💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, "My Kevin" McCarthy House Speaker /Clowns

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
pipistrelle

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by pipistrelle »

Wake me up when the Republicans accidentally vote in my man Hakeem.
Volkonski
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Pretzel Kevin "Only Kevin" "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker? /Clowns

Post by Volkonski »

The Intercept
@theintercept@journa.host
Rep. Kevin McCarthy would have to commit to “shut down the government rather than raise the debt ceiling” in order to win the support of his opponents, Rep. Ralph Norman, a Republican from South Carolina, told reporters.

A reporter asked Norman if he meant default on the debt, as the debt ceiling and a government shutdown are not directly linked.

https://theintercept.com/2023/01/04/ke
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bob

Post by bob »

Rep. Kevin McCarthy would have to commit to “shut down the government rather than raise the debt ceiling” in order to win the support of his opponents, Rep. Ralph Norman, a Republican from South Carolina, told reporters.

A reporter asked Norman if he meant default on the debt, as the debt ceiling and a government shutdown are not directly linked.
And these are basically the only issues at stake. E.g.:

Shapiro is, basically, not entirely wrong. :shock:

The House needs to be open to fund the government (which touches on the debt default, debt ceiling, and a government shutdown). But past that, the rest will be just show: bills to die in the Senate, investigations, and impeachments.

The House may investigate Hunter's peen, or impeach Biden 37 times. But none of that is governance.

I say "not entirely" because an added benefit for Shapiro and his elk is spending on Ukraine; it will be more difficult to obtain. But possible with "routine" politics.
Image ImageImage
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

It sure was nice of the MAGA GOP to restart this in PRIME TIME.

Pizzagate troll and ratfink Mike Cernovich pretty much sums it up:

Cern GOP.JPG
Cern GOP.JPG (42.66 KiB) Viewed 627 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Good explainer about the House Speaker antics. For some reason I can't copy and paste.

https://charlotteclymer.substack.com/p/ ... er#details

https://toad.social/@charlotteclymer@mastodon.social
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Jim wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:12 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:07 pm Can we just move Kevin to Dancing with the Stars already?
He'd be too scared about losing in the first round again.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

The problem remains as I said earlier. Nobody can trust any of the other players to keep their word, so they can't make a deal. They're all scoundrels and they know it.

And the bomb-throwers are having a wonderful time, 20 of them holding the whole nation hostage.

Cherry blossoms!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

:sadtrombone:

Biscuit is up to 14 VOTES (Likes) for Speaker! And the arm and leg breaking by the ferocious 699th hasn't even begun yet. Clearly, Biscuit is more popular than Kevin McCarthy. #BiscuitForSpeaker

8:30PM UPDATE: Biscuit is up to 19 VOTES!!
Frankie’s Fiona @frankies_fiona
Replying to @Orly_licious and @GreggEvans16
I 100% vote for Biscuit!

Biscuit 14.JPG
Biscuit 14.JPG (96.27 KiB) Viewed 540 times

And hmmmm.

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman 1m
🚨🚨🚨BREAKING:
@GOPLeader says he doesn’t want to have a vote tonight. Wants talks to continue. Said they are productive.

MQG retweeted:

Jake Sherman @JakeSherman 39m
🚨 BREAKING IN @PunchbowlNews PM:
@club4growth has cut a major deal with McCarthy-aligned @CLFSuperPAC that paves the way for CLUB to support MCCARTHY

CLF will stop spending in safe open-seat primaries.

This is a BIG gripe of the KM opposition.
What a shock it's over money.

For a few laughs, MQG is now getting ratioed on Twitter (a childish "win" when there are more comments than "likes" on a tweet). This tweet got 9,000 (!) comments, MAGAts are very very Angry at Marj!!

The fun has to end sometime, but America has gotten the point.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Well, they have accomplished one thing. The metal detectors installed after January 6 were removed.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:49 pm Well, they have accomplished one thing. The metal detectors installed after January 6 were removed.

Since they aren't in session, who had the authority to do this?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:51 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:49 pm Well, they have accomplished one thing. The metal detectors installed after January 6 were removed.

Rules are for the little people..

The GOPers do not see themselves bound by such.
bob

Post by bob »

I don't know the bureaucratic details, but the short answer is McCarthy, as the Republican Leader.

I have little doubt there is a rule somewhere that says, in absence of a Speaker, the majority party's leader is authorized to make these kinds of decisions.
Image ImageImage
much ado

Post by much ado »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:56 pm I have little doubt there is a rule somewhere that says, in absence of a Speaker, the majority party's leader is authorized to make these kinds of decisions.
And that probably includes choosing which office he moves into.
bob

Post by bob »

They're presently voting on a motion to adjourn.

The Democrats are voting nay, and it is presently failing. (64 members from both parties have yet to vote.)

One Republican, Gosar(!), so far also voted not to adjourn.

:popcorn:
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

Gosar switched his vote at the last minute (as did a few others), and the motion to adjourn was approved 216-214.
Image ImageImage
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

So maybe it’s because at the moment there are no rules for the House, but I’ve noticed that the clerk is taking action on motions without a second. The 3 motions to adjourn come to mind.

Does the house not normally require a second?
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:56 pm
I don't know the bureaucratic details, but the short answer is McCarthy, as the Republican Leader.

I have little doubt there is a rule somewhere that says, in absence of a Speaker, the majority party's leader is authorized to make these kinds of decisions.
My best swag at this was the detectors were installed via an order from the Speaker of the 117th Congress. And since that speaker & session are no more, then the installation order expired.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

what is the significance behind different colors of congress-elect pins?
bob

Post by bob »

Greatgrey wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:58 pmDoes the house not normally require a second?
I believe yes, but the House isn't operating under its normal rules. Because there are no rules presently.

Greatgrey wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:01 pmMy best swag at this was the detectors were installed via an order from the Speaker of the 117th Congress. And since that speaker & session are no more, then the installation order expired.
That's my next guess, and it dovetails with the first: McCarthy told the ops people that (1) the order installing them will expire on January 3; (2) he'll order them out once he's Speaker; and (3) he's Speaker-designate, so let's just do it ASAP.

The ops people, trying to avoid politics, took the path of least resistance and complied.
Image ImageImage
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

bob wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:12 pm
Greatgrey wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:58 pmDoes the house not normally require a second?
I believe yes, but the House isn't operating under its normal rules. Because there are no rules presently.

Greatgrey wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:01 pmMy best swag at this was the detectors were installed via an order from the Speaker of the 117th Congress. And since that speaker & session are no more, then the installation order expired.
That's my next guess, and it dovetails with the first: McCarthy told the ops people that (1) the order installing them will expire on January 3; (2) he'll order them out once he's Speaker; and (3) he's Speaker-designate, so let's just do it ASAP.

The ops people, trying to avoid politics, took the path of least resistance and complied.
My conspiracy theory was that McCarthy was channeling tfg guy and said “they’re not here to shoot me!” However, he’s not really that popular there right now. :think: :think:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:59 pm So the Tweet above that Orly posted, with Santos all alone with no one to talk to?

Click on the Tweet.

Scroll down to the first replay.

Turn the sound on.

Click play.

:faint:
That is so f'd up!`
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The 11th hour MSNBC. I'm watching Stephanie and Boebert, her guest. Stephanie is doing better than I expected, but Boebert hardly ever shuts up, and she's giving me a headache.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”