Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Train Travel

AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

OMG! What a great train trip! I'm so jealous. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Train Travel

Post by Kendra »

One of several FB pages dedicated to RR.

Edit, let's try this; https://www.facebook.com/RailroadGloryDays
pipistrelle

Train Travel

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:36 pm

One of several FB pages dedicated to RR.
This Facebook post is no longer available. It may have been removed or the privacy settings of the post may have changed.
Kendra

Train Travel

Post by Kendra »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Train Travel

Post by raison de arizona »

0E13849C-0A66-459E-8DBB-3667804BEF60.jpeg
0E13849C-0A66-459E-8DBB-3667804BEF60.jpeg (204.92 KiB) Viewed 740 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

Um. The route from Pittsburgh through Ohio doesn't exist. :think:

I'm not debating his basic statement.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Train Travel

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:16 pm Um. The route from Pittsburgh through Ohio doesn't exist. :think:

The routes are not only train. Looking at the icons, the route from Pittsburgh to Columbus and on are actually the bus part of the route. Amtrak does have connecting buses and Google could have been adding them.

Using the Amtrak scheduler for next month, the top route is Lake Shore Limited (19 hours). That one is only 90 for coach one way, or 390 for a room, one way, I assume. It never suggested busses so the alternate routes were one of the various NY to Washington trains and then the Capital Limited, which goes through Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

This does not mean he's wrong about how we can do better.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:40 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:16 pm Um. The route from Pittsburgh through Ohio doesn't exist. :think:

The routes are not only train. Looking at the icons, the route from Pittsburgh to Columbus and on are actually the bus part of the route. Amtrak does have connecting buses and Google could have been adding them.

Using the Amtrak scheduler for next month, the top route is Lake Shore Limited (19 hours). That one is only 90 for coach one way, or 390 for a room, one way, I assume. It never suggested busses so the alternate routes were one of the various NY to Washington trains and then the Capital Limited, which goes through Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

This does not mean he's wrong about how we can do better.
Yep, we can do better.

I had no idea there's an Amtrak bus to Columbus. Strange way to get there from here, though. The Capitol Limited is the go-to train route from here to Chicago. And you get to sleep through it.
Patagoniagirl

Train Travel

Post by Patagoniagirl »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:52 pm 0E13849C-0A66-459E-8DBB-3667804BEF60.jpeg
This passes through my neck of the woods...Bryan OH. Great trip to Chicago.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Train Travel

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:03 pm :snippity:
Yep, we can do better.

:snippity:
And I know you want it better, and beside from the whole QOP wanting to overthrow democracy it's one of the reasons I vote Dem now.

I remember taking AMTRAK from Savannah to DC on a FRI afternoons when I was stationed at Parris Island and being in downtown DC by 2100...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Train Travel

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Train Ride From Hell’: 17-Hour Amtrak Trip Becomes 37-Hour Ordeal
Amtrak said that a CSX freight derailment forced its train from Virginia to Florida to detour from its normal route, adding 20 hours to the trip.

By Michael Levenson
Jan. 11, 2023 Updated 7:20 p.m. ET

Dale Kalkofen, a retired school administrator, boarded an Amtrak train in Northern Virginia at around 5 p.m. on Monday, prepared for a 17-hour trip to Florida with “a little snack bag” of hard-boiled eggs, apples and bananas.

But what was supposed to be an overnight journey on the auto train, which was carrying 563 passengers and 350 vehicles, became another pressure-cooker test of traveler endurance in a season of extreme delays and disruptions.

Amtrak said that a CSX freight derailment in South Carolina on Monday night forced the auto train to take a detour from its normal route, adding 20 hours to the trip.

When the train finally pulled into Sanford, Fla., at 6 a.m. on Wednesday, passengers had been cooped up in their seats or compartments for 37 hours, complaining of stale air, dwindling food supplies, trash piling up in the aisles and a lack of timely information from the crew.

“It does feel like a train wreck,” Ms. Kalkofen, 76, said in an interview on Wednesday morning after she arrived in Sanford, exhausted but still in time to visit friends and board a Caribbean cruise on Saturday. “I feel like a train wreck.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/11/us/a ... va-fl.html
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/gal ... -slideshow
Beautiful train stations are arguably a city’s most treasured architectural landmark. With nonstop flights going seemingly everywhere, people tend to prefer the sky over the rail. That said, there’s something nostalgic—and even glamorous—about boarding a train that simply cannot be replicated in any other form of transportation—especially planes, which are getting more modern by the year. After all, trains are often credited with completely transforming the United States in nearly every regard (socially, politically, and economically) during the most financially lucrative period, the Gilded Age.

And with the popularity of trains on the rise throughout the latter half of the glittering 19th century, some of the stations are unsurprisingly beautiful works of architectural magic. From the celestial-inspired frescoes on the towering ceilings to the glossy red brick floors, the most eye-catching beautiful train stations are proof of the economic boom such transportation hubs introduced.

Whether it’s on your daily commute or on daring adventures across the globe, you’d be amazed to find that some of the world’s most stunning architecture can be found in train stations. From the spectacular Gothic Revival look of London’s St. Pancras International to the Art Deco and Spanish Colonial styles of John and Donald Parkinson’s Union Station in Los Angeles, the dramatic designs featured in these transportation hubs make catching a train an awe-inspiring experience. Next time you find yourself booking a worldly adventure, make sure to plan a stop at any one of these renowned stations.
I've been in or seen more than a half dozen of these. The Amtraks are easy for me, of course, but I've seen others. We were in a hotel in Buenos Aires that looked down on a beautiful (from the outside, at least) train station. We were frequently warned not to go in as we could almost be guaranteed at the very least to be pick pocketed or mugged, so we didn't, but it was a beautiful station.
qbawl

Train Travel

Post by qbawl »

There is an interesting Art Deco station in Cincinnati Ohio that looks like a huge olde timey radio or mantle clock (to me anyway). It is now a museum center but I think Amtrak still stops there.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

It's one of the 37 listed with photos.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Train Travel

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

An Arkansas circuit court judge who was my parents' lawyer before being elected to judgeship was a model railroad aficionado. He created a huge model railroad with other fans which was housed in a metal building. The train stations were designed after the various train stations in Arkansas. He also played mandolin in a bluegrass group.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool.
qbawl

Train Travel

Post by qbawl »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:35 amCool.
Some folks model train layout are truly magnificent. I know a guy with a huge house with an even bigger basement hat represents in HO the Virginian RR along the Kanawha (sp?). It is fully scenicked, and weathered and he has weekly operating sessions with up to 15 operators running trains, managing yards, and duplicating every aspect of a real RR's operation. Even the floor is part of the action, as you walk through the river as it winds through the Appalachian Mountains. Cool guy Electrical Engineer ex military pilot and benefactor of many charitable endeavors.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

Also love model railroads. Of course. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

I used to be a volunteer at-

I donated my copy of the last edition of the "Car and Locomotive Encyclopedia" to their library along with a copy of the Union Pacific Users track specifications.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

Nice.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... velopment/
Union Station is in line for a major expansion, an investment that railroad and city officials say will help to move more passenger trains through the Northeast Corridor while modernizing an important gateway to the nation’s capital.

Plans include updated concourses and tracks, more retail options, a new train hall and modern parking and bus facilities. The proposed expansion, at least an $8.8 billion expense, calls for a transformation of the nation’s second-busiest intercity rail hub by 2040.

Meanwhile, efforts in recent months have centered on near-term improvements to add life back into the station, which some have described as unsafe, outdated and unwelcoming.

Doug Carr, who oversaw the redevelopment of a historic Post Office building in Manhattan into the mixed-use Moynihan Train Hall, is leading the effort to transform Washington’s busiest transit hub.
I was in the Moynihan Train Hall and month, and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and passenger friendly it now is. I like the idea of having the station in DC also updated.
pipistrelle

Train Travel

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Train Travel

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:25 pm
I was in the Moynihan Train Hall and month, and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice and passenger friendly it now is. I like the idea of having the station in DC also updated.
Same here! :lovestruck:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Train Travel

Post by northland10 »

Chicago Union Station here has a lovely waiting room. The concourse area is dreadful. This is what happened when failing Penn Central decided to repeat its Penn Station brilliance by letting a developer put a big ugly tower where the beautiful concourse was and cramming said concourse into a column filled basement.

They did this because they cared nothing about passenger service and thought it would go away anyway. Ironically, at least pre-pandemic, the station had the highest passenger count ever. The difference is that the growth was in commuter traffic, not Intercity. There is far less of the longer haul trains even after they were all moved from the other stations to Union. There are still 4 commuter stations in downtown Chicago , Ogilvie (the former CNW but nicely rebuilt as a tower), Union, LaSalle, and Millennial for Metra Electric (former Roosevelt and best know now as the place Batman drove his pod through in The Dark Knight).
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”