be seen in the use of linear perspective, a low horizon line, and Prussian blue.

An 1867 posthumous showing at the International Exhibition in Paris turned such notable artists as Claude Monet, Edgar Degas, Mary Cassatt, and Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec into major Ukiyo-e fans.

Without them, this iconic plunging breaker might never have spilled over onto our dorm room walls, our shower curtains, our yoga mats, t-shirts, Doc Martens, street art, and tattoos.

Hell, there’s even a Lego set and an official Sanrio characters greeting card showing Hello Kitty nonchalantly surfing the crest in a two piece bathing suit, more interested in disporting herself than considering the sort of extreme oceanic events we can expect more of, owing to climate change.
The Kid and I have a special bond about The Wave. I don't know how it began, but we gift each other various items. I didn't notice the three boats for years!!!! That wave is SKEERY!!!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Molly Ivins on art in Texas.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

a few pictures in the article
Vermeer review – one of the most thrilling exhibitions ever conceived

Laura Cumming
Sun 12 Feb 2023 13.00 GMT

The scene is unassuming – rinsed cobbles, whitewashed walls, a woman stitching in an open doorway as the Dutch gable facade ascends towards motionless clouds. Yet every visitor stands before it amazed. Perhaps the spell has something to do with the Advent calendar of open and yet to be opened windows, or the chain of absorbed and absorbing figures, or the abstract arrangement of frames and arches, or the brickwork that seems made of the very thing itself? The eyes and mind, beguiled, search the image for answers. How can Johannes Vermeer’s painting be so infinitely more beautiful than the scene it depicts?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... -conceived
Tiredretiredlawyer

:lovestruck:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Except when it's no longer there ...
Woman accidentally breaks $42,000 Jeff Koons sculpture at Art Wynwood in Miami

Amanda Rosa
Fri, February 17, 2023 at 11:45 PM GMT+1

Don’t touch the art, people. That cute little balloon dog just might be a $42,000 porcelain sculpture.

A woman attending Art Wynwood, a contemporary art fair in downtown Miami, accidentally broke a pricey sculpture by world-famous artist Jeff Koons Thursday night. The shiny, electric blue sculpture was on display at Bel-Air Fine Art’s booth during the fair’s VIP Preview event.

Once the sculpture shattered, the VIPs gathered.

“When this thing fell to the ground, it was like how a car accident draws a huge crowd on the highway,” said Stephen Gamson, a Wynwood-based artist and art collector.

Gamson said he saw the sculpture break and recorded video of the aftermath. A large crowd gathered around the broken pieces with many people wondering if the incident was a performance art piece or another art fair stunt. (This is Miami, after all. Home of the duct-taped bananas, nosy ATMs and women in floating chairs.)

Not this time, Gamson said. Just a good ol’ fashioned accident.

The artwork is immediately recognizable, even if you’re not a big art buff. Koons, an American artist, is known for his pop culture references and depictions of everyday objects. (Remember the giant bowl of eggs at Art Basel last year? Yes, that’s a Koons.) And his price tags are no joke. A massive, orange version of his “Balloon Dog” series was sold for $58.4 million in 2013. His sculpture “Rabbit,” which looks like a balloon bunny wielding a carrot like a knife, is one of the most expensive artworks sold by a living artist. It was $91.1 million.

Gamson, a Koons fan, was walking around Art Wynwood with a friend when he spotted the blue balloon dog sculpture sitting on an acrylic stand.

“It was really the star of this booth,” he said.

As soon as he pointed out the sculpture to his friend, Gamson said he saw an older woman tap the sculpture, immediately knocking it off the pedestal. The artwork loudly shattered into pieces, shocking everyone nearby and attracting a horde of people.

Though he doesn’t know for certain, Gamson said he assumes that the woman tapped the sculpture because she was curious if it was a real balloon. It was not.

Thankfully for her, there was no “if you break it, you buy it” policy at the booth. Bénédicte Caluch, an art advisor with Bel-Air Fine Art, said the artwork was covered by insurance. No hard feelings.

The woman was an art collector who did not mean to break the piece, Caluch said. Art fair staff quickly swept up the pieces, and nobody was hurt. Though it was a shame that the sculpture shattered, she said the gallery took it in stride.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-accide ... 45907.html
(original: Miami Herald)

while still intact:
JeffKoonsBalloonDog.jpg
JeffKoonsBalloonDog.jpg (173.62 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:39 pm:eek:
I’m more like that that anyone pays that kind of money for it.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/united-kingd ... f6f73a8b4a

PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) — A spectacular collection of centuries-old Cambodian jewelry has been returned to the Southeast Asian country, the latest treasures to be retrieved from the estate of well-known antiquities collector and dealer Douglas Latchford, who was accused of buying and selling looted artifacts.

Cambodia’s Ministry of Culture and Fine Arts announced Monday that 77 pieces of Cambodian jewelry from the Latchford family collection arrived back in their homeland on Friday. It said the collection included items “such as gold and other precious metal pieces from the Pre-Angkorian and Angkorian period including crowns, necklaces, bracelets, belts, earrings and amulets.” Angkor in the 9th to the 15th centuries was a powerful kingdom in the area of present-day Cambodia, and tourists can see its legacy at the famous Angkor Wat temple complex in the country’s northwest.[/quote]
Tiredretiredlawyer

:clap: The detail on the metal work is beautiful.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Rare Brueghel the Younger painting found behind door in French home
‘Exceptional’ piece, valued at up to €800,000, had been hanging behind door after being in family since 1900

Kim Willsher in Paris
Wed 8 Mar 2023 14.55 GMT

A rare painting by the 17th-century artist Pieter Brueghel the Younger, described as “exceptional” and one of his largest known works, will be sold by auction in Paris later this month.

The painting was discovered hanging behind a door at a home in the north of France. It had been in the same family since 1900 but its provenance before then remains a mystery.

The work – measuring 112cm high and 184cm wide, and valued at up to €800,000 (£713,000) – is a version of L’Avocat du village (the Village Lawyer), a theme Brueghel reproduced up to 90 times. It is believed to have been painted between 1615 and 1617.

Malo de Lussac of the auctioneers Daguerre Val de Loire, who found the painting during an estimation visit requested by the family, who wish to remain anonymous, said he could hardly believe what he had stumbled across.

“In the family it was known as ‘the Brueghel’ but they had no idea it was a real one. They thought it was a copy; just a bit of decoration that wasn’t worth very much,” De Lussac said.

“When we sent it to Germany for expert verification that confirmed it was a Brueghel and they understood the importance of what they had, they asked us to take a photograph of them in front of the painting that they had lived with for all those years. It was both funny and touching.”

De Lussac added: “It is one of those unique finds that happens once in a career. It’s a very unusual painting in terms of size and the fact it is in exceptionally good condition.”

Pieter Brueghel the Younger, born in Brussels, was the oldest son of the 16th-century Dutch and Flemish Renaissance painter Pieter Bruegel the Elder. His younger brother Jan Brueghel the Elder was also a painter.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... rench-home
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

This was posted on Reddit. It's an origami sculpture from a single pice of paper.
D7ABA8E5-C489-4B86-BCFA-7792C3270F4C.jpeg
D7ABA8E5-C489-4B86-BCFA-7792C3270F4C.jpeg (304.13 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

As seen in a shop window walking through London... I thought it was quite cool, but you can see lots of cool shit in shop windows in London... And the sun was just right to reflect the buildings across the road. :thumbsup:
IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3591.jpg (123.17 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Tiredretiredlawyer

COOOOOL!! Glad you can get out!

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”