Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

You first! Scary Bridges!!!!!!!!

Gregg

Re: You first! Scary Bridges!!!!!!!!

Post by Gregg »

Seven Mile Bridge in the Key
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Anyone living in metro Detroit in the 80's would be familiar with the Zilwaukee bridge. Begun in 1979 when I was but a wee tyke, one of the spans tipped down five feet during construction. For most of the decade, the bridge stood, uncompleted, while traffic would back up for hours beacause the drawbridge on the original route of I-75 was raised for boat traffic. They finally completed it in 1988. My father's closest relatives (my grandmother's cousin and his wife) lived in Midland, so at least once a year we went by that bridge. What a relief when it finally opened!

Dr. Vicklund, however, is not so sanguine about it. She also went by that bridge for family gatherings (her parents are from Midland). She has a hard enough time with Big Mac, but between the bend (visible in the picture), the fairly steep rise, and the history, she white-knuckles it whenever we cross. Of course, that means I get to play the "Get her attention just as we start the crossing" game. :whistle:

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:01 pm You would not like living in Pittsburgh. It has the most bridges of any city in the world. But most of them can be crossed very quickly. One, though, comes off of a tunnel that leads to a great view of the city, especially at night. The trick here is not the length of the bridge, but getting into the right lane to get off it or on to the next bridge.

https://youtu.be/pDcIfsGNd2A
Here is another video of the Fort Pitt tunnel. Thank you reminding me of this... It was 30-something years ago I first drove this.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:

He actually started doing that when things first shut down last year. The first few videos he did around the city were really spooky. There was hardly a car in sight.

And as far as the New River Bridge photo that I posted, while I love driving over it, it also makes me nervous because there are no arches, and it feels too open to me. Most of the bridges around here are old enough to have arches, but there's one over the Allegheny River, the Veterans Bridge, that's much newer and also has no arches. It has a spectacular view coming into the city from the North Hills, but I don't like the openness.

I love the spectacular old bridges in European cities, but probably my favorites are the ones in Norway. Fairly large ships can sail under them.

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:58 am Anyone living in metro Detroit in the 80's would be familiar with the Zilwaukee bridge. Begun in 1979 when I was but a wee tyke, one of the spans tipped down five feet during construction. For most of the decade, the bridge stood, uncompleted, while traffic would back up for hours beacause the drawbridge on the original route of I-75 was raised for boat traffic. They finally completed it in 1988. My father's closest relatives (my grandmother's cousin and his wife) lived in Midland, so at least once a year we went by that bridge. What a relief when it finally opened!

Dr. Vicklund, however, is not so sanguine about it. She also went by that bridge for family gatherings (her parents are from Midland). She has a hard enough time with Big Mac, but between the bend (visible in the picture), the fairly steep rise, and the history, she white-knuckles it whenever we cross. Of course, that means I get to play the "Get her attention just as we start the crossing" game. :whistle:
I lived in the Kalamazoo area but remember the news about the collapse. I ended up driving over it a few times a year when I was traveling from NW lower Michigan to Ann Arbor area to either attend a conference at U of M or visit my aunt for a family thanksgiving.
101010 :towel:
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

My candidate:

Try driving it in a 4 x 4 crew cab Dodge dually diesel with a 24 foot horse trailer and four nags behind you.

http://highestbridges.com/wiki/index.ph ... yon_Bridge
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

sterngard friegen wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:03 pm My candidate:

Try driving it in a 4 x 4 crew cab Dodge dually diesel with a 24 foot horse trailer and four nags behind you.

http://highestbridges.com/wiki/index.ph ... yon_Bridge
Are the nags in the back seat of the crew cab or are we talking horses?
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Yes.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Tokyo Bay Aqua Line - has a cool mid bay rest stop in the middle of the Bay then goes to tunnel, Been there many times but my Japanese friends would not let me drive although I asked them many times.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (42.17 KiB) Viewed 3344 times
somerset

Post by somerset »

Not too scary, although very scenic and being high up in a tall bus on an outer lane made you think about what the fall might be like. I took this trip many times to and from HKIA.
Attachments
b151_2.jpeg
b151_2.jpeg (492 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

When I lived at the Lake of the Ozarks, whenever I drove into town, I had to cross the Hurricane Deck bridge, built back in the 30s. It terrified me every time. It was so narrow and the guardrails were so low. They replaced it about a decade or so ago.
448244-M.jpg
448244-M.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Not a bridge, but one week after I got my learner's permit, my father had me drive Schnebly Hill Road, near Sedona, AZ. It's now an off-road Jeep Badge of Honor Trail, but I drove it in a sedan (my grandfather's) that I had never before driven. I literally destroyed the brakes. Start at about 4 minutes to see what it's all about: 20 miles of switchbacks down a canyon on a dirt road with no guardrails.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Start at about 4 minutes to see what it's all about: 20 miles of switchbacks down a canyon on a dirt road with no guardrails.
I'll take your word for it......sez the skeerty cat.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

All of these bridges are gorgeous! My husband white-knuckles anything taller than a step stool, but my biggest complaint about bridges is the walls are always too high to see over. Tunnels, on the other hand.....my shoulders tense up just thinking about that. The Mobile Bay tunnel is about the most I can muster without wigging out.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

How about scary waterfalls? I’ve been doing a lot of hiking along the Niagara escarpment and discovering waterfalls. I’ve been filming videos standing on the brink of the falls much to my friend’s chagrin. :twisted: :twisted:

Here’s a link to a photo of Swayze Falls.

Here’s a link to my video standing on the brink of the falls.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:32 am How about scary waterfalls? I’ve been doing a lot of hiking along the Niagara escarpment and discovering waterfalls. I’ve been filming videos standing on the brink of the falls much to my friend’s chagrin. :twisted: :twisted:

Here’s a link to a photo of Swayze Falls.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31155442@N03/15199196270

Here’s a link to my video standing on the brink of the falls.

https://youtu.be/1JYrci_uRlU
:think: :towel:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

I love this video of me standing on the brink of Upper Balls Falls.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

PaulG wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:59 pm Most scary for me is the Millau Viaduct in France. This guys photo makes it look like a photoshop job.
https://twitter.com/NeilJamesPeter1/sta ... 6050759683
I don't want to cross it. I don't want to be underneath it.

(I don't know how to properly post photos so I just embed some random person's tweet instead.)
Um, no. Hard pass.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

jemcanada2 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:41 am I love this video of me standing on the brink of Upper Balls Falls.

https://youtu.be/ZP3s3W21enk
THAT, I could deal with :lovestruck:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

So far I would cross any of these bridges (bike, walk, car passenger as I don't drive). There are some narrow, high, cliffy roads in parts of Asia I wouldn't go near.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I wanted to walk across the Golden Gate bridge and took a friend with me. We made it as far as the first suicide hotline phone, with him taking "baby steps." Clearly it would take us days to cross at that rate, and he was pale and shaky. He didn't like the movement. I tried to explain the movement makes the bridge more stable, and baby steps weren't going to save him. But no. It was not a rational fear. (I was more afraid of the proximity of the speeding cars to the pedestrian walk, which seemed to be a more rational fear.)
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:00 pm I wanted to walk across the Golden Gate bridge and took a friend with me. We made it as far as the first suicide hotline phone, with him taking "baby steps." Clearly it would take us days to cross at that rate, and he was pale and shaky. He didn't like the movement. I tried to explain the movement makes the bridge more stable, and baby steps weren't going to save him. But no. It was not a rational fear. (I was more afraid of the proximity of the speeding cars to the pedestrian walk, which seemed to be a more rational fear.)
I am not afraid of bridges (modern bridges). I'm a believer in facing your fears. I've overcome my fear of snakes. I've overcome my fear of heights. But I still have to respect those friends/family who harbor fears. I can't fix that.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Rio Grand Gorge Bridge near Taos. I managed to walk a little ways out, but didn't even attempt to get to above the water. :eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Yeah, the scariest thing about the Golden Gate is the traffic & the narrow lanes. I've never had the bandwidth to even think about the height when driving across it.
Image Image Image Image
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

For less scary bridges, how about a trip on any of the four floating bridges located in Washington State?

This is the old Evergreen Point/520 Bridge. It was replaced in 2016 due to fears that it would fail during an earthquake. It had a drawspan so that tall ships could sail past the bridge. The new replacement floating bridge, the Governor Albert D. Rosellini Bridge—Evergreen Point is now the world's longest and widest floating bridge.
old 520 bridge.JPG
old 520 bridge.JPG (334.43 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
The Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge. This is the successor to the oldest floating bridge longer than one mile. It's the second longest floating bridge in the world, second only to the Governor Albert D. Rosellini Bridge—Evergreen Point bridge. This bridge sank in 1990 during reconstruction efforts. It re-opened in 1993.

It's parallel to the Homer M Handley Memorial Bridge. The view is looking east from Seattle towards Mercer Island. The Lacey V. Murrow Bridge (aka the 'I-90' bridge) is on the left, the Homer M Hadley Memorial Bridge is on the right. The Murrow bridge carries eastbound traffic, the Hadley bridge carries westbound traffic.
I90 bridge and Homer M Hadley Memorial Bridge.jpg
I90 bridge and Homer M Hadley Memorial Bridge.jpg (101.44 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
The Hood Canal Bridge. This one is fun, because submarines often cause the bridge to open and you get to sit and wait for the sub to pass through. It sank in 1979 during a storm, and has been replaced by another floating bridge. Took three years to replace this, the third longest floating bridge in the world. This one is in saltwater.
USS Ohio passes through the Hood Canal Bridge.jpg
USS Ohio passes through the Hood Canal Bridge.jpg (388.5 KiB) Viewed 3218 times

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”