George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Regarding Santos' resume*.

I've done a buncha resumes in my day for various people, and polished a bunch more. I'm by no means an expert (not my forte), but I've kept up enough to know that styles have changed over the years, and that different jobs require different approaches. Anyway.

What a joke of a document. Spelling errors, grammatical errors, and nothing but buzz words when it comes to abilities and skills. I've know high schoolers to produce a better product.

If I saw this come in I would read it as the work of a bull-shit artist with zero experience, and would wonder what, since the college credentials were good, the problem was. I see a non-serious person here.
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

His whole demeanor is ‘I really don’t care’. Serve his constituents? What a joke.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

His constituents voted for somebody else. You know, the guy who went to that college, etc. ;)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/13/nyre ... 4LXbLYamN0
George Santos inspired no shortage of suspicion during his 2022 campaign, including in the upper echelons of his own party, yet many Republicans looked the other way.

Some of Mr. Santos’s own vendors were so alarmed after seeing the study in late November 2021 that they urged him to drop out of the race, and warned that he could risk public humiliation by continuing. When Mr. Santos disputed key findings and vowed to continue running, members of the campaign team quit, according to three of the four people The New York Times spoke to with knowledge of the study.

The episode, which has not been previously reported, is the most explicit evidence to date that a small circle of well-connected Republican campaign professionals had indications far earlier than the public that Mr. Santos was spinning an elaborate web of deceits, and that the candidate himself had been warned about just how vulnerable those lies were to unraveling.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:lol: papers please :roll:
Is Santos a citizen? He ought to prove it

By Dan Janison
Updated January 12, 2023 6:53 pm

Even after electing a slippery young fraud to the U.S. Congress, most voters in Long Island’s 3rd Congressional District would presume George Devolder Santos has been a U.S. citizen for at least seven years, as the Constitution requires.

It’s hard to believe his fabulism would reach so far as to fake an immigration status. But in this wild case, who knows any more? Since so much of Santos' life story as presented has unraveled in recent weeks, we the people can no longer presume anything about him that isn’t fully documented.

His campaign bio, still posted online, states: “George Santos is the son of immigrants, who grew up in a basement apartment in Jackson Heights, Queens. Both his mother and father legally immigrated to the United States in search of the American dream, where they began their family on the foundations of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”

https://www.newsday.com/opinion/columni ... s-d4fll74u
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

:roll:
Is George Santos A Citizen?

Dan K - Community (This content is not subject to review by Daily Kos staff prior to publication.)
Saturday December 24, 2022 · 11:37 PM CEST

George Santos, R-NY, may really be R-Brazil. Talking Points Memo spotted yet one more questionable part of Santos’s resume, reported in the Port Washington Patch: George Santos' Former NY Coworkers Fill In Murky Biography

Barbara Hurdas said she started training at Dish the same day as Santos in October 2011. She was hired as a Greek language representative, and the two worked together at the now-closed Queens office until Santos left the company, she said.

"He used to tell us he was born in Brazil," she recalled to Patch, "and that he would travel back and forth and that he came from money." [emphasis added]

https://cis.org/North/CongressmanElect- ... US-Citizen
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Edit: For spoiler tags.
Adding more because this stuff is must read for Santos followers. And on another topic, I have never seen anyone say "where" Santos was born; just "when."
Santos’s Lies Were Known to Some Well-Connected Republicans
By Nicholas Fandos Jan. 13, 2023

In late 2021, as he prepared to make a second run for a suburban New York City House seat, George Santos gave permission for his campaign to commission a routine background study on him.

Campaigns frequently rely on this kind of research, known as vulnerability studies, to identify anything problematic that an opponent might seize on. But when the report came back on Mr. Santos, the findings by a Washington research firm were far more startling, suggesting a pattern of deception that cut to the heart of the image he had cultivated as a wealthy financier.

Some of Mr. Santos’s own vendors were so alarmed after seeing the study in late November 2021 that they urged him to drop out of the race, and warned that he could risk public humiliation by continuing. When Mr. Santos disputed key findings and vowed to continue running, members of the campaign team quit, according to three of the four people The New York Times spoke to with knowledge of the study.

The episode, which has not been previously reported, is the most explicit evidence to date that a small circle of well-connected Republican campaign professionals had indications far earlier than the public that Mr. Santos was spinning an elaborate web of deceits, and that the candidate himself had been warned about just how vulnerable those lies were to unraveling.

Fraudulent academic degrees. Involvement in a firm accused of a Ponzi scheme. Multiple evictions and a suspended driver’s license. All of it was in the report, which also said that Mr. Santos, who is openly gay, had been married to a woman. The report did not offer conclusive details, but some people briefed on the findings wondered whether the marriage was done for immigration purposes.
[the rest below]
► Show Spoiler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I think I did the above Hidden Text wrong. Meant to put it in a little box to save space.

Help, please.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:39 pm I think I did the above Hidden Text wrong. Meant to put it in a little box to save space.

Help, please.
You probably meant the Spoiler tag. Its the button that looks like this Image or you can change the {hidden} to {spoil}{/spoil} on the text.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks for the additional info, pOrtia. I couldn't access more than I posted. Good article.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:55 pm
p0rtia wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:39 pm I think I did the above Hidden Text wrong. Meant to put it in a little box to save space.

Help, please.
You probably meant the Spoiler tag. Its the button that looks like this Image or you can change the {hidden} to {spoil}{/spoil} on the text.
better is {spoil}{hidden} ... text goes here ... {/hidden} {/spoil} cause even after the 4 para rule has gone, better not disclose copyrighted stuff to the search engines
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 4:51 pm
Suranis wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:55 pm

Help, please.
better is {spoil}{hidden} ... text goes here ... {/hidden} {/spoil} cause even after the 4 para rule has gone, better not disclose copyrighted stuff to the search engines
Thanks! Will do.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Matt Gaetz on CNN (!) essentially blames the New York media for the fact that George Santos got away with so many misrepresentations and lies
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Video shows George Santos calling himself Anthony Devolder at a 2019 event, raising questions about his name

Alia Shoaib
Sat, January 14, 2023 at 1:45 PM GMT+1
  • Rep. George Santos introduced himself as Anthony Devolder in a recently surfaced video from 2019.
    Videos and social media posts reveal Santos previously used the names George Devolder and Anthony Devolder.
    The revelations have prompted questions about the congressman's use of multiple names.
A recently surfaced video clip from 2019 shows Rep. George Santos introducing himself as Anthony Devolder, prompting questions about why the congressman has previously gone by different names.

In the video posted by the Twitter account Patriot Takes, Santos addresses a panel during an event in New York City featuring conservative commentators who are part of the LGBTQ community.

"My name is Anthony Devolder. I'm a New York City resident. I've recently founded a group called United for Trump, so if you guys want to follow, that would be awesome," Santos says.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video-shows- ... 11851.html
(original: Business Insider)
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:10 pm
Matt Gaetz on CNN (!) essentially blames the New York media for the fact that George Santos got away with so many misrepresentations and lies
"Child molester blames Venmo."
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Another doozy. Many more details at the link.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... rd-charges
Campaigns Linked To Santos Left Donors Feeling Ripped Off After Questionable Credit Card Charges
By Hunter Walker and Josh Kovensky January 14, 2023 6:01 a.m.

FEC records show the donor who spoke to TPM gave at least $2,000 to the Santos campaign between March and June of 2021. According to the donor, they did not intend to make any contributions following their initial donation for Santos’ 2020 run. When they saw the charges on their credit card statement, the donor reached out to WinRed, a platform for Republican donations that was used by the Santos campaign. 

“I contacted WinRed donor support because that was listed as the merchant on my Amex statement. That was a whole months-long process because they couldn’t find these transactions even though they were listed as the merchant,” the donor said. “They had no record of them in their system.” 

The donor provided TPM with copies of emails they exchanged with WinRed’s donor support team. In one of the messages, the donor indicated they were not getting any response from the Santos campaign. In another, a customer service representative said WinRed was unable to find any record of the two $1,000 contributions. 
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

McCarthy doesn’t call for Santos to resign: ‘The voters elected him to serve’

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Wednesday declined to call for Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) to resign over fabrications about his résumé and questions about his finances even as New York Republicans raised the pressure on the embattled first-term lawmaker.

“I try to stick by the Constitution. The voters elected him to serve. If there is a concern, and he has to go through the Ethics, let him move through that,” McCarthy told reporters on Wednesday.

“He will continue to serve,” McCarthy said of Santos.

McCarthy’s comments mark his most substantive statements to date about Santos, weeks after the congressman admitted to misrepresenting his background.

Asked about Santos admitting to fabricating parts of his resume, McCarthy said, “So did a lot of people here in the Senate and others.”
:snippity:
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3809 ... -to-serve/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The same Ethics Committee he's looking to neuter?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

After watching a terrific video by Bad Lip Reading the other day, I am going to refer to Matthew Gaetz from here on out as "Vain Guy". :biggrin:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:53 pm After watching a terrific video by Bad Lip Reading the other day, I am going to refer to Matthew Gaetz from here on out as "Vain Guy". :biggrin:
I'm more into Sad Euphoria.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

House Republican: If George Santos broke campaign finance laws, 'he will be removed from Congress'

Colin Campbell·Managing Editor
Sun, January 15, 2023 at 5:05 PM GMT+1

Rep. James Comer, R-Ky., the new chair of the House Oversight and Accountability Committee, said embattled Rep. George Santos, R-N.Y., would be ousted from Congress if it's determined that he broke campaign finance laws.

"I haven't even introduced myself to him because it's pretty despicable the lies that he told," Comer said on CNN's "State of the Union." "But at the end of the day, it's not up to me or any other member of Congress to determine whether he could be kicked out for lying. Now if he broke campaign finance laws, then he will be removed from Congress."

Comer made the comment when pressed on the growing calls for Santos’s resignation.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-republ ... 44299.html
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/sta ... 6835747847

Republicans against Trumpism
@RpsAgainstTrump

George Santos says he helped develop carbon capture technology, “I’ve had a very extensive role in the gas and oil in this country.”
https://twitter.com/JamesFallows/status ... 0060571648

James Fallows
@JamesFallows
Replying to
@RpsAgainstTrump
Can this be true? (I mean, obviously not his claim — but the actual video?)
A reply to Fallows provided a link to the video of the interview:

https://rumble.com/vwg4k9-cpac-2022-int ... antos.html
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I was curious to see what the procedure was to fill a potential vacancy if Santos or whatever his name is resigns or gets booted. Gov. Kathy Hochul would have 10 days to call a special election to replace Santos, which would have to be held between 70 to 80 days from the date of that proclamation -- if Santos resigns this year, during the first session of a Congress.

I would say the Democratic candidate would have a good chance.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

George Santos once claimed he helped the community by shutting down a homeless shelter because it was going to be a scam.

Santos: “If you want to say George Santos is in bed with someone, I’m in bed with the community at large.”
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Bedtime, so will read tomorrow. :oldlady:

NEW- George Santos was alerted that his investment firm was using a fake Deutsche Bank document and continued working there for months

That and many other new details on Santos’ tenure at alleged Ponzi scheme in deep dive w/
@jocwapo

@emmersbrown

Return to “Current Politics”