💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by raison de arizona »

:snippity: On Saturday morning, Mr. McCarthy suggested that he owed his post to the former president.

“I do want to specially thank President Trump,” he said. “I don’t think anybody should doubt his influence.”

As he ticked off a list of agenda items that he said Mr. Trump wanted Republicans to unite behind, including improving the economy and border security, Mr. McCarthy concluded: “He was a great influence to make that all happen. So thank you, President Trump.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/07/us/p ... trump.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:42 pm I guess I'm too lazy to look it up, but does anyone know why Pelosi didn't pass the gavel?
From what I understand it's because Jefferis is now the minority leader, most former speakers get elected as minority leader in the next congress...

But hell I could be dead wrong soooo... :shrug:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:48 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:42 pm I guess I'm too lazy to look it up, but does anyone know why Pelosi didn't pass the gavel?
From what I understand it's because Jefferis is now the minority leader, most former speakers get elected as minority leader in the next congress...

Finally doing some research, it seems you are right. Thanks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Republican energy/Dem energy (Getty)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

CNN hot mike :lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:30 am https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/0 ... s-00076890
A proposed subcommittee to investigate “weaponization” of the federal government — a key demand of House conservatives who delivered Speaker Kevin McCarthy the gavel — would be given sweeping investigatory powers that include explicit authority to review “ongoing criminal investigations.”
What, exactly, can a House subcommitee do with regards to an "ongoing criminal investigation?" Wouldn't that be under the domain of the DOJ? Since DOJ is in the executive branch, wouldn't the separation of powers keep the House from interfering in a DOJ investigation? Do they think that since the DOJ seems too damn timid about charging trump as it is, trying to interfere in their investigations will get them to back off totally? Ugh!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

orlylicious wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:01 pm I expect the incompetence and public displays of civil war in the MAGA GOP will be entertaining. :P
Yeah, but it could also be quite expesive if they screw around with the debt ceiling and push us close to - or worse, into - default.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:47 pm I think it was Rep Ro Khanna on MSNBC this morning. Said he went right into the scrum in the midst of all that mess and boy, he said there were F bombs flying all over the place.

How about that CSpan coverage, I think they had more leeway over where they pointed their cameras since there weren't any rules in place yet.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. They mentioned it on MSNBC. They said the cameras are usually run by government employees who keep the focus narrow, but without any rules their cameras had the run of the place.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

No idea, but Jeffries A-Z Democrat values bit was EPIC!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:37 pm
Kendra wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:47 pm I think it was Rep Ro Khanna on MSNBC this morning. Said he went right into the scrum in the midst of all that mess and boy, he said there were F bombs flying all over the place.

How about that CSpan coverage, I think they had more leeway over where they pointed their cameras since there weren't any rules in place yet.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. They mentioned it on MSNBC. They said the cameras are usually run by government employees who keep the focus narrow, but without any rules their cameras had the run of the place.

Too bad for them, plus for us. Bonus, Katie Porter and her book :thumbsup: :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:40 pm
No idea, but Jeffries A-Z Democrat values bit was EPIC!
:faint:
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:48 pm

No way I'm passing it to the guy who said he'd beat me with it, hahahahaha, so funny.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:30 pm
orlylicious wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:01 pm I expect the incompetence and public displays of civil war in the MAGA GOP will be entertaining. :P
Yeah, but it could also be quite expesive if they screw around with the debt ceiling and push us close to - or worse, into - default.
How is that "America First"?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

About that little dick measuring contest after the 14th vote....
The final night of voting ended with Rep. Mike Rogers (R-AL)—a McCarthy ally—literally lunging at Gaetz over his outspoken opposition to McCarthy and having to be restrained.

Rep. Tim Burchett (R-TN), who found himself in the middle of the altercation, had some choice words for Rogers after the vote in an interview with CNN’s Kate Sullivan. “People shouldn’t be drinking, especially when you’re a redneck, on the House floor,” Burchett said. Ope!

“I would drop him like a bag of dirt,” Burchett continued, referring to Rogers. “Nobody’s gonna put their hands on me. Nobody’s gonna threaten me.”

When reporters later asked McCarthy what happened during the heated incident, he hilariously said, “Oh, nothing.”

Ladies and gentlemen: your 118th Congress.
Democrats in disarray....
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
bob

Post by bob »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:20 pm What, exactly, can a House subcommitee do with regards to an "ongoing criminal investigation?" Wouldn't that be under the domain of the DOJ? Since DOJ is in the executive branch, wouldn't the separation of powers keep the House from interfering in a DOJ investigation? Do they think that since the DOJ seems too damn timid about charging trump as it is, trying to interfere in their investigations will get them to back off totally? Ugh!
I think you answered your own question: (the hope of) increased costs and delay, and to deter future investigations.

Image ImageImage
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Jack Smith is working hard. They may be too late.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Bad Lip Reading :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:42 am Jack Smith is working hard. They may be too late.
My take is they are late; they are very late; they are very, very late; each day they become devastatingly more late; they may indeed be too late.

My frustration/anger in fucking Merrick Garland's fucking snail-crawl toward finally putting in a proper team--two years late--has been replaced by my f/a with the ongoing arrogant chastisement from commentators and experts I like, condescending telling me that I "don't know how the system works" and "this is actually really fast" (yeah, right; see above re fucking snail-crawl--I mean the evidence is right there) and how I'm "going to be so surprised at the massiveness of it all _when_ it pops" (yeah, the "when" has been my only all along, you fucks).

JFC
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:15 am
Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:42 am Jack Smith is working hard. They may be too late.
My take is they are late; they are very late; they are very, very late; each day they become devastatingly more late; they may indeed be too late.
I think she meant it might be too late for the Republican subcommittee to interfere with "ongoing criminal investigations" by the DOJ.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:23 am
p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:15 am
I think she meant it might be too late for the Republican subcommittee to interfere with "ongoing criminal investigations" by the DOJ.
Ah, thanks! :bag:

Which just goes to show how anger blinds a girl.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:yeahthat:

(Meant for sugar’s post, but works for this one, too.)
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:20 pm
Kendra wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:30 am https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/0 ... s-00076890
A proposed subcommittee to investigate “weaponization” of the federal government — a key demand of House conservatives who delivered Speaker Kevin McCarthy the gavel — would be given sweeping investigatory powers that include explicit authority to review “ongoing criminal investigations.”
What, exactly, can a House subcommitee do with regards to an "ongoing criminal investigation?" Wouldn't that be under the domain of the DOJ? Since DOJ is in the executive branch, wouldn't the separation of powers keep the House from interfering in a DOJ investigation? Do they think that since the DOJ seems too damn timid about charging trump as it is, trying to interfere in their investigations will get them to back off totally? Ugh!
If one of the firebrands gets on whatever committee is given this authority, they will certainly try to subpoena DOJ officials to discuss "ongoing criminal investigations". Of course, the only investigations they will be interested in are those involving TFG.

This is clearly a violation of the separation of powers doctrine. The committee will subpoena, the DOJ will refuse, it will end up in court.

The committee will try to shut down such ongoing investigations, even though Congress has no authority to do so. Even if the House were to pass a (clearly unconstitutional) bill to stop the investigation, the Senate would never pass it and Biden would surely veto it.

The next two years are going to be filled with such antics. The radicals who are holding the House of Representatives hostage are not interested in real governing. They are interested in lining their own pockets (and their campaign war chests) and stirring up the base.

Predictions: There will be two years of "investigations" into the DOJ's investigations of the OSG.

There will be two years of investigations of Hunter Biden's laptop.

There will be two years of investigations of the stolen 2020 election.

There will be two years of investigations and persecution of every Democrat in sight.

There will be two years of investigations into Dr. Fauci's role in the "Covid hoax", and the coverup of his role in conspiring with the Chinese to create the virus at their lab in Wuhan.

There will be at least one government shutdown. The budget is set until October, 2023, but we might hit the debt ceiling before that and the morons will refuse to raise it, precipitating a shutdown. Even if that doesn't happen, as we approach October, the children will block attempts to create a budget for fiscal 2024.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

noblepa wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:53 pm :snippity:
Predictions: There will be two years of "investigations" into the DOJ's investigations of the OSG.

There will be two years of investigations of Hunter Biden's laptop.

There will be two years of investigations of the stolen 2020 election.

There will be two years of investigations and persecution of every Democrat in sight.

There will be two years of investigations into Dr. Fauci's role in the "Covid hoax", and the coverup of his role in conspiring with the Chinese to create the virus at their lab in Wuhan.
The only thing you left out is the impeachment of the week... ;)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “Current Politics”