Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

🎶It's All About the Bass🎶

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.themusicman.uk/ellen-alaverdyan/
Who Is Ellen Alaverdyan?

Ellen Alaverdyan is a nine-year-old bass player from Las Vegas, Nevada. Ellen has only been playing the bass for one year, yet her impressive riffs show talent way beyond her years.

According to Ellen’s father, Ellen has been musical from a young age. She has also tried instruments such as the ukelele, piano, and drums, although she never quite found her passion for them.

Ellen’s father, who is predominantly a guitarist, allowed Ellen to play his bass, and she has fallen in love with it ever since. Ellen’s father has also assisted her in learning the bass and has guided her with what to play.

Ellen now has a YouTube channel, EllenPlaysBass, where she shares covers of songs that she has learnt on the bass. From The Beatles to Black Sabbath, Ellen has her own unique style and isn’t afraid to share it with the world.
Videos of Ellen playing are at the link.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

It's All About the Bass

Post by Foggy »

Wait, this isn't about bass fishin'?

:confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

It's All About the Bass

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:03 pm Wait, this isn't about bass fishin'?

:confuzzled:
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that..

Having decided not to carp about the title, opening the topic on my phone I found my brain began flounder on the first line.
Ellen Alaverdyan is a nine-year-old bass
A nine-year-old girl bass? This boy didn't even go from soprano to bass until his teen years.

Oh, bass player. I guess I should read more than the first line.

I will go back to my corner and sit on my perch.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

I added musical notes to encourage possible viewers to sing or hum the VERY POPULAR song as they read the thread's title. I am not fishing for thanks, though. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:05 pm I added musical notes to encourage possible viewers to sing or hum the VERY POPULAR song as they read the thread's title. I am not fishing for thanks, though. :biggrin:
Thanks, anyway. Great video!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

She needs to get with Leland, get some tips:

northland10

Post by northland10 »

Maybe she can play this bass as well. They are recording from basically inside the organ chamber so the 32-foot bombarde pipes blend in better outside the church unlike being next to them.

busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

A good bass player is often a stealth band leader as they dictate both tempo and chord changes. A lot of recording engineers and producers started out as bass players.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Since this is (kind of) a Music thread.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy7jdk/ ... -right-now
Why Do Live Music Audiences Suck Right Now?

Unhinged behaviour is everywhere, and that includes screaming “mommy” mid-song and demanding musicians take a BeReal.
by Tatum Van Dam
01 December 2022, 9:15am

After two years of postponed gigs, cancelled festivals and “Zoom performances”, live music is finally back in our lives. Glastonbury actually happened. Phoebe Bridgers did a whole tour! Paramore have been playing “Misery Business” once again. 

But has live music really returned to pre-pandemic levels? Because, by the looks of things online, gig-going has become kind of… chaotic recently. Audience members heckling artists with crude comments, people playing games on their phones mid-performance for TikTok clout, fans bombarding artists with objects (yes, literal objects) – unhinged behaviour at live shows seems to have become commonplace. Expected, even. So what gives? 

It’s difficult to pinpoint the exact reason why respectfully enjoying a performance has been replaced with shouting phrases like “hit the slay button!” or “spit in my mouth!” during an intimate acoustic set, but internet culture might be a good place to start. Social media has created a space for artists to directly connect with their fans, but it can also enable – and foster – the growth of one-sided, parasocial relationships appearing in the form of calling Mitski “Mommy!” as she sings about heartbreak and emotional pain.

Once this behaviour is recorded and posted online, it gains life of its own as an internet trend and snowballs from there. “One thing that I've noticed at concerts a lot is people playing games in the middle of the show, and lifting it up for everyone to see,” says Michala Zappitelli, who works in Artist Relations and Fan Engagement at the Rock N’ Roll Hall of Fame. “And then it's on TikTok the next day. And then, of course, it goes viral. So everyone else thinks it's funny and wants to do it, too. Five years ago, no one would have done this at a concert.”  

Zappitelli’s observation is indicative of a culture obsessed with captured content and curated experiences. In September, a fan's phone was handed to Harry Styles mid-show so that he could take a BeReal. While one lucky BeReal-er is sitting in the internet hall of fame, this expectation puts artists in a tricky position, whereby the focus isn't on the show itself.

“I have a lot of artist friends who have talked about the difficulties of performing more recently with fans insisting on them taking their BeReal photo or taking a selfie with the crowd on the fan’s camera,” says 22-year-old indie artist j solomon. “I do often think about how I would respond to a phone or camera getting thrown onstage.” 

j solomon's worries aren't unfounded. Phones and filming at shows have become a contentious issue as of late. In a now-deleted statement posted on Twitter, Mitski kindly encouraged her fans to put their phones away during her concerts and stay present in the moment. And we’ve all seen how Steve Lacy responded when a camera got thrown at him: by pausing his performance to forcibly smash it before walking off. Perhaps Lacy’s camera smashing is symbolic of a much larger issue: a frustration with a generation whose hive mind mentality is fuelled by a “main character” mindset, and the artists who are tiring of it. 

Equally, while viral songs like Doja Cat’s “Say So” or K CAMP’s “Renegade” might get people revved up online, it's worth investigating how they're received IRL. Over the summer months, it was reported that audience members at Beach House gigs kept leaving after hearing viral TikTok smash “Space Song”. Another clip on TikTok shows a recent Omar Apollo gig, where crowd members remained seated until he played “Evergreen”. Another clip shows Steve Lacy clapping back at his crowd for only knowing the words to the chorus of “Bad Habit” (sidebar: At this point I am convinced that Lacy is being held against his will to complete his tour)
More at the link
Hic sunt dracones
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Bill Murray in Ghostbusters. Scene where museum guard mentions tv show "Bassmasters".

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

northland10

Post by northland10 »

Shifting to a bass that is not steel strings but a bit more fibrous.

And for those who would like to know. how low can you go, here is a compilation of music with basses start with the C below the bass stuff to one octave below that. It starts on that "high" C and goes downhill from there. The vide above makes an appearance near the end as that last note was a low low D.

You may need to have a good set of earphones or subwoofer. It was hard to hear the bass sometimes even with my Bose headphones.

I was sometimes sort of able to get to a Bb (i.e. b-flat below the staff) in my college days but while I can still pul a D and sometimes a C, aging has caused my baritoneness to assert itself, and I have lost resonance in the low areas. However, being a bass/baritone, at least I won't be like my tenor college choir director who told us basses to shape (crescendo and decrescendo) that low b-flat line we had for 4 measures in some piece. Um. sure, no problem. We'll just ignore the fact that it is there or not there. Shaping was not in the cards.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:o :shock:
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Often, when I get sick, I have what I call Ronso days (a reference to the Final Fantasy X video game). My voice drops from it's normal baritone so much that I can hit almost all of the notes in that video, with control. However, this can damage your vocal chords, so I never sing at volume (I do find it soothing at very low volumes). I, of course, always sing the Hymn of the Fayth on Ronso days.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hubby, who has a nice baritone and dreamed of being a “Pip” for Gladys Knight, loves bass singers. I have forwarded to him the many videos just posted.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

This little feller has a voice, wow:

northland10

Post by northland10 »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:43 pm
:thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:33 am This little feller has a voice, wow:

https: //youtu.be/lyekSI_4Qlc
You wait, some record company asshole is gonna come along and decide it needs to be autotuned cause he missed a few notes.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Eww, wholy fark that would sincerely suck.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:19 am Hubby, who has a nice baritone and dreamed of being a “Pip” for Gladys Knight, loves bass singers. I have forwarded to him the many videos just posted.
One of the fun songs I sang high school, as a bass:

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

John Thomas8 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:33 am This little feller has a voice, wow:

He sings with VoicePlay, which is a really good acappella group. Their website is at thevoiceplay.com and they're well worth checking out
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

He does have an amazing voice but putting his singing aside this guy really creeped me out for some reason. I would not be comfortable being around him in person. :?
wavey davey

Post by wavey davey »

northland10 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:07 pm Shifting to a bass that is not steel strings but a bit more fibrous.

I was sometimes sort of able to get to a Bb (i.e. b-flat below the staff) in my college days but while I can still pul a D and sometimes a C, aging has caused my baritoneness to assert itself, and I have lost resonance in the low areas. However, being a bass/baritone, at least I won't be like my tenor college choir director who told us basses to shape (crescendo and decrescendo) that low b-flat line we had for 4 measures in some piece. Um. sure, no problem. We'll just ignore the fact that it is there or not there. Shaping was not in the cards.
I am also a bass/baritone. I can easily hit D2, Db2 is pretty reliable, C2 if I do the setup right. It's easier in the morning for some reason that I don't know. Since I am not a true bass, even though I can hit those notes, I wouldn't say the tone or resonance are as good as a true bass.

Just now, I tried for Bb2 and I was able to do it and it was kinda OK. I don't think I ever tried that before. Below that, it degenerates into atonal motor boating.
Image Image ImageImage

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”