Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

It sucks growing old

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:35 pm Just got off the phone with my BIL. My sister collapsed this evening but was able to call 9-1-1.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope it's nothing serious and that all are home and we'll very soon!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:25 pm Bill, does your doctor make house calls? If pneumonia, get her help no matter what she says. Call an ambulance anyway. Bill, speaking from recent experience, pneumonia is no joke. Call the ambulance.
Mornin Phoenix - a quick update on Mrs: It's not pneumonia or covid, she's eating a little, she still sleeps a lot, and we've cancelled our Thanksgiving.

I worked M-W this week. I managed to get an appt with her primary for Thursday morning. Wednesday evening she ate a quarter of a grilled cheese sandwich, and a couple tater tots. They tasted awful to her. Thursday morning she ate some yogurt, applesauce, and a half slice of toasted blueberry bread. That all tasted fine. They took chest xrays, but found no edema indicating pneumonia even though she was coughing up bubble gum. Their PCR test came back negative. So, the doctor thinks it's the flu, and told her to continue taking OTC remedies. She skipped dinner Thursday because she was tired, and nothing sounded good. But, she ate more applesauce and bread just a bit ago. Now she's back in bed.

One foot in front of the other. We ain't dead yet.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

It sucks growing old

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks for the update, bill. Sending positive thoughts to Mrs. Learning how to eat again is hard work. BTDT. Gotta make it a habit.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thanks bill. I won’t worry too much now.

It’s scary how easy it is to skip meals. And when you feel lethargic and crummy, you don’t always make the connection.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Update on my sister: she tripped on a paver in their yard and stopped her fall with her face. Broken nose and such, but no lasting damage. No underlying health issue, just momentary clumsiness. :blackeye:
June bug

It sucks growing old

Post by June bug »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:54 pm Update on my sister: she tripped on a paver in their yard and stopped her fall with her face. Broken nose and such, but no lasting damage. No underlying health issue, just momentary clumsiness. :blackeye:
Sorry about the broken nose, but thank heaven it’s not a health issue!
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Good news.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:10 pmGood news.
:thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

It sucks growing old

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:18 am Thanks bill. I won’t worry too much now.
It’s scary how easy it is to skip meals. And when you feel lethargic and crummy, you don’t always make the connection.
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:28 am Thanks for the update, bill. Sending positive thoughts to Mrs. Learning how to eat again is hard work. BTDT. Gotta make it a habit.
She was feeling good enough to eat half a McD's cheeseburger and medium fry last night. And it tasted good.

Baby steps.
Uninformed

It sucks growing old

Post by Uninformed »

:thumbsup:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Kriselda Gray »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:54 pm Update on my sister: she tripped on a paver in their yard and stopped her fall with her face. Broken nose and such, but no lasting damage. No underlying health issue, just momentary clumsiness. :blackeye:
Ouch for the broken nose, but glad it wasn't anything more serious!
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

OUCH!!!!!!!You may quote me. :shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by Phoenix520 »

Clever sister. I would never have thought to use my face. :mrgreen:

And….OUCH. Feel better.
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

https://www.aarp.org/health/brain-healt ... ealth.html
The 9 Worst Habits for Your Brain
Bad choices and everyday missteps could harm your cognition. Here's how to combat several of them.

1. You accentuate the negative

2. You skip your vaccines

3. You drink sugary beverages

4. You have unhealthy sleep habits

5. You crank up your headphones

6. You regularly take this type of medicine
A wide array of drugs — including tricyclic antidepressants, some overactive bladder medications and some over-the-counter antihistamines — can block the actions of acetylcholine, a brain chemical important for learning and memory. A study found that a higher cumulative use of these drugs was associated with increased incidence of dementia.

If you regularly take a drug in one of these categories, don’t panic, says Yuko Hara, director of aging and Alzheimer’s prevention at the Alzheimer's Drug Discovery Foundation. But if you regularly take a number of these, it makes sense to ask your doctor about the risk of anticholinergics and to discuss whether you should explore alternate medications or other options.

7. You don’t have a sense of purpose

8. You’re not a fan of flossing

9. You have a few drinks per week
RANT: Why "combat" these? How about "avoid"? Is this just a US phenomenon of using fighting terms? Another example is "battled cancer". I removed that from my MIL's obit. She didn't battle it.
AndyinPA
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by AndyinPA »

Good rant!
humblescribe
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by humblescribe »

TRL,

As a defender of usage and general communication, I'd like to point out:

I do not believe that Americans have coopted combat and battle into colloquial, non-military speech. I believe that this is throughout the English speaking world and has been this way for a long time.

To combat as a transitive verb means, inter alia, "to act or work in order to eliminate, curtail, or stop." I concede that it also means to fight against an enemy. To my way of thinking, avoid does not carry as strong a message in this sense. Avoiding implies minimal effort. Combat in this context implies a conscious, perhaps even concerted, effort to succeed.

As to how the term "battle" applies to your MIL, I don't know the facts, so cannot say one way or another if battle were an appropriate verb to use in her case. I can only state that battle, like combat, can be a transitive verb meaning to fight against something.

Words are tricky. Perception sometimes has as much importance as context. Sometimes a pejoration of a word is personal and not generally viewed similarly by others.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

Thanks, humblescribe! I appreciate your insight. I spent over 20 years representing domestic abuse victims and was one myself many years ago. I perhaps am hypervigilant to situations and words which can also mean engaging in physical violence. :biggrin:
humblescribe
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by humblescribe »

:thumbsup: :bighug:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
MsDaisy
Verified:

It sucks growing old

Post by MsDaisy »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:25 pm Bill, does your doctor make house calls? If pneumonia, get her help no matter what she says. Call an ambulance anyway. Bill, speaking from recent experience, pneumonia is no joke. Call the ambulance.
Being the medic on the ambulance back in my day I can assure you Phoenix is correct. Don't hesitate on stuff like that ever if there is any indication of difficulty breathing. Being a breath away from death is a terrifying thing for the patient, for the family and for the medic trying to keep them alive until they get the hospital. My own dear sister died of pneumonia in her bed at home with me. She was mentally handicapped with a severe seizure disorder, I had custody of her after both our parents died. Mentally she never got older than 5 years old though physically she was 48 when she died.

Don't take any chances! :bighug:
W. Kevin Vicklund

It sucks growing old

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Humour with squick factor. You are forewarned.
► Show Spoiler
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... -tips.html?
7 Tips to Improve Your Dental and Oral Health
X affect gums, cavities and even how you should brush. Time to boost your dental hygiene

1. Issue: Arthritis or shoulder problems
The answer: Rig up your toothbrush

If you have mobility or dexterity issues that make toothbrushing difficult, the solution can be as simple as switching to an electric toothbrush, which has a wider handle and does a lot of the work for you. But if you are more comfortable with an old-fashioned toothbrush, try this trick from dentist Joseph M. Calabrese, clinical professor and director of geriatric dental medicine at Boston University. “Slice into a tennis ball on opposite ends and feed the toothbrush handle through. When you brush, hold on to the tennis ball,” he says. (Wrapping a washcloth, or anything that will thicken the grip, around the handle will also work.)

2. Issue: Bleeding gums
The answer: Brush longer

The answer: Brush at least twice a day for at least two minutes (the time it takes to listen to Queen's “We Will Rock You"). Use floss or a small interdental brush to reach in between teeth once a day, and use an antibacterial rinse after cleaning your teeth.

3. Issue: Receding gums
The answer: Give yourself a tooth massage

Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and imagine massaging — not scrubbing — gums.

4. Issue: The return of cavities
The answer: Add more fluoride

5. Issue: A new ‘sweet tooth’
The answer: Plan your treats

6. Issue: Dry mouth
The answer: Make like a ballplayer

So do what baseball players do: Keep water on hand to sip regularly throughout the day and stock up on sugar-free gum. It helps to remove excess food particles and promote the flow of saliva.

7. Issue: Bad breath
The answer: Clean your tongue
pipistrelle

It sucks growing old

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:26 pm https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... -tips.html?

7. Issue: Bad breath
The answer: Clean your tongue
Bad breath can be caused by tonsil stones (trust me). The solution is to have your tonsils removed. If you can find a doctor willing to do it. Good luck with that (trust me).

https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide ... prevention
Tiredretiredlawyer

It sucks growing old

Tonsil stones. Most stuff to look forward to. :(
John Thomas8

It sucks growing old

Post by John Thomas8 »

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”