💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, "My Kevin" McCarthy House Speaker /Clowns

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Ben-Prime »

qbawl wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:25 pm
SuzieC wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:17 pm Interesting about Feinstein. Any speculation about who Gov. Newsom might appoint?
Nancy Pelosi?
Hunter Biden? :lol: I KEED! I KEED!
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Suranis

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Suranis »

Ya, as though he will keep that promise... :mad:
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:44 am
:pray:
In what universe does he consider this an actual threat?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
much ado

Post by much ado »

Could the Democrats do it? It is very unlikely they can get a Democratic speaker elected. If the Democrats pick out a moderate Republican that they agree they could possibly live with, and all 212 Democrats vote for that Republican, would a handful of Republicans join them? It would be interesting to see.

ETA: Probably not. That would be radically too sane.
bob

Post by bob »

The reality is that any Republican who helps the Democrats elect a compromise Speaker will earn at least one well-founded primary challenger.
Image ImageImage
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:13 am The reality is that any Republican who helps the Democrats elect a compromise Speaker will earn at least one well-founded primary challenger.
Maybe Joe Manchin would consider moving over from the Senate to take up the role as 'independent' speaker.

I doubt he'll win in 24 anyway, so he might as well go out on a historic high. (Gov. Justice might just appoint someone useful to the vacated Senate seat.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:47 am Ya, as though he will keep that promise... :mad:
Throw away the handsome salary of a congressman in exchange for what business prospects? Only birthers do such stupid things ;)
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

E6A13275-3626-43D5-AD32-289C6D4267B8.jpeg
E6A13275-3626-43D5-AD32-289C6D4267B8.jpeg (55.52 KiB) Viewed 743 times
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Seems to me that if he's willing to sign away everything to get elected Speaker, he's more concerned with the title of the position than the power. Oh well, I guess if he even spends one day as Speaker before they throw him out, at least he'll be able to say he was Speaker.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
orlylicious wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:36 pm
Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:26 pm And they don't have anyone else who can get 218 votes.
HEY! There's a brutal, ferocious, savage, dangerous, ruthless, remorseless, merciless, callous, cruel and cold-blooded killer candidate right here.

#BiscuitForSpeaker #OrElse - Biscuit Basket.jpg
I have owned many dogs. I married a cat person, but I am a dog person (and a cat person, but not relevant here).

And I see a dog shedding in a laundry basket with clean laundry that has to be washed again because cute dog photo. Which is, I admit, the cutest dog photo in 2023 so far. But I do laundry, and that basket goes right back in the machine.

And ... just for free, no charge to the forum ... I will give you a maxim. A rule by which to guide your life, short, pithy, and valuable in myriad situations:

Nobody Likes A Wet Dog

Biscuit isn't wet in the photo, but that was the first thing I checked. I have seen the maxim in operation more times than Johnny had appleseeds, and that's a fact.

Wet dogs are smelly, pee yoo. :thumbsup:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:36 pm Hubby ... thought Carl Sagan would work except for the dead thing.
OMG, it's early morning and I'm not supposed to be laughing this loudly. :shh:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:11 am Seems to me that if he's willing to sign away everything to get elected Speaker, he's more concerned with the title of the position than the power.
I think that's exactly right.

The thing is, this guy sold his soul a week ago, and it didn't fetch enough moola to close the deal. Now he's trying to sell his soul AGAIN, for like the fourth or fifteenth time, and the reactionaries are like, "Dude, you sold it to us last week. It ain't worth dog-do at this point. Sorry, dude."

You keep trying to sell your soul like that, people think it's cheap and dirty.

:shrug:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Very detailed (cant copy and paste—too many tabs open)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, fuck that. Democrats are going to help McCarthy be Speaker? Or any other Republican?

No. :talktothehand:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:44 am https: //twitter.com/Acyn/status/1611205867449319424
:pray:
Gaetz: If Democrats join up to elect a moderate Republican, I will resign.

Sounds like a great plan. Approved.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Added bonus: a buncha more seats on committees, a co-chair maybe, or a deputy chair (or whatever you call it, and Gaetz is gone.

Let's see 222 - Santos = 221 - Gaetz = 220.

Love it!
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

I don't think it's that horrible an idea. McCarthy just wants to be speaker, so the Democrats could say:

"We'll make you speaker, but you need to take out the trash. Every one of those 20 people will have every committee assignment pulled, you will take back everything you've promised them, and their districts won't get a cent in appropriations for two whole years. You can tell them to stuff this "one member can remove the speaker' shit. Government can't function that way. What are they going to do, become Democrats? They already think *you're* too far to the left. Also, we don't want them. They've bet everything on more-conservative-than-thou, and you can show how that approach has no future. You can be... a leader."

"You have no majority, Kevin. You have a 8-seat majority and an unappeasable 20-seat bloc. You to make a deal with somebody: it's them or us. And they've already refused to vote for you after you gave them everything they wanted. We're a lot more reasonable."
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:41 am The thing is, this guy sold his soul a week ago, and it didn't fetch enough moola to close the deal. Now he's trying to sell his soul AGAIN, for like the fourth or fifteenth time, and the reactionaries are like, "Dude, you sold it to us last week. It ain't worth dog-do at this point. Sorry, dude."
And McCarthy can just as easily say "Dude, my soul is still mine because you didn't pay for it." He gave these cretins everything they wanted, and they still didn't vote for him, even though his concessions included rendering his own position moot. They're belligerent for the sake of being belligerent. We don't know even know what these people want, except veto power over everything at all times.

The United States government cannot function this way. It's designed to require collaboration and deal-making, even when the minority party is badly out of power (which the Democratic Party is not). We can't have 20 people preventing the country from doing any business. We didn't when one of them was named Mohammed Atta, and we shouldn't now.

The Republican Party needs to deal with its Trumpism problem. This may finally be the breaking point at which they're forced to do it.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

What's the over/under guess on how many ballots will take place today?
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Yeah, but, pubs, and especially McCarthy lies. It doesn't matter if it's in writing, he'll just ignore it cuz he's a proven liar.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:04 pm
I've got 8 lbs of popping corn, I'm set for the long haul.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
That may not be enough.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Popcorn futures rose dramatically yesterday.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

We need the Arizona freight cars filled with popcorn to sustain us for this fight self-immolation.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Current Politics”