💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
bob

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by bob »

Biggs, Boebert, Crane, Gaetz, and Good so far have voted "present." No one (so far) has voted for anyone other than McCarthy or Jeffries.

Whether they'll last-minute switcheroo (again) remains to be seen.
Image ImageImage
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Luke »

GAETZ still votes PRESENT but...
Greg Price @greg_price11 2m
BREAKING: Rep. Eli Crane just flipped from no on McCarthy to present.
That will do it.
Kevin McCarthy will be the 53rd Speaker of the House on the 15th ballot.
(as long as nobody else acts out)

Well, that was fun. :lol: But #BiscuitForSpeaker was cheated!!!!!!

Teddy Daniels Gaetz.JPG
Teddy Daniels Gaetz.JPG (69.51 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:58 pm Rep. Rogers is wearing an obvious wig. Too bad he didn't get close enough to punch Gaetz in the face. GOP needed to put up a stronger and younger face puncher. Rep. Gallagher is young and good looking, though despicable.

Looks like the ultraMAGA holdouts are going to vote present. That will allow Kevin to win while they will be able to say they never voted for him. What a copout, but their drooling MAGA base will eat it up.
Ahem....I called it.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Rich Baris' lovely wife retweeted this tweet from failed Florida Congressional Candidate Sabatini (truly one of the most repulsive humans on the planet):
Laura Baris Retweeted Anthony Sabatini @AnthonySabatini 16m
RINO Mike Rodgers should eat shit
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Biggs votes present. That lowers it to 216 (Boebert just voted present)
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:30 pm The "Knutsax Four" have proved beyond doubt that being a Congressperson is not what they consider their day job. It's merely a plot device in their performance art reality TV show.
Well, that, and the paycheck..
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Actually it looks like Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee persuaded Matt Gaetz.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McCarthy elected with 216 votes.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Luke

Post by Luke »

OrlyLicious 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious

#KevinMcCarthy didn't even get the majority of the House, he just won because PRESENT votes took the threshold down.😂 15 ballots of humiliation, selling out & God knows what deals to screw the American people. #SpeakerVote #Democrats2024

#BiscuitForSpeaker demands a recount!

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

And it only took 15 rounds of votes. This bodes well for this Congress :lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Was it a full vote, or a half vote?( present vs No)?
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Now
We watch committee assignments
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Danraft wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:45 am Was it a full vote, or a half vote?( present vs No)?
DD535619-3462-4FCC-AC9D-233135948A39.png
DD535619-3462-4FCC-AC9D-233135948A39.png (55.01 KiB) Viewed 632 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Rules package vote still could get interesting. If Kevin can't get it passed and tries to change it, motion to vacate the speaker.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Oh yeah, they can't wait for the Vacate the Chair vote. :lol:

OrlyLicious 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious 1m
🥳 On this morning of MAGA Republican celebration, here's a big, big vote of confidence for #KevinMccarthy from face-of-the-GOP Laura Loomer. #SpeakerVote #SpeakerVotes #SpeakerMcCarthy #InsurrectionConference #LauraLoomer #GOPHouse #Democrats2024 #DemocratsDeliveredIn22

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

McCarthy says first bill before House will repeal funding for hiring additional IRS agents

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
The first bill considered by the new House of Representatives will address a Biden administration initiative to hire additional IRS agents over a 10-year period, Speaker Kevin McCarthy said Saturday morning.

"I know the night is late, but when we come back our very first bill will repeal the funding for 87,000 new IRS agents," he said amid applause from the Republican caucus. "You see, we believe government should be to help you, not go after you."
Some background: The Republican National Committee and several Republican lawmakers have criticized new IRS funding, claiming that it will provide the agency with an “army of 87,000 new IRS agents.”

But that number is misleading. The Treasury Department estimated in 2021 that a nearly $80 billion investment in the IRS could allow the agency to hire 86,852 full-time employees over the course of a decade. But that figure accounts for all workers, not solely enforcement agents.
Scratch a Republican, find a tax cheater.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:43 am McCarthy says first bill before House will repeal funding for hiring additional IRS agents

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
The first bill considered by the new House of Representatives will address a Biden administration initiative to hire additional IRS agents over a 10-year period, Speaker Kevin McCarthy said Saturday morning.

"I know the night is late, but when we come back our very first bill will repeal the funding for 87,000 new IRS agents," he said amid applause from the Republican caucus. "You see, we believe government should be to help you, not go after you."
Some background: The Republican National Committee and several Republican lawmakers have criticized new IRS funding, claiming that it will provide the agency with an “army of 87,000 new IRS agents.”

But that number is misleading. The Treasury Department estimated in 2021 that a nearly $80 billion investment in the IRS could allow the agency to hire 86,852 full-time employees over the course of a decade. But that figure accounts for all workers, not solely enforcement agents.
Scratch a Republican, find a tax cheater.
So, first bill is theater since it will never get past the Senate, and certainly not in a veto-proof form.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Like Tea Party 2010... :sick:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

I have a feeling next week will be much like this week in the chamber. Kevin wanted the job title, that's all that matters to him.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

I lost on the poll. Like always. :(

But this coming week is going to be entertaining.

Katie Porter is my heroine.
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

New Turtle wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:25 am I have a feeling next week will be much like this week in the chamber. Kevin wanted the job title, that's all that matters to him.
Off Topic
Gonzalez doesn't seem to know how Congress works, though.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Can Laura Loomer just be done? Her ego knows no bounds.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: Inventor of flag baseball

Post by Foggy »

I think Gaetz is as damaged as McCarthy. The Flaming A-hole from Florida. I can't be the only one who, if I got on an airplane and they tried to seat me next to him, I would decline and suggest the flight attendants find a high school girl for that seat. "No, this dude really likes underage girls, didn't you know that? He's famous for it!" in a very loud voice.

"But you better watch him, he's an animal." :lol:
I'm Foggy and I forget if I approved this message.

Return to “Current Politics”